Buckiller 02-Sep-14
bb 02-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 02-Sep-14
notme 02-Sep-14
Bloodtrail 02-Sep-14
CTCrow 02-Sep-14
bb 02-Sep-14
30-Aug-14
My wife was walking the dog tonight and came across for of my neighbors meeting up talking about a mountain lion in the area. All four saw it over the past week in the same area (within the sane stretch of land between rte 97 and brook rd in Scotland).

All of these people are very reliable sources and have lived in the same area their whole life.

What are the chances???

30-Aug-14
Probably just another bobcat with a mutated long tail. ??

31-Aug-14
I live in Hebron and the neighbors have said the same thing. There are definately lions here, they are just so sparsely distributed the stories can't be verified. My theory is someone brought a bunch of them here from another part of the country and neutered them all so they can't reproduce and get out of control.

31-Aug-14
The chances are very good! They are here because I saw one a few years ago. Not a very big one but it was a mt lion.

31-Aug-14
Caracal. They are here.

31-Aug-14
I have no doubt my next door neighbor saw one. He walked by his back fence gate and it was sitting less than 20 feet from him. It watched him as he watched it and it turned around and walked near his dog (lion didn't even see it cause it was laying by hedgerow. Lion then turned and walked in brush. Completely verifiable.

31-Aug-14
I saw a large bobcat right on my street this morning coming home from the store. This is right next to Mt Southington Ski area, so there's plenty of woods on the ridge from here to Lake Compounce for them to room.

31-Aug-14
Yes they are everywhere but the CT mountain lion has a special power they become invisible in front of cameras! These rediculous Mt. Lion stories crack me up.

31-Aug-14
Ig you can verify a mountain Lion here, by all means do so.

31-Aug-14
Over 60,000 hunters in the state....as many or more cameras somewhere in the woods....and not one photo. C'mon, really.

I liked the smiley face on the original poster, because it was supposed to be funny. Why doesn't someone grab every road kill they can, throw up some cameras and get a pic?

There are no mountain lions here.

31-Aug-14
Friends,

I've known this guy for 12 years and he is no fool. I totally trust him. Besides 3 other people verified they saw it in same area too. You all know that one was killed last year in CT so please stop acting like another is an impossibility.

31-Aug-14
The one killed in Milford was a pet, there is absolutely NO wild population of My. lions. Guys we don't live in the west where you have miles and miles of nothing but timber, you guys act like they have all these places to hide. Not 1 trailcam pic, camera pic, carcass, or track in the mud or snow. It's all a myth and totally stupid!

31-Aug-14
A friend from work said he saw one on his land in Durham. I haven't seen one with my own eyes or on camera, but I don't see why he'd lie about seeing one.

31-Aug-14
He is most likely not lying

31-Aug-14
The one killed in Milford was absolutely not a pet. The DEEP, which has denied the existence of thx cats for years verified that it was a wild male cat whose DNA matched that from a population in SD. They also confirmed that it had been spotted, and DNA matched in WI, MI and NY. Funny how we were never told about the NY sighting until the one was killed in CT. Then we found out a Game Warden's wife had seen it, and her husband tracked it in the snow, collected scat which was DNA tested and apparently entered into some database, because later it was matched to the Milford dead lion.

I have never seen one, but quite a few people have told me that they have. And a couple of those people have a ton if credibility with me. And for the record there have been numerous claims of pictures and tracks. The DEEP likes to say that they can't be verified as being authentic.

31-Aug-14

hunter16's embedded Photo
hunter16's embedded Photo
I know no one will believe me but I shit you not. I was at my parents house the other day to borrow some tools to assemble a stand and I heard a weird noise and I looked up and couldn't believe me eyes. It was a black panther!!! Must of been 150lbs and was starring me down the entire time!

01-Sep-14
Finally! A picture. ;)

01-Sep-14
..."And for the record there have been numerous claims of pictures and tracks. "

There are no shortage of claims of tracks, Photos and sightings. There is a reason DEEP can't verify them.

01-Sep-14
Didn't one get one get hit by a car on the parkway ? I guess you can kill them even if there invisible.LOL

01-Sep-14
Question:

Didn't the DEP bring in fisher-cats but deny it for years? I'm not sure this is true but a good friend told me this. Can anyone confirm?

