Hammer 22-Sep-14
Dampland 23-Sep-14
10orbetter 03-Oct-14
South Farm 03-Oct-14
Buffalo_county 03-Oct-14
JackPine Acres 03-Oct-14
10orbetter 04-Oct-14
24-Aug-14
Based on my recorded past hunting success and relying heavily on the 2014 moon phase calendar, here are the days and times I plan to be on stand. Not saying these are the end-all beat-all but, I have lived by this the last ten years and have enjoyed the best hunting of my life. If I had to choose one day only, it would be Nov. 7. Please note, as I have hunted closer to the rut, I have gotten on stand earlier in the afternoon and always try to spend a full day on stand after Oct. 31. If it benefits one of you, it's been worth sharing. Pass it forward! 2011, was the only year I did not take a deer. That was by choice.

Sept. 17-21 Sunrise to 11 AM Sept. 26-29 1:30 PM until Sunset

October 2-4 1:00 PM until Sunset October 10-13 1:00 PM until Sunset October 16-20 Sunrise until 11:30 AM October 25-28 1:00 PM until Sunset

Nov. 1-3 Sunrise to Sunset Nov. 7-11 Sunrise to Sunset

Two 8 point 130" or better bucks taken on Sept.28 Two 8 point 130' or better bucks taken on October 28 One 150" 9 point taken on Nov. 1 One 9 point 130", One-140" 10 point, and One-130" 8 point taken on Nov.7 One-150" taken on Nov. 11

24-Aug-14
Man you have shot some great bucks........... Thats good information

24-Aug-14
The full moon looks to be on Nov.6 which typically shuts down deer movement in our area. I'm thinking Oct 31-Nov.6 will be primetime if the temps are right.

24-Aug-14
Generally, I have targeted three days before and after a new and full moon.

I have to correct myself, after looking at two of the 8's, 130" is a stretch! Over 120" though and in my book that is still a respectable deer.

RJN you are right. I had Nov. 1 to 3 as best and included Nov. 7 because that has been just a remarkable day for me. I really can't give you a reason why other than moon phase. I never have done anything different on that day.

Like I said, no scientific evidence or fact to this other than what I have recorded. I can tell you that as far as my misses, Nov. 4 has been a cursed day for me. I have blown it 6 times on that day. All were way bigger than anything I ever harvested.

24-Aug-14
I have shot all my best deer, in the late season. That is when the temps are really cold, and weather has been bad, then the weather stalls. The opening is what I call it......

Late season from 11am - 1pm have been my best times, and all after Dec 22..... short window, but if the weather is right, its a killer time.....

The best buck I ever saw, was a easy 160 in clark county is was Nov 3rd 2003, and shot, right under the heart, at 15 yards...... As I was reaching for another arrow, out of my Bruin quiver, he looked right at me, you could see it in his eyes " don't think so mister, see ya"

I will never forget that buck...... I have missed quite a few, more than I care to admit....

Nov3rd has always been good to me........

24-Aug-14
Stories like this keep me going. 13 yrs of bowhunting and the largest buck ive drawn on was a tall wide 6ptr. I capture 130"+ deer on camera and have had 6 mature bucks walk within range but haven't been able to punch the ticket. Maybe this year...

24-Aug-14
Love this thread!! You got me fired up for the season..Congrats on all the great deer. !!! Time for me to schedule some more vacation days at work!!

24-Aug-14

10orbetter's embedded Photo
10orbetter's embedded Photo
Just checked the trail camera. Here is a buck that hit my 15' by 15' backwoods food plot. He is 40 yards from my Nov. 7 stand approaching from the N-NW. Cool looking buck. Would you shoot him? I probably would because he is so interesting. The anticipation is killing me.

25-Aug-14
bgb, thanks for sharing. great buck..!

25-Aug-14
Mt favorite dates are: 1. first 10 days of the season 2. any cold front in Oct 3. Nov 4-12th

26-Aug-14
Past experience says, Opening Day, Nov.7 to 9th,and last week of Late season

27-Aug-14
10/25-11/1;

Seems like many mature bucks will go on a brief "walkabout" for about a day in this time period where they will be vulnerable as they are outside of their core area where they live 95% of their life.

27-Aug-14
Nice Duke.

