RON 24-Sep-14
archer756 24-Sep-14
BH91 24-Sep-14
Peepin Tom 25-Sep-14
jjb4900 25-Sep-14
NYbob 26-Sep-14
NYbob 26-Sep-14
16-Sep-14
Hi I'm from New Jersey and hunt in NY sometimes. I have a question...i know the law is no hunting over a "bait pile" does that include salt licks and buck lure ? also are you allowed to lay bait prior to sitting in your stand for trail cam picture purposes'?

any info appreciated

thanks,

Justin

16-Sep-14
you can use buck lure, doe urine etc. No salt licks, or bait piles of any kind at any time of year. No feeding deer. Food plots are fine.

16-Sep-14
If one reads the NYSDEC Hunting laws one can us attractors as long as there is "NO SALT". Read the labels on most attractors and one will note SODIUM, which is salt This question comes up in almost ever Bow Hunters class, As I tell them read the written law!

17-Sep-14
so any type of attractant or bait can be put out as long as it doesn't contain salt? don't think so.

17-Sep-14
Just read the NYSDEC book the other day. As I recall it does say no salt but it also says that you cannot hunt over bait piles and things of that sort. I think it only permits using buck / doe urine and pretty much no other attractants.

17-Sep-14
Get a dictionary and read what a lure is and what is a attractor!

17-Sep-14
Also the rules don't say BAIT it states attractor

21-Sep-14
Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting? A: You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.................I got this off of DEC's website,seems like not all attractants are legal, sounds like anything put out that causes the deer to feed off the area where it's dumped is no good, regardless of the ingredients.

22-Sep-14
There's some kind of major "disconnect" with this whole topic of baiting, attractants, salt, minerals, liquids, etc. What I mean is that there are these regulations but you walk into Gander Mt. Store and there are literally scores of products...blocks, granular, liquids, most of which are comprised of sodium/NCL and are formulated for one thing....for attracting deer. I'm sure that many of those using these products on their land will claim they're just placing these products to assist in maximizing the health of their deer herd. Even farmers have salt and mineral blocks out on lands which are, in most cases, occupied by deer. I really don't think the use of these products makes killing deer easier. They're most sought after during the antler growing and fawning period....and problem lose much of their draw by fall when deer have plenty of other sources of food.

As far as actual baiting, someone tell me the essential difference between a pile of corn, carrots and turnips back in the woods versus hunting a small food of turnips, rape or sugar beets back in the woods put in specifically as a hunting plot for late season?

Reminds me of the time my son got ticketed for a slightly "tinted" license plate cover......which by the way is for sale in just about virtually any auto parts store in the state!

None of it makes sense to me.

22-Sep-14
The major "disconnect" is the people that have to cheat by using bait in a state where it's illegal. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that 3/4 of the bears taken in NY are taken by using bait, and maybe 1/4 of deer.

Even if the salt type products don't work into the fall season they can get the deer to develop trails that continue to be used year round.

The lawmakers have to start somewhere, so would it be right to prohibit growing 300 acres of corn? Yeah, the farmers would stage a revolt. How about 10 acres? How about 1 acre? How about a bunch in a garden? That's why it's not illegal to plant agricultural crops that the animals might eat. You can't just grow crops overnight, either. A big pile of corn poured on the ground can be done instantly and anywhere. That is the difference, like it or not.

As for Gander Mt. selling the stuff - it's legal to use in other states and there is no law in NY saying you can't SELL it, you just can't USE it. Just like window tint, those knobs you can put on a steering wheel, glass pipes sold in "head shops", modified exhaust pipes for snowmobiles, etc. - all legal or illegal depending on how and where you use them. The businesses can look the other way and say that it's up to the buyer what they use it for, legal or not.

24-Sep-14
Edict, what you say is true (about legal to sell but illegal to use) but that is to say the least, a very tortured argument . I think the reasonable assumption is that if folks are buying those products, they're using them!

24-Sep-14
IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK ,YOU DON'T NEED BAIT

24-Sep-14
Manner Of Taking

You may use decoys, calls and attractant scents to hunt big game. It is unlawful to: •Take big game while the deer or bear is in water •Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or accompanying a person bowhunting during special bowhunting seasons •Make, set or use salt licks or other attractant, whether block, liquid or powder that contain ANY amount of salt, upon lands inhabited by deer or bear at any time of year

Read what is stated in the NYS DEC Hunting Guide 2014/2015! ONE CAN US ANY ATTRAXTANT AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY SALT!

24-Sep-14
If that's the case then whats the point? Why is the salt the deciding factor on whether you can bait or not in NY? Doesn't make any sense to me.

25-Sep-14
I have to laugh when I go into the local Tractor Supply this time of year and the pallet that the "Mineral" blocks sat on is totally empty. Salt and salt based attractants are pretty much useless come mid to late October and are very much a waste of money. Salt does provide many benefits for the deer herd but contrary to what a lot of people think, the deer need the salt in the spring and summer months and will pretty much stop hitting the sodium/calcium when the vegetation turns sour in the fall months. Your best off dragging a bag of loose salt out to a flat spot on a ridge in early April so it can dissolve into the soil (Clay is best) just in time for the green up in spring. The deer will kill this area and even if they don’t use the lick in the fall they will dam sure make year round trails that go past or close to this area. I don’t use any commercial attractants so I can’t say if those work or not but I also can’t imagine they are better that apples, brassicas, or standing corn.

25-Sep-14
I got this directly from DEC's website. the last FAQ relate's to baiting and attractants....hopefully this will clear up any debate about what's legal or not......... http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

26-Sep-14
I wonder if burning honey is legal, I did it for years in Maine and in New Brunswick, by the way it sure does work!

26-Sep-14
I wonder if burning honey is legal, I did it for years in Maine and in New Brunswick, by the way it sure does work!

• Sitka Gear