Ben Farmer 24-Sep-14
Flintknocker 27-Sep-14
Jeff Durnell 28-Sep-14
Flintknocker 28-Sep-14
Jeff Durnell 28-Sep-14
03-Sep-14
hows the apples and acorns in your area

03-Sep-14
Lots of apples in coulumbia and surrounding counties. Have not noticed acorns yet?

03-Sep-14
There are apples all over the place in this part of Clarion county. If the chestnut and saw tooth oaks in my yard are any indication, then the acorns should be good out there.

03-Sep-14
Great mast crop in the area of NE Ohio and NW PA I have scouted so far. Lots and lots of acorns in my spots. Apples are hit and miss, some of my spots are loaded and some only a short distance away have none. The last few years seems we get several days of warm weather in early May and the apples bloom, not long after they bloom we get frost in low lying areas. Happened something like 4 out of the last 6 years around here. We are farther North than most of you guys.

Mike

03-Sep-14
lots of acorns in Pike Co. hitting the deck and roof and squirrels are having a field day! ;-)

04-Sep-14

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Apples hanging out over the soybeans.

04-Sep-14

Acorns next to one of my stands.

04-Sep-14

Deer also eat the green briar.

04-Sep-14

Huckleberries.

04-Sep-14

These crab apples will get as big as a golf ball and turn red. (Still sour tho.)

04-Sep-14

Saw tooth oaks will produce acorns in 10 years. Deer love them.

04-Sep-14

I will be planting 6 off springs of this chestnut tree back over the hill this fall.

04-Sep-14

I have a trail camera pointed at this apple tree.

04-Sep-14

5 does.

05-Sep-14

These grapes are in my yard, but the entire area is covered with wild grapes.

05-Sep-14
There was a great elderberry crop around here earlier but they are gone. All kinds of mushrooms and other fungi popping up too.

05-Sep-14
I have had 9 pickings from my 2 elderberry bushes which are no higher than 10''. I usually end up with about 1 to 2 gal for Jelly but this year I figure I have 6 gal! The local crabapple tree has limbs bent to the ground right now with apples. Sumacs are loaded.

Bad winter comin eh?

05-Sep-14
Anyone find any Sheepshead mushrooms yet? I wanted to go following the last batch of rain we had, but was working too much o.t. I'm gonna go check my ol' faithful spot tomorrow morning... if nothing, I'll check after the cool weather and rain that is coming this week. I didn't get much last year, so I've GOT to replentish my supply this year.

I have a lot of new ground to investigate since I moved recently, and hope to find a couple new Sheepshead spots. I also heard from a very reliable source that someone is finding a bunch of Chanterelles right handy here to my place :^)

05-Sep-14
Nope, but every other kind of mushroom Jeff.

05-Sep-14
Nope, but every other kind of mushroom Jeff.

06-Sep-14
anyone had luck finding apples or acorns in tioga pa

24-Sep-14
I was out over weekend. Checked my secret spots for morels and not a one was found. I'm very disappointed. Crabapples the size of apples this year with all this rainfall. Way more soybeans than corn this year in 5C. Winter wheat is in and up now. As every year, deer will focus on acorns till the pickings get slim

24-Sep-14
Acorns everywhere on the properties I hunt in SW Pa! Lots of apples on the one property I hunt that has apple trees.

I was in Ohio a couple weeks ago and the apple trees that had tons on them last year were bare this year.

27-Sep-14
It's all as spotty this year as one could hope. Smattering of white oak here and there, a couple few locations with a 'respectable number'. Whites have not done well here at all since the massive gypsy moth infestation of 1983. Red oaks are just as spotty for location-wise...but where they 'is', they IS !!.. especially the trees in 15" dia. and up. Much to my surprise, after nearly fifteen years of 'dearth' the chestnut oaks are LOADED on the steep south facing ridges, and barren as an 18 yr. old cow everywhere else. Some smattering of black cherry, easy to tell which ones had 'em as the turks and coons have it all torn up underneath. If there are grapes I can't find 'em yet. Apples, some...on the trees what didn't have them last year, also more predominant on the south sides I've noticed. No beech whatsoever. Hickory, moderate to good. Autumn olive loaded, what bears aren't busy raping the white oaks are in the AO. (mostly the smaller bear ;) Suspect they'll get company as the bigger brutes finish up the white oak, but the bear will go back to the red oak before den up. Scrub oak has so many corns on them you can't see the leaves. What concerns me most just now is we are drying up so fast here I expect an early drop of nearly everything unless we get rain...real soon.

Jeff, dry weather has made 'shrooms darn scarce here of any kind. Although as I came home from a junket the other morning..I happened to luckily look in the side rear view just in time to catch white...and took nearly fifteen pounds of oysters from one small dead cherry tree. I've been eating them breakfast, lunch and dinner ;)

28-Sep-14
Ewww, good eye, Ed. I 'roadhunt' mushrooms on occasion too :^)

28-Sep-14
Jeff,

Always good to see you in print:) I miss ya :) Doe..we've never met. I'm so behind..I can see my own arse in the distance..and it looks like the tailight on a 51 Chevy coup..(original bulb :) Know you've been there ;) Doesn't stop me though...from reveling in a find like above..and spending my time bagging my bag...thinking of a whole slew of folks..wish were right there with me. Know what I mean ;)

e

28-Sep-14
Yepper. I thought of you yesterday off and on. Starting over kinda... tho not to the extent you have. Recalled a conversation we had about 'doers' too. I spent four weekends shoveling tons of earthen material, carried, mixed and finished one ton of cement by hand in the basement. Then yesterday got a truck and poured about 9 yards of concrete in my soon-to-be bowshop... and today my body is hurtin in places it shouldn't. Used to do this stuff every day virtually painfree. Guess I ain't in my 20's no mo. Eh, but it's good exercise. Ya know... what don't kill ya....

8.75 yards. Figured good... had less than 2 wheelbarrows of concrete left over :^)

I'm behind too bro... way behind. Always, it seems? Lol

• Sitka Gear