Brian M. 08-Sep-14
notme 08-Sep-14
Mike in CT 08-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 09-Sep-14
notme 09-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 10-Sep-14
notme 10-Sep-14
28-Aug-14
After 10 years it was bound to happen. Jesus said to bless people that curse me. Well, I bless them.

My wife (on the other hand) is hoppin mad. She took it way worse than me! Lol.

28-Aug-14
Where from?

private or public?

{I also wrote ladies room but deleted it}

28-Aug-14
I once heard that trail cams can be covered by homeowners insurance. Anyone in the know know anything about that?

28-Aug-14
Sorry to hear.

I had a Summit Viper stand that had been cable locked stolen from me my first year hunting.

28-Aug-14
State land. On my other canera on state land I have pictures of 3 people. 1 saw my camera and left it. Looks like the other ones never saw it (although they may have).

28-Aug-14
post their pictures. Maybe some one knows them.

28-Aug-14
If no one stole your other camera there is no need to post pics of them taken by it. You put your cam on state land, anyone has the right to walk by it. Can only hope people are decent enough to see it and not steal it. If you get pictures of people off of a cam that they stole it would be kinda hard to post them.

28-Aug-14
Did you have it in lockbox with python cable lock? It keeps honest people honest when you have it locked up. A thief on the other hand will find a way to steal it, locked or no lock.

28-Aug-14
Sorry to hear Buckkiller - that completely blows!

Smoothie you are very right. The cudde I had stolen years ago was bolted and cable locked... and that had no impact. Dishonest people, will be dishonest. Blech.

Now I just use very large screws and a bear box. If they want to work hard enough to rip it off the tree... well then they are clearly not honest.

28-Aug-14
I had two stolen from private property two years ago on lock boxes but used normal screws to screw it in tree. So with some force they were are to take it. Past two years I have it heavily bolted into a big tree with a heavy duty lock which will be very difficult to cut even with bolt cutters so it did the trick so far but also have a camera mounted 20 feet up pointing at my camera so was actually looking forward to catching them in the act again but hasn't happened ??

28-Aug-14
ROB - I like your idea OF "BAITING" with one camera up high and one low as the bait. I have a POS (piece of shit) treestand that I plan on using for bait to catch the dirtbag that stole 2 treestands from my partner and me last year on private property.

28-Aug-14
Yeah but Gene it's like hunting when u are in the woods deer don't show up but then you see them on the side of the road, same thing when ur ready to catch a thief once you are ready they don't come anymore :)

29-Aug-14
Only had stands stolen .that sucks

29-Aug-14
Rob - I hope you're right and he doesn't show up again. I know that I don't want to see him out there and this thief certainly does not want to be there if my partner is there!

29-Aug-14
This stealing crap that's been going on is BS. I don't care if it's scab hunters or anti's! Someone needs to be caught in the act and charged. Theft is theft, sorry to hear.

29-Aug-14
I've always said that its opportunistic thiefs or antis. Now, do antis go around the woods looking for stuff or just trails? Very few people bear off the trails unless they are looking for something.

Now, when it happened last year on water company, I knew it had to be a hunter because you need peermission to there. Yes, people could just trespass but it is less likely.

29-Aug-14
CTCrow. Once on water property, I was in a valley near a small stream crossing. Wife was up on top of a hill about 300yds away. She shot a doe that evening so the day was not a bust...

But I had two teens on quads zip across the property line about 50 yds east of me, come up to the stream and try to figure out how to cross. They stopped a little ways away and look around, then ride the quads up and literally do a donut around my tree, stop and park. NO IDEA I was 20-25' over their heads. After about 5' of them talking, talking a leak, etc... I said hello.

After cleaning their undies out... they admitted to being startled, asked if there was a way to cross the little stream and then decided to ride back where they came from.

Main point, despite the rules, I think there are folks that live near the watershed use and abuse the property some what un-noticed.

29-Aug-14
This is life in ct .I hunt on a private farm that allows NO ONE access but me and I still see atvs and horse back riders every year .I take thier picture and ask them to leave.They come back you can't be everywhere and they know it.But I still call the cops show them the picture and hope for the best.

30-Aug-14
Thieves suck I very had 1 cam stolen and it bites you in the ass....I've found dozens in the woods over the years and have never touched one. Yukon your situation sounds very familiar we have 130 property to hunt it is posted from all sides. We constantly have dog walkers and hikers....like every day. Some have been very rude/ disrespectful when asked to leave by us and the land owner. Seems a lot of the bird watching dog walking liberals belive that posted/ no trespassing signs only apply to hunters (really). Always drama....

