Novemberforever 02-Sep-14
CaptMike 02-Sep-14
Novemberforever 02-Sep-14
arpy00 02-Sep-14
CaptMike 02-Sep-14
Duke 03-Sep-14
Badger Bucks 04-Sep-14
31-Aug-14
If I want nice green mid to late October oats when should they be planted if my farm is in central Wisc?

31-Aug-14
Why plant oats? Plant Winter rye now with a strip of brassicas.

01-Sep-14
Now, I wouldn't wait

01-Sep-14
Nice, thoughtless post, NF. Seriously, why do you even waste folks' time with your drivel.

DB: I usually target around the 20-25th of August, but you should be alright for another few days. Timing of rains have been spot on so far for my fall plots.

01-Sep-14
"Nice, thoughtless post, NF. Seriously, why do you even waste folks' time with your drivel."

It stems from a "know it all" type of personality.

02-Sep-14

Novemberforever's Link
Duke and CMike, My response was to hopefully have him think about what cereal grain to plant and why. Here's a thread started by Lickcreek who frankly forgot more about cereal grains for whitetails then all of us on this site knows. Spensd an hour reading the posts my guess is many will pickup some knowledge on the subject.Or just sit back and take unwarranted shots while contributing zippo. Ignorance is bliss.

02-Sep-14
November, I need to learn as much or more than anyone here when it comes to planting. My comment was more to my perception of your post. If you had added that link and verbiage to your original post that was in the second, I would have seen it in a completely different light.

Your second post was informative, the first added zippo. Would we have ever seen your second response without our comments to the first one?

02-Sep-14
" the first added zippo"

My first response gave him a much better alternative to oats or BFO. The op or anyone could have asked why vs. branding my response as "know it all drivel". I've planted WR for 15 years with great results. Once my drivel was challenged I provided a 276 post link from the leading expert of cereal grain food plotting for deer.All of these threads have great info and strong opinions which I enjoy learning from.

02-Sep-14
DB...plant in now..I plant both rye and oats together at the same time. For me, the plants will be just about the right size and tenderness for the deer when I start hunting in Mid-October. Why do I plant both? Because I look for the most economic bang for my very limited bucks. Rye is not too expensive, and oats cost less. My goal is to get the does to "come in" and attract some male friends...and you know the rest of the story from there. I am not trying to feed them long term, I am only interested in feeding myself.

02-Sep-14
Would we have ever seen your second response without our comments to the first one? Apparently challenging your "drivel" was what caused the second post. And just for the record, I did not term what you wrote as "drivel" on this thread, although your know-it-all attitude certainly caused me to agree with it.

03-Sep-14
-Akin to someone asking how to change the oil in a Chevrolet and the reply to it being that you should not bother with a Chevy and just buy a Toyota. And yes, it is a "know it all" attitude, (but then again he has planted WR for 15 years.) Sugarcoat it however you'd like, but I'll call it how I see it and don't need to recant myself by adding additional links and posts.

Let us know how the plot works out, doublebuck... I'll try to get some of my progression pics from a couple new ones I added this summer as the fall rolls out.

04-Sep-14
I'm glad NF got here first - When I read the initial question I thought the exact same thing!

I too prefer winter rye (or wheat) over oats. I like the fact that is more robust in the fall and stays green until spring. NONE of the oats products will be alive by Christmas, given a 'normal' WI winter.

I have been food plotting for 20+ years. I have done side-by-side comparisons between WR and BFO and could not detect any deer preference for one over the other. I can tell you that come spring, the WR was still there for the eating and the oats was just dirt. (Will say that oat plot worked up really nice in the spring due to lack of sod - brassica plots do the same, though.)

To answer the actual question, though, I would say: Plant oats (or WR or WW) anytime between about August 15th and September 10th - whenever you have time and hopefully you can time it just before a rain.

• Sitka Gear