Babysaph 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
hookman 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
Babysaph 17-Oct-14
25-Sep-14
Someone might as well start this...how many of you are going to limit yourself to one buck and done during this year's hunting season?

25-Sep-14
I will, and have for years.

25-Sep-14
If that is what you want - limit yourself to that but I will stick to wanting to get two nice bucks here ( 2 and your thru). I am not as firm as believer as some of you that one and done will have a huge buck behind every tree. If that were the case Pa would have had huge bucks years ago but larger bucks did not happen until they implemented antler restrictions. I like knowing that I can kill a nice buck and then have the chance to hunt in my home state for a second instead of paying a bunch of money to go to another state to hunt.

25-Sep-14
I plan too. May not even kill one. I didn't kill one in WV last year. Could have shot several 110-120 but didn't.

25-Sep-14
I try to take a buck a year and put some intense pressure on the does. If i want to shoot two I will as it is legal, but my main focus is one buck a year in WV.

25-Sep-14
I will

25-Sep-14
The plan is one and done.

26-Sep-14
I'll probably end up killing three doe. I'd rather have a doe for eating purpose anyway. But if a buck shows himself and presents a nice shot. Kattie Bar the Door!

26-Sep-14
And it looks like it has worked in PA, and in KY-OH

26-Sep-14
Have not found a good recipe for antlers. So unless it is bigger than my largest, it walks.

26-Sep-14
I bought my extra tag, I set my goal for a P&Y, the second would have to be larger than the first, late December I'll use the second tag to take another doe

26-Sep-14
I'm all for the one and done as long as the entire state is doing it ,but,as long as we can kill two bucks during archery season I will. no reason to let them go so the neighbors shoot them. Unless I owned a bunch of land and had other landowners around who would practice deer management it is useless. We shoot six points or bigger we hold out for the big ones when we go to ohio. besides I've seen very few decent bucks make it from one year to the next in WV.

27-Sep-14
AR's had some effect in PA. Better habitat and a more balanced ratio was the real key to the increase in horns. And it's just getting over the ump. Watch that state over the next 15 years. It is going to boom P&Y'ers.

I'm going to kill the first legal deer whatever that might be. And from the looks of the lack of food in the Cranberry, I'm going to kill the second with a bow, no matter the sex or size. Cause I'm likely not going to get one thanksgiving week. No different from the last several years is what I expect the results to be. I tend to stick does with my longbow and sometimes don't kill any buck with any weapon.

Whatever you do, enjoy and God's Blessings to all

28-Sep-14
I am not going to limit myself to 1 buck when we are allowed more. Our DNR has done years of research and if thats what they allow so be it. I'm all for managing for bigger bucks, so why not go the antler restrictions route? It has helped here in Mason county with antler restriction in McClintic WMA. Don't want no argument, just an opinion.

28-Sep-14
I agree with you hookman - my brother-in-law's family has a large farm complex up in PA - plus they own part of the mountain - I believe its like 1100 or 1200 acres, They did not start seeing the nicer bucks until AR's were started - they grow acres and acres of corn and soybeans. They had friends come in and harvest does too. I have an uncle who hunts another farm in PA - same thing - did not see really nice bucks until AR's were established. So the habitat was there - they took does each year - I just think AR's are the way to go. Of course I think it is combination of all three that would see the biggest effect. I don't think limiting the buck harvest from 2 to 1 will make a big difference. JMO

28-Sep-14
So how many bucks can they kill in Pa? A reduction in the number of bucks killed whether it's letting them walk due to restrictions or just only kicking one buck is about the same thing. Don't worry neither will happen in WV as it will limit sales of tags. I kill game for meat

28-Sep-14
JR - PA for a long time was one deer(buck or doe) and your done. I am not for sure but I think maybe there is a doe tag you can get now but I am not for sure.

28-Sep-14
The major hang up I have for AR is young 8 pointers will be fair game but spikes and 4 pointers are off limits. This results in degrading the gene pool over time.....(I have no scientific data to back that up)

I agree with Babysaph that both methods limit buck kill. But I don't agree that it will never happen in WV. Reason: turn on Outdoor Channel. Big antlers are in and will remain in as long as US has a huntable deer population. WV will eventually follow suit.

