10orbetter 08-Sep-14
orionsbrother 08-Sep-14
stagetek 08-Sep-14
GoJakesGo 09-Sep-14
>>>--arrow1--> 09-Sep-14
Doug 09-Sep-14
10orbetter 09-Sep-14
08-Sep-14
Received this today. This very sobering. This young guy worked at the school where I coach basketball. I X'd out their names to protect their privacy. Remember, all of you have friends and family that love and care about you. You owe it to them to return home safe and sound after each hunt.

The purpose of this email is to share some information re: a former colleague, XXXXXXXX, who was a school psychologist for several years within our District. XXXXX was involved in a hunting accident on Saturday in where he fell out of a tree stand and broke three vertebra (C2, C6, and C7). He was taken via Flight For Life from Wausau to Froedert. He had surgery yesterday in where they fused four vertebra in his neck (C1-C4). He can move some toes and fingers, which is unheard of with this type of spinal injury. Due to the fusing of the four vertebra, he will have limited neck movement, which the family is certainly willing to take at this point. They do not know about any levels of sensation, but time will tell. XXXXX wife XXXXX indicated that XXXXX is in the Intensive Care Unit right now. It was a bit of a rough night because they could not give him anything to manage the pain at this point due to the neurological nature of the injury; however, it is hopeful that he will be moving to the spinal injury floor later today, where medication can be used to stabilize. XXXXX stated that XXXXX is being amazingly strong right now, and this will be a very long recovery. At this point, we ask that you please be courteous by not overwhelming XXXXX with messages that she needs to respond to. I will give you periodic updates as I get them. Please keep XXXXX and his entire family in your thoughts and prayers. D

08-Sep-14
Well said 10orbetter. Three things I am doing differently this year because of emails like this: 1. I wear my rigger belt while working on stands and clip in to different anchor points with a retention lanyard - ladder rung, strong branch, etc. When I am climbing up and down a stand 10 times to adjust things and trim branches I am not using a full harness like when I hunt. A rigger belt is obviously not full body harness protection, but it is more than I used in the past while scampering up and down - nothing. This also allows me to practice using the anchor points during the day before I am going in and out of the stand in darkness.

2. Use a tree strap and full harness when putting a new stand up - even when working off a regular ladder.

3. Bought a Controlled Descent System. Whenever I was "clipped in" during years of climbing and military endeavors someone was belaying me or other guys who could help were in the aircraft with me. $50 is worth it for a potentially life-saving belay safely to the ground.

I hope we all have better and safer hunting this year.

08-Sep-14
Change those ratchet straps on your stands every year no matter what. I just finished and am ready for the year.

08-Sep-14
It wasn't from a hunting accident, but I have a friend who is a functioning quad. The millions of little things that we all take for granted become challenges. If you survive. Wear your harness every time you leave the ground.

Good time of year for this reminder 10. I'm sorry that your colleague and his family are suffering. I hope that his injuries are not permanent.

08-Sep-14
Sad. Being safe is really easy and inexpensive. This should never happen. I hope his recovery goes well.

09-Sep-14
It's the little things we tend to overlook that cause accidents. I know I'm far from perfect and often take chances I shouldn't. THanks for the reminder

09-Sep-14
10or better plz post how and what happened. Thanx.

09-Sep-14
Safety lines are my new best friend. Friends and I each bought a 3 pack so most of our stands are now equipped. Never really new what piece of mind was until I started using them, they are AWESOME!

09-Sep-14
arrow, I honestly don't know. The family asked that their privacy be respected and questions while being well meaning not be asked. I just hope this helps someone stay safe.

• Sitka Gear