GoJakesGo 25-Sep-14
razorhead 25-Sep-14
Kevin 25-Sep-14
Kevin 25-Sep-14
Zinger 26-Sep-14
Naz MacBook 26-Sep-14
Jeff in MN 26-Sep-14
25-Sep-14
I guess I am a little out of touch with the case law change. I just heard that unloaded guns (at least long guns) no longer need to be cased in a vehicle. Can bows be in a vehicle uncased too now?

Guess it was passed in the same bill that allows concealed carry.

I will probably still case both most of the time anyway but just curious.

25-Sep-14
"Can bows be in a vehicle uncased too now?"

Yes, but tempting theft while in a store or protecting your string/sights would be safer with a case.

25-Sep-14
Yes to bows uncased. I still case mine weapons to protect them.

When this first changed I had a warden tell me of a hunter she checked. She watched him drive down a rough two track, turn around and stopped for her when he came back. The scoped rifle was unloaded but laying in the bed of the truck all the time he was driving the rough read. The truck had a plastic bedliner so I wonder if that hunter ever hit anything with the gun :-)

25-Sep-14
Yes, it has been this way for the 3rd season.

25-Sep-14
I case my guns for long trips but hunting in the county I just toss them in the back seat. Bows I also just toss in the back seat. Bows are not an investment and they loose most of their value the second you walk out the store with them. The value that is lost is a crying shame.

25-Sep-14
" Bows I also just toss in the back seat. Bows are not an investment and they loose most of their value the second you walk out the store with them. The value that is lost is a crying shame."

Imo, the crying shame is drawing on a deer and your optic fiber pin has been knocked off zero or laying in the backseat, or your string was nicked and is about to explode at full draw.

25-Sep-14
If im in my hunting rig, everything is cased. If im driving my wifes car, everything Is super clean, soft, and im not leaving blacktop so I set things in the back seat.

25-Sep-14
I worked too hard and paid too much for my nice side by side and bows, so they are cased, BUT word of caution, to grouse hunters.......

If you hunt the border, the guns have to be cased in Michigan, just saying, if you hunt both states......

The law makes alot of sense. I remember coming back to my truck with the dogs, open the acion of my side by side, unloded, and could not even lay it on my tail gate...........

25-Sep-14
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/51

Jeff, it was act 51 the link above. which is different from the CCW law

25-Sep-14
Also, I have a crew cab so I just lay on the back seat. just because I can.

26-Sep-14
I also have a crew cab, the back seat is just as soft and secure as a case. Sad part is I sell gun cases?!?!

26-Sep-14
Crew cab here too and sometimes in a rush and don't case, but usually do. Soft back seat or not, a lot can happen (and most of it bad) if you have to slam on the brakes.

26-Sep-14
Have not seen any Texas gun racks in the back window of any pickup truck yet. Only a matter of time.

I had heard stories of people leaning an unloaded gun against a car and getting ticketed. Poor practice anyway because it is so easy for them to fall or you forget and drive off with it still leaning on the car. This was a good law to change even though many people still use a case. Cold weather would be another reason to still use a case. Cold gun/bow, warm car not a good combination.

• Sitka Gear