babysaph 27-Oct-14
WV Mountaineer 27-Oct-14
JayD 27-Oct-14
Ron Miller 30-Oct-14
Bennett2012 31-Oct-14
Jack Whitmrie jr 02-Nov-14
Turk 07-Nov-14
23-Sep-14
Just looking for some reassurance.... My son (14) has been shooting a Parker youth bow for the past few years, and has become a pretty accurate shot. I have the bow maxed out at 40 pounds this year. He could probably draw more but he's shooting very well with this bow, and I hate to make changes this close to opening day - not to mention the cost associated with purchasing a new bow. He is shooting 125gr COC heads. (Montec G5) Has anyone had experience hunting with lighter poundage bows? I just want to make sure this is enough bow to ethically harvest a deer. I know shot placement is key. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

23-Sep-14
Yes, assuming good shot placement 40 pounds is an ethical poundage for a whitetail.

Good luck to the young man!

23-Sep-14
Many states have a minimum bow draw weight to hunt and most I know of it is 40lbs. So he should be fine Here is a partial list I found. Alabama: 35 lbs.

Alaska: 40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall Sheep and caribou

50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox, and bison

Arizona: 40 lbs

Arkansas: 40 lbs

Colorado: 35 lbs.

Connecticut: 40 lbs

Delaware: No minimum limit

Florida: 35 lbs

23-Sep-14
40lb is plenty, my wife has killed multiple deer on no more than that. Keep in mind that shot placement and a sharp broadhead are key ingredients to a successful hunt. Word from experience.... I haven't had much luck with keeping an edge on the montecs, may look at a Magnus/ muzzy phantom style head but that's just my opinion. Shoot straight

23-Sep-14
Not a problem

23-Sep-14
I agree with wycomtman, I would use a cut on contact head,like a magnus or muzzy.

24-Sep-14
I agree with the others. I killed my first deer about 19 years ago with a bow set at 40lbs. I used a 100 grain Thunderhead and put right behind the shoulder. The small 8 point went about 50 yards.

That sure brings back good memories. Best of luck to your son!

24-Sep-14
my son has been hunting with a bow since he was 10 (now 12) and he doesnt pull anymore than that, maybe even a few pounds less. he has taken three deer and none of them have traveled more that 80 yards. no pass throughs but plenty of penetration to humanely harvest the animal. as someone stated above, good shot placement is essential. good luck and post pictures!!

24-Sep-14
Thanks for the input, and kind words. I'm hoping this is his year for a bow kill. He has taken a couple does with the 30-30, but hasn't felt the adrenaline rush of a bow kill. I am VERY proud to say toward the end of last season I took him out with me a few times, and he had the opportunity to draw his bow on a fork horned buck - but did not shoot because the right shot didn't present itself. At 13 that blew me away, to see him actually practice what I have taught him over the years was awesome!

24-Sep-14
Good luck

24-Sep-14
Plenty of weight. Use a different head. One of the few animals I shot with a compound, and that was a bunch, that didn't have a complete pass through was with a Montec. Those steep angles hurt penetration. God Bless

24-Sep-14
My daughter shoots 40 lbs and kills deer and also shot thru 2 wild boar in tennessee with her bow,, uses a g5 montec broad head

27-Oct-14

sledgehammer's embedded Photo
sledgehammer's embedded Photo
Very proud to say my son made a 22 yard shot this weekend on his first bow kill, and also first buck!

27-Oct-14
good deal. Congrats

27-Oct-14
Tell the young fella congrats. Looks like he got two holes minimum. Plenty of power. God Bless

27-Oct-14
That is awesome! Congrats!!!!

30-Oct-14
Congrats to you and your Son !

God bless ya !

Ron Miller

31-Oct-14
Congrats to you and your son!!!! Can't wait for my lil man to get big enough to do the same keep it up and god bless

02-Nov-14
Good job !

07-Nov-14
congratulations!

• Sitka Gear