Jeff in MN 19-Oct-14
Drop Tine 19-Oct-14
Jeff in MN 20-Oct-14
Drop Tine 21-Oct-14
Drop Tine 05-Nov-14
Jeff in MN 05-Nov-14
23-Aug-14
Hi All:

I just found out I drew a Wisconsin Wolf License... any help you can provide re Guides and Outfitters for WI Wolves would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Craig

23-Aug-14
I just checked online. I was also drawn. Guessing I got it based on preference points as I had applied every year.

Does anyone know how many were drawn for licenses? I cannot find that information anywhere.

23-Aug-14
I got one too!!!

24-Aug-14
Well make sure you fill them tags........ good luck

24-Aug-14
WTG! Lots of options. What areas do you plan on trying first?

24-Aug-14
I will be focused inside a 50 mile radius of Hayward, more focused to the north half of that radius because I know those areas better. No way will my tag not get punched unless the quota fills too quick.

Is it just me or does it seem a little amazing that at least three bow site users have drawn tags?

24-Aug-14
I got one too, spent the weekend scouting and found some sign.

24-Aug-14
Congrats guys! I agree with Razor. Fill em now! I'm sitting on 2 points :(

If your trapping, while scouting different areas and you find scat pick it up and keep it. One of the best attractants you can have as they'll think there is a new wolf in the area and hunt it down.

24-Aug-14
Archery season gut piles or fresh road kill. Both legal to use as bait. I gladly donated a fresh gut pile to help a local hunter last year. It was a win win day.

25-Aug-14
Jake, don't mean to throw stones, but you are incorrect. According to 2014 wolf regs..."It is illegal to place,use, or hunt over bait or feed for wolves - containing any animal part, animal by-product other than liquid scent or substances that are poisonous to canines." That being said using a gut pile or road kill would be illegal.

25-Aug-14
Good luck and shoot one.

I did not get drawn will be going in next year with 4 points, at 3 now.

25-Aug-14
Nope, I am correct. Heard this straight from a wardens mouth. Gut piles and roadkill are considered natural food sources that are available during that time of year.

You are not allowed to relocate a car kill but dragging it a short distance from the roadway where it was legally killed and setting traps around it is legal. Same goes with gut piles.

25-Aug-14
Well, you didn't place the gut pile or carcass. It is not feed because you did not put it there. (more similar to a food plot) It is not bait because you did not put it there. (again more like a food plot.)

It is certainly meat so there is some doubt, guess a call to a warden would be justified before doing this.

25-Aug-14

maxracx's embedded Photo
maxracx's embedded Photo
Let's agree to disagree....I will not be hunting over a gut pile or carcass.

25-Aug-14
I had a tag last year and still have 6 traps set up for wolves that I could sell. They MB traps with chains, stakes, drags and swivels. If it works, great you do not have to buy and assemble and I make room something else.

26-Aug-14

FiveRs's Link
You could always start in these areas with a howl call. There seems to be areas with territorial wolves that aren't afraid of a little human scent.

27-Aug-14
Appears like wolfs prefer to attack Plott hounds.

Really makes you wonder how many family pet dogs just disappear as a result of a wolf attack. I know it was common for pet dogs to be killed by wolfs in the area where I bear hunted in Minnesota years ago.

27-Aug-14
Interesting that the whole "bait" idea was brought up here... Last year I was lucky enough to draw a tag and I hunted using permanent rifle deer stands where I could see long distances and knew the wolves frequented from trail cameras. I did some calling with both distress calls and howling and had one howling back at me one morning, but that was it. Ended up killing mine (female) as she travelled through with another at about 9am the day prior to the season closing where I was hunting. (Think that mine was actually the last one registered! -Whew!)