28-Sep-14
Well there you go. No wonder they have bigger deer. One and done

28-Sep-14
It may be fashionable elsewhere bur WV would lose money. They won't let that happen

29-Sep-14
WV could adjust the cost of conservation stamps and doe tags to cover any possible "loss." Or just make people buy their buck tag.

29-Sep-14
They could do that but they won't. I am just a dumb ole boy but if I have 10 bucks and I kill 2 of them then I only have 8 left to grow. But if I kill 1 then I have 9 left. Can't argue with the math. For 1 and done or not. 1 buck in Pa and 3 in WV. You do the math.

29-Sep-14
And if I understand this correctly, Pa has a one buck limit and also that buck has to be a certain size. No wonder they are getting bigger bucks. Can you imagine doing that here in WV? Those good ole boys would have a fit. 1 deer and it has to be a certain size. LOL

29-Sep-14
JR they had one and done for years and it made no difference - their deer were smaller than what we have here! They did not start seeing large bucks until AR's were established....

29-Sep-14
Yea but that reduces the kill more.

03-Oct-14
I am fortunate to have access to some prime WV proverty that has limited hunters. We are doing deer management with quality food plots, killing does and only 1 buck that has to be 3.5 years +.

I know...it is hard to tell excactly on hoof. And a big 2.5 and a small 3.5 could look the same. So if it is a solid 3.5 it is fair game. You guys that have seen enough deer older deer know what I am talking about.

03-Oct-14
One and done does nothing to prevent killing the young bucks though - I believe AR does.

03-Oct-14
One and done prevents the killing of two more young bucks. How many WV hunters kill the first scrubhead for "meat" then hunt for horns? Usually, only to kill another scrub buck after they didn't see a decent buck in a couple of days.

A one buck limit would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

03-Oct-14
I really do not, nor will I ever understand why someone thinks shooting a small buck is cooler, better or to brag about. What is the fascination with shooting a buck?

03-Oct-14
Sundaywv - if it would be so HUGE - then why did it not work in Pa for all those years when they had one deer and your done? Again they did not start seeing bigger bucks until AR's were started.

CG - I like shooting does but I like to see headgear too. And I have no problem with shooting 2 bucks - I want both of them to be nice bucks. I don't want to have to spend a ton of money to go to another state to hunt. With one and done - there is nothing that prevents someone from shooting a small buck. Plus, how many of those good old boys (as JR says LOL) family members (who don't hunt) will start checking in a buck that they just happen to kill. Pa proved to me that one and done is not the miracle plan to have a huge buck behind every tree! And I have no problem with bringing the limit of 3 bucks down to 2 - but I think one and done is a total waste - when the WVBA worked so hard to get a 2 buck limit for us. There are a ton of things that could be done in WV to help with producing bigger bucks before going to a one and done program.

Do a one and done for non-residents - who use WV to fill their freezer.

Start some AR's

Shorten all the rifle seasons!

How many mid-west states are shotgun only for gun season?????

Those are just a few things off the top of my head....

Its always funny I have not got one person to ever answer why one and done never worked in Pa to produce bigger buck - it was there for years and the deer up there were smaller than deer here. They started AR's and now they are producing some really nice deer.

03-Oct-14
I live next to ohio so i work and live around people who hunt ohio. Their philosophy of hunting is so different because of one and done. Who in their right minds would shot a young buck in october and be DONE for next two and a half months?.....unless they considered that a deer worthy of the sacrifice. I cant answer about Pa....but i do see how if affects ohio hunters. Several of my friends spend $150 on out of state ohio license to go hunt one and done. Most of them eat tag soup. WV will never have the size deer as ohio (different sub species) BUT It would have a major impact in wv 3 years after implementation. I still love to hunt WV!

03-Oct-14
I agree with Sunday.,these Guys around here just have to get a buck. They wouldn't think of shooting a doe.

