longbeard 12-Sep-14
steve 12-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 12-Sep-14
Dartondog 12-Sep-14
CTCrow 12-Sep-14
Wild Bill 12-Sep-14
Dartondog 13-Sep-14
12-Sep-14
I have not been on here in a year. I see lots of new names as well as familiar names I have known for years. I didnt see Wild Bill on any of the posts? Anyway I am 58 and only worked 2 jobs in the last 36 years with 25 plus at the job I resigned from this year. I had worked hard jobs in the Warehouse and trucking Industry and was a transportation Fleet safety manager the last 25 years as well as dual roll of driver Class A until my back gave out in 2002. I started sharing some issues last year for comments and suggestions for treatment. I had Bi Lateral Knee Arthriscopy on 1/7/14 and both knees are grade 4 end stage Osteoarthritis and the Miniscus cartlidge is torn and degraded and compressed to nothing. I am bone on bone in places. I had Rotator cuff surgery on my dominant arm on 4/1/14 and it was the toughest recovery I have ever done. I have two largwe tears in my left shoulder that has not had surgery yet and I was recently diagnosed with Lymadema a nasty issue with Lymph nodes that dont work properly. The reason I am sharing is I have many years of archery equipment to include two Darton Bows, Two Summit Viper climbing stands fully decked out with comfort pads, side and front bags with pull up ropes etc. Many more things pole saws all kinds of equipment. I was told that it will be April of 2015 before my first shoulder is considered healed and to be honest I am afraid to ever attempt 60 to 70 pounds again and hurt it again now that it is fixed. I am looking to trade equipment for a good working cross bow if anyone is interested and my Outfitter in NY was great. I had paid him for a hunt this year by leaving a deposit last year and NY passed a new X bow law where it can be used the last 2 weeks of season so he switched my hunt from 10/5 to 11/1 and he is going to set up a ground blind and take me right to my stand in his truck. Before I could get up and shower with scent free soap at 3 am and be in a tree 1/2 mile in the woods when it was still to dark to sdee my hand but those days are over. I will probably only hunt evenings with him as it is just to hard to get up early and get moving right away anymore. I always told my son if you have to push me out there in a wheel chair I want to go. I plan to attempt to buy a 40 to 50 pound bow next spring and see if I can grow into it and be able to shoot it again but my days of climbing trees are over. Anyone interested in seeing what I have for sale or trade can e-mail me at [email protected]. my name is John. I will live my season thru your eyes , pictures, and stories of the kill this year. Good Luck and God Bless all of you I consider my commrad in arms.

12-Sep-14
Hey John,

I have 2 barnett wildcat. They are a few years old but if I put 20 bolts through both of them it's too many.

I only took it hunting twice and never shot at a deer.

I'll see if I can email you later.

We can work something out if you think you'll never use some of your equipment. If you expect recovery and climbing trees soon, you are welcome to borrow one of my x-bows.

Wish you speedy recovery.

12-Sep-14
Hang in there man. Right now everything seems bleak, but I bet that with time, Physical Therapy and determination, you will be back to pulling a bow. At least with a Crossbow, you'll get to hunt some this year.

Do whatever you can this season, and set your sights on 2015 to be back at it full bore. The goal of getting back to being able to hunt comfortably will be your motivation.

Try to stay as positive as you can, we'll help you get through the tough days.

Better days ahead bud!

12-Sep-14
Sucks to hear Darton, ive noticed you havent been on. Dale will take care of you in NY and im sure you will put one down with the xbow. I used a Horton xbow one year in VA and it was a good one, wish i still had it for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

12-Sep-14
Darton its good to hear from you...wishing you all the best and a quick healing time!!

12-Sep-14
Last year I used a xbow because of a Rotator cuff injury this year I am back shooting my bow and better than ever 53lbs don't give up !!!!Steve

12-Sep-14
Darton,

keep the faith, you will heal and feel better.

I sold my motorcycle about 7 years ago at the age of 57 because I got stenosis in my neck and couldn't look over my shoulder comfortably, so I was afraid to ride the bike.

