babysaph 19-Sep-14
babysaph 19-Sep-14
Little Bear 19-Sep-14
babysaph 19-Sep-14
Bennett2012 20-Sep-14
sledgehammer 23-Sep-14
gobbler 23-Sep-14
19-Sep-14
What is a portable tree stand in your opinion. A climber? A hang on? Both? The regulations state that public land portable tree stands only are allowed. Does that mean they have to be carried in every day and carried out every day. This seems very subjective to me and unclear. The way I have always understood it is that the tree stand can not be built to the tree and permanent ie. wooden steps leading to a wooden platform fastened to the tree with nails. I personally have always used a climber however this year I considered a hang on and wanted to get others opinions. Thanks.

19-Sep-14
I think they want it carried in and out every day so people don't lay claim to a certainnarrea

19-Sep-14
I think you are right babysaph. I think both hang-ons and climbers are considered portable but I would never consider leaving a hang on on the tree in a public area. It advertises your presence and is asking for someone to steal the stand which unfortunate as it is happens all too often even on private land.

19-Sep-14
Tree stands in public land cannot b nailed to trees must be removeable,,,I hunted public land for years and walked way back where others didn't go ,,,I just buried my stand in the leaves after dark when I left for weeks at a time , sometimes it left it in tree over nite but no longer

19-Sep-14
I think most of the stands stolen now are by meth heads who are taking them to sell for scrap metal for a couple dollars.

19-Sep-14
The other issue is screw in tree steps are not permitted for use on public lands. I have come across many stands on the WMA we hunt. Some are locked to trees, others have the steps removed.

19-Sep-14
I have gone back to climbers for that reason. My ladders get legs even on my property.

19-Sep-14
I left a tree overnight after dark where you wud think it would be impossible to know where I was. It was gone the next morning when I got there.

19-Sep-14
bet the slob used one of those stihl chainsaws...LOL!

19-Sep-14
I meant treestand lol

20-Sep-14
Wonder if they hugged the tree first?

23-Sep-14
There is a 2 man stand on the WMA in Jefferson county that has been there for atleast the past 3-4 seasons. It is rumored that the individual who put it there does not mind if others use it - AS LONG AS HE IS NOT HUNTING. Personally that poses a huge problem in my opinion. WMA's are not personal leases, and no individual has the right to lay claim to any area of that property. I see it as a fight, or worse, just waiting to happen.

23-Sep-14
Legally, I think stands are supposed to be removed at the end of the hunting day. Someone can"t "claim" an area his.

• Sitka Gear