03-Oct-14

03-Oct-14
I believe Pa has one and done and antler restrictions. Not only can you only kill one buck but it has to be a certain size

03-Oct-14
You don't understand .,one and done will never be done for non residents.

03-Oct-14
Can't shorten the rifle seasons. Too much money will be lost.

03-Oct-14
And I don't know why we discuss this . We will never ever ever have a one buck limit.

03-Oct-14
We will never have shotgun only either.

03-Oct-14
One and done didn't work in Pa because they kill waaaay more deer than we do even when only shooting one deer.

03-Oct-14
I have killed a lot of deer in my life but have to go out of state to kill a nice one.

03-Oct-14
JR, you are allowed to put more than one sentence and thought in each post. LOL

04-Oct-14
Gobbler, that is good practice for JR.

04-Oct-14
JR - Gobbler and I sort of went over this last year. When you look at the percentages of each statistic WV and PA are pretty close. Yes they have more hunters but they have more deer and more land. When you look at percentages of hunters to deer, land and harvest - its pretty darn close or at least it was.

And yes they have one and done now along with AR's, but AR's were not put into place until like 10 years ago. For years they had just one deer and your done. It did not matter if the deer was a doe or buck - you kill one deer and you were done. My uncle and brother in law killed a lot of small deer up there during that period. I mean small size deer and bucks with pencil size in thickness racks and big enough to get 6 meals out of! Now they have become a little more liberal with harvesting does and they put the AR's in place.

Speaking of Ohio - having one and done but has it not been shotgun only gun season for years? How many bucks were not shot at because of the limitations of a shotgun??? How many bucks got wise from being shot at with a shotgun and were missed? Time will tell if it was the one & done that has helped produce those big bucks in Ohio or limitations with the weapons used. I hear they are allowing rifles to be used this year in Ohio. It will be interesting to see how this effects the deer of Ohio! I say those of you who hunt Ohio will be seeing less and less big bucks in Ohio in the future... JMO

04-Oct-14
Rifles in Ohio? I went thru their regulations and couldn't find anything about rifles being legal?

04-Oct-14
Straight wall casings like 44mag. 357mag 45-70 will be allowed. The rifled barrell slug guns shootimg sabots are deadly at 150 yds i have one and would feel confident out to 150. Many claim 200yds. That is less than a rifle but how many shots are past 100yds in wv? Most of the guys i know are not changing from rifled 12 gauge

04-Oct-14
One thing people seem to forget about this one and done theory is the lands Carrying Capacity. One and done is fine, but only if folks continue to harvest antlerless. Otherwise the capacity is exceeded and over browse. Smaller bodies and smaller antlers will occur.

04-Oct-14
You are right, you have to keep doe population under carrying capacity. With a 1 buck limit it should help increase doe kill so hunters can get deer meat in the freezer.

04-Oct-14
30 years ago it was taboo to shoot a doe, now days, I don't think I know of any of my friends or work colleagues who don't kill at least 1 doe, or more..

I gotta agree with Babysaph on everything,...

Simple math says one and done lets more bucks walk for next year...and with everyone putting out food plots and such, well, in 5 years you would see an amazing turn around..

But,

The state of WV is not interested in quality, just quantity,,,quantity of the mighty $$$$$$$.

They will never change....So have at it boys and girls, shoot your 2 spikes and 1 basket rack 6 point and declare how good of a hunter you are...Just be sure to look in the camera and say" Give me a minute folks"..........LOL

05-Oct-14
Big-Otis-Jeff,

How many guys do you know who shoot 3 bucks? I know none. I am sorry I like being able to have the chance to kill another buck instead of having to go to another state to do so. And I do not shoot spikes or really anything I consider a small buck - seems to me all of you guys thinking there are not nice bucks in WV need to look a little better. I see nothing wrong with a 2 buck limit.

All of you one and done guys - in the 4 bow only counties and the bigger bucks there - is it because its one and done or because of weapon limitation? Once again I will state PA had one and done for years and it did nothing - they implemented AR's and bigger bucks came about. All the mid-west states are they not shotgun only and have shorter gun seasons than WV?

