elkmtngear 19-Oct-17
deer 11-Sep-19
08-Sep-14

elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
Been chasing pigs around since late Spring...finally had this nice young boar come in at last light!

Story and some video is at the link

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Sep-14
Congrats Jeff on some good eats!

08-Sep-14
Congrats Jeff on some good eats!

09-Sep-14
Nice... congrats. Ed F

06-Oct-14

elkmtngear's Link
Got another one...big boar this time. I'm on a roll ;)

Story at the link

Best of Luck, Jeff

06-Oct-14
Am I interpreting your photo correctly and are you shooting your bow with a finger tab? If so, KUDOS!

07-Oct-14
Well done!! BBQ time!

07-Oct-14
Well done!!

08-Oct-14
Thanks guys...yeah Tony, tab and no sights (whisker biscuit)

I really could probably switch to shooting trad...but elk hunting is my passion, and sometimes I have to hold my draw for a long time.

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Oct-14
I heard that San Diego county is paying to have hogs eradicated in the county. They estimate there are around 1000. They won't open parks to hunting but will pay to have them shot. I want to go on record that I will save taxpayers money and only charge .10 for every hog I shot down there.

08-Oct-14
"I heard that San Diego county is paying to have hogs eradicated in the county. They estimate there are around 1000. They won't open parks to hunting but will pay to have them shot. I want to go on record that I will save taxpayers money and only charge .10 for every hog I shot down there".

Just having hunters pay for the pig tags would increase revenue!

I guess you can't expect too much common sense when you get down there!

08-Oct-14
Hunting San Diego hogs is a lesson in madness. They live in the most crazy places and their numbers are so low, you'll be lucky to hike many miles and find reasonable sign. I've devoted dozens of miles, 5 digit elevation gain/loss, and many days of scouting/hunting and only ever found sign that was at least a week old.

They've been talking about eradication for years now. The will is there, but the powers-that-be don't have the money.

Grats on your hogs Jeff. Any hog in CA is a trophy and quite an accomplishment. I've hunted them all over the state and have only seen one for a brief moment.

08-Oct-14
Thanks Ike.

I've only had them in bow range twice on the ground...and they bugged out before I could draw.

Ambushing from the trees is the "easy way"...but only intermittently successful during shooting light.

They are very nocturnal creatures! And, always moving..like squirrels!

04-Jan-15
Congrats on your pig! I'm still trying to get my first but I haven't really put in that much time yet. Still trying to figure out where it is legal to hunt around here (Riverside).

13-Jan-15

elkmtngear's Link
Thanks, Joe.

Gary B (wild1) is the real So Cal pig whacker! He's killed them in 3 counties down there somewhere.

See his thread at the link provided

Best of Luck, Jeff

01-Feb-15
Thanks Jeff, I've been reading Wild1s thread since joining this site hoping to pick up some tips. I've asked a few people who hunt around here but they usually tell me some place I know you can't hunt. When I ask isn't it illegal to hunt there I get "only if you get caught". Being a former hunter safety instructor from another state im not inclined to hunt those places.

Hope you have much more success, Joe

01-Feb-15
Thanks Jeff, I've been reading Wild1s thread since joining this site hoping to pick up some tips. I've asked a few people who hunt around here but they usually tell me some place I know you can't hunt. When I ask isn't it illegal to hunt there I get "only if you get caught". Being a former hunter safety instructor from another state im not inclined to hunt those places.

Hope you have much more success, Joe

06-Feb-15
Good luck bowman! I'm up north of you a bit and still trying to get access to land to hunt.

22-Feb-15
Way to end the curse. If you've got water and they need it, that little pond could provide quite a few opportunities over time.

Hearing somebody bitch about pig damage on their property is one way to get access if the owner is willing to do more than the usual gripefest. Figure I have 10 years or so to find a public land honey hole or holes. Will be heading out on my next quest soon. If I do I'll be sure to let you-all know :)

13-Jul-15
I got lucky again on Saturday Evening.

I really thought my chances were poor, because the weather had cooled down. But, this guy was thirsty, and came in right before dusk. He stopped to drink in the pond, but he was quartering to me, so I waited him out.

When he turned and walked out into the pond, he gave me a great 15 yard opportunity, slightly quartering away, and I put the hammer on him. I was pleased to hear him pile up quickly, about 50 yards away...this is how I found him:

photo 0711152152_zpstwchuccq.jpg

Arrow had great penetration, and ended up in the offside shoulder. Lungs and great vessels were destroyed!

Here is the more tasteful pic:

photo 0711152202_zpsqm5gxvkg.jpg

He had some impressive cutters on him:

photo 0711152225_zps0hdlrbua.jpg

It was a long night getting him broke down, but I was thankful for the cooler weather. Got the loin and ribs all vacuum sealed, and I had about 50 pounds of ground meat that I made into breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. For a big hog, the flavor of the meat was absolutely amazing.

