Bohunter 02-Dec-14
gobbler 02-Dec-14
Bohunter 02-Dec-14
SpongeBen 02-Dec-14
SpongeBen 02-Dec-14
babysaph 03-Dec-14
shakyheadsabol 03-Dec-14
14-Sep-14
OK if I shoot a doe the first morning of the season can I still shoot two antlered deer? I don't understand these regs I wish they would write them so the common person can understand them. on page 13 it says "one either sex deer may be taken on a valid base license" then it says "two additional deer (one must be antlerless) may be taken with a class RB or RBB stamp" BUT On page 26 of the regs. it says "deer taken on a base license or license stamp combination or class RB or RBB stamps may be checked in any order. So can I kill a doe on opening morning and check it in with my RB stamp and then kill two bucks and check them in with my other two? Also I guess now we can kill two deer in one day as long as one is a doe

14-Sep-14
Whenever I am in doubt, I send an email to the region LE and ask. They always answer in a day it two and then I print it out and keep it, just in case there is any confusion later with the local CO.

14-Sep-14
You need a law degree to understand them

14-Sep-14
You might want to check with your local DNR police to be sure. But it is my understanding that if you are in a county that allows 3 deer killed with a bow, then it dosen't matter the order as long as you have the extra tags. Also if you are in a 3 doe county you can shoot 2 in one day if you have the tags but only 1 can be a buck.

Tom, that's how I understand it but you might want to confirm that to be safe.

Good luck

15-Sep-14
One of the two additional tags must be a doe. However, you can check your "first" deer in under an additional tag. If you check two bucks in under the "additional" tags, you are breaking the law. It suck in this case. Very confusing.

15-Sep-14
i keep it simple shoot two does and or hold out for a nice buck then if a good one doesn't show last week of season shoot another doe,, no loss if don't kill a buck let them grow if small ones ,, need to kill does anyway

15-Sep-14
IF you are going to shoot two bucks with your bow with the proper tags, you can ONLY shoot buck-doe-buck or doe-buck-buck combination, the only thing you CAN'T do is buck-buck-doe,

15-Sep-14
That is true as of last year. Good point, I forgot.

15-Sep-14
I understood it fine before this started and now I'm confused.

I don't undestand UCMDEER's post. Why is buck-buck-doe not allowed? One of the extra RB's is an anterless. And wouldn't it depend on the type of tag used to check in since we can check in any order?

15-Sep-14
The way I read it, you must harvest a doe before you can harvest a second buck. So Doe Buck Buck or Buck Doe Buck. But I am no lawyer, so I go with the Doe Doe Doe, unless a large buck shows up. I am going with a self imposed one and done rule.

15-Sep-14
I do what cgbowhunter does.

15-Sep-14
Here is the answer I got from the law enforcement email I sent last night. The answer is YES you can shoot a doe and still shoot two bucks after that. "I talked with a game warden (who has since retired) and a lawyer and both said I can shoot a doe first and still take two bucks cause there interpretation is what was on page 26 that deer can be checked in any order." my question is 1 can I shoot a doe using a landowners tag then kill two bucks after that? YES

15-Sep-14
But can you do it that way in one of the counties where you must harvest a doe before a second buck? You wouldn't be able to kill two consecutive bucks in one of those counties.

15-Sep-14
From DNR regs

Deer taken on a base license or license stamp combination or Class RB or RRB stamps may be checked in any order.

15-Sep-14
Any order.,

16-Sep-14
However in the counties with a 3 doe gun season. If a buck is taken first with either a bow or gun a doe must be taken before a second buck can be taken.

17-Sep-14
PAge 13 , section reads as follows---

• One either sex deer may be taken on a valid base license or license combination, free license, resident underage or by a resident landowner hunting on his/her own land.

In these counties, or parts thereof, archery hunters are required to take an antlerless deer during the archery deer season prior to harvesting a second antlered deer during the archery deer season.

17-Nov-14
I know this is an older thread, but curious.... has there been a definitive answer to the question(s)?

Seems to me yes, if I take the rules at face value,

"Deer taken on a base license or license stamp combination or Class RB or RRB stamps may be checked in any order."