You establish one and done in WV right now with the same weapons, length of rifle season and all you will get is loss of revenue to the DNR because nobody will buy the RB or RG stamps, a dip in the WV economy because a lot of WV hunters will go to other states to hunt for a second buck so they will spend money in diners and gas stations there, and then a bunch of guys who cannot afford to hunt another state will have their wives and children start tele-checking their deer in! There are a ton of other things that could be done to help grow bigger bucks here instead of decreasing hunting opportunity. The WVBA worked hard to get the extra bow tag I hate to see it thrown away by guys who have mythical visions of 160+ bucks behind every tree ...

05-Oct-14
Not following your logic JayD. Many WV hunters are all ready going to other states and spending their money there for a chance at bigger bucks. And no one is saying reduce the tags you can purchase. Just the number of bucks. So this would not take meat off anyone's table. It could just help all by having more people take antlerless deer instead of multiple young bucks.

05-Oct-14
I guess I'm one of the girls and boys mentioned above because I like the regulations as they are but felt compelled to take a stand for the other side of the discussion. I respect everyone's opinion.

05-Oct-14
CG - do you really think there wil be as many RB or RG tags sold if it is not for the opportunity at an additional buck??? If you do think there will be then I do not understand your logic.

And again I will ask you one and doners - is it because of one and done these other states have large bucks or because of AR's, shorter gun seasons, type of weapons allowed.

Now I am not saying one and done combined with some of the above mention things would not increase the number of bucks growing older but if you implement one and done right now and do not change to AR's, shotgun or bow only, shorten the gun season - then all you will do is decrease hunting opportunity and lose money for the dnr and the economy in WV. Again there is a bigger picture to look at.

I will ask one question: if the 4 bowhunting counties remained a 1 buck limit but they opened it up to rifles do you think you would still see the number of bigger bucks? I don't think you would see nearly the number of big bucks and then guys would stop going to hunt there and step by step things go down hill from there.

05-Oct-14
JayD, I Whole Heartedly Agree ! As you stated above, the WVBA worked Real Hard to get us another tag.

God Bless

05-Oct-14
I buy 2 RB's. Every year and rarely fill all three. We implement our own one and done on the farm we hunt and we are seeing older bucks and harvesting more does. It does work. What I do not understand is people's fascination with having to harvest multiple bucks, when there are way too many does in most places.

05-Oct-14
I'm for two and you're thru. Going from 3 bucks to one is a giant step methinks. Maybe try two first and see how that goes.A lot of guys are two season hunters and would like the opportunity to kill a buck with gun (muzzleloader)and bow. Jus sayn... ###=====>

05-Oct-14
A 1 buck limit with antler restrictions would work best. However I would hate to tell a kid or first time hunter they couldn't kill a 6 pt, if they had never killed a buck .

I don't think WV as a whole is ready to drop from 3 to 1.

I think( as has been shown by 2 previous sportsmen surveys by 75% and 85%) that we are ready for a 3-2 limit.

Get a director that will work WITH the legislature and reduce the NR limit to one, and increase the NR fee.

I know there are not a lot of hunters that take 3 bucks, but too many shoot the first one they see then "trophy" hunt. Trouble is, there's not that many trophies to go around and they end up shooting another small buck.

If bowhunters want to kill 2 bucks they can, if gun hunters or MZ hunters want to kill 2 they can, but they both should have to kill a doe either before or after the first buck . 2 or 3 weapon hunters can kill 1 in each season .

It won't work as good or as fast as a 1 buck with antler restrictions would, but give it 5 years and see if things improve. If they do and hunters see that it is, then they more be more accepting of a 1 buck limit.

It seems to me to be a reasonable compromise ?

05-Oct-14
CG,

I applaud you on your efforts - on your farm that is really is great.

I normally harvest a buck and a couple does a year too. I like to be able to hunt the whole season and I like hunting bucks - tell me why it is wrong for me to want to be able to harvest 2 bucks?

I think it is great to say you must kill a doe before harvesting a second buck. Heck - what is wrong with saying your second buck must have 4 points to at least one side - a little AR? What about the two season hunter - are you saying choose one weapon and stick to it?

