Stevieray36 06-Oct-14
treesitter 08-Oct-14
Stevieray36 08-Dec-14
PSEStinger 08-Dec-14
Stevieray36 12-Jan-15
eyedoc 18-Jan-15
jleger 07-Feb-15
10-Sep-14
Well, thought I was going to be hunting on private land this year but at the last minute it fell through. The land owner decided he didn't want to hunt it this year. So I am back to public land unless anyone knows any private land within an hour or so of Piedmont?

What is everybody's opinion about hunting around Ft. Cobb and Canton. Tips for either one?

16-Sep-14
I have seen nice bucks come from ft Cobb. Ample areas without a lot of bowhunting pressure. I used to work with a guy and his dad hunted canton on a regular basis and pulled out good ones every year. I would try both but there are giants out by canton!

17-Sep-14
You wanna challenge and a chance at big bucks you need to go out west

18-Sep-14
I would like to go out west. I have young kids so I try not be gone for over a day at a time and my hunting budget keeps me from going out that far. I would like to stay with in an hour and half drive from Piedmont. When the kids get bigger I may go out west.

20-Sep-14
Jared, I have hunted canton the last 3 years and we have taken 2 good bucks with bows off it. That being said early season has never produced much for us because the under brush is so thick it's hard to find areas. I have never been to ft. Cobb, but I am considering going this year. Anyone else hunted ft cobb

23-Sep-14
I am in the same boat with loosing the private land I was planning on hunting this year. I have only been living in this state a few years and dont really know a lot of people here. If anyone is interested in a buddy to hunt public land with, get back to me. I have scouted lake thunderbird but am under the impression there is a lot of hunters out there vs the amount of deer.

23-Sep-14
Been hunting Canton for years. Lots of hunters early, they thin out a lot after the second weekend.

01-Oct-14
I am in the same boat with loosing the private land I was planning on hunting this year. I have only been living in this state a few years and dont really know a lot of people here. If anyone is interested in a buddy to hunt public land with, get back to me. I have scouted lake thunderbird but am under the impression there is a lot of hunters out there vs the amount of deer.

Where do you live? I hunt public south of Lexington. There is quite a bit of property you may not be aware of I could help you with.

02-Oct-14
Canton will be tuff hunting again this year as the North Canadian river is completely dry. When it is dry the deer movement and numbers are greatly reduced. I have hunted Canton for the last twelve years.

Last year was the worse it has ever been. Several buddies of mine who have hunted Canton for twenty or more years did not harvest a deer.

I got one shot opportunity and took it and harvested a small eight point. The river was flowing last year and it was still tuff.

02-Oct-14
Eyedoc do you hunt the North side or South side of the Canadian river at Canton?

05-Oct-14
Striveray36, a lot of time it depends on if it is a north or south wind for us. We used to hunt the south side a lot but for whatever reason we hunted the north more last year.

I made it to cross timbers wma. It looked pretty good. Just be ready for A LOT of walking. Lots of sand burs so wear heavy pants and boots. It's a mix of sandy prairie with knee to waste high forbe and grass fields mixed with oak stands

05-Oct-14
Went to Canton this morning, lots of hunters. The solar powered pump on the waterhole I hunt is broken, waterhole is dustbowl. Saw lots of sign and good acorn crop but no deer. Headed to northern Osage county next outing. Good luck every one.

06-Oct-14
Treesitter, the solar powered pump is that on the southside of the river north of the camp area were all the campers are parked under cedar trees?

If so last year they shut it off due to the pond leaking. They said they would fix it when the got the time.

08-Oct-14
Stevieray36, This one is on the east side of the lake. Talked to the game warden he said they had been working on it. Its not very big, 4 foot deep and maybe 10 ' across but it was the only water source for a couple square miles.

08-Dec-14
Jared did you ever hunt Ft Cobb? If so how did it go?

08-Dec-14
Stevieray36 - Nope, I didn't make it out there or Canton this year.

12-Jan-15
Is there anybody with information on Ft. Cobb? Again I want to start taking my grandsons hunting and would like to go to Ft. Cobb. Are there camping areas better for hunter than others? Any insight would be appreciated.

18-Jan-15
I hunted both this year. I went to ft cobb for the first time and only went on two evening hunts in January. I saw a few doe the first evening. The second evening spent the whole evening looking for heavy traffic sign and never saw anything worth hunting. I'm not sure about ft cobb. I walked the north west side of the creek that flows into the lake there wasn't much deer sign there. Looked mostly like pig sign. I don't really know how the deer move around there or if they use the food plots the state put in. I assumed they would travel and bed around the main creeks but I'm not sure now because there was so much pig sign. Sorry I wasn't to much help.

07-Feb-15
Pigs have taken over Cobb but the deer are there...Think plots are hit only at night..hunted there once and scouted it a bit...Gonna hunt it pretty hard next season along with Blue River WMA...

• Sitka Gear