I too thought about the "baiting" techniques, but upon closely reading the regulations concluded that road kill, gut piles, etcetera, would be a direct violation as the statute reads therefore scratched my head and didn't go down that path... Upon shooting the wolf I had to bring it in to the DNR office for some biological studies to be completed and a few questions were asked with regards to location of the kill, how many days hunting, sightings, etc. When the biologist got to the "baiting" question I told him that I didn't use any bait, but asked how one would actually bait for wolves under the regulations in place... He did not know either. I also posed the very same question with regards to the legality of gut piles and using road kill carcasses and he didn't have an answer for this either... Sorry I can't clarify this one for you, but it seems like higher authorities can't necessarily either. Perhaps this is one you should take to your local warden and get in writing before the show starts.

Good luck!! Keep us updated.

27-Aug-14
I drew a tag last year and trapped one, if anyone wants advice I could try to help. The first thing I could tell a trapper is to go to one of the wolf trapping seminars put on by the state, there will be a USDA trapper there to answer questions and give demonstrations. Well worth one day and $15.

Calling or the use of dogs later is probably best way for a gunner. Check DNR website for latest dog depredation areas and concentrate efforts there.

27-Aug-14
I also drew a tag. I have talked to different guides both trapping and hunting. I don't know about the trapping with a guide, yes we would set up the traps but then to walk up and shoot it doesn't seem to sporting. The success rate is 4 times the hunting rate so that makes it even a tougher call of which way to go after them.

I would like to hear from some successful hunts on both sides from the hunter not the guides.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

13-Sep-14
I went to the wolf trapping class in Iron River today. I got the bait thing clarified by a DNR official from Madison, state trapper, and others running the class. Local warden was also there during part of this discussion. All were in agreement with the following. I can see why there is confusion.

If you are hunting you cannot be anywhere near meat whether or not it died right there or you moved a road kill or parts of it to the spot. Not even small pieces.

If you are trapping you can use meat and animal parts as a 'lure'. In other words to attract and direct a wolf to step on that 2" spot where your trap pan is.

Trappers can also put whole or large parts of meat, deer kill, road kill (with a possession tag in your posession), whatever out to attract and hold wolfs to your trap area but this needs to be at least 20' from the trap, 25' for state/federal trappers.

Trappers can also place whole bare bones near the trap as an attractant. Now I know what to do with some cow bones that have been laying in one of the pastures that I hunt in.

If anyone goes to one of the next classes let us know if what you hear is the same.

12-Oct-14
I spent the whole day driving logging roads and checking out potential trapping spots. I drove through some of the most beautiful places, of course the colored leaves added to the impact and with many leaves down I could see more. Gorgeous little lakes. Saw a couple trucks that I presume were bow hunters, I know one was bow hunting because we talked. He said he couldn't find acorns, heck they were falling on me all day. Saw and talked to three tribal families gathering boughs. I even saw a little 6 pointer. Just one of those days that will stick for a while.

12-Oct-14
Dan do all whitetail hunters a favor and take the path of least resistance. Good luck getting a wolf.

12-Oct-14
I walked many a mile today with my wife following behind me in the truck in some god forsaken places. Did find some sign and a couple places to put some steel in the ground. Just remember fox and coyote doesn't open till the 18th. Any incidental catches will have to be released. So have a catch pole Handy. I took the class in Rhinelander Saturday. Well worth the time and glad I did.

Good luck!

13-Oct-14
you would also need to have a trapping license to keep any fox or yote caught after the 18th.

13-Oct-14
From the Wisconsin DNR website's frequently asked questions:

"Question 7: Can you use a dead deer to bait coyotes for hunting purposes?

Answer: Hunting coyote, wolf, fox or raccoons over a deer gut pile or a naturally occurring carcass of a deer is not considered baiting. However, carcasses of animals may not be placed out intentionally as bait for hunting any game."

There you go. Print the page off the DNR website and set up over that carcass or gut pile.

13-Oct-14

east fork lodge's embedded Photo
east fork lodge's embedded Photo
Would appreciate it if these guys went away. Chequamagon Nat forest, Ashland Cty, FR 166 near the bridge. Thanks

13-Oct-14
East fork lodge, check your PM's. I am interested in going after one of those.