I really do think you guys are dreaming if you think one and done in WV is going to amount to huge bucks everywhere.

We have a bowhunting season that is 1/4 of the year and 3/4 of the year its out. Isn't it nice to be to have more hunting opportunity.

All I am saying there are more ways to get bigger bucks than going to one and done.

On your farm - one and done may work but up at Sleepy Creek it won't matter! After one guy tags out there will be another to shoot the buck that the first guy would have shot with his second tag. If you go to just one and done in WV, you need to go with AR's and other game management tool too for it to work. I think that is why one and done did not work in PA all those years because there are so many hunters. Now they added AR's to the equation and better doe management and it is working. I saying lets try a few of the other tools of game management first before going to one and done and I bet we would see more improvement instead of just going with one and done.... JMO

05-Oct-14
I agree 2 is better than 3 and would be thrilled to see in 2015. WV, the state to hunt for quantity over quality.That should be motto on dnr website. Or: We strive to provide a quantity product everyday. Or: "Quanity since 1897"

05-Oct-14
First off. WV DNR gets most of their money for the initial license sale and WSFR funds. The extra tog fees are a small portion of there funds. Second, I and almost everyone I know buys the extra tags to put meat in the freezer, not small antlers in a bucket. And many WV hunters are spending there money to go out of state for a chance at a trophy. So if WV DNR would work to improve herd health by reducing young buck harvests and increasing doe harvest. Those folks may not need to spend their money elsewhere and could bring more outside money. What I do not understand is the fascination with people wanting to shoot bucks regardless of size and then complain. And when almost everywhere in this state we have too many antlerless deer and exceed the areas carrying capacity.

05-Oct-14
CG, that is what I've been saying on here for years. I think the mindset of having to shoot a spike instead of a doe is changing. I've been going to DNR Commission meetings for years pleading the case. We need more like minded people to go to the meetings to plead the case over and over. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

It took me several years to get the enhanced penalties for trophy deer. You just have to keep at it.

05-Oct-14
CG - you all are going to have to prove to me that a majority of the hunters kill a smaller second buck! I just don't believe it and I don't believe that there are a lot of hunters who kill 3 bucks each year! What do you have against all the other game management tools?

Again CG please explain to me that there would still be large bucks in the 4 bow only counties if they were to remain 1 buck only but open up to rifles????

05-Oct-14
It is not about shooting a second smaller one, it is about folks passing on does to harvest bucks, regardless of age or size. I am not against other management plans. No one change will make a big difference. Quality deer management is about balancing many variables, And I honestly am not a trophy hunter and have only hunted in WV for the last 15 years. And purchase my X and 2 RB's almost ever year. For me it is about the hunt, the friends and the meat in the freezer. I do like to see mature bucks, and am happy if I harvest one. I hunt every year at sleepy creek and I see and talk with folks up there regularly And they look down on folks who shoot A doe and they brag about shooting any buck, and they complain there are no mature bucks. Having the ability to take 3 bucks, they will continue to pass on does. And that is what is causing the problem. I would be fine if they even just went to one buck per weapon. WVDNR has been trying to make more opportunities to take does.

05-Oct-14
We just try and shoot 3 yr old bucks and older where we hunt that pretty much limits you to 1 or none. I let numerous bucks walk each year nothing like gobbler 110 to 120" are usually 3 yr olds here and I will shoot one last year I did get a shot at a giant 140 plus with double brows and stickers but didn't connect but it shows that letting young bucks walk helps I passed 34 different bucks season before last before shooting a 115" 9 pt that weighed 182 lbs dressed that wasn't any 2 yr old I can tell you that Good luck to all Be safe shoot what makes you happy and every deer you shoot is a trophy

05-Oct-14
We just try and shoot 3 yr old bucks and older where we hunt that pretty much limits you to 1 or none. I let numerous bucks walk each year nothing like gobbler 110 to 120" are usually 3 yr olds here and I will shoot one last year I did get a shot at a giant 140 plus with double brows and stickers but didn't connect but it shows that letting young bucks walk helps I passed 34 different bucks season before last before shooting a 115" 9 pt that weighed 182 lbs dressed that wasn't any 2 yr old I can tell you that Good luck to all Be safe shoot what makes you happy and every deer you shoot is a trophy

05-Oct-14
CG, no not everyone is going to other states to hunt big bucks, only the elite few that has the money. Most of our hunters can barely afford the license and additional tags. We all realize that it is trending to a rich man's game.

