Ungie01201 27-Aug-14
treesitter 27-Aug-14
steve 27-Aug-14
Bloodtrail 27-Aug-14
yukon roz 27-Aug-14
CTCrow 27-Aug-14
treesitter 27-Aug-14
27-Aug-14
Just saw some bucks this morning in my backyard, still full velvet. When do they usually lose it? I haven't taken a buck in velvet yet, although mostly I have gotten them later in the season. I am in Stamford if it matters.

27-Aug-14
In late Aug to early Sept the blood flow stops and then the deer start to rub it off on the trees.

27-Aug-14
You can still shoot them in velvet the first few [weeks] of the season.

Meant days.

27-Aug-14
In my observations usually around sept 5 by the 15 almost all are out if velvet.

27-Aug-14
I have shot a buck the last 2 seasons in velvet. usually the first couple days of season. The bigger ones lose it before the smaller ones... so i obviously i shot smaller ones! lol

I have a couple of big guys on cam I am keeping my fingers crossed on that I see them the first day or 2 and maybe they will still be in velvet. Not counting on either.. haha

27-Aug-14
If you shoot one in velvet, will it rot if left on?

Is it best to remove it yourself?

just in case im lucky early

27-Aug-14
5 TO 16 TH I HAVE SEEN THEM OPENING DAY

27-Aug-14
Treesitter, you do have treat the velvet, typically with a type of formaldehyde injected into the velvet to preserve it. If you get lucky to take one in velvet, you can also just strip it off as it was most likely going to come off in a few days.

27-Aug-14
When you have to peel the velvet the antlers look to white.They look better when the deer rubs it off,trees stain the antlers brown.

27-Aug-14
Blood,

can you buy formaldehyde over the counter?

27-Aug-14
I've shot caribou in velvet but opted to remove it. Never shot a deer in velvet though. A good taxidermist can do the work for you or at least make good recommendations if you're going for a European or do-it-yourself mount.

27-Aug-14
thanks blood and yukon

• Sitka Gear