RutNut@work 25-Sep-14
RutNut@work 29-Sep-14
Bloodtrail 29-Sep-14
Jeff in MN 30-Sep-14
RutNut@work 30-Sep-14
Jeff in MN 30-Sep-14
RutNut@work 30-Sep-14
07-Sep-14
I have seen several pics on FB and some hunting forums with pics of deer at illegal bait/feed sites. There was even a Buffalo county outfitter that had such pics on FB. This tells me that the fine for illegal baiting/feeding is not high enough. It also tells me the DNR really needs to get off their a$$ and enforce this. Mineral is illegal people.

07-Sep-14
Rut - Not only do people post pictures of illegal bait sites - they put videos on YouTube - Hunter not wearing a backtag - Plywood covering hollow logs for bears held down by a cinder block - all illegal.

More than once I have seen backtags clearly not displayed as required on Youtube on a Wisconsin bowhunt video. Take a look and you'll see what I mean!

Some people are idiots and post this stuff - there are many violations out their Rut - problem is - not many wardens out there. It's not "just" a baiting violation problem!

The amount of the fine means nothing to most folks! First offense OWI is well over a 1,000 dollars now after all said and done - people still choose to drink and drive.

And yes, the Wardens are out doing the best they can with limited staffing.

07-Sep-14
BT, I agree wardens are way under staffed. But for some of this stuff they could have an intern search the web and forward violations to the warden. My comment about them getting off their butts was more so directed at non field DNR staff.

07-Sep-14
I agree. Its laughable.

07-Sep-14
I talk to many people who do not realize you cannot place mineral/bait until the season starts. I always read the regulation book but I think that if a landowner wants to put out a few gallons of whatever, they should be able to do so year round.

07-Sep-14
I've seen the trail camera pictures also but how is the law on putting out legal minerals last season and them still being there all summer long?

07-Sep-14
Zinger, it's your responsibility to have them cleaned up. I'm not saying I agree with the law as it pertains to mineral. But we don't get to pick which laws we follow.

08-Sep-14
A guy in town posted on Facebook pics of 2 different bucks he bow killed. Bragging both up. Even said "bigger than the one Igot a week ago". WI allows only 1. He got a ticket & fine after someone sent a link to the DNR.

08-Sep-14
Ted Nugent has been busted for multiple violations he aired on 2 shows...Gotta love pure ignorance. Most don't realize mineral falls under the bait laws. So mineral sites need to be cleaned up at season close,mineral is illegal in 1/2 the state year around, the other 1/2 is deer season only, 2 gallons/40 acres only. Have fun with the monsterraxx.

08-Sep-14
Hunting law violation is no different than ATV law violations, Boating law violations and Snowmobile.

The common thread here is their is not enough staff to go around to enforce all the violations - all the time!

There is simply not enough law enforcement for DWI violations - speeding/reckless driving and burglaries.

"Some" of those violations (Hunting/ATV/Boating/DWI) slip thru the cracks because there is simply no one there to take enforcement action.

We may not like that - and I am not saying this is right, because it's not - BUT that's the way it's always been and unfortunately will always be.

08-Sep-14
I agree BT and that's why the tipline works quite well for the wardens.

08-Sep-14
We had some guys start hunting land adjacent our property. Soon after we noticed a stand right on the property line with a strange looking rock about 10 yards away in the middle of their shooting lane. This is in Dane County, right in the middle of the CWD NO BAITING ANYTIME FOR ANY REASON region. IGNORANT. Either they don't know the law or think their neighbors are too stupid to notice the salt block.

Since it is for sale at every sporting goods store in the state, I'd almost forgive them if it is the former. HOWEVER, just because you can buy something does not mean it is legal to use it everywhere. (See "Fireworks stands")

08-Sep-14
I have seen some really bold if not stupid posts by guys that don't know it is illegal or just don't care. I agree with this thread. If we find anything illegal then call the warden.

Interesting thing with mineral. Areas where baiting is legal it can be placed like other baits; 24 hours prior to opener. I do not see anywhere that it has to be removed at the end of season however.

If you come back and place a camera over it in the off season then that is illegal. If the site is hunted over the next season but still has leached mineral in the soil that too would be a violation. A warden told be that all the mineral has to be "neutralized" at last ten days before site can be used.

08-Sep-14
Welome to WI deer hunting... for every illegal baiter... There is prolly a 100 more....

It's the atmosphere we allow by not banning it completely..... There is zero integrity in Deer hunting in WI.... everyone's kill is diminished by this type of BS...

But like Howwatt or what ever name he's hiding behind said...." go ahead and illegal bait.. just don't be stupid and post those pics"..LoL... you mean like Kulas use too....I agree .. that is another kind of stupid...

