brewcrewmike 02-Oct-14
Pasquinell 02-Oct-14
orionsbrother 02-Oct-14
Bigwoods42 02-Oct-14
live2hunt 02-Oct-14
Andyw 10-Oct-14
09-Sep-14
Hi there!

I've been reading the forums for quite some time but decided it was time to sign up and start contributing my two cents on some of the topics. I started out as primarily a rifle only hunter but through family and friends I got into bow hunting last season. Hopefully I can get my first archery deer on the ground this season! I'm primarily a ground hunter because I have a small phobia of heights but the more and more I talk to people they keep saying I need to get up in the air and off the ground. I had been using a pop-up ground blind last season.

I do a large majority of my hunting from public land so a ladder stand isn't really a good option. A few people I've talked to really like their climbing tree stands and so I've started looking into different options but I wanted to see what other people have used and liked or didn't like. Overall weight isn't a big problem for me but having something with a bigger seat or platform would be preferred.

Any input would be appreciated and as far as safety systems go are there any brands to avoid?

09-Sep-14
Mike, I have 3 climbers in my garage that I don't use anymore. I have switched over to a hang on and climbing sticks. It might take a couple of extra minutes but much better in the long run. Many good brands are out there, I have used and like Lone Wolf stands and sticks. My only gripe is the platform size is a bit small. With a hang-on you are not limited to a straight limb-less tree like you are with a climber. Most importantly please invest in the best fall restraint device made. Your family and friends will thank you. Best of luck

10-Sep-14

Helgermite's Link
Welcome to the ranks brewcrewmike!

If you hunt areas with relatively straight limbless trees climbers give you the ultimate in portability and relative ease of use. Another advantage is your safety harness can be secured to the tree during your climbing and just loosened, raised and re-tightened until you reach the desired hunting height. I'm very happy with my Lone Wolf Sit and climb. The sit and climb bar can give you a sense of security if that's important to you. I would replace the stock seat with the Hazemore seat as well. The only thing with Lone Wolf is the price is high. Extreme Outdoor Products has virtually the same thing for a better price. Good luck, hunt safe and pick a spot when you shoot!

10-Sep-14
I can sit in my Summit for weeks really like it,

10-Sep-14

Two Feathers's Link
Brewcrewmike - I have used a number of climbers over the years starting with the old Baker. Now I have two - my Lone Wolf climber and my Tree Lounge.

The Lone Wolf is light, quiet and easy to climb with.

The Tree Lounge is not light, not so quiet but is easy to climb with and the most secure and comfortable climber I've used. They are no longer being produced but can be found on the internet.

Another thing I like about the Tree Lounge is that I can climb higher with it than I can with any other climber I've owned. Great portable stand for gun hunting.

10-Sep-14
I've been looking at both Summit and Lone Wolf. I was curious if there were any other players out there to consider and just get a good gauge of what people liked and didn't like about particular models.

What about hunter safety systems and harnesses? Are there certain models easier to use than others or are they all pretty much the same? Overall safety is everything pretty much equal or do certain brands offer better safety than others? I know this isn't an area to buy something cheap and I wasn't planning on doing that.

10-Sep-14
I would look also look at API climbers. I think Bass Pro still sells them. I own two, and the Lone Wolf wide S&C. I've also hunted out of a buddies Summit. I don't like the way Summits fit together and I don't like their cables. The gaps are too far apart. The APIs use a vinyl tubing instead of the old shrink plastic so they crack.

10-Sep-14
I've been using Summit primarily over the previous 10 or so years. As far as Harness I have a tree spider micro-harness made by scent-blocker I believe. It's small and I use it underneath my coat and the top comes out of the top of my coat and seems to work quite well, very comfortable, not aware that I'm wearing it.

10-Sep-14
I've been using Summit primarily over the previous 10 or so years. As far as Harness I have a tree spider micro-harness made by scent-blocker I believe. It's small and I use it underneath my coat and the top comes out of the top of my coat and seems to work quite well, very comfortable, not aware that I'm wearing it.

12-Sep-14
Your choice will also kind of depend on the style of hunting you are going to do. Short walk with easy access you can get away with a bigger climber, like a delux summit. If you are really going to pack in, you are going to want somethign really light that packs together nicely. If you have a small phobia of heights (as i do), climbers may not be the best choice. I get a little vertigo in mine at times, not sure why.

12-Sep-14
Ole Man makes a very good climber. Depending on the model you get some can be bulky but I think they have the most room of any for a platform.

12-Sep-14
Walteman you said you have a small phobia of heights, which type of stand do you use? As I said in my original post, I do have a ground blind I tried last year but it seems to be pretty cramped in there. Shooting certain ways or directions can get tricky. I also don't think they are the quietest thing when moving around to adjust when trying to make a shot. Has anyone used these before? It seems like they are more geared towards rifle hunting.