14-Oct-14
Good luck Jeff. With all this rain I'm sure glad I got some waxed dirt. With a quota of 8 in my first zone it's going to be a drag race.

14-Oct-14
Good luck to you to DT, you only need one of those 8 chips. Or you could even go into overtime and get an overflow slot since they do go one day past the fill date.

Drag race is right, I am headed out to find a few more spots. Maybe some in my backup zone which is about as close as my zone A spots. Two people have told me they have seen wolf in that area this summer.

My hottest tip was a big male standing right on the shoulder a week ago. Couldn't get any closer than 1.5 miles due to the Martin Restoration closed area and private lands and a home right there. It is a long drive too.

14-Oct-14

WausauDug's embedded Photo
WausauDug's embedded Photo
good luck guys, heres some collared inspiration. we've had this one around for 3 years or so

14-Oct-14
Good luck to all you wolf hunters. I sure wish the quota was 3 times what it is but something is better than nothing. Looking forward to seeing pics.

14-Oct-14
Jeff in MN, I haven't ever received a pm, how do I get to them via this site? Thanks

14-Oct-14
east fork-

It should be on the right hand side of the main Wisconsin forum, just above the Summit advertisement.

It should say "Welcome Back east fork lodge", then right below that you should be notified if you have any new private Messages or you can click on the bottom link; "My Private Messages"

14-Oct-14
Thanks

15-Oct-14
From MN WCCO TV..

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A group of protesters plans to shadow wolf hunters in Wisconsin so they can observe their methods. Wisconsin’s third annual wolf hunt began Wednesday. The group, which calls itself the Great Lakes Wolf Patrol, released a statement saying 11 members are operating out of a base camp on public lands in northern Wisconsin. They plan to patrol federal, state and county forest lands searching for wolf hunters and trappers. They say they won’t interfere with the hunt, however. Members of the patrol also shadowed wolf hunters in Montana earlier this fall. A state Department of Natural Resources spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment on the protesters. Wisconsin’s hunt is slated to run until Feb. 28 or until hunters reach the 150-animal statewide kill limit.

15-Oct-14
With videotaping almost certain, here's hoping the hunters/trappers shadowed will be outstanding examples of some of the greatest conservationists in our country's history. I'd guess few things burn an anti more than a hunter/trapper that not only doesn't fit their stereotype, but instead cares more about and knows more about the natural resources than one city slicker brainwashed by another.

15-Oct-14
Maybe those protesters will step on private property and get fined for trespassing. It sure sounds like hunter harassment waiting to happen. The liberal tree huggers need to get a life.

15-Oct-14
I would have the warden's number on speed dial for an HH charge.

15-Oct-14
Speed dial would be great if you could get signal where I am trapping. Wow, 11 people, now that makes the odds of me seeing one of them about as close to zero as me shooting a thirty pointer. If I do I will be polite while they zoom the camera in on my side arm.

I got 9 traps buried today 9.5 hours and 70 miles of mostly fire lanes and logging roads. Had 3 more to go but that would have been another 30 miles to get where I want to put them and might have gotten one in the ground before dark. Hopefully when I run the first 9 tomorrow I won't need to go set those last three. Plan B, just in case, is to set them in the afternoon.

I did run into three guys setting a trap not 10 yards from an atv trail road, and only 6 feet off a dead end spur road that intersected right there. I already had one trap set on that dead end when I saw them and stopped to talk. One guy was tucking dirt in on the trap when another guy tossed a little dirt on the trap from about 2' and it tripped the trap (MB650), then it caught the tip of the other guys glove in the trap. Dare I say Daaa.... So, too many cooks in the kitchen, trap set way too light, and way too close to two roads to avoid grouse hunters dogs. Although I should say the odds of there being a domestic dog at that spot is pretty close to zero.