08-Sep-14
So if we ban baiting - there wont be anyone that illegally baits? Ah ya, that'll work!

There's folks baiting bear illegally as we speak - should we ban that as well?

AW - you never stop amazing me.

08-Sep-14
"So if we ban baiting - there wont be anyone that illegally baits? Ah ya, that'll work!"

So BT because something is hard to enforce we should just ignore those that violate?

09-Sep-14
Not at all Rut -

Your talking about two different things! One - banning the practice and Two - penalizing those that violate.

What I am saying is: If you or anyone else thinks that by banning legal practices of baiting of deer - bear...will put an end to illegal baiting - your living on another planet!

I am sure there are folks right now...as we speak...in the CWD zones... baiting!! That is illegal - but it still goes on.

To think by making something illegal will simply solve the problem makes little sense.

Well, too many people driving drunk...killing people...let's ban driving automobiles?

I dont care what law you or anyone else comes up with - we will always have someone violating that law!

So to me - to penelize the good people that abide by the law and enjoy this practice of deer and bear hunting - makes very, very little sense!

Penalty? Want to talk penalties in this State? Let's take a "peek" at the BIG picture!

We have pretty much decriminalized marijuana in this State. Yet some want harsher fines for baiting and other civil forfitures? Interesting!

I have a hard time with that as those that wish to partake in consuming one more illegal drug in this State all too often walk with a small civil fine - in some parts of this State I would pay more for "failure to stop for a stop sign" citation!

Drug and alcohol violations and consumption are resposible for more deaths, injuries, domestic violence, child abuse and countless other violations in this State as well as the incarceration of thousands of inmates jailed at your expense and mine!

Now that is ridiculous!

However.

I would encourage anyone that spots any violation including a baiting violation to conatct the tip-line or local warden with that information.

We as Sportsman have an important role in policing our own people.

If your not part of the solution - your part of the problem!

09-Sep-14
Good post Bloodtrail.

09-Sep-14
"which is why I don’t have a beef with any kind of legal baiting"

As long as you keep it legal this time Ronny. That was not easy for you in the past. You paid your fines though and hopefully learned your lessons.

There will always be violators and crime. Adding laws does not prevent it but it does restrict/reduce it. People drive drunk, yes, but how many would do so without laws and stiff fines preventing it? Murders happen yet those caught can spend their whole life in jail. The laws do reduce the occurences.

Baiting is banned in much of the state and that will expand as CWD spreads out and it will continue to spread. I really believe the time is coming where baiting will be banned state wide.

09-Sep-14
States that allow legal limited baiting are the exception not the norm. Only Ohio and Kansas allow it statewide. Wi.,Pa., and Mi., allow it in parts of the state and no other state allows it in the midwest. Foodplots will never go away. Try writing a reg to define a foodplot vs. an ag field vs. an apple orchard. Do what's legal and enjoy everyday.

09-Sep-14
If its illegal... and it is banned.. it is far easier to enforce.. I know poachers will still break the law... Heck we had guys that testified at the capital on behalf of hunting groups still violate the law and dump a spike in the pile... LOL

Point is you will still have idiots... but a state wide ba would give us less Idiots and much easier enforcement so our wardens can stop wasting precious man hours on one violator.... With a ban there is no investigation. ... it is either there or its not... period.. much easier to enforce...

The fact folks still bait in banned counties isn't a savior .... it's just proof how foolish and greedy people can be for a stupid deer.

09-Sep-14
Antler Whore says -

"If its illegal... and it is banned.. it is far easier to enforce"

Well if we follow that line of "thinkin" our society should simply ban everything - that way...it will be easier to enforce! Here's a few we should start with!!

Dogs running at large - BAN IT - nobody can own a dog!!

Turning Right at a red stop light - BAN IT - nobody can turn right on red!

People keeping undersized bass - BAN IT - Nobody can fish for bass anymore!

People in snowmobile accident while intoxicated - BAN IT - Nobody can operate a snowmobile.

Makes perfect sense too me!

Antler Whore -

I'm just wondering how many investigations you have conducted over the years?

What kinda of "enforcement" experience do you have?

You gotta have a bunch load under your belt to make those statements?

Truth be told, Antler Whore - you really dont have a clue as to what (A) an investigation requires and (B) how to conduct one. But some how, some way you know it will be much easier? How do you know that...since you have never done anything close to an investigation other than watching a TV show?

Your statements regarding investigations holds little water.

It would be much like me trying to tell a semi-truck driver just how to handle that rig on icy roadways! Other than the obvious "slow down" - I'm clueless!

Driving a semi tractor trailer unit period - I dont have a clue!

One thing you do and do very well Antler Whore is amaze me!

10-Sep-14
I love that guy...LoL.. He still pisses people off even after 12 years later...obsess much... see a shrink already..