It was my first pig hunt in 2015...couldn't have been better! :D

Best of Luck, Jeff

13-Jul-15
great news jeff , a very nice hog ,congrads

13-Jul-15
Thanks, Jon!

13-Jul-15
Great hog! You should have it scored for CBH. With cutters like that, it should score very well. Congrats

14-Jul-15
Thanks Zack...I didn't even know you could score them.

I cut the head off and left it out there :/

It was the only way I could lift him up onto the tailgate (gutted).

Do you need to have the whole skull to score it?

Best of Luck, Jeff

15-Jul-15
The skull is the only thing you need! If you are ever back out that way, just pick it up. If the coyotes haven't hauled it off. Maybe the bugs will have cleaned it up for you ;)

15-Jul-15
Great hog Jeff!

16-Jul-15
Thanks guys...hopefully the buzzards will at least have picked it clean! I'll bring a garbage bag :/

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Jul-16

Got this little guy several weeks back...heart shot!

Took the skin off, and took him whole to a buddy's house where he was smoked for about 8 hours alongside another pig that the guy bought. We rubbed him first with spices and mustard, then injected him with apple cider vinegar and brown sugar.

He got wiped out very quickly at the Party!

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Jul-16
Nice. Grats Jeff. That's a dark one.

17-Jul-16
Tasty!!

25-Jul-16

QQ Archery's Link
wow when you getem you getem ,congrads on some nice hogs.

13-Aug-16
Got another one. This one has been my nemesis this Summer. She was the only good size pig coming in to the pond.

A couple weeks ago, I got a late start in the evening, and she busted me on the way to the stand.

This weekend was revenge!

Darth Pig photo Darth Sow_zpsjj9m8hc5.jpg

Best of Luck, Jeff

13-Aug-16
25 yard shot, pass through. She went about 20 yards and piled up.

Here's the entry wound:

Entry photo entry_zpsqi74s3gt.jpg

And the exit:

Exit photo exit_zpsdioha2w3.jpg

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Aug-16
Nice! Grats Jeff

16-Aug-16
Thanks Ike. I fudged this recipe together on Sunday and it was amazing:

Quick Stroganoff

1 1/2 pounds pork butt, (cut into large chunks). 1/2 bottle of Stubbs Pork Marinade 1 cup sliced mushrooms 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped. 2 cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup. 1 can Campbell's Beef Consumme 1 cup Sour Cream 4 Tablespoons butter

Marinate the pork butt for 6 hours or more (vacuum canister will shorten your time).

Remove pork from marinade (reserve the remainder)..and cut up into 1/2 inch pieces.

Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a skillet, and brown the meat over medium heat. after a couple minutes, add the mushrooms. Stir fry all together until meat is about medium. Remove from skillet and reserve.

Melt the other two tablespoons of butter, and saute the onions until soft. Add the Mushroom Soup, Consumme, and the remaining marinade, and simmer for about 5 minutes on low-medium heat.

Pour the meat and mushrooms back into the mixture, stir for about a minute, shut off the heat, and stir in the Sour Cream. Serve over noodles, brown rice, or just eat it like Soup!

Venison or Elk works well for this too!

Best of Luck, Jeff

01-Jul-17

Last minute tag filled...it was set to expire on 6/30. Pigs hit the pond at 8 PM, and I took a broadside opportunity on this young boar. First pig kill for me of 2017, I screwed up a couple of good opportunities earlier in the Year. Same broadhead and arrow I used to kill my 2016 New Mexico Bull...but the arrow didn't survive this one :(

Best of Luck, Jeff

06-Jul-17

QQ Archery's Link
Congrats Jeff , taps off a great year for you , thanks for all the pics.

08-Jul-17
Good job Jeff. Nice pig. I wish I was hunting this time of year.

10-Jul-17
Thanks guys. It felt good to get out there and harvest something, for sure! Pig's gonna be roasted/smoked whole, low and slow, for a large annual backyard party in Early August.

05-Oct-17
Jeff How big is that bad boy? i usually save the cue for 120 lbs or smaller pigs - you did say it was a young boar. I'm not a picky eater but my guests often are. Congrats btw.

19-Oct-17
Ben, I estimated him at about 150#. The entire pig was injected with marinade, rubbed with mustard, and smoked low and slow for about 18 hours.

It was a big backyard party, and it got wiped out pretty fast...delicious !

11-Sep-19
buy it, use it, its valid

Imagine you could travel and work while having fund. It is possible and we are here with our expertise knowledge to give you the best of our serviices. www.yourvaliddocuments.com WhatsApp # +12068556021

• Sitka Gear