Then, it follows with the 31 county exceptions to that statement.

17-Nov-14
Who knows?

17-Nov-14
wvbownut got pretty darn close to a definitive answer.

Those 31 counties do, however, require an antlerless deer be taken prior to the second antlered deer. They're listed on page 13.

In my county (Jackson) I would have to take either a:

doe, doe, buck, or

doe, buck, buck or

buck, doe, buck

but, I can not take a buck, buck, doe.

17-Nov-14
Jim, I'm not quite sure what you're asking? I don't keep up with each individual county, only the ones I hunt in because each is different depending on the doe limit.

In Mingo since it's a 1 buck limit, I can shoot a buck or doe in any order.

I know in Monroe because it's in the 3 doe limit that I can shoot a doe and then 2 bucks. But if I shoot a buck first, then I have to shoot a doe before I can shoot a second buck. As I understand it, I can't shoot 2 bucks and then a doe.

I don't know what county you hunt in but I'd call the game warden or regional DNR office for clarification.

Good luck

17-Nov-14
Not really asking anything, I guess. I guess it's more of a, did the guys (Little Bear) get clarification from what seemed to be some confusion?

The "Regulations Summary" reads pretty clear to me.

17-Nov-14
Jim, I didn't see your post where you listed out the possibilities before my last post but I think that is right. Jackson and Monroe must be the same.

17-Nov-14
3 deer counties, a doe must be killed before the second buck, if you posses the tags to do so. God Bless

17-Nov-14
1 buck limit would sure clear up this mass of confusion!

17-Nov-14
Well 2 bucks are two bucks no matter when you kill them. Lol

17-Nov-14
You are right but they did it to try to increase the doe kill where needed. In order for the 2 bucks to be killed a doe has to be killed too. It was done to help balance the buck/doe ratio and help improve the herd.

17-Nov-14
Oh I see.

18-Nov-14
I have a problem with the doe before a second buck If the regulations say "you can kill them in any order" what difference does it make. In any order wouldn't doe,buck,buck or buck doe buck or doe doe buck. If it is in any order why can't you take a buck buck doe that is any order somebody screwed up when they made up the regulations.

18-Nov-14
Buck,buck,OOOOOPs! Sun went down on December 31st before the doe. Oh well, maybe no one will notice, just don't brag about it on the bowsite.

18-Nov-14
Any order should mean any order

18-Nov-14
I guess they figured it would be possible to take 2 bucks and not kill the doe. Looks like they want a doe killed for every one or two bucks killed

19-Nov-14
I agree, regs say one of the two additional RB tags must be a doe. Then, they say the tags can be used in any order. So, it appears to me that you could kill 2 bucks and then a doe as long as you had kept an RB tag to check the doe in on.

19-Nov-14
But not in counties where you must kill a doe before a second buck.

19-Nov-14
It's like an amendment to the Constitution . In the 1 doe counties it can be in any order. You can kill 2 bucks and not have to kill any does. In 3 doe counties, you have to kill a doe either before or after 1st buck before killing second buck.

It's actually spelled out pretty simple in the printed regulations.

19-Nov-14
For those that are having trouble with this issue, review the regulations because if you plan on gun hunting next week it applies during gun season as well as archery season too.

19-Nov-14
But I was told that it CANNOT be in any order. That your first archery deer MUST be checked in under your license before you use an additional archery deer stamp even though I read the regualtions to state otherwise.

02-Dec-14
The way I understand it, in the county where I live and hunt, I can buy two additional archery tags. One of the additional tags must be used to take a doe. I can tag my first deer in on one of the additional tags. If my first deer is a doe and I check it in on one of my additional tags (one of the additional tags must be used to take a doe) then I can shoot two bucks and tag one in on the base license and one on the remaining additional tag. If my first deer is a buck then the next deer has to be a doe and it makes no difference if I check the buck in on my base license or on one of the additional tag. In other words the only way I can shoot two bucks in a row is if I shoot a doe first and check it in on one of my additional tags. Part of this doesn't make much sense to me but that's the way I understand it.

02-Dec-14
First deer must be on base license.

