Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
passthruoutdoors 24-Sep-14
Bloodtrail 24-Sep-14
notme 24-Sep-14
24-Sep-14
Hunted 3 days saw a few bucks..... young... one morning 23 does 4 fawns. Does anyone think that in some areas lack of low browse , lack of avail food in general contributes to the low fawn counts?if you cant feed yourself you can't nurse offspring. 19 or so deer feeding off of a cluster of 4 trees...and a landowner telling me she has a group of deer eating ev day makes me think its lack of nutrition over predation. And NO im not in or near redding so that debate can end before the Richard craniums chime in.

24-Sep-14
I was down for 4 days I saw very few deer in easton . Some in newtown most in east lyme on private land. Unhunted.

24-Sep-14
I was down for 4 days I saw very few deer in easton . Some in newtown most in east lyme on private land. Unhunted.

24-Sep-14
I would agree with the lack of food - in late winter. In relation to the heavy snows we have gotten, plus how long it stays on the ground, many deer dont have optimum nutrition when they need it most. Lack of acorns the last few years have hurt too (though this year seems to be very good acorn crop). And there are studies have concluded that although predation on fawns is typical, the stress the predators put on the does -chasing/harassing- could cause them to prematurely lose their offspring.

I think the bottom line is that if you want more deer...lay off shooting the does to increase the chances they survive and bear more fawns.

24-Sep-14
richard craniums,that b funny...foods going to play a big part..in the 2 yrs ive been hunting toyland theres hardly any under growth.

• Sitka Gear