onX Maps
Legislature may take action on doe tags!
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 11-Sep-14
Jeff Durnell 11-Sep-14
RC 11-Sep-14
Rut Nut 11-Sep-14
roger 11-Sep-14
Rut Nut 11-Sep-14
roger 11-Sep-14
Rut Nut 11-Sep-14
Treerat 12-Sep-14
Bogey 12-Sep-14
Rut Nut 12-Sep-14
Treerat 12-Sep-14
Jeff Durnell 13-Sep-14
Bogey 13-Sep-14
Jeff Durnell 14-Sep-14
Bogey 14-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
Representative Gerald Mullery (D) District 119 (Luzerne Co.) has announced that he will be introducing legislation to move the sales of antlerless deer licenses from the offices of County Treasurer's to the PGC's Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System (PALS).

11-Sep-14
It's about time...

11-Sep-14
It's way past time!

11-Sep-14
I have a feeling it might just work this time.

Seems the Luzerne Co. Treasurer "citing a lack of manpower" didn;t get around to processing the applications in a timely manner. By the time they did, it was too late: licenses for that WMU were already SOLD OUT!

No wonder Rep. Mullery is taking up this issue!!!!! ;-)

11-Sep-14
Never understood why treasurers were involved to begin with. Our office here in Lawrence Co. is the worst - still waiting on tags. Idiots.

11-Sep-14
They also said several years ago there was a similar issue in the Erie county Treasurer's office where applications did not get processed.

It is time to take the "weakest link" out of the loop!

11-Sep-14
Perry, believe it or not, a number of years ago our Treasurer, Gary Felasco, was running an elicit sex club in one of the northern tier counties with funds pilfered from his office. It took years to terminate and prosecute him and in the interim he collected his salary without having set foot in said office. The may have gotten rid of a criminal, but with reference to expediting deer tags anyway, the new regime appears equally incompetent.

11-Sep-14
That's why it's time to get them out of the business!

12-Sep-14
Your right Perry they had a big problem in Erie Co a few years ago. By the time the Erie co treasures office relied they did not have the an power to process the tags it was to late. Erie Cosent them elsewhere to be processed, by then 1B was sold out. Several friends did not get their 1B tags. They were pissed.

BTW I still have not received my 1A tags yet. Sent to Crawford county court house, did get my 1b sent to same office.

Mike

12-Sep-14
Great to hear!

Has there been any talk of the process if this would happen? Would we still have mail in apps or only online/vendor purchases......?

12-Sep-14
They are talking about selling them "over the counter" through the automated licensing system.

This is the way NY has done it for years, from what I am told.

12-Sep-14
Man, I have to quit posting on ths phone and not re reading before I hit send! Fat finger syndrome! Sorry

Mike

13-Sep-14
Perry, that's the way Ohio has been doing it for years as well. No applications, right over the counter, the doe license prints out right with the regular hunting license, archery, muzz, and whatever else you get. Rediculously quick and easy... as it should be.

13-Sep-14
I guess it will be first come first serve then? Prob have to camp out in wal mart parking lot to get a second round tag around here.

14-Sep-14
Technically, antlerless tags are first come/first serve now... just through the mail. DMAP tags are first come/first serve over the counter through the PALS sytem, right?

The potential effects of doe tag 'allotments' per DMU being sold over the counter is a hurdle Pa will have to get by. Some adjustments/precautions would need made.

Ohio doesn't set a number of tags that are alloted for sale. Instead, they regulate the number of antlerless deer each hunter can take in a given area. So, no matter when you decide to go get your license, you can get your antlerless tag(s) right there with everything else.

At least that's how they did it the last time I got a license there.

If they did it the same way, Pa would lose some of their ability to micro-manage. Perhaps they could put a cap on the total number of tags sold in case it got out of hand, or adjust season timing and/or length... since Pa DOES have more hunters than Ohio.

14-Sep-14
Yes u are right Jeff. I would def not mind adopting ohio's process. I hunted ohio last year and it was nice and easy to get a doe tag. Maybe pa could just limit the number of wmu's you could have a doe tag in?

• Sitka Gear