smokey 04-Sep-14
Zinger 04-Sep-14
Duke 04-Sep-14
Amoebus 04-Sep-14
10orbetter 04-Sep-14
10orbetter 04-Sep-14
Novemberforever 04-Sep-14
03-Sep-14
In my opinion, the reintroduction of the Elk in Wisconsin is a flop. It's like the old bridge to nowhere in Milwaukee. I would like to see an attempt at introducing a Woodland Caribou herd in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP. Is there enough wild lands for a migration route? Would it be more successful than Elk? Is it worth the effort? Unlike the elk, could it actually produce a new hunting opportunity? Would an established herd take predator pressure off the whitetail?

I think there is room for a herd in the upper midwest and would like to see money and effort shifted to their introduction. It could be a cooperative effort with all three states involved.

03-Sep-14
By the sound of it, some people would like to see the reintroduction of the whitetail deer. I actually laughed out loud at my own funny comment!

Give that damn crossbow some time, and you'll be wishing for the same thing 10. Funny thing is, the modern rifle with a far greater amount of hunters has yet to evaporate the herd......yet the crossbow in its awesomness is going to accomplish this very thing......according to some.

03-Sep-14
By the sound of it, some people would like to see the reintroduction of the whitetail deer. I actually laughed out loud at my own funny comment!

Give that damn crossbow some time, and you'll be wishing for the same thing 10. Funny thing is, the modern rifle with a far greater amount of hunters has yet to evaporate the herd......yet the crossbow in its awesomness is going to accomplish this very thing......according to some.

03-Sep-14
There are a handful of Bou in northern Mn. Minnesota has real issues keeping the moose herd stable let alone a horrible deer situation. I highly doubt Bou would ever be introduced. #1 question from the bio dudes is are they indigenous?

03-Sep-14
Not sure Nov. Good question, I thought they were and at one time and a reintroduction was being looked at.

I raised the question because we really have to question what the state is doing with Elk? I do not believe any white man will see a Wisconsin Elk hunt opportunity in my lifetime, so what is the point? Lets redirect resources to something that has a better chance of being successful.

03-Sep-14
The last batch brought up from Kentucky to Black River falls? was a trade for ruffed grouse. I agree, the elk program has been a wolf hot lunch program.

04-Sep-14
Before the elk were introduced the DNR was directed to see which species would be best to introduce. Moose, Elk or Woodland Caribou.

Moose have issues transmitting disease to deer. Woodland Caribou have serious problems surviving introduction so it was the elk that got the nod.

Yes, woodland caribou were once present in WI.

04-Sep-14
I don't believe that woodland caribous migrate much if any. Until something is done to control the wolves I don't see the point of introducing any large animal in the area.

04-Sep-14
I personally think much time, effort, and money could be focused on other areas... Seems to me that this would be adding another poor decision onto an already existing poor decision.

There is a reason why caribou and elk are no longer naturally here in Wisconsin. They are not needed for the ecosystem to survive and thrive.

04-Sep-14
There are no woodland caribou in MN (any more). I remember reading about a small herd that crossed over near Grand Marais 10, maybe 15 years ago, but they got bored or died the same year.

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading that the caribou historically were in the NE 1/4 of the state, the moose were spread down through most of the state, and the deer were mostly in the bottom 2/3rds of the state. There were elk throughout also.

When humans showed up, the elk moved west, the moose moved north and the caribou were pushed further north. The deer filled in the spaces left vacant.

04-Sep-14

10orbetter's embedded Photo
10orbetter's embedded Photo
As far as Woodland Caribou Migrating Check this out from a recent business trip to the sub arctic boreal forest. This is at about the 57th parallel. Woodland caribou area. They do move in herds but, maybe not far enough to call it a typical migration.

04-Sep-14
It would be cool to be the only state in the lower 48 with a Caribou season. Archery only of course! LOL

04-Sep-14
" Archery only of course!"

No, it would have to be CrossBou only.:)

• Sitka Gear