Too Funny

10-Sep-14
Does anyone else see the irony of a convicted baiting violator (Ronny) calling out someone else (AW) for baiting? Follows the thread title perfectly - Violators sure are ballsy!

10-Sep-14
And this guy he thinks I am.. is still bothering him all this time?? 12 years later???Wow.. he has some issues..

I never baited in my life! Well except birds and Bears anyway..LOL

15-Sep-14
I just got word that the violators I referenced above were visited by the Warden yesterday while on stand. (Must have gotten an anonymous tip....)

Seems two guys got it for illegal baiting (multiple salt blocks under both their stands) and not wearing their backtags. The same warden visits me once a year to check license and such. I'll have to ask for details if I see him.

17-Sep-14
Just like Freddy Krueger he is back. Hook him him out a here for good.

18-Sep-14
That's great to hear Badger Bucks

18-Sep-14
Glunker --

Don't you find it funny how a convicted violator calls out people who have NEVER been convicted of a hunting violation?

18-Sep-14
"If its illegal... and it is banned.. it is far easier to enforce"

Is that kinda like the Chicago gun bans that work real well and were easy to enforce and helped reduce crime? lol.... Making something illegal does not necessarily change anything.

I have always believed most violators would do it regardless. Its like poaching.....Its illegal but guys still do it.

Here in MI they just changed the baiting laws. Instead of baiting only being legal starting on Oct 1st at the start of Bow season you can now start baiting 2 weeks prior. Some think it will have a huge impact on harvest numbers because 1-2 week is about what it takes for deer if in an area to start patterning to a bait pile. Now on opening day deer will be standing over bait instead of a week or two later.

Either it will have some kind of impact or the hunters just wont need to spend as much time in the woods to get a deer. The youth and early antlerless guys are probably very happy that they can now bait.

18-Sep-14
Why yes Hammer.. it is exactly like the gun ban in Chicago.. except for one thing your not Killin people with a bait... are you telling me it would not be easier to see and investigate a bait if they are all illegal? ?

Now .. weeks are spent trying to catch guys violating in legal baiting counties if they even get investigated at all. No warden stumbles onto a violator and writes a citation they cant...

If it's illegal.. they can stumble on to check and issue immediately Just ask Ronny.. but where it's legal. They need to take several trips to the site set up monitoring.. jump through all kinds of hoops just to issue 1 citation? ?

18-Sep-14
" are you telling me it would not be easier to see and investigate a bait if they are all illegal? ?"

That's what I am saying. It will make no difference! There was a guy on this very state forum who illegally baited. Regardless of his reason he did it. Bottom line is a person chooses to violate or they don't. Making all baiting illegal will not change that at all IMO. The good guys would honor it just like they do now by not baiting a week or two early. Those who choose to violate will still take there chances.

By the way....If it is illegal or legal to bait what difference would it have on finding an illegal bait pile? Illegal bait piles are found in no baiting zones or legal baiting zones early and before the season. How do you figure that would change? An illegal baiter will just stop baiting just short of the season so his bait is not seen. lol... Think about it.

We have a pretty large TB zone and people still illegally bait. If it was legal it would not create more illegal baiters. Same applies in reveres. If it illegal to bait it wont make illegal baiters stop IMO. The impact would be negligible either way.

19-Sep-14
Good point Hammer - I have found talking to AW you'd have better progress talking to a lawn chair!

19-Sep-14
"Why yes Hammer.. it is exactly like the gun ban in Chicago"

Yeah and how did that turn out? Chicago has more shootings with illegal guns now than they did before the stupid ban so your theory holds no water. Now that the ban has been lifted we will see if shootings go up or down. I bet you in a couple years they will fall. Your less apt to point your illegal gun at a guy if you think he might be slinging lead at you 1st with his legal weapon he now can carry. lol

19-Sep-14
The issue is much more simple than all these arguments. People have become unethical. People steal, speed, use drugs, sell drugs, trespass, use too much bait, etc. Game violators have learned that the chance of getting caught is slim due to the lack of DNR wardens. There's just too many "me" people that only think of themselves. It's a sad state of affairs.

20-Sep-14
Hammer, what is your stake in the crossbow industry?

20-Sep-14
Rut,

I have none. I am just another hunter like most and I think some of the claims and garbage thrown out there on Xbows is bunk and unfair to those using them. Of course this is a violators thread so not sure this is the place to discuss Xbows.

20-Sep-14
Keep in mind that just because there is a mineral block out too early or in a CWD zone does not in itself mean that it is illegal. I believe that it is still legal for active pasture land to have mineral or salt present. If someone hunts that same pasture land I think they can hunt wherever they want to.

