notme 30-Aug-14
cwc140 30-Aug-14
cwc140 30-Aug-14
Will 30-Aug-14
CJD437 01-Sep-14
CTCrow 01-Sep-14
Bob in Southington 02-Sep-14
29-Aug-14
I might be moving to CT in the near future and a factor in my decision will be public land hunting ease and success. How do you all like hunting in Connecticut and how easy is it to get access or find a spot? Any input anyone has would be great.

29-Aug-14
Private access can be tough....that being said most state land spots in sw/coastal/urban CT hold far more deer than 99% of spots in ma. I've been Hunting CT since 97...

29-Aug-14
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the bow season is pretty long, which is good. The only other reference I have for hunting was the show "Chasing Tail," so I can't say how accurate that actually is.

29-Aug-14
Chasing Tail is very accurate....

29-Aug-14
Yeah. I'm sure it is. You know what i'm getting at though. I would hate to move to a state where I have to go door to door begging hunting access. It looks like there are some public hunting spots and a lengthy bow season, but I wasn't sure how things were for people who actually live there.

29-Aug-14
Chasing tail was a joke. An insult to bowhunters.

State land bow season in the state forests is low pressure. You will rarely run into bow hunters. But there isn't a high density of deer. If you put your time in, you will kill one.

Private land is a lot of No's, but you'll eventually get a Yes. If you like hunting behind the swingset go to Fairfield County. You'll kill deer. If you want hunt state land there's lots of it across the State. And lots of good areas. Let me know if you need help.

29-Aug-14
I kind of felt the same way watching the show. I appreciate the offer. I'll be back on here quite a bit if I end up getting the job and moving there.

29-Aug-14
I kind of felt the same way watching the show. I appreciate the offer. I'll be back on here quite a bit if I end up getting the job and moving there.

29-Aug-14
It's OK, I've killed a bunch of deer on public over the years but you really have to put your time in. CT ain't what it used to be but it's still pretty good. If you put in a hard season worth of hunting you will score.

Best advice I can give you:

ALL STATE LAND IS NOT CREATED EQUAL

30-Aug-14
where are you from and were were you going to move to ? lots of deer in ct

30-Aug-14
I can't believe the amount of pressure on state land now. Most of the spots I hunt have a lot of people moving in.

30-Aug-14
heyyyy ,nothing wrong with hunting swing sets..and the my little pony barbie princess castle is a great blind,,lol

30-Aug-14
I'm from PA but live in Arkansas now. I'm in the Air Force and might be getting transferred to the East Granby area.

30-Aug-14
I'm from PA but live in Arkansas now. I'm in the Air Force and might be getting transferred to the East Granby area.

30-Aug-14
cwc140. It depends. If you remember "the old days" in PA with 60 deer per square mile... then CT will seem like it's slow going in most areas. If you are used to places where you see deer, say, 1 out of 3 - 4 sits, then CT is solid.

Now, if you hunt the southern part of the state, especially if you work it and get some private land spots, you could see many deer almost every sit.

But, say your going to be hunting public land from Hartford north... It's solid, but it's not seeing deer every sit (at least not for me :))

That said, some of the big woods state land areas in the north west, central and eastern parts of the state are just awesome to explore, and you will see deer if you put some time in.

01-Sep-14
Hey an Air Force buddy! Wekcome to Ct. Alot of good advice the rest of the guys are giving you. If you need some help PM me.

01-Sep-14

I would make taxes and personal rights more important than public access for deer hunting in the decision to move to CT. In a recent poll more than 50% of residents want to leave. Me included.

02-Sep-14
Cwc140 if I was u I would move here. Then you won't heave to change your profile.

• Sitka Gear