hgultch 21-Sep-14
wvmule 22-Sep-14
ken 23-Sep-14
gcoleman 24-Sep-14
gobbler 24-Sep-14
Babysaph 24-Sep-14
gcoleman 25-Sep-14
19-Sep-14
I'm not a hunter, the males in my family are... but not bow or bear, waterfowl is there forte. Was hoping someone would provide advice. I'm back packing during opening bear bow season in WV. My friend wants to bring his black lab, I'm hesitant. He doesn't see a problem with it. He also lives in MD in the city. I'm sorry to annoy your members with non hunting topics, but it is related. I'm not a hunter, but a hiker and we share the woods, and want to be respectful to everyone I'm sharing the woods...should the dog stay home...., could someone mistake her for a bear.? Thank you to anyone that answers this, again I have np w/ hunting as my family hunts, I just prefer to wakk. :}

19-Sep-14
I'm not a hunter, the males in my family are... but not bow or bear, waterfowl is there forte. Was hoping someone would provide advice. I'm back packing during opening bear bow season in WV. My friend wants to bring his black lab, I'm hesitant. He doesn't see a problem with it. He also lives in MD in the city. I'm sorry to annoy your members with non hunting topics, but it is related. I'm not a hunter, but a hiker and we share the woods, and want to be respectful to everyone I'm sharing the woods...should the dog stay home...., could someone mistake her for a bear.? Thank you to anyone that answers this, again I have np w/ hunting as my family hunts, I just prefer to wakk. :}

19-Sep-14

20-Sep-14
I can't imagine any ethical hunter mistaking a dog for a bear or deer. But to be on the safe side you might want to consider putting a small bell on the dogs collar. Not only should this protect the dog but would double as a location device should the dog wonder off to far. That time of the year is a wonderful time to be in the woods, I hope you have a great trip.

20-Sep-14
You might want to get an orange vest to put on the dog--one made for dogs. That would probably be the safest approach.

20-Sep-14
Have to agree with David & lone eagle. But, as a hunter of public lands, I have seen other non-hunters with dogs and it is always appreciated when they are on a leash. I have had dogs chase deer and hear their owners off in the distance yelling for their dogs. In WV it is legal to shoot a dog chasing live stock on one's property. I am not sure about chasing wildlife on public lands.

20-Sep-14
It is NOT legal to shoot a dog chasing deer on public or private land. It is legal for DNR police officer to do so.

That said , it still happens. The orange vest and bell sounds like a good idea to me.

20-Sep-14
Thanks Gobbler. I was not sure about that part. Here is the WV code regarding livestock.

ยง19-20-16. Same -- When lawful to kill dog. A person may kill a dog that he may see chasing, worrying, wounding or killing any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry outside of the enclosure of the owner of the dog, unless the chasing or worrying be done by the direction of the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits.

21-Sep-14
Thank You everyone for the great advice. I really appreciate it! The dog will never be off the lead, and I will take the advice and get a bell, and vest for her. Again than you for your responses. Will have a great weekend hiking in the mountains of WV!

22-Sep-14
hglutch, I live near the Monongahela National Forest and have hunted on public land there for decades. I can't imagine you having a single problem with hunters, especially if you take the extra precautions mentioned above. I would go as far to say a bandana around the dog's neck will be all you would need to ensure the dog's safety. Those who hunt on public land are aware that the land serves many others in a large array of circumstances. Also, hunters tend to stay far away from trails and other situations where hikers will be found as it interferes with hunting. Have a great time in WV!

23-Sep-14
A 22 year old man was killed by a bear in new jersey this past week while walking with some friends be carefull

24-Sep-14
if wv doesn't kill off more bears were going to run into problems here.... I get more bear pictures then deer pictures in fayette co

24-Sep-14
I think a man from VA. Got attacked by a sow with cubs in the eastern panhandle a month or so ago.

24-Sep-14
That was in Strasburg Va. I believe gobbler.

25-Sep-14
its nuts around here,, got one picture with sow and 3 cubs,, big cubs

• Sitka Gear