treesitter 23-Aug-14
Panhandleokie 25-Aug-14
treesitter 26-Aug-14
Panhandleokie 26-Aug-14
treesitter 27-Aug-14
Panhandleokie 27-Aug-14
treesitter 28-Aug-14
23-Aug-14
Is there any public land in western oklahoma that holds a decent number of mule deer?

25-Aug-14
There are some at Optima WMA but they are far and few between. They spend more on the flats off the river in the sage brush and crop fields. I suspect Beaver River WMA holds some but I have not seen any over there. There are a few on the National Grasslands in Cimarron Co. but the land is scattered mainly over by the New Mexico/Texas border.

I have harvested Mule Deer bucks the last two years with a muzzleloader/rifle. This was on private ground. Both hog dressed 225-250lbs and were 5x5's. If you come your hunt will be mainly spot and stalk with the stalk up to a mile distance.

Hope this helps.

26-Aug-14
Thanks panhandleokie, I was thinking about going to rita blanca first week of bow. See if I could find an antelope or mule deer.

26-Aug-14
If you come insure you watch the state borders as they are hard to see sometimes especially on the Texas side as the grasslands are on both sides of the border. If camping your best bet would be at Lake Carl Etling. Camp sites are available with bathroom and shower facilities. Also it is out of the wind. Speaking of wind hunting in the area is different than down state. There is some angst with the locals in the panhandle From people from down state taking long shots in the wind and wounding animals. In the area you plan on going your hunt will be more like spot and crawl. Out in the sage there is not much cover and you have to contend with the rattlers. Not trying to discourage you but let you know the realities. If you need any more information just contact me at 580-461-1742. Brad James

27-Aug-14
Thanks Brad, we hunt quite a bit at Canton lake. Won't shoot over 40 yds, personal imposed limit. We are talking bow hunting. How late in the year do you see rattlers still out. Im thinking of going 1st week of November.

27-Aug-14
You will see them then especially around prairie dog towns. Also get you a good pair of tactical knee pads. They will save you from sandburs, goat heads, and cactus when crawling. I literally mean crawling. Each time me and my sons got drew for the rifle antelope hunt we averaged crawling at least 500 yds to get a 250-300 yd rifle shot. Few in OK realize they can get a true western hunt without going to Colorado or New Mexico. We try to keep it a secret out here. Down state people tend to think they can doing anything they want. If you see one of the locals talk to them in a normal manner. It might pay dividends. This part of the state is truly more in tune with Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico than we are the rest of the state.

28-Aug-14
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like it will be fun.

• Sitka Gear