Contributors to this thread:
Thunderflight 25-Sep-14
mixed bag 25-Sep-14
RMH 25-Sep-14
Bogey 26-Sep-14
25-Sep-14

Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
This year I hunted with BB and a few other bowsiters in Wyoming. Bill sets up the trip with the intent of passing on his knowledge of western hunting at no cost. Bill Allard is without a doubt one of the greatest hunters I have meet, down to earth, and a genuine good guy.

Opening day was on August 15th, but my retirement ceremony was on the 16th (28 years in the Marine Corps). I flew out of BWI to SLC on the 18th, met up with BB, headed to camp, was given the tour of the area, got a the permission slip to access private land (the area is checkered with private an public land), and stared hunting the next morning.

The weather wasn't the greatest. Rain and cool temps made hunting over water futile so we decided to drive around and see if we could find a goat in a stalkable position. After a few blown attempts I found one who must have been blind and deaf because I got to within 40 yards.

At the shot he started walking and I ended up hitting him way back in upper hams and lower gut. We tracked him for a mile, found him bedded up in a sage flat, and watched him for 5 hours. The plan was to wait until around 6pm and I'd try and stalk up to him and finish the deed.

At 5:30 after having his head down for 20 minutes and looking close to death he got up and started walking off. Surprised we decided the best option would be for me to chase him and hopefully wear him down enough that he'd bed and either expire or allow me to get close enough to finish him.

So here I am, chasing this goat at 7000 feet of elevation, in soft sand, jumping sage brush and carrying by gear for almost a mile (I didn't realize I had to train to hunt antelope). The end result was my goat jumping/sliding off a 300 foot shale cliff. I thought he was finished for sure, but sure enough that tough critter was walking (very slowly) at the bottom. I figured he was gone, but then he bedded up. Bill looked me and said he'll be there in the morning dead and he was right.

The meat and cape were still good and he's quite tasty. I ended up packing him out a mile to the closest accessible road, but it's ok and only added to the adventure. I'm not expert, but I green scored him at 69 inches.

25-Sep-14
looks like a very nice buck!!Congrats on a tough hunt to do diy on.I'm 0-2 on archery pronghorn with 2 misses.Spot and stalk is an incredible way to take one also.My kids love the meat,and beg me to hunt them each year

25-Sep-14
Nice antelope, not your typical hunt for sure. Congrats and good hunting the rest of the season.

26-Sep-14
Congrats! Sounds like a great adventure!

• Sitka Gear