15-Oct-14
I got four in before I had to head off to work. Christmas in the morning :)

15-Oct-14
I got a call from a friend that has a line on me possibly getting on a farm that just lost a calf to a wolf. Catch is he can't get me in there till Saturday. So, if xmas doesn't come by then I might now have an unexpected option.

16-Oct-14
exciting guys, keep the updates coming

16-Oct-14
Can't wait to see and read the success storys.

16-Oct-14
Very cool thread!

16-Oct-14
Traps were empty this morning. Hope Jeff had some luck!

16-Oct-14
There is no way this "shadowing" doesn't fall under hunter harassment.

16-Oct-14

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Close to getting one, while checking my second set I heard a shot fired just south of my first set. Sounded like small rifle but bigger than 22. I know there are other trapping in that area.

Something tripped the last trap I checked and I believe the trap had a slight hold on it. Reason I think that is that there is 30 inches of chain to the bracket that holds the X crossed rerod stakes. All that chain was up above the dirt. That 30 inches includes the shock spring on the picture. So, it took some effort to get that all lifted above the dirt. There are no signs of digging of any kind, bait was still in the hole. No hair on the trap or ground. As a result I set a second trap about 50 yards from this one. The triped trap was moved back maybe 8 inches center to center from where it was to where it ended up. I am saying I caught a ghost wolf. Don't even need to use a tag on those. If you look close in the pic just above the jaws there is a good size compressed area of sand on top of a leaf. It is oval shaped probably 2" x 3" but no hint that there are separate pads in the print.

On my way into my first area I met a car that stopped so I did too. Had a long talk with him, he lives very near where I had 4 traps, now have 5 there based on info from him. We talked a lot about his concern for his dog while grouse hunting on roads there. I explained how concerned trappers avoid putting traps close to roads. He was surprised that Wolf was open but relieved when I explained the season probably would not last a week and how he could check the internet for closure status.

So, I now have 11 in the ground. Keeping that last one in the truck in case I get another situation like this or if I get the OK to go after the wolf that got the calf.

Update: Two people with significant experience with these MB650 traps say it was probably a deer that got in that trap. Apparently they can slip their foot out of these pretty easy and tend to be curious about the smell of the lures used for yote and wolf..

16-Oct-14
Good luck but use caution. A house dog was caught in a trap by its muzzle in Marathon Co. Dog was fine but stuck. Can't wait to see some harvest pics!

16-Oct-14
That reminds me to throw a bolt cutters in the truck. These MB650 traps are too strong for my old hands to set the trap without mechanical aids much less while fighting with a beast in the trap.

17-Oct-14
At least you know they're around. I met a guy today that told me his boss had wolves most of the fall on his bear bait and gave me his number. Hopefully I can permission to help him out with his problem. 12 wolves registered the first 24 hours.

17-Oct-14
Updated: Funny how the TV news got the Numbers and units wrong.

Zone Quota Harvest Zone Status

Zone 1 - 7 Open

Zone 2- 6 Open

Zone 3- 1 Open

Zone 4- 0 Open

Zone 5- 2 Open

Zone 6- 0 Open

Total 150 16

17-Oct-14
Nothing again today. Freshened up the lure due to the rain last night and back to waiting them out.

17-Oct-14
Up to 28 and Zone 2 closing tomorrow.. That has to be a record. 12 of 15 in 2 1/2 days.

17-Oct-14
I had another trap tripped today, looked exactly like the other one, almost certain it was a deer. These MB650s are apparently doing their job.

Zone 1 where I currently have my traps is at 10 of 32, looks like I could be moving them all to zone 3 in a few days.

Funny that zone 3 had 3 wolfs listed as killed yesterday evening, this evening they have 1 killed. Someone must have brought two dead wolfs back to life.

So, why is zone 2 closing tomorrow when they are still 3 wolfs short of the quota? I thought they went one day past when the quota filled. Looks like a bum deal for people in that zone.