01-Sep-14
I worked with a guy that lived in Monson MA, close to Stafford, CT and he showed me a trail cam pic of one in the woods behind his house. Also their is confirmed lion scat found in Quabbin reservoir back in 1994. While some sightings may have been missidentified I dont believe they all can be. I was up in VT a couple weeks ago at a nature center and they had a lion sightings map and it was littered with pegs, are you saying all these people were wrong? As for the one hit in CT are people really buying the pet bs?

01-Sep-14
Saw one dead on the road on 691 91 interchange in July. I wish turned around and took a picture. Was gone when I returned from work that afternoon. I'm surprised nobody made light of it. Must've thought it was a dead deer but this thing had a long tail draped over the rumble strips. I know what I saw

01-Sep-14
Here we go again.

01-Sep-14
Here we go again.

01-Sep-14
You realize the cat that was hit by a car in Milford had swim across the Hudson River to get here...makes you think "It really possible" doesn't it?

These cats have to kill one deer a week on average to survive. Where are all the dead deer? They don't eat the whole thing.

Yup, and I know a guy that has a friend that used to work for guy who saw one once. Again :)

How many of you have actually hunted lions and seen one in person, up close? They are huge. Big predators.

01-Sep-14
"These cats have to kill one deer a week on average to survive. Where are all the dead deer? "

It's more likely around here they will kill livestock, sheep, cattle Horses. Easier prey.

01-Sep-14
"These cats have to kill one deer a week on average to survive. Where are all the dead deer? They don't eat the whole thing."

Actually, where small game is thriving, cougars will often feast on that. There are TONS of rabbits where I live.

01-Sep-14
The guide we used in Montana had a mt lion mount that was over 200lbs. Talk about huge! The one I saw was not big but it was a mt lion. I never saw tracks or any sign prior/following this brief encounter. I killed 2 deer that I boned out a few days prior. When I arrived that morning there was a very light rain. I could hear the crows up in that area and thought it would be a good idea to see if I could get a coyote or 2. I crested the hill and could see the area where the remains of the two deer. Nothing was on them but I was moving to a better position when this cat came up the other side of the hill. It saw me and ran back down the side it came from. I remember telling this to Brian M when we shared a pheasant hunt that year. It sounds crazy but I know the difference b/t a bobcat which I've seen numerous times in the woods and in my backyard. My wife took a few pictures with her cell phone a 2 months ago!

01-Sep-14
It's easy to prove...just cough up one photo

01-Sep-14
Buckkiller, yes the CT DEP(at the time) did stock fisher cats. It was in either the late 80's or early 90's. I used to hunt a farm in Salisbury, I started hunting there in the early 90's and worked there in the summers, I remember the biologists coming up there from time to time with tracking equipment as they were introduced with radio collars. The state of CT traded the state of Maine wild turkeys for fishers. Thats how Maine started it's Turkey program and CT got it's fisher cats. I was told that the fishers were introduced to keep CT's turkey and gray squirrel populations in check.

01-Sep-14
A fisher is not a cat. And yes they did dump off a bunch of them years back. I see them often, and have gotten many trail cam pics of them.

01-Sep-14
I used to believe. Now I believe occasional transient cat's work through. If that one from SD did it... it explains things best.

For example say 1 out of 100 sightings is actually a Mt Lion, well, that could suggest that occasionally, one takes a heck of a walk about, and thus is seen in many areas.

A similar deal was the gray wolf killed in Gill MA a few years ago, turns out it was from a pack in Quebec and made it's way down.

Every now and then, one of these critters takes a long walk. But seeing that one, does not = sustaining population of cats.

While I believe occasionally people see one, I dont believe they sustain a population here.

01-Sep-14
I think Will is right. In addition, every sustainable population starts with initial migration of some animals.

01-Sep-14
"Didn't the DEP bring in fisher-cats but deny it for years? I'm not sure this is true but a good friend told me this. Can anyone confirm? "

I believe this is a rubber bullet. can anyone confirm?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On topic... Bears were pretty much non-existent in the 70's. In the early 80's there were sightings primarily in the northwest corner, but were kept quiet, and that went on for several years until the sightings became more frequent, and in more heavily populated areas of the state. Now the bear population around here is has grown to the point that sightings are practically a daily occurrence. There's no keeping it quiet now.

