CTCrow 12-Sep-14
steve 12-Sep-14
MA_Bowhunter 12-Sep-14
MA_Bowhunter 12-Sep-14
bb 12-Sep-14
cjb5591 13-Sep-14
steve 13-Sep-14
12-Sep-14
Hi all. I'm a Mass refuge going to try archery hunting in CT this year. I'm curious as to how many deer can you possess at one time? In Mass, you can shoot 2 in one day as long as you check them in within 48 hours. I've read though the CT Hunting and Trapping guide, and can't figure out what the law is in CT. I have tags for **4 Deer** (wow!), does that mean one one per day can be harvested, or more than that?

Mind you, I've never shot more than one deer in a day, and don't really expect to, but I always want to understand the law to make sure I stay within it!

Eric

12-Sep-14
There is no "possession" limits. I don't think there is a per day limit either. I've shot 2 in one day. As long as you have the right tags shoot'em.

12-Sep-14
The 2014 CT Hunting & Trapping regs are pretty simple.

2 either sex and 2 antlerless (4 total). Additionally, in Zones 11 & 12 1 either sex and 1 antlerless (2 total) during the January season.

Those are the bag limits. Next read the definition of bag limits on page 13 and there is your answer. Like I said, pretty simple.

12-Sep-14
if your in zone 11 and 12 you could shoot as many does as you like if you want replacement tags for a buck then I would say 2 but if you keep checking them in over the phone or internet and don't want a replacement tag I don't see a limit . Just don't tell us !

12-Sep-14
Thanks, I missed the bag limits section on page 13. I got distracted by all the ads! :-)

12-Sep-14
"if your in zone 11 and 12 you could shoot as many does as you like if you want replacement tags for a buck then I would say 2 but if you keep checking them in over the phone or internet and don't want a replacement tag I don't see a limit . Just don't tell us !"

No No No. "Shoot as many does as you like", WTH? Read the Replacement Antlerless Tag rules on page 22. If you register an antlerless deer at one of the check stations that issues replacement tags you "may" qualify for another antlerless tag. "May" because it depends on DEEP management goals for that area. If you register 3 antlerless deer from private land during the same season at one of the check stations that issues replacement tags then you "may" qualify for another "either sex" tag. Again, "May" depending on DEEP needs. No disrespect Steve, it's not what you say but what the laws say.

12-Sep-14
MA

I like your confidence level!! I'm picturing a young man with a positive picture in his head of herds of deer walking passed his stand at 20 yards!!

I like hunting in CT, but you'll find you'll work for the deer. Where are you planning on hunting? Tunxis? Housatonic? Private? State?

Wish you all the best, and good luck.

12-Sep-14
steve

I'm not sure if you're serious with your comments about "not reporting bucks properly" but I get upset when any hunter takes advantage of the system. To me, it's illegal and more importantly unethical to cheat the reporting process and take more deer than you're allowed. You're taking deer that belong to me and everyone else, so I take it personal.

Sorry, no smiley face for this post. :(

12-Sep-14
Big buck, I think you misread my dad's (Steve's) post. He's not very good on the computer. Lol but I think I understand what he's trying to say. He's saying in zones 11 and 12 you get 4 tags 2 antlerless and two either sex tags. So therefore you can harvest 2 does and 2 bucks at one time, or 4 does if you want to burn your buck tags on does. Your preference, in our zone for every doe you harvest you get a replacement tag. (Note only good on the two antlerless) for ever 3 does you shoot you get an earned buck tag. If you do not care about the earned buck tag or getting a doe replacement tag then you do not need to check those deer in. Just report them via the automated email/phone system. However i am sure we all know one or multiple individuals who do not register their does appropriately to get a physical tag. They are recorded through the state via internet/email and shoot their 3 does and feel they have earned a buck tag. No one is taking more than they are allowed just slide on our crappy reporting system. I for one wish we could get rid of the earn a buck tag and go back to paper tags and have to check bucks in at a check station. Heck that was half the fun of it, meeting other hunters and showing off a trophy or seeing someone else's. I miss those days. I know myself and my father however do still bring all deer to the check station and report all as necessary to get the appropriate tagging. Just wish we all did, I like to look at the summary reports and see what towns did what.

12-Sep-14
Steve

my apologies! This is one reason why I don't emails, never know exactly what others mean half the time, and the other half of the time, I don't write what I mean!!

12-Sep-14
I totally agree with Silverado about paper tags and checking deer. We should definitely go back to it.

I think todays reporting system lends itself to under reporting. You can print as many tags as you want, fill them up in the woods, take the deer home and butcher it and never report it.

I don't know anyone that does that but I bet there are plenty that would.

12-Sep-14
cjb5591 don't tell us meant even though you can shoot that many don't tell me because I don't agree .And with are deep in ff county I never seen them run out ,that's just me .That's whats wrong with the system even with all the deer taken they never adjust .

12-Sep-14
Thanks all. I think the answer to my question is "you can shoot as many deer as you currently have tags for". I really appreciate all the responses!

Bigbuckbob, not so young anymore, but i do have confidence i'll at least see deer. Scouted mostly on public property- the sign has been much better than MA!

12-Sep-14
Thanks all. I think the answer to my question is "you can shoot as many deer as you currently have tags for". I really appreciate all the responses!

Bigbuckbob, not so young anymore, but i do have confidence i'll at least see deer. Scouted mostly on public property- the sign has been much better than MA!

12-Sep-14
I always thought it was as many as you could fit in your car.

13-Sep-14
cjb5591 don't tell us meant even though you can shoot that many don't tell me because I don't agree .And with are deep in ff county I never seen them run out ,that's just me .That's whats wrong with the system even with all the deer taken they never adjust .

Steve, I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're saying here. There certainly are a hell of a lot of deer in this state. As responsible and ethical hunters it's our duty to know the law and obey it. Crow is right about deer being taken home without being reported; I would love to know the exact numbers.

13-Sep-14
Legally there are people on here that that have shot over 30 deer a season even though it is legal I don't agree with it. So much for running out of replacement tags . Hope this explains what I am trying to say. Steve

• Sitka Gear