CJD437 14-Sep-14
Bowfire85 14-Sep-14
Wayniac 14-Sep-14
Wayniac 14-Sep-14
Bowfire85 15-Sep-14
Bowfire85 15-Sep-14
Wayniac 15-Sep-14
13-Sep-14
Hi guys been awhile since I've been on here I went out today to check all my stands and blinds and add a few more. I ran into a problem one of the other guys that hunts are property placed a stand thirty feet from one of my brushed in ground blinds and forty away from my ladder stand I thought this was quite rude to do that Especially because they all know I've been hunting the property the longest and that's where I shot four monster bucks and a bunch of does over the years it's my go to stand how should I address the issue thanks Jim

13-Sep-14
Seems like you are in a tough position best you can do is try to coordinate hunting days and take turns other than that not sure there is much because if you start a feud with others the owner might stop allowing hunting. Sucks but it's reality sometimes .

13-Sep-14
Make sure get there first

13-Sep-14
Congrats in getting some good private property. This might be tough but the good guy in me says maybe someone else could try a season in that spot? Sounds like you've had plenty of success there in the past maybe share the wealth? If this was state land then first one there in the morning claims it. Good luck.

13-Sep-14
Guess the other hunter wants to get a monster buck too, and that seems to be the spot to be in. I'd be pissed. The simple fact that he put his stand there knowing your stands are there would lead one to believe he doesn't give a crap what you think about it. A real jerk hole move, that sucks. Maybe you can slather all the trees in the area with a stick of deodorant and set up 50 yards downwind. Take a poop in his stand.

13-Sep-14
Not enough information; how big is the property? You mention having stands already in place and wanting to put in a few more. If we're talking a 50 acre piece and 3 or 4 other hunters it's worlds different from 500 acres and 2 other hunters.

What is the rest of the property like? Other "hot spots" that you haven't staked out?

Given the limited information it's hard to render an informed opinion one way or the other.

13-Sep-14
X2 Mike, If you have the place littered with stands and its small then these guys are probably pissed that every turn has a stand. You should coordinate with these guys if thats the case. When I had a lease in VA with five other guys we kept a paper in plastic box and wrote the date time and we named all the stands and wrote down which stand we were in that day so we never stepped on toes. More info would be good?

13-Sep-14
X3 Mike.

You note "our property". It sounds like a private piece that you have permission on, and they have permission as well. Golden rule suggests that 1.) new guy should default to guy with history, but 2.) guy with history should work with new guy to ensure you both get to keep hunting there and that the owners dont decide to ax both of you.

I'd talk to the guy, if it's a some what new hunter, and he saw a good spot, he may have missed your stand totally. Heck, one time I got up in my climber on a nice run, and while putting the cinch strap on, realized there was a fixed position stand in an oak 10yards behind me - and I'd been hunting 15 years or so at the time. You never know if a guy on a new spot just got excited and didnt notice your gear.

Talk to the guy, better to communicate, and share than to lose the spot completely.

If you decide it's not worth it I think many of us would happily take it off your hands though :) ha! (kidding man!!!)

13-Sep-14
X4 Mike..

14-Sep-14
Maybe he saw your Blind and Ladder so close together that he thought it's ok to put stands very close together on this property? If he doesn't know they are both yours, that's a possible explanation.

I think you have to talk to him, and being open minded and friendly is likely to get the best results. Very few others are going to see this situation from your perspective, so try not to allow it to escalate or you may both lose the piece.

Maybe offer to help himscout the property for another stand site. That could be a win win.

14-Sep-14
Be friendly and talk to him. It's the best option and who knows if you guys won't become great hunting buddies?

14-Sep-14
(I went out today to check all my stands and blinds and add a few more).......

have to agree with spike you have stands and blinds all aver the place. you should coordinate times and days with others. if they all have permission to be there they need to be hunt when nobody else was there first. if you get a feud going all of you may loose the land.

14-Sep-14
Hunting is supposed to be fun and you dont need confrontation so take the high road and try to be friendly about it. Ask him for his phone # so you can call each other as to not screw up each others hunts. Thats what we do in our hunting club and it usually works out well.

14-Sep-14
This is a 750 acre piece of private land and my father is the permittee being it his work property and him the the top dog there I'm just not wanting to create waves I've been walking this property since I was 5 years old with my dad and had theses spots picked out for years we finally got the green light to hunt here and it was a dream come true I'm not trying to complain but when you've been dreaming of this for years and 20 years later it comes true I guess it's just aggravating when the big big boss says add a few more people. Like I said I put a lot of time cutting trails picking up trash droping dead fall trees mowing fields just to give back and have an awesome property to hunt not for newbies to just come in and hunt and not put the time I do here I've taken monsters off here by dedication but I always take my does as to I feed a family of four all year round on venison I don't make a lot of money nor does my wife so I guess were kinda dependent on this ok rant over hope we knock one down in the morning good luck

14-Sep-14
It should be all set. If you are interested in hearing the other side of the story ...

I was allowed on the property last year, and there were no issues or conflicts (that I know of). I went in there late last season with a climber, and saw the blind collapsed and I assumed it was after a snow. There was no ladder stand I saw when I went in a couple of weeks ago either..

Conversely - he also has a stand on another good spot there that I have no interest in trying to hunt since he made it clear from day one he wants to keep that spot. There's plenty of other areas there, and I really don't want to step on anyone toes. I just want to go in the woods to relax, and hopefully get a shot at some meat.

My take - it's a big property and as long as we all practice scent control, ply the winds, and don't hammer the same area, it should work. If I recall - many of us did well.

The rest of the story - two weeks ago or so - my last chance to get anything hung before the seasons since I was travelling last week, I texted the group the day I went in there and saw the blinds, but got no response, so set up where I still thought it was good if the blinds were not going to be active this year.

It was the last chance I had to hang a stand before season.. and I did not see any other stand. And if it wasn't being used by someone else this year - why should I lose out? I didn't set the blind up or take it over.. That would be way over the line.

Anyway - point being... after we discussed via text the other day, I assume we are all set? I said I'd not hunt that stand, but won't be able to get in there to take it out for a while. So I'm assuming we can chalk this up to a simple miscommunication.

Sorry you felt the need to take this public prior to us working it out.

Good luck there, and I hope we're ok? I'm good on this end. And honestly if I'm on property and you need help with a drag or track.. just text.

Hope EVERYBODY on this site has a great season - git r dun fellas. Cheers

14-Sep-14
When I wrote this : "It was the last chance I had to hang a stand before season.. and I did not see any other stand. And if it wasn't being used by someone else this year - why should I lose out? I didn't set the blind up or take it over.. That would be way over the line."

I was referring to if that area was not actively going to be used to hunt by another hunter this year, why should I not set up in what looked top be a good area, and based on my sightings there last year later in the season. .. just wanted to clarify since it reads a bit weird...

15-Sep-14
It's all set man I just needed to power vent if you need a hand today give a holler and your right prolly shouldn't on a public fourm just had to vent it out goodluck and whack one

15-Sep-14
And this was prior to us working it out

15-Sep-14
No worries here. All good

• Sitka Gear