Kind of scares me on what they will do when zone 1 fills, Takes me till around 3:00 to just check my traps. No way could I pull them all and still get done by 3:00 much less by noon.

17-Oct-14

maxracx's embedded Photo
maxracx's embedded Photo
Punched my tag today!!! Took this 55 lb male in Oneida Co near the Willow Flowage. I set the trap yesterday afternoon and he found it sometime during the night. Unit 2 closes tomorrow. Tells me the DNR has no idea how many wolves there are in the North woods. Good luck to those still chasing.

17-Oct-14
Nice job, Max!

17-Oct-14
Way to go Max. Nice to see some results. How does the hide look? Given the weight, probably better than larger wolfs would look.

Yup DNR is clueless on lots of topics, and selling 10 licenses for each wolf in the quota is way too many. Giving hunters a 3 day or 2 week season is just not right, especially given how fast zones are closing.

This drag race as Drop Tine put it is a good way to say it.

17-Oct-14
Remember guys this is a new thing. Why do you think it is going be right out of the box? Give it time but stay involved with political input.

17-Oct-14
Right it is new but not that new. Most zones closed fast last year and no change was made to adjust to it. I am thinking licenses need to be issued for specific zones. Once zone 1 fills I will be racing to move to zone 3 with many others doing the same thing. I suspect that zone 2 people will be moving into zone 1 fast before it closes.

17-Oct-14
New? How long has it been? Three years. How long have we been deer hunting? It takes time to work it out.

17-Oct-14
Ya, and deer management (doe) is pretty much managed by permits for specific units, has been for a long time. Concept is not that different. I would like to hear what the reasoning was that the DNR let all licenses be good statewide.

17-Oct-14
Jeff, just finished skinning him. Hair looks pretty good, very thick across his back. Quite the ordeal to get this thing properly registered. I called in the wolf hotline, next I have to meet the local warden for inspection and to get a tag on the pelt. I am sure that will be a case of 20 questions...

18-Oct-14
I have my Warden on my phone and said just call him and he'll meet me right away if not in the middle of something important. He said he likes to take care of them as quick as possible. If nothing tomorrow I'm not sure weather to ride it out or pull and move elsewhere?? Congrats to those that have filled their tag.

18-Oct-14
Jeff, good point but like I said it's new and maybe some like it that way. I don't know wny it is this way.

18-Oct-14
How hard is it to get a string from the wolf's mouth to the eye socket without damaging the pelt in the process? I am carrying some zip ties and some #12 solid copper wire, hope one of those works. Baffles me why it needs to be attached there. Also have some very thin string to temporarily attach the tag so I can hide the string and tag during pictures.

20 questions, ya and probably more.

18-Oct-14
If you get one and put pictures on any type of forum or social media the wardens have asked to make sure the tag is showing for those. He said for every picture without it showing the tip line lights up and they have to investigate it. Jeff I have a fillet knife in the truck. Just along the gum up the the eye and enlarge it a little. Leave the knife in and slide the zip tie along the knife. Quite easy. Otter, Fisher get tagged the same way. Off to check now.

18-Oct-14
Just got back from meeting with the warden. Very nice guy, asked me the basic who,when,where questions and took the carcass. He said they are over 20 in unit 2 now. Like Droptine said, I used a fillet knife and cut inside the gum line to inside the lower eye lid. Very easy.

Good luck to those still on the hunt.

18-Oct-14
Nothing again this morning. I wonder if they'll short other zones to make up for zone 2 going way over?

18-Oct-14
This was a rushed system, better than none, but when it was being planned years ago a number of folks asked for separate quotas for hunting/trapping, and a later opener so pelts could be prime. Neither happened. Maybe it's time to ask again, but lacking any organized push it won't happen. I also disagree with awarding half the tags by random draw. Some folks have already received two tags while other have three preference points. Makes little sense. All drawn should have to purchase the harvest tag within a certain number of days, or "next on the list" is given the opportunity, too.