After finding a some good exercises and using celebrex I can move my neck better than ever, and I wish I still had the bike! I'll bet the same will be true with your situation.

Life is an adventure, and each stage presents new challenges. Take what life has to offer, even if it's different than what you were offered when young.

Good luck and God Bless!

12-Sep-14
Thanks for the kind comments and motivation. CTCrow I would love to hear more. Just looked them up and Dicks has them for $400.00 as a kit with choice of Red dot or 4 X 32 scope, quiver, and optional cranking device. All the users comments that bought them say they are a real good intermediate price bow. It has the option I want to crank it because I think you can remove the bolt at the end of the day and hold the crank then let off the safety and crank it down to put away. Most require you to shoot a field point into a bag target at the truck to unload it. Do you have a hard case ? Funny over the years how many gimmick things I have purchased. I bought an Ameristep ground blind in 2000 and set it up once to see if I fit with a bow and the ceiling was to low unless I kneeled down but I set it up today and it will be perfect for X bow this year in New York. I have like 3 or 4 of all these big name game calls grunt tubes and I still use the Primos snort wheeze grunt that I bought in 1988. The two Summit Vipers are 8 or 9 years old but decked out and every two years I removed the shrink tube and replaced it. I have python locks , targets, Plano Pro cases 32 inch 3 D stabalizer all kinds of arrow making items the list goes on. I am downsizing no matter what because the big picture is to sell the house here and move to NH next spring to be closer to the 6 grand kids and my wife's son and girlfriend who will offer us much more family support in our golden years. I received a small severance package and have a little nest egg in my 401 K. My wife and I are on our second marriage to each other for 16 years now. Her son was given his original family home and my wife's ex is retiring to Arizona this year and her son has a trailer with lifetime roof new furnace, water heater, dishwasher, gas range and washer dryer and it has a small addition and deck out back. It is the most private and largest lot at a dead end in the woods in a 16 home coop with a 16 X 12 shed so I will be all set. They have had moose and deer in that back yard and I will be 150 yards from state quad and snowmobile trails. I dont plan to use them to much but 6 grand children will be having a good time with it.My 16 foot Lund will be left at her sons house so I plan on doing some fishing instead of taking up knitting crocheting Im going to call it my early retirement and go north instead of south with the snow bunnies.

12-Sep-14
Dart,

PM sent

12-Sep-14

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Howdy John,

I've had you in my prayers and it sounds like you have some big plans. Good! I'm sure getting to where you are now hasn't been easy. I can't understand how this time so late in our life, came to be called the "golden years". Two months ago I had another cardio episode when one of my stent sites decided to clot and begin healing shut. With a new stent I'm as good as new and still pushing my bicycle around. Next July I will be eligible for retirement with health benefits, but I can't see myself ready by then. My wife worked for our town visiting nurse department, but they closed down and now she is sort of retired. Nearer to the grandchildren is my wifes mantra too, which would mean Pennsylvania for me. I hunted there briefly last year, but only had a bear under me, out of season.

Since it has been three seasons without getting a deer, I decided to try something a little different. I had some turtle soup at a game dinner in February and this year I caught my first snapping turtle. He was twenty-five pounds and measured sixteen inches from the shell behind his head the point where his tail exited. He smelled bad during the butchering but great while cooking. I saved some for my club game dinner and can get more before the end of September. Though I built a trap, I haven't found a private pond to put it in. The state does not permit turtle trapping in DEEP controlled waters. I caught mine with a baited hook on steel leader, twenty feet from shore.

Just like the "Affordable Care Act", Social Security is a misnomer too. You stick with us here at Bowsite and we will show you a good time, be glad to hear from you and make you feel at home, no matter where you live.

God bless ya John.

13-Sep-14
Wild Bill good to hear from you. I had a pet Snapper as a kid about that big for a few days until dad made me let it go. Lake Rahunta in Orange MA holds the world record at 78 pounds I belive the figure is. I have been by it many times and it is just a huge giant lake of weed matt most of the time but prime turtle habitat. My nephew had one last year about filled up the bed of his pick up it was so big.

• Sitka Gear