soldierbowman2 26-Sep-14
John Scifres 27-Sep-14
soldierbowman2 28-Sep-14
pav 29-Sep-14
soldierbowman2 29-Sep-14
John Scifres 06-Oct-14
groundhawg 08-Oct-14
20-Sep-14
I've got a question or two about the new deer check in rules. I hunt alone and pretty far off travel paths or roads on public land. If I kill a deer, can I check it in with my cell phone and then bone it out and pack it out . On the surface it seems like its not even a question but some other rules complicate it some. Requirement to keep head attached to body until processing begins. On one hand boning out the meat is starting the processing but I'm not sure about this requirement. It says in the guide not to dump a dead deer in a stream or water and then it goes on to say not to leave dead body out in the open either and that leaving a deer body is considered illegal dumping. I know the law was not invented for this scenario but would it apply to a deer after it has been boned out ? Then there is the requirement to have the temporary tag on the deer before leaving it in a vehicle. If you have the tele check number with the deer do you need the temporary transport tag with the cooler in the vehicle? Is it legal to telecheck a deer and bone it and pack it out like is common to do out west?

22-Sep-14
Call the Indy DNR law enforcement office to be sure...

26-Sep-14
This is quoted from hunting indiana,s ask a CO forum

jb1069 Full Member ***

Question #1 Is it legal to quarter up a deer in the field and pack it out as long as you have filled out the transportation tag?

Question #2 If the answer to question #1 is "no it is not legal". Is it legal to quarter up a deer in the field if you use your phone to check them in online before you begin quartering them up?

CO's reply:

You cannot begin processing the deer until it has been checked in at an official check station or through the electronic check in and record the number on the temporary transportation tag. Therefore, the scenario in question #1 is not legal. Question #2 would be legal once the deer is checked in using the electronic system and the confirmation number is recorded on the temporary transportation tag. You must have permission to leave the waste products on the property you are hunting if you are using the scenario in question #2. You are NOT allowed to dump or leave this remains on state property.

I apologize for the delayed response.

26-Sep-14
I got a slightly different answer from [email protected]. You can decide how to use it.

From: DNR LAW [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:13 AM To: John Scifres Subject: RE: Deer Checking and In Field Processing

The state allows field dressing on their properties.

From: John Scifres Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:52 AM To: DNR LAW Subject: RE: Deer Checking and In Field Processing

Thank you. What if it is state or national forest or WMAs?

************************************ From: DNR LAW [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:13 AM To: John Scifres Subject: RE: Deer Checking and In Field Processing

Yes sir, you may process the animal, once it has been tele-checked, and leave the remains on the property, provided that you have permission to do so from the property owner. One word of caution, the law still states that you must fill out a temporary transportation tag (name, address, sex of animal, date of kill).

From: John Scifres Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:18 PM To: DNR LAW Subject: Deer Checking and In Field Processing

If a deer is killed and then the online CheckIn or phone system is used, can it be processed in the field instead of being dragged out. Can the carcass (bones and gutpile) remain in the field? Thanks.

26-Sep-14
Very helpful. Thank you all for your help. I think that's my plan then. It probably also makes a little difference as to the spot you leave the remains. Just off a trail or travel path Vs. back in the deep. I'm just guessing but it might also be helpful to retain some evidence as to the sex of the deer as well.

27-Sep-14

John Scifres's Link
I don't take anything but the meat. I bone out everything except the shoulders which I will take out whole and bone out back at camp. Make sure to take a couple cotton game bags and unscented trash bags to keep your pack clean.

Once you check the deer in, it is yours and you are not required to retain evidence of the sex of the deer. It is akin to having the meat in your freezer. Good luck this season!

28-Sep-14
Thanks John. At least I now know I wont be the only one doing that.

29-Sep-14
"Make sure to take a couple cotton game bags and unscented trash bags to keep your pack clean."

Ditto...but I would add, get the meat out of the trash bags ASAP so it can cool properly.

29-Sep-14
Roger that Pav. I use a surplus military pack and blood rinses out of it easily so normally I don't use plastic bags.

06-Oct-14
I usually put it in a cooler with ice after getting it back to camp. The past couple years, I froze the larger chunks whole and then cut steaks and roast as I need them. Depending on the size of the deer, that might be a whole hindquarter for a small deer or just the separate muscles from a larger one. I bone the shoulders out most of the time but I cooked a whole shoulder over the fire last year and we ate it at camp. Very tasty but don't over cook it.

Nothing died at camp this weekend so I have no recent experiences. Heading to Idaho for elk in a couple weeks. Maybe eat some camp meat then.

08-Oct-14
Good luck John......

• Sitka Gear