tobywon 30-Sep-14
KSHOLLE1 30-Sep-14
Rut Nut 30-Sep-14
Rut Nut 30-Sep-14
Rut Nut 30-Sep-14
Rut Nut 01-Oct-14
Rut Nut 01-Oct-14
17-Sep-14
In case you have not heard yet- there is a cop killer on the loose. Killed a state trooper and wounded another at the PSP barracks in Blooming Grove on Fri. nite.

Not to add to the hysteria, but you may want to stay out of the woods until this nut is caught! : (

This was in the Pocono Record Today:

Pocono Record Editorial: Stay out of the woods until it's safe

By Pocono Record Editorial

September 17, 2014 September offers the beginning of hunting season, but hunters and every other person ought to stay out of the woods right now.

State police and officials from many other law enforcement agencies are on the watch for suspected sniper Eric Matthew Frein of Canadensis, who's suspected of killing a state trooper and critically wounding another late last Friday night at the Blooming Grove barracks. Frein is armed and extremely dangerous, police say. He's also trained in survival in the wild. No one should take the chance of crossing his path.

Yet reports of hunters in the field pursuing doves, ducks and geese (it's that season now), of shots fired Tuesday afternoon near Seven Pines Park in Cresco, and a report Tuesday night from a Canadensis resident, of shots fired in a nearby backyard (apparently scaring off a bear), have police scrambling.

Do yourself and the police a favor. Stay out of woods and fields until authorities have either arrested Frein or concluded that he is no longer in the area. The last thing police need when they're searching high and low for a suspected armed killer is a wild goose chase.

18-Sep-14
Good reminder Perry. Stay safe if you're in that area.

I hope somebody shoots that scumbag right in the head. I know that isn't right saying that, but quite frankly, I honestly believe that sometimes there are individuals that just need killin'.

18-Sep-14
Thanks Dave.

I heard they were searching the woods and cabins yesterday on the state forest where I regularly hunt. It's about 8-10 miles from the barracks. Think I will stick closer to home to hunt until this nut job is apprehended.

Hopefully he will walk out of the woods soon and turn himself in. They have wanted posters all over town. If he shows his face, someone will recognize him.

19-Sep-14
I have been following this story closely. We have a cabin about 2 miles from there as the crow flys. We were there last weekend when it happened and were stopped in the roadblocks. Just sickens me what this coward did. I don't want to miss the opener but I also don't want to be out there with a bow when this guy has a rifle. I hope they catch him fast so this area can return to normal. Strange to say but I also hope that the coward doesn't kill himself in some dense wooded area which would prolong the fear of the residents and schools.

19-Sep-14
CNN reporting that they may have him cornered so hopefully he is caught and receives the punishment he deserves

21-Sep-14
I hear you Paul. Unfortunately, those rumors appear to be false. Barrett Township where he lived was lifted from lockdown.

And I just heard on the news they found the AK-47 and magazines somewhere near where his Jeep was found. My bet is he is still near Blooming Grove out in the woods on high ground with the .308. They also said they have reason to believe he had planned this for months or even years.

I just hope and pray this ends without any more bloodshed!

22-Sep-14
This was just posted in the Pocono Record:

Despite some public reports of gunshots in the region in the days since the search started, Bivens said there has not been gunfire between Frein and police. "We are asking the public to use common sense and please avoid going into the wooded areas in and around Barrett and Price townships, as well as the Delaware State Forest area," said Bivens. "We know archery season is right around the corner and hunters might be setting up equipment — so, we are asking you to refrain from that in these areas until Frein is captured." However, officials ask hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to review photos or videos previously taken from trail cameras in those areas and share any images with police that contain images of Frein or suspicious activity. Anyone aware of any shelters or bunkers that Frein may have constructed or used in the past should report that information to state police.

Well, IF I had trailcams set up on the S.F. I would be giving them their location so THEY could go in there and retrieve the pics. Aain't no way I am going in there until this nut is caught! ;-)

22-Sep-14

Rut Nut's Link

22-Sep-14
Thanks Perry, from the sounds of it I thought he was out of Blooming Grove, but now I dont know what to believe. The wives are not too thrilled with us going for the opener if he is not caught by then. We may have no choice but to stay out of the woods anyway.

22-Sep-14
My personal belief is he will stay away from roads and houses IF he IS moving. Which I am not convinced he is. My gut feeling is he is still in the Blooming Grove area deep in the woods just waiting for the authorities to move in, and try to take as many of them out as possible.

But of course, nobody has a crystal ball.

But until he is caught, I am going to stay out of the S.F. and SGL up that way. Probably just hunt more down in 5C this year and wait to see what happens up here in 3D.

24-Sep-14
That AK-47 they found was in or near his parents home. This is a staged event to provide Gov. Corbet with more media exposure before the debate and election. The PSP keeps returning to his parents home. That is the last place he would be anywhere near.

12 days now, if he moved 5 miles per day minimum he could be 60 miles from the crime scene. He's supposedly a survivalist. With a potable water source, he could live the rest of his life out in the wilds. I took escape and evasion training in the service. It's far easier to hide than be the hunted. Find the thickest nastiest cover, crawl in it and curl up and wait. The one advantage the hunters have is thermal imaging. But with this vegetation still on the trees it's all but useless now.

Several hundred camo clad bowhunters out and about will have the dispatchers phones lit up non stop. We may want to reconsider going out to setup or hunt. Your saftey, not from Fein but also from heavily armed LEOs under a lot of stress and pressure encountering camoflauged individuals in the woods.

Think about what you are doing

24-Sep-14
They just had a news conference and supposedly he's crapping in diapers.I'm not sure what to make of that.They claim he's been spotted a few times.