30-Aug-14
i was scouting a piece of WC property this past monday..going down a trail to the swamp that was clearly used by dirt bikes/atv's when i ran into two older ladies and their dogs..we get to chating about the trail and i sorta kinda mention that its basicaly private land open to bow hunting with a certian number of permits issued ..she got all huffy telling me that the WC made walking trails in appreciation of doing buisiness with them and the other trails were made to keep the dirt bikes in the neighborhood occupied , besides if i get shot ill sue....sooo

30-Aug-14
I walked by a cam yesterday and let it be. Maybe if I run into that hunter he will thank me for not stealing it and I will give him advice like put your cam lower then five feet high lol. I wonder what the percentage of hunters out there are the thieves? Ive had one cam and two stands stolen over the years. I had a friend down in VA when i lived there who asked me if i wanted to buy a stand that he stole. I said why are you a scumbag i hate people like you. I said would you like someone stealing your stand and he said no but I dont give a shit about someone elses. Thats their mentallity on that.

30-Aug-14
Spike - I'm glad you said "I had a friend down in VA....." Those are the kind of friends I don't need or want!

07-Sep-14
1 Camera, about ten tree stands stolen over the years. But some years I had up to 20 of them up. Nothing, nothing gets me madder. I think of hunters as morally above most. So to steal (from a fellow hunter yet) is so, so wrong. I can understand how a confrontation with such a person could get out of hand.

08-Sep-14
notme did you give her a good answer ???

08-Sep-14
I'm going to ask a question.

If you leave anything on state land, is it stealing if someone else comes along and takes it????

I say it's 100% stealing, but I'm asking from a LEGAL point of view. Is it considered stealing to take something that appears to be left in the woods open to the public?? What if someone found a backpack, or a pair of sunglasses, or a candy bar?

I know a trail cam strapped to a tree was obviously not dropped or left by accident, but is it stealing?

Has anyone had to find out in a court of law yet?

08-Sep-14
steve, your dang tooten i did..in a nice way..dazzled them with bull s$@t

08-Sep-14
Bob,

Interesting question; having a few lawyers in the family I've actually brought this up in the past and I'll share what they've told me.

Property placed on areas with full free public access still remain property-only the actual owner can freely remove their property. A key factor is if the property has a clearly defined "use"; for example a treestand attached to the tree is clearly being used as intended and could not be considered "lost".

"Lost" property cannot just be picked up and carted home as the finders property however. For example, someone could tuck a climber in some brush next to the tree they plan to hunt from. One must always assume "intent to use" and even if they suspect the property is lost they should make every means possible to find and return the property to its owner. This can be done by bringing the property to the nearest police station or if hunting equipment to the nearest DEEP station.

Basically unless you come across property with a note that says "Please help yourself to "x" property" removal with intent to take possession is stealing.

08-Sep-14
Mike

that makes "legal" sense, and it's the ethical thing to do as well,...the 2 don't always go hand in hand.

Now that I think about it, I guess it's like parking your bike outside a store on the sidewalk. You just can't walk up and take the bike and say "Well, look what someone left on the sidewalk."

There are GOOD people out there too. I took my family to a Christian rock concert in NH a couple of years ago and my wife dropped $80 from her pocket while walking shopping at the booths. I went to lost and found for a laugh, thinking "No one would ever turn in $80". When I asked the young lady, she asked me the denominations, I told her 4 $20's and she handed my the money!!!

08-Sep-14
Mike, say that same stand that was 'hid' in the bushes was there for a length of time. Covered in leaves, falling apart, rusting, etc. Would it still be considered "intent to use", when obviously hasn't been used in quite a while? Or would it then be considered abandoned? How long does something have to stay in one spot to be considered abandoned? Removing an eyesore from a tree before it grows into tree or before someone gets hurt, still considered stealing? I've removed two "junk" hang-on type stands, one was junk, one was salvageable after replacing nuts/bolts and fixing the warp. (disclaimer: I don't steal stands, just asking what your thoughts are)

08-Sep-14
hey BBB , I dropped something at a grateful dead concert once..or was it frank zappa , possibly black Sabbath , very well could've been ozz fest..i don't know , cant remember now.....

08-Sep-14
Brian,

You make a very valid point and my first reaction would be to say common sense should dictate you remove the eyesore or remove an unsafe treestand to prevent serious injury or death. Unfortunately, and I'm sure some here can relate, common sense and the law sometimes don't see eye-to-eye.

To be on the safe side if I saw a stand in really bad shape I would remove it and leave a note; either indicating that I had dropped it off with LE or the DEEP or taken it home and in the latter case I'd leave my email or some means to contact me and indicate if I didn't hear from the owner in a couple of weeks I'd junk the stand.

Great question and great point-thanks!

09-Sep-14
notme

are you sure you dropped it on the ground, or did you just drop it ;)

09-Sep-14
bbb,maybe i was just dropped on my head..the outcome is the same just with less colors..lol

10-Sep-14
notme,

I like you!! You make me laugh.

Good luck this year.

10-Sep-14
bbb , sent you a pm

• Sitka Gear