29-Aug-14
Surprising to me how many like the Nov. 7 date. I've always scheduled my vacation for 2 days before Nov. 7 until 2 days after. Only have to take 3 days of vacation this year as it falls near a weekend.

29-Aug-14
Any day in woods is the right day!!!!!

A TROPHY is in the "EYES OF THE BEHOLDER", its

what you Like, Not us!

Good Luck this Fall!!!!!!

02-Sep-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I don't think moon phase has much if any effect on the timing of the rut. The timing of the rut is based on the length of light in the day (photoperiod) and that's pretty much the same every year on a given date.

If good hunting is based on moon phase, I don't know how November 7th could be good every year since the moon phase could be totally different from year to year on any given date.

I've always paid attention to moon phase but mainly to help guide how I will hunt or to correlate it to expected deer movement.

In northern WI, for me the best dates for bucks being on their feet and moving have been the first 9 days of November or so with November 5th or 6th probably being the peak of movement. I might hunt differently based on the moon phase, but I will for sure be in a tree on those dates.

The attached photo is a November 6th buck.

02-Sep-14
Mike, I agree with your statement that it does not change the timing of the rut as the experts all say photoperiodism is the determining factor. However, I believe it does affect movement within the rut. And, I think I indicated I hunt differently within the moon phase. Nice buck!

03-Sep-14
Nice FIP! Nov. 7 appears to be tied for 2nd.

03-Sep-14
Look at the PY book kill dates for Wisconsin mature bucks, not rocket science. First week, then first 10 days of Nov.

21-Sep-14
Was just looked at the dates of kill for Sept. in the 014 WI kill thread and I am batting 500 on the posted kills. What that means, who knows? I will take a 500 batting average though.

21-Sep-14
Last nite@6pm worked well for my nephew.

21-Sep-14
So Nov. he just put me one over 500! LOL.

21-Sep-14
.501 BA is better then Adrian Peterson.:)

22-Sep-14
Well said Cheesehead Mike. Moon phases may influence movement timing a bit, as does weather in general. The diminishing daylight is the only direct factor though.

Killed my second best buck last year, on November 7th.

The best was killed in '08. November 3rd. Going to hit it hard from Nov. 1st through the 12th.

22-Sep-14
Nice job. I agree with everyone. I never saw FIP's chart before but a long time ago an older fellow hunter (God rest his soul) told me that I should hunt whenever possible Nov. 5th-10th every year. His advice paid off, as I have taken 3 bucks on Nov. 8th, 2 on the 6th, and 2 on the 9th. Last year I tagged out on the 14th. I won't tell you about the ones I missed (or otherwise jacked it up) during that period.

22-Sep-14
I have hunted deer hard all my life and been very successful but one thing (there is of course more than one thing) I have yet to figure out is WHY deer get moving right before and particularly big time after a lite rain? If it rains buckets they vanish before and after for a couple days but if a lite rain is coming or just went I always see deer everywhere and big time right after.

What's you thoughts on why or has this been coincidence 100 times? lol

Maybe a scent change due to pressure and rain. All I know is if there has been a lite rain my azz is getting out there if I am not already.

23-Sep-14
I must be the exception to the rule, as I have never killed a buck in November or December. All of my buck kills (7) have taken place in October(well one was 9/29), with my biggest buck being taken on 10/08.

03-Oct-14
In staying with my own predictions, I will be on stand the next couple of days and will see.

03-Oct-14
I'm hoping tomorrow night is the best...about 6 pm or so would be perfect!

03-Oct-14
opening week has constantly been best for me. between me and a buddy hunting the same farm we have shot or seen 140" deer every year during opening week since we have had this farm. hunting the rut is more fun but hunting that first week is best for trophy opportunity. just my opinion!

03-Oct-14
I'm with Mike the Cheesehead. The last 4 years I've had the good luck of harvesting a 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year-old bucks on either November 5th or 6th. Those 2 days have been magic on my 80 acres.

However, past photo history would also support plenty of buck movement on 10/28.

04-Oct-14
Sat last night, and had 10 different deer in view. One doe fawn came within 40 yards, and a doe with her fawn got to within 70 yards. At the far north end of the property had a 6 come out in the beans and seven other antlerless hit the beans. Two were the twin buck fawns I've seen. Staying on the permitter until the last week of October. Oh about the 25th of October and it will be time to move into their living room. The wind was howling and the temps dropped real fast.

• Sitka Gear