Thanks for the other options or opinions. When you go into these sporting goods store they should have an area with secured trees and you could try these out. Climbing, descending, sitting, standing, etc.

Ultimately, I think having something with a bigger platform will win out just because it will help me feel better about being up in a tree. I think this is going to be a baby step process for me, try going up 8-10 feet and then slowly go higher.

15-Sep-14

brewcrewmike's Link
Gander Mountain has the Summit Viper Classic on sale this week for $200 w/$20 rebate.

15-Sep-14
brewcrewmike - One of the things I do with my ground blind to quiet it down is clean up as much ground debris as I can and then put down a carpet. I'm also selective about the material for my chair. I don't want a noisy chair when it gets cold. Consider getting a bigger/taller ground blind, one you can be comfortable in.

15-Sep-14
Two Feathers do you hunt on public land? If I were able to leave my ground blind in one space for more than a day it might be easier to go to that extent but on public land it's not so easy.

15-Sep-14
Konk I sold my LW sit and climb because I felt it restricted me on tree girth to climb. I think the Summit gives you a wider teeth area than the LW did. I too have a nervous feeling getting it too high but I tie a 14 foot bow rope and when my bow no longer touches the ground that's far enough!

16-Sep-14
I have gone to mostly climbing sticks and permanent stands. i like the big ones with arm rests. My climber i use very little and it always kind of gets to me. It is a summit broadhead packer. Super light and packable, but there is literally nothing around you but the platform (which is good because then there is nothing for your bow to hit). i probably climb up to around 15 feet, with 20 being the highest with the climber.

16-Sep-14
Im still using my Loggy byough. I love my climbers. Public land hunting you need to be mobile and they are the best way. If your in the right type of woods with spruce around, you can get up into the branches with a regular lock on and not have to get up too high to be concealed, or need to have climbing sticks. I have also used those strap on steps. They are ok if you need to get up to the branches to climb. I would like to get a climber that you do not have to grab the tree though, that's getting old. Especially if its a red pine and you slide when trying to grip the tree, lol.

01-Oct-14
I think you would like a Summit. Big seats and comfortable. If you're a big guy, the LW with the hand climber will be too narrow for you. They're not known for their comfort either.

01-Oct-14
I too respect heights. My Summit climber is reassuring and I feel more comfortable shifting my Prussic up and down as I go.

01-Oct-14
Which Summit do you use? I am not that big but the Goliath or Titan look big!

01-Oct-14
They are big. I have a Goliath. I like the sense of security from the full wrap around bar of the seat portion and the bigger foot section makes it easier to shift if you need to shoot behind the tree.

And they're heavier and don't carry as well. I still like it in the tree.

I just put my head through the cable loops and let the cables rest on my shoulder and across my pack. The stand hangs on my side mainly, so I sidestep through any thick brush and just push it back a little with my right hand in sparser stuff. I've hiked a few miles like that.

9.8m/s2 is the acceleration due to gravity. I'll pay the weight penalty to avoid thinking about physics for a good chunk of my hunt, or to experience that equation.

02-Oct-14
I am thinking of getting the Goliath for reasons you mention. I had the sit and climb LW and although it weighed less I never felt comfy. Always wearing a harness when using one!

02-Oct-14
I think I'm going to get the Summit Classic. The price is right unlike the LW models. Lone Wolf seems to be a charge more because of the brand and not necessarily what it is. I also like the slightly larger base on the Summit climbers. If it makes me feel a little safer up in the tree, it's worth going that route alone.

I haven't been able to get out hunting this season and I'm not sure if I will until our little boy arrives the end of October. I'm hoping to sneak out for a few days during the rut in November.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

02-Oct-14
Congrats on the new hunter in the family brewcrew!

02-Oct-14
Yeah, brewcrewmike, congratulations. They're a trip. Remember, like my five year old says, the best bed-time stories end in bloodtrails!

And wear your harness at all times for that little guy.

02-Oct-14
Just bought the XOP powerhouse. Basically the Lone Wolf wide version, but you can get it at Dicks for $349 vs paying the $439 for the Lone Wolf. I know guys have strong opinions on Lone Wolf, and I realize the XOP is manufactured in China. That said its super solid, feels secure and the wider seat is good if your over 200 lbs. has a 350 lb weight Limit on it, and the unit is lighter than the LW by a couple lbs.

02-Oct-14
I remember going thorough that brew, I wore a beeper (before cell phone) while steelhead fishing on the Brule. Didn't have to worry, but brought piece of mind. congrats.

10-Oct-14
I was a lone wolf climber guy for years and still agree they are awesome. However, I found the tree walker made in u.s.a. And believe it is the most quietest, roomiest,lightest and most balanced and comfortable stand on the market today. Check em out

• Sitka Gear