Mathews Inc.
Naugy SF - Quillinan Reservoir-Thoughts?
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
FifteenUp 14-Sep-14
Takeumdown 15-Sep-14
gundoglover 15-Sep-14
Dream Catcher@work 15-Sep-14
FifteenUp 15-Sep-14
Treerat 16-Sep-14
Ridgehunter 17-Sep-14
NEV 17-Sep-14
FifteenUp 17-Sep-14
FifteenUp 17-Sep-14
Pete 18-Sep-14
14-Sep-14
Took a hike here for the first time a couple weeks ago and saw some potential for getting a deer, including spotting a doe. Entered from the parking area off of rimmon rd. I haven't heard much about this place as far as hunting goes. Does anyone have any opinions on this place? What have you heard/experienced? Would it be worth putting time or a stand in there?

15-Sep-14
I live less then 5min from there and drive past it daily going to and from work. There's not many guys that hunt it now but the first couple years it was opened to hunting you could find a place to park. And there's a lot of hikers with dogs off leash. How ever I do see a lot of deer at all times of day.

15-Sep-14
I live close as well. I run my dogs there every day in the lower side as not to bother anyone hunting. I have found many carcass in the past couple of years. had a couple of run ins with my dogs and coyotes as well. there are a couple of really good areas with recent sign. just be carefull setting up stand because there are 12 stands there that are left up all year round.

15-Sep-14
I live off of Rimmon Rd and drive past this area numerous times throughout the day. Before hunting and state owned it would be rare not to see deer. Now it's a different story. More sightings when the snow is deep and they are close to the road. This is a pretty big area and you may want to enter from the south or west. Take a drive around the smaller streets and you should do well. On the west side of Clinton/Beaver St in bow only. I see deer all the time all over this area. Hope it helps!

15-Sep-14
Thanks, everyone. This certainly has helped. I'm gonna put a stand in there and try my luck. Anyone is welcomed to sit in it when I'm not there

16-Sep-14
12 stands, that it? I went there one year and there were so many stands and people in them that I couldn't find a place to climb a tree. I thought I was going to get shot that morning. Maybe things have changed, but one bad experience is enough for me.

17-Sep-14
Alot of guys have access from private property,would get there see no other vehicle's and think I'd have the area to my self but that wasn't so,but this was two years ago maybe it's different now.

17-Sep-14
The area changed once it became a shotgun area. The first year was outstanding a group of 10-20 deer was not uncomon to see. Still posible to get one there. The abutting property is now a special hunt with the regional water co.

17-Sep-14
Went out there this afternoon for the first time for a hunt. Only saw 1 doe about 75 yards away. I didn't have much luck today. Gonna keep trying, seems like there's still potential! It's hunting, not killing, right!?

17-Sep-14
Went out there this afternoon for the first time for a hunt. Only saw 1 doe about 75 yards away. I didn't have much luck today. Gonna keep trying, seems like there's still potential! It's hunting, not killing, right!?

18-Sep-14
I had access to the bow only side from private land off of Old Ansonia rd. a few years ago. before they clear cut it. The property lines between the WC and state land are a maze. I don't hunt it any more as I no longer can climb like a mountain goat and pack mule. my knees have said "no more." That said if you can get into the north west corner from Beaver St ( bit of a hike) your bound to be up to your neck in them brown furries, as most don't want to take that trek.

• Sitka Gear