Gusto 01-Sep-14
Jeff in MN 01-Sep-14
TrapperJack 01-Sep-14
Bloodtrail 01-Sep-14
Gusto 01-Sep-14
Bloodtrail 01-Sep-14
Jeff in MN 01-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
Relativity inexperienced bear hunter here.... Quick question... The last week or so I've had pretty good a.m hits on my bait, between 6:30 am and as late as 9am.

I'm thinking I should sit in the morning. What is the best entrance strategy (enter sneaky or get a ride in) ? Enter after first light? Should I bait when I go in? Should I sit all day? Or should I have my helper come get me at noon? Normally baits have been refreshed in early afternoon. I haven't had much for noon to 4pm hits at all . Hits have come from 5ish to dark for p.m hits.

I don't know if I could make an all day sit (14 hours) from 6 am to 8 pm

01-Sep-14
Hits from say 10 till 4 are pretty rare. They might if the weather is cool. Don't try to sit all day, you will eventually start to move around too much plus you will likely need to do your business at some point.

When you go in to hunt try to simulate what you do when baiting as much as possible. If you drive in with a 4 wheeler to bait let it run while baiting so the noise covers your baiting noise. Not so important while baiting but when you come in to hunt and your partner drives you in then the noise of the wheeler while you get into stand comes into play.

Consider baiting early (like 7:00 or 8:00 ish) if you plan to hunt the morning. About the only time we hunt mornings is when we know the bait is being hit soon after baiting and then it is totally normal (from the bears perspective) to bring the hunter in when baiting. We usually only let them hunt a few hours and then walk out to avoid being on stand all day and getting fidigity.

01-Sep-14
Don't double guess yourself. Do what you think first. Keep your routine the same as you been doing. My baits rarely have AM hits so I plan on sitting late afternoon till dark. Most bears are active in the evening. You stand a good chance of scaring off a bear if you approach in the morning and not having him come back vs approaching in the afternoon and having them come normal. Good luck and let us know how the hunt went. I'll be sitting late afternoon Wednesday! PS. Bring a book to pass the time.

01-Sep-14
Good advise above Gusto -

I concur that you dont change things up!

Do some fella's hunt the morning and kill bears - absolutely. They are the minority however.

I would stay with the routine. If your getting shooting light bears hitting in the afternoon - go with that.

I would have someone with you too bait and you get in your stand. Your helper can talk and walk out and leave you behind to wait. If you bait quietly - your partner can leave quietly - dont change.

I would suggest that someone walk in and pick you off the stand if you have not shot your bear!

I too will hunt Wednesday and stay with my routine and see what happens. There used to me and a friend walking in and talking and leaving as we talk our heads off.

I wish you and Trapper the best of luck!

01-Sep-14
Weird thing is that I really haven't had a routine this year. My helper has been battling a nasty cold the last few weeks, so there have been days were the baits went 2-3 days without baiting. Some days baited late morning, some later afternoon. The last few days the baits have been baited daily and hit daily. When I checked pics from the cams the last week I just couldn't believe the amount of a.m action the last week. Also the bears have not been hitting the baits soon after the baits have been freshened.... It's been morning and afternoon /evening hits.

The one thing that's been consistent I guess is that we have used 4 wheelers to run baits each time. That said, and taking the advice above not to overthink myself if I do decide to sit mornings I will have my helper drive me in with the wheeler and place bait.

Thanks for the info and the advice !

01-Sep-14
Sounds like a plan Gusto - make sure u let us know how it turns out!

Good Luck - Shoot straight!

01-Sep-14
Here is a trick, not related to your question. WHEN you shot your bear, if you are tracking it after dark leave the 4 wheeler running at the bait. Makes keeping your bearings in the dark a lot easier with that noise and headlight as a reference point.

• Sitka Gear