25-Sep-14
This is unreal. Sounds like they need to put on an ole PA deer drive on him and end this game. Have standers with rifles and dogs to let loose.

28-Sep-14
Two Hawks- They found that AK-47 near his Jeep in Blooming Grove, not near where he lived in Barrett Township.

But I agree with everything else you said. Hope hunters take the advice and stay out of the woods, at least in the areas of search.

I was coming up 209 thru the Bushkill area at 4pm today when I passed 21 PSP trooper cars going south. Each one had 2 troopers. They were coming down bushkill falls road, so evidently they were searching in Pike today, probably the S.F.

Doug- I'm assuming he might wear diapers to stay motionless in the bush while laying in ambush.

Toby- I think that's what he wants them to do so he can try to pick them off.

29-Sep-14
WNEP said the PGC just decided today that Archery Season will NOT be closed in the area due to the search. Didn't even know they had the authority to do that. They urged all hunters to wear blaze orange, though starting Saturday so they can be positively identified as hunters.

Don't think the hunting would be much good in the search area anyway....................can you imagine how spooked the deer are right now???!!!!

30-Sep-14

Rut Nut's Link

30-Sep-14
Thanks Rut, I read that this morning. It seems like the search area is far enough from our cabin unless the police are way off track. Maybe I'll at least go in with an orange cap.

30-Sep-14
I hunt about 5 miles south of the barracks off of 402 and I know of at least 3 hunters including myself that will be in the woods Saturday morning. It is a bit creepy though knowing he could be out there.

30-Sep-14
Toby- They said in the above link that hunters are likely to encounter law enforcement in 6 townships including Blooming Grove, Porter and Lehman townships in Pike.

BE CAREFUL guys if you go out! They said today they have found pipe bombs apparently left in the woods by this nut! :(

30-Sep-14

Rut Nut's Link

30-Sep-14
Bivens: Archery deer season starts Saturday. State police are working with the Game Commission. If hunters find anything suspicious, they are asked to call the tip line at 866-326-7256.

Bivens: Police say it is ultimately the Game Commission's decision what guidelines or restrictions are issued for hunters

Bivens: Authorities have found a number of items, including two pipe bombs that were fully functional. They could have be detonated by trip wires or by a lighted fuse.

Bivens: Frein may have placed similar devices to the pipe bombs in woods around the search area.

Ray Tonkin, Pike County district attorney, says that items left behind by Frein could pose a significant hazard to the public in the woods within the search area. He is asking people to refrain from being in the search area.

Bivens: The items found by law enforcement seem to have been hastily discarded.

Bivens: Authorities won't show where exactly the pipe bombs were located, but they were within the general search area along the Pike/Monroe county border. These bombs could be fatal.

01-Oct-14

Rut Nut's Link
Well, the PGC just CLOSED all hunting in 7 townships in Monroe and Pike!

01-Oct-14
Release #85-14 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Oct. 1, 2014 For Information Contact: Travis Lau 717-705-6541 [email protected] MANHUNT PLACES HUNTING SEASONS ON HOLD Game Commission executive order temporarily halts hunting and trapping in seven townships. The Pennsylvania Game Commission has temporarily closed all hunting and trapping seasons within seven townships in northeastern Pennsylvania, where the search continues for a fugitive wanted in the shooting death of a state police trooper. Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough today issued an executive order to close temporarily the hunting and trapping seasons within Price, Barrett and Paradise townships in Monroe County; and Blooming Grove, Porter, Lehman and Greene townships in Pike County. The townships all are within Wildlife Management Unit 3D. The closure affects all private and public lands, including the portions of State Game Lands 180, 183 and 221 located within those townships. Those portions of game lands are closed to all public access while the executive order is in effect. Hunting and trapping seasons will remain closed in the identified townships until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency’s website at the time it is issued. The closure was initiated after the Pennsylvania State Police advised on Tuesday that troopers who are part of the search for fugitive Eric Frein had uncovered explosive devices that apparently were left behind in wooded areas by the fugitive, and would pose an obvious danger to anyone who would encounter them. Hough said the discovery of the devices, and the danger associated with the search effort in general, would pose too great a risk to hunters, trappers and members of the general public. “While we realize this temporary closure might disappoint some of the hunters and trappers it affects, we’re certain, too, they understand the gravity of the situation, as well as the danger in allowing the seasons to continue as scheduled, given this new information,” Hough said. “Plenty of good hunting and trapping opportunities remain outside of the temporarily closed area, and we need hunters to readily adjust their plans to help bring resolution to this case and see that justice is served.” Frein is wanted in the Sept. 12 ambush-shooting death of Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Bryon Dickson II outside the state police barracks in Blooming Grove, Pike County. Trooper Alex Douglass was wounded in the attack. The search for Frein has continued since, and police recently discovered explosive devices – at least one of which was attached to a trip wire – in the area they were searching. The Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code authorizes the Game Commission to close any hunting or trapping season, or otherwise take necessary action, to assure the purposes of the code, including assuring the health and safety of the persons who hunt or take game and wildlife. The Game Commission earlier this week issued an advisory to those who might be planning to hunt in the area of the search, and indicated that the seasons would continue as scheduled, but the recent findings by state police changed the circumstances. Game Commissioner James J. Delaney Jr. , who represents Pike, Monroe and other northeastern Pennsylvania counties as part of the eight-member board that sets policy for the Game Commission, said the temporary closure is supported in full by the commissioners and is necessary given the totality of circumstances. By closing the hunting seasons in the area of the search, the Game Commission hopes to remove risks to human safety, and ensure there will be no interference in the effort to apprehend Frein. “The suspect has demonstrated a disregard for human life,” Delaney said, “The safety of the law-enforcement officers who are part of the search, as well as that of the sporting public, must take precedence here.”

• Sitka Gear