18-Oct-14
Jeff, your post on another thread gave me an idea. I am going to mfg. artificial gut piles and decaying gut scent for future wolf hunters :-) I knew there was money this wolf hunting.

18-Oct-14
29 wolves in zone 2 in 3.5 days... Quota was set at 15 something tells me that was way to damm low of a quota.. Or wis has the best hunters and trappers on the planet....

18-Oct-14
First, Smokey excellent business plan. If you need startup money just let me know.

Now zone 1 closes tomorrow with 12 left in the quota. SUCKS! I just put my last trap under ground this afternoon near some good sign. So, pull all the traps tomorrow and if they are all empty then head to zone 3 on Monday. Glad I put fresh bait on all of them today.

How does zone 3 only have 3 killed out of 40? Must be some really poor hunters and trappers there. ;-)

Does anyone remember the discussions we had here years ago about whether we could even come close to getting the quota? Many were saying it would be so hard but a few of us wise old timers said it would be a cake walk. I am still looking for my own cake tho.

18-Oct-14
You know, this drag race as predicted happened and I believe the good news is that the DNR will have to do something. The 1450 people with tags that didn't get a wolf are going to be ticked that they hardly had a chance to hunt/trap them before the season closed. Some may not have gotten out at all yet. They have to cut back from 10 people per quota wolf down to a much smaller number. Maybe like 4. But it is all about the money and more people means more money. Wait a minute, I paid $260-ish for my license, they could draw all non residents like me and make up the difference in revenue even with a much much lower number of licenses. ;-)

18-Oct-14
Zone 4 is closing Sunday afternoon. So I'll be pulling and moving. I'll meet you in zone 3 Jeff :)

19-Oct-14
I plan to start pulling traps at 11:00, might as well give them all the time I can to catch something. Should still be able to get them all pulled by closing time. Some of my 24" rebar is pounded into rock, hope they don't come out too hard.

I am bummed about zone 3, I thought the SE part of sawyer county was in it but it isn't. Need to rethink where I should go.

19-Oct-14
I was just looking at the zones also. Zone 2 wraps around zone 4 on the western and northern sides. I would have to travel to far to get to zone 3. Looks like I'm done. I'm all in on this last check.

Jeff take a good sized pair of vice grips and clamp onto the nut and twist and pull. That's how I get rebar out of frozen ground with my cable restraints for coyote.

19-Oct-14
I already had a vice grip packed and it did work well on all but 3 traps that I knew would be bad ones. The rods actually were bent going into the rock layers. I got those buy twisting a little with the grips while prying with a pick axe.

I had what I think was a wolf track on one trap, moved the leaves away with a stick before tripping the trap and saw it in the sand, below and left of the trap. On another trap there was a 3.5 inch (pad) bear track just left of the trap, one above and a smaller print (less weight applied) up near the dirt hole.

19-Oct-14
When pulling today I had one trap that wouldn't fire. The dog was to long and the pan would bottom out and not fire the trap. A little work with a file and it's fine now but that would have sucked to see a wolf track square on the pan and an unfired trap.

20-Oct-14
Mine seemed to trip kind of hard. They said at the class to set them at 4-6# so I set them at 4. If I put them back out I will be letting that down a little bit. Not sure yet if I want to continue the race right now. Too many things to get done and the rut is getting real close.

21-Oct-14
I here ya on the Jeff. I spent all Sunday afternoon trying to get caught up with the yard work, leaves ect. I had fun with it but it's tell for bowhunting now.

05-Nov-14
Just got asked by a guy at work if I could go to his dad's place which happens to be in zone 6. They have had 2 goats disappear and seen a wolf quite often within 50 yards of the house even during the day. It's a long drive but I'll do what I can to try and help them out.

05-Nov-14
Yup, be a good co worker and do his dad a favor, it is the right thing to do. You lucky dude. Do you need any help? ;-)

• Sitka Gear