Bloodtrail 21-Sep-14
CTCrow 21-Sep-14
Chuck>>>--------> 21-Sep-14
Wild Bill 21-Sep-14
vvreddy 21-Sep-14
20-Sep-14
Need some advice. I found a small 10 acre honey hole with plenty of sign food and deer. I need to keep the deer I arrow in the small plot Im on. I set up a 20' tree stand but I'm thinking I'll get better kill shots from the ground due to better chances of double lung shots. I'm shooting 425 grain fmj with slick trick mags at 275 Fps from my bowtech I shoot consistent 3 inch groups at 20 yards with broad heads and won't shoot further. What's my best shot on stand or ground. Best shot placement for quickest cleanest ethical kills? Thanks guys hoping to arrow my first deer this season.

20-Sep-14
Unfortunately even the perfect double lung shot doesn't mean they drop right away. If also depends on the animal if they have a full breath when you shoot them and every animal is different. I have been lucky that nearly all my kills have not travelled more than 75 yards but my wife has double lunged deer that have gone 300 yards. I guess spining a deer only way they drop in the same spot but not sure that's the most ethical .

20-Sep-14

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
15 feet is high enough. Better angle through the lungs. Avoid shooting those too close to your tree. Being elevated is your best chance if you are new. Better than a ground blind. Also, if you don't want them to go far, only shoot at relaxed deer. Don't stop them with a grunt. Unalarmed deer will often just make a hop and a skip then stop, even when vitally hit, and try to figure out "what the heck was that??" then they keel over. Alarmed deer are on alert and when they get shot they must think "I just KNEW something was wrong! I am getting the f@$%k out of here!" and even if they live just ten seconds, they can make it off a small property.

21-Sep-14
I agree with rob27 and Dr.deer I would also add be very patient with your shot's and wait for the perfect opportunity . If this is truly a honey hole you'll have plenty of them. More importantly be patient after the shot unless it drop's in front of you give it plenty of time no matter how good you think the shot was, don't want to be bumping the deer off the property.

21-Sep-14
Yup, the heart/lung shot is always the best choice. Hitting heart or 2 lungs will get it done every time.

I agree that getting up off the ground is your best bet. Visualize the exit wound spot and that will tell you where the entrance needs to be. If you've studied and memorized the anatomy of a deer you will know if that arrow path will result in 2 lungs being hit.

Unless you are way up in a tree, or (as Dr said) the deer is very close to you, you're very likely to get both lungs.

Also pay a lot of attention to the deer's body language, you can learn when they are fully relaxed, semi alert and on edge.

Being off the ground gives you several advantage: Increased Visibility, Better chance at a relaxed deer, A low exit wound for maximum external bleeding. Wait for the perfect broadside deer, or one slightly quartering away.

Also, keep practicing, the better you get, the more confidence you'll have at KNOWING you can execute a shot. Shoot from longer distances while your practice, knowing your can hit from 40 makes 20 seems like a piece of cake.

All of the things people have mentioned here come with experience. You can shorten your learning curve by spending lots of time in the woods and observing deer. Don't be overly anxious about killing A deer, or LOTS of deer. Just enjoy your time in the woods and soak it all it in. Trying to rush through the learning curve rarely results in anything but trouble.

Also, have you asked surrounding property owners about recovering deer on their property? Knowing that's allowed will give you peace of mind. Knowing it's forbidden completely will give you information you should use in choosing your stand sight. Sometimes the "best" spot on a property is one we shouldn't hunt due to uncooperative neighbors.

Be patient the deer will come, and so will the experience. There are some very knowledgeable guys here, so soak up as much of the advice as you can.

Have fun, this stuff gets in your blood if you do it right!

21-Sep-14
All sound advice listed above. I know someone already mentioned this but one point I always make to others is avoiding shots at alarmed deer. If they are doing the foot stomp and head bob or staring at you, they will jump at the sound of the arrow release and who knows where you might hit that animal. Usually shots taken at "wired" deer become a nightmare real fast.

21-Sep-14
Practice with your broadheads on and from an elevated position. Just switch out the blades with razor sharp ones for hunting. Make sure you can drill your mark every time....every single time.

21-Sep-14
All good advice.

My stands are all 16 feet high. I shoot the majority of my deer within 10-15 yards (last one was 9). Being lower give me a better angle to get both lungs or lung and heart.

21-Sep-14
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be taking a 4 ft section out of my stand makes sense that's its a better angle. I'm new to bow hunting but not new to being in the woods I've been hunting for 20 yrs I'm crazy about scent control and blending in. I do have a blind I might throw up and watch how the deer react to it and then use it when the wind is just right. Thanks again

21-Sep-14
I went out today and took one section out I'm down at 15.5' much better shooting angle and lanes are better too. I practiced a bit at 10 yards and under I have to aim 6 inches low at 15 - 20 I aim 2 inches low to be dead on thanks for the advice I'll be out in the morning

21-Sep-14

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
On the ground, quartering away, shoot for the front leg on the opposite side. From above, put it behind the shoulder hump on the back, angling forward. See the photo.

21-Sep-14
Apart from the scent, concealment, etc. etc. factors I think the main advantage of a downward shot is the low exit wound with a good blood trail. Deer that are double lunged fairly high in the body with a parallel shot can leave a surprisingly sparse bloodtrail sometimes.

Although hunting from the ground is a huge thrill and much harder in most cases I think.

21-Sep-14
Thanks for all the tips I'll be putting them to use in the am.

• Sitka Gear