On the stores selling bait, or mineral how is this for an example? You cannot use bait in MN. Mineral is not considered bait in MN as long as there are no feed particles in it. So why does that FF even sell mineral with foods added to it in their MN stores? This is in the sporting goods dept, not the farm dept.

I know a guy that works in the sporting goods dept of a FF in MN and have overheard him encouraging customers to buy the food/mineral blocks. For the last few years that particular area even banned salt and mineral because of a CWD emergency rule. So guess where I found a brand new looking mineral block with food in it. Under his stand, not part of a pasture. I told the landowner, not sure what happened after that.

22-Sep-14
STINKY JIM ... agree 100% ..people know no one is watching what they do as far as baiting and if they are legal or not.

So they decide their personal gratification is more important then the law or the rest of the hunting public so they decide to take advantage.. it not just about having enough wardens.

It is about the ridiculous amount of warden hours required to investigate and get a baiting violating to stick in court. If baiting was illegal. The hours needed would be significantly reduced as it is cut and dry either there was bait or there wasnt.. Easy to see and photo and send that in with GPS numbers to a warden. All that then needs to happen is writing the citation.

Much easier and better enforcement.

To think hunters will clean up their act on their own.. is the pipe dream.

Yes there still will be violators ..but as they get easily caught more will comply and not do it.. and that makes a huge problem much smaller by a statewide uniform ban

22-Sep-14
This is another one of those threads that should be pulled. It pins hunters against hunters something the industry does not need. Even if there was a warden on every farm there would be illegal activity, it is the same type of thing in the city with police.

22-Sep-14
Jeff, the only way someone can have mineral out before the season. Is if it is within 50 yards of an inhabited dwelling.

23-Sep-14
Hunting isn't a industry... it's a lifestyle...Industry tries to make that lifestyle easier and more applicable for more folks to sell their crap.

You can end pitting hunters against hunters by retaining si me fair rules and regs.. .. today .. The rules and regs are not ruling or regulating.

25-Sep-14
Rut, so if a farmer puts out mineral for his cattle it has to be near his house?

25-Sep-14
Jeff, I'm sure a farmer could put cattle mineral out in a pasture anywhere. But when people have the mineral in places that have no cattle near them with a trail cam over it, that probably wouldn't fly. I think it's a silly law, but it is a law none the less.

29-Sep-14
So keeping in the theme of this thread. I live on the edge of Bloomer, we have 7 acres of yard and field. Today at about 4:30 my 15 year old son comes in and tells me there is someone running around on a 4 wheeler in our field. Thinking it must be the snowmobile club putting signs up early I wasn't alarmed, but went out to look. Well I can hear a wheeler winding out, but can't see them. Right away I knew they had to be stuck in the water way where the my kids have created a mini mud pit with our atv's.

I walk out there and here is a middle aged man and a kid about twelve with their 4-wheeler buried. They said they saw the 4 wheeler trail in the field and just thought it would be a fun place to ride. I explained that it was private land and that maybe asking permission could have saved them getting stuck. I pulled them out with my four wheeler as the whole field is very wet and I didn't want anyone else in it. No thank you, no apology, nothing. So although I didn't press charges, this guy was a violator, and yup sure was ballsy. The sad part is what this guy was teaching his nephew. I must be getting old because not long ago this would have really pi$$ed me off.

29-Sep-14
Well Rut your definitely a good samaritian!

30-Sep-14
Rut, can I play in your mud hole with my pickup truck next time I am in the area? ;-)

Do those people even know you? Yes ballsy for sure.

A few days ago a tree service crew is cleaning up storm mess at a neighbors place. I notice the owner of the business cutting branches off a tree across the road and 120 yards from the property they were working on. I went over and said that I didn't think the (owners name) property went this far north. He said it doesn't, I was just getting a log out over here. (uprooted by the storm) A couple hours later I notice the logs are in his truck so I called him on it. Next day we notice he took another tree that had most of the top broken off that he was ballsy enough to drop the rest of it and take two logs off that one. Net is he got really mad at me and dumped the logs off his truck. Next day the owners called the sheriff. He is likely going to get a theft of timber citation. Two red oak logs 20" in diameter both 12-6 long, Eight others in the 12-14 inch range that are 8-6 up to 12-6 long. None of it veneer quality but still worth a bit of change.

30-Sep-14
Sure jeff, but if I remember right you drive a Dodge, so it would probably get stuck;) No the people didn't know me, although they did know it was private property. Their family owns a bar down the road from my house.

30-Sep-14
Wow Rut, you have a very good memory. Yes, I probably would get it stuck, otherwise it would only mean that I did not have enough fun.

30-Sep-14
I found out today that it wasn't an uncle with the kid but Grandpa. That makes it worse in my opinion.

• Sitka Gear