That said, there are enough remote locations, private land, and enough food for a small number of cats to go pretty much unnoticed especially in the northwest corner. There are a lot of misidentified sightings but I have no doubt that there are a few catamounts, mountain lions, cougars, whatever you want to call them here in CT.

01-Sep-14
I doubt you will ever see Lions populate this area. No doubt one of anything could show up here, but that's a far cry from being able to proclaim them living here. Too little land area in CT for Lion to inhabit. Look at how long it took for the one that did show up to meet his end on the highway. I think that would be a common end to any lion trying to inhabit this state. One thing about that Lion....he obviously didn't know how wide the Hudson River is.

02-Sep-14
This topic fascinates me, it has for a long time.

People claiming they have seen a mountain lion is nothing new, but I notice that you almost never hear people say they've spotted a wolf, or a badger, or another large animal that's not supposed to be living around here. (We did have that anaconda story in a NJ lake this summer however.)

There was an article in a CT Magazine over 10 years ago called something like "Seeing Ghosts" that mentioned how a bunch of people have reported sightings. It also said that the DEP says there are no mountain lions in CT, they are cases of mistaken identity. Certainly, many if not most of them are. I noticed that whenever the DEP says that we don't have them here, they follow up with "and if one shows up, it is an escaped pet".

I don't know how anyone who denies the existence of an animal, can ascertain whether or not that nonexistent animal is an escaped pet, but I always found that curious.

The state claimed that the Milford Lion was a pet until it was found to have intact claws and it wasn't neutered, and it had no chip or any other evidence of having ever been in captivity.

Also curious to me was why Mountain Lions are mentioned several times in the Hunting Regulations of CT. There is no mention of Wolverines, or Wolves or Caribou. Why even bring up Mountain Lions? That doesn't prove anything, but it makes me wonder.

If I claim to see a cougar, that doesn't prove the existence of them here in CT, at least not to anyone except myself, (and those who believe me). That's why the DEP can say there is no evidence. Eyewitness sightings are not evidence. Tracks are easy to confuse, and I've seem pictures of what are clearly dog/coyote or bear tracks that were misidentified.

There is a fair amount of evidence, actual verified evidence of cougars in the area. As someone mentioned there is DNA from the Quabbin Reservoir area in MA. There was a kitten killed in NY several years ago (that one had some South American dna, so was either a pet, or the offspring of a pet). And of course, the cat killed in Milford on the Wilbur Cross in 2011 was said to have traveled through NY as well as other more western states on it's crazy journey to CT.

I have spoken with a number of people who claim to personally have seen mountain lions, and of course, I have heard many second and third hand accounts as well. I will say this, people who go on the record as claiming they have seen an Eastern Cougar, totally believe it. And many of there stories are not easy to dismiss.

DO I think that everyone who says they saw a mountain lion actually did? No I do not. Some people lie, and probably many more think they saw one but didn't get a great look at it, or aren't really informed enough to know what they did see. At a quick glance (or in bad light or great distance) a number of animals can be mistaken for other animals.

BUT, When a credible person, whom you have known for years looks you in the eyes and tells you he saw a mountain lion (in Fairfield County) while deer hunting, and that he watched it for close to 10 minutes through a rifle scope, how can I not believe him? He is a very experienced hunter, he's not a liar, and he obviously didn't misidentify something he watched for that long. He stands nothing to gain by telling a story that's not true, in facts he knew full well that many people would not (or do not) believe him.

Recently a Doctor, an orthopedic surgeon, told me he saw one in New Milford, and after spotting it crossing a road, he approached some stopped cop cars and told them about it. They told him that several other people had reported seeing one too.

When I was a Deer Warden in Redding I spoke to several people who insisted that they seen them in town. One, a nurse, who was driving home from work about 2am, said she saw one on the side of Umpawaug Rd. I got the exact area and went to look for tracks, and found nothing. When I spoke to a Redding Animal Control officer I was told that they'd received numerous calls over the last few years (a bunch of them from one section of town). I asked if they passed the information along to the State DEP, and I was told that they used to, but now nobody up there cares about hearing it. I called the state and spoke to the guy who is often quoted as the State DEEP Spokesperson, he told me that they'd never received a credible report from Redding.

