CTCrow 04-Sep-14
rbcss 05-Sep-14
Cavemanrob 05-Sep-14
CTCrow 05-Sep-14
Buckndoe 05-Sep-14
BOWMAN BOB 11-Sep-14
Chuck>>>--------> 11-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
Dose any one know of a good place that will process venison sausage? I live in Montville. I had some made by Salem Prime Cuts last year and it is so salty I can barely do any thing with it and I must of had 20 lbs of the stuff. Do you think I just got a bad batch?

01-Sep-14
Lebanon Green Store

01-Sep-14
Make your own....not hard. Most of cables mixes and him out a in seasoning are very good

01-Sep-14
How much and what kind of fat do you use?

01-Sep-14
You can get pork fat/fat back trimmings at a good butcher shop. I made venny sausage last year. Fun to make but a bitch to clean my grinder/stuffer. The pork fat is like glue.

01-Sep-14
Before you grind, cut it in cubes and put in freezer for two hours. Then grind, will go through like butter!

02-Sep-14

CTCrow's Link
DUP

02-Sep-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo

CTCrow's Link
I've used this place and its great.

http://www.smokehausdeli.com/home.html

02-Sep-14
me too

02-Sep-14
I don't use"fat" i tried straight fat once....gross. depending on the mix I use 2 parts deer to 1 part pork or 1 to 1. Belive it or not most the time large cuts like pork loin/back straps are cheapest....I usually just buy the cheapest pork I can find grind it and mix appropriatly.

04-Sep-14
Adolph's sausage kitchen in Hartford. Run by a bunch of guys from Poland. They do a great job.

04-Sep-14
Second adophs, the place is very clean and the food taste good hot dogs and sausage are out of this world!!

04-Sep-14
When I've made sausage (a total of one time) the recepi called for 3 parts venison, one part lean pork and one part fat.

04-Sep-14

Ace's Link
Try Butcher & Packer (at link).

I have used several of their products and they range from very good to outstanding. Their hotdog mix was amazing.

I have used venison and bear meat and I usually mix it with pork butt which has a fairly high fat content but isn't straight fat. (I think we use 3 to 1 venison to pork butt for the hotdogs)

The exact mix isn't as important (IMO) as some say. The most important thing is that you like the taste. Just make sure you don't make it too dry or use too much seasoning.

We usually mix some up and before we case it up, we fry a small amount to taste it. That way you can adjust the spices.

Warning, Don't do it this way when you are hungry or else you may not end up with any to put in the freezer!

Have fun with it, it's easy. So easy in fact that sometimes we'll get out a hunk of moose meat, grind it, add breakfast sausage seasoning and chopped apples and and onions and fry it up with fresh eggs on a Saturday morning. Dammit, now I'm hungry.

04-Sep-14

CTCrow's Link
Good link ACE. Thanks for sharing.

Someone posted this one here before.

Pilot Seasoning Company 40 Falls Ave Waterbury, CT 06708 1-800-245-1757 Fax (203) 756-7762 [email protected] Monday-Friday 8am-4pm EST

04-Sep-14
Thanks guys I think I am going to make my own. Im just going to keep the odd and ends frozen till I have a couple deer worth.

04-Sep-14
Since we are on the subject, any body makes cured or dry sausage?

05-Sep-14
find a pork shoulder or butt on sale. it will have enough fat on it to make sausage. but make sure your working with cold meat, makes the sausage making easier. you can even add ice cold water while mixing, it helps with the mixing of the spices. I like Italian sausage so I don't use the package seasonings. just use my house hold seasonings to make it.

05-Sep-14
CTCrow, My dad makes a great "cured" sausage, like a summer sausage. he cuts it 50/50 with beef, and I think he started adding pork this year too. This is so the other family members will eat it. I put "Cured" in quotes, because he cooks it too, at very low temp with the oven cracked. If he is ok with it, Ill get the recipe and PM you with it.

05-Sep-14
Thanks

05-Sep-14

Buckndoe's embedded Photo
Buckndoe's embedded Photo
Got one on the gill right now!

11-Sep-14
For the guys looking to make sausage links and patties. A old butcher told me a trick.Instead of using a lot of pork or beef fat.I add olive oil to my sausage mix with seasons and let stand over night in refrigerator,Then make into patties or stuff in casings,Then I vacuum seal and freeze.You still might want to add some fat for taste.But I think the olive oil gives it a great taste.

11-Sep-14
Easy to make I use lems seasoning they have a good variety and taste great. Also as others have said best to grind partially frozen, it goes much easier.

• Sitka Gear