02-Dec-14
First deer must be on a base license would make sense but that might be one of the only things about these regulations that does make sense. I don't see anywhere in the regulations that say the first deer must be checked on the base license but I do see where it says that two additional deer may be taken with the use of RB stamps but one of them has to be a doe.

02-Dec-14
The way the regulations read the first deer can be checked in with your RB stamp (which would be your doe required before taking two bucks.

Class RB and Class RRB A resident may purchase only two Class RB stamps and a nonresident may purchase only two Class RRB stamps for the archery season. The Class RB or Class RRB archery stamps must be purchased prior to the opening of statewide archery season. Only one deer may be taken with each Class RB or RRB stamp. Deer taken on a base license or license stamp combination or Class RB or RRB stamps may be checked in any order. Class RB or RRB stamps cannot be used for taking deer with a firearm. Two additional deer may be taken with Class RB or Class RRB stamps, by holders of Class DT licenses or by a resident landowner hunting on their own land during the archery season. If two deer are taken on Class RB or Class RRB stamps, or on a Class DT license, or by a resident landowner using Class RB stamp privileges, one of the two must be an antlerless deer taken in a county open to Class N antlerless hunting. There are 31 counties or parts thereof (see pages 13, 18 and 20) that require archery deer hunters to take an antlerless deer during the archery deer season prior to harvesting a second antlered deer during the archery deer season. The annual limit for the four-county area of Logan, McDowell, Mingo and Wyoming counties is two archery deer, one of which must be antlerless. One Class RB or RRB stamp is valid in these counties, except if the first archery deer was taken in a county open to firearms deer hunting, then two deer (one must be antlerless) may be taken on Class RB or RRB stamps or a Class DT license in counties open to firearms deer hunting. The taking of archery antlerless deer during the buck firearms season is legal in these counties. To take additional archery deer, all residents except holders of Class DT licenses and resident landowners (see page 10) hunting on their own land are required to purchase Class RB stamps. All nonresidents except holders of Class DT licenses are required to purchase Class RRB archery stamps to take additional archery deer (see license requirements on page 11).

Link:http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1415/Deer_Archery.pdf

02-Dec-14

SpongeBen's Link
Sorry. See this link.

03-Dec-14
Class RB and Class RRB A resident may purchase only two Class RB stamps and a nonresident may purchase only two Class RRB stamps for the archery season. The Class RB or Class RRB archery stamps must be purchased prior to the opening of statewide archery season. Only one deer may be taken with each Class RB or RRB stamp. Deer taken on a base license or license stamp combination or Class RB or RRB stamps may be checked in any order. Class RB or RRB stamps cannot be used for taking deer with a firearm. Two additional deer may be taken with Class RB or Class RRB stamps, by holders of Class DT licenses or by a resident landowner hunting on their own land during the archery season. If two deer are taken on Class RB or Class RRB stamps, or on a Class DT license, or by a resident landowner using Class RB stamp privileges, one of the two must be an antlerless deer taken in a county open to Class N antlerless hunting. There are 31 counties or parts thereof (see pages 13, 18 and 20) that require archery deer hunters to take an antlerless deer during the archery deer season prior to harvesting a second antlered deer during the archery deer season. The annual limit for the four-county area of Logan, McDowell, Mingo and Wyoming counties is two archery deer, one of which must be antlerless. One Class RB or RRB stamp is valid in these counties, except if the first archery deer was taken in a county open to firearms deer hunting, then two deer (one must be antlerless) may be taken on Class RB or RRB stamps or a Class DT license in counties open to firearms deer hunting. The taking of archery antlerless deer during the buck firearms season is legal in these counties. To take additional archery deer, all residents except holders of Class DT licenses and resident landowners (see page 10) hunting on their own land are required to purchase Class RB stamps. All nonresidents except holders of Class DT licenses are required to purchase Class RRB archery stamps to take additional archery deer (see license requirements on page 11).

Link:http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1415/Deer_Archery.pdf

Huh? LOL. OMG. That paragraph sums up the WV regs. WV Law school is making their senior law students take a class on understanding the regs.

03-Dec-14
corey said it perfectly

• Sitka Gear