One homeowner in Redding, (who says he used to hunt when he lived out west) told me he saw one a couple of times on his property. He said that he called the state and was told that someone would be in touch about coming down to look for tracks and scat, but nobody ever called him or came.

Both of these people in Redding sounded very credible, clearly they believed they saw a big cat. Theses two didn't really understand just how unlikely that would be, and didn't really think they would be called liars by the nonbelievers.

If I see one, I'll know that there was one here, but most people will still not be convinced. They will be sure I was actually seeing a deer, or a coyote or a golden retriever. If I get a picture of one on a trail camera, I'll know that one was here, but many others will say that the pic was photoshopped or was actually taken someplace else. If I see tracks, or scat or a kill, it will be easy to say that those things were faked or I was mistaken.

Only a dead body is really proof. And we only have had one of those (or only one that we know about).

So now the state says that the Milford Cougar was a complete anomaly, and the only one ever. Maybe. But the "one and done" theory is only one possible explanation.

Pretty fascinating topic.

I try to keep an open mind.

02-Sep-14
Great post Ace

02-Sep-14
Did the DEEP every speculate how the cat killed in Milford crossed the Missouri and Mississippi rivers traveling from the Black Hills to CT?

Just seems really unlikely.

02-Sep-14

CTCrow's Link
"but I notice that you almost never hear people say they've spotted a wolf"

I saw 3 wolves in Oxford by the airport about 10 years ago. No, they didn't fly here from canada.

It was i the local paper about 3 days later that some one else also spotted them.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/State-Looking-Into-Wolf-Dog-Attacks-in-Southeastern-Connecticut-252281481.html

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25067744/conn-officials-probe-reports-of-wolf-dogs

But state says they ain't here:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25334265/connecticut-dna-shows-wolf-dog-reports-false

Can you kill something that is not there? If I'm hunting and run into a ML and I shoot it, can I be charged with something or are they not protected?

02-Sep-14
Toonce: The cat took a cab over the bridge on one count and rode in an empty boxcar over the other bridge:o)

At least that's what the transportation biologist said.

02-Sep-14
Crossing the Hudson is a trick by itself.

02-Sep-14
CtCrow

according to a lengthy previous thread we are killing plenty of deer that are not there when they counted. Wait, I have that wrong. We're not killing plenty of deer that are not there, but counted. No, that's not right either. We're counting deer that are not there, and not killing them so,........I'm confused now. Where's V when we need a clear explanation?

02-Sep-14
good post ace.

ive followed tracks one year scouting American legion that were huge . a good 4 1/2 - 5 ft stride that led to a deer carcass under a tree covered with leaves .

my ex stepson and myself followed some big tracks in the snow in new hartford that led to a small stream . we could clearly see tail marks where it sat before it jumped over.

he also saw one cross the road early one morning on the way to work on rt 44 in Goshen coming out of the swamp heading towards the firehouse. he has no reason to lie and has been hunting since he was 3 . this was around the same time dep said the livestock killings might be bears . if I see one ,im taking a shot.at the very least itll prove theyre here.

Crow ,about 3 yrs ago I was going north on rt 8 by the bank st exit , on the south side I saw a dead black wolf just past the bridge . I wasn't traveling my usual mach 120 cause of the statie in front of me , but I saw its head and face and it was no dog or yote . it was gone about a 1/2 hr later . I called dot and deep , they said they never received any calls about any dead animals in the area.

BBB , if santa has 8 tiny reindeer ,which are really caribou, 9 with Rudolph . then where does olive fit in ? sing it youll see . was he excrapulated from the equation ? plenty of people have seen them . some have been run over by them . some down south have taken shots at them flying over . a little magic dust for the deer a little for santa , a little more for santa..makes you go hmmmmm,wait a minute.... ;)

02-Sep-14
BBB, Odo and Lyme can help us with this....they know how to count animals that aren't there, or never are seen. Lol.

02-Sep-14
Notme,

One of the 3 I saw was black.

02-Sep-14
Well I know there are a pair of Giant Lions off of Rte 7 in Kent, I can even supply photos.

• Sitka Gear