05-Oct-14
JayD...I know of several friends i hunt with that regularly kill 3 bucks , along with several guys i work with..and it runs about 50% on the above listed people of the ones who shoot does.....I group will kill 3 bucks and however many doe tags they can get, teh other, its 3 bucks only...

I also have just been asking around the butcher when i take one in, but rarely do i get anyone to fess up that they do..

I also ask around about what they think we should do...and the majority of them wnat to keep it the way it is or add bucks ..LOL

That tells me that alot more people kill their 3 buck quota, and that WV will never decrease the limit.

I mean, make it 4 bucks, really?

05-Oct-14

05-Oct-14
Only the elite that have the money? For roughly $250 I can buy my license and hunt Indiana for a week with the certainty of seeing a pope and young buck. Trust me, I'm more whitetrash than elite.

05-Oct-14
Gobbler, I post things as I think of em. Lol

05-Oct-14
Omg big Otis . It kills me when that coolly eyed thing says that.

05-Oct-14
I know guys in the mountain that will kill 3 spikes just to say they killed a buck

05-Oct-14
These are the rounded amounts per license or tag

hunting and trapping 519k 27,000 licenses fishing 1,501k 79,000 licenses antlerless 640k 64,000 licenses additional deer-gun 545k 26,000 licenses additional deer-bow 407k 19,000 licenses additional deer muzzle 51k 3,000 licenses sportsman package 3,031k 101,000 licenses jr. sportsman 85k 8,000 licenses bear damage 239k 24,000 licenses trout 946k 95,000 licenses conservation stamp 1059k 211,000 licenses

So I see that a $2.50 increase in a conservation stamp equals the additional deer gun stamps that we are sp worried about losing with a one buck limit. __________________

05-Oct-14
I think the majority of hunters want what we have now.

05-Oct-14
JayD, i would be for antler restrictions but i think that is too far of a putt for WV at this time:

Good article about Pa AR:

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/land-management/huntingtactics_naw_0907_10/

05-Oct-14
CG - I hunted Sleepy Creek for over 35 years and I live less than 5 miles away - I too know the mindset of the hunters and how heavily it gets hunted by out-of-staters. Again - you one and doners do not look at the big picture! One and done will not work in WV unless you add additional management tools - such as AR's, more liberal doe limits, shorter gun seasons, more areas for only weapons with limited range capabilities.

Again I wish that one of you would answer my questions: Why did one and done not work in Pa for all those years before they implemented AR's?( and don't say because they have more hunters than WV - because again when you look at the percentages it is pretty much the same) Then what do you think would happen if you keep the one and done in the 4 bow only counties but allow rifles to be used now??? One and done is not the answer because young bucks still get killed.

Sleepy Creek gets hunted heavily along with most of our WMA - That young buck that you say - all those nasty old gamehog hunters would have shot but could not be shot because of the 1 buck limit - will just get killed by another hunter eventually during the season. To prevent that you must add AR's, shorter gun seasons, or weapons with limited range - something else besides one and done - because of the number of hunters out there that the young buck will sooner or later walk by.

Heck with the one and done way of thinking then we should stop shooting does because you are preventing her from having the button buck the following year! It makes no sense.... One and done does nothing to assure that young bucks make it to the next season.

I say you place in more areas with AR's, more areas of shotgun or bow only, shorten the gun season to a week and establish some sanctuary areas within our public land areas and we all would see bigger bucks running and you would not be lessening any hunting opportunities.

I totally agree with several others - hunting is tending to be a sport for those with money! Never thought I would see the day where something that was fought so hard to get (the RB tag and chance at a second buck) would want to be given up by so many! I totally agree that we could harvest too many bucks and I think 3 probably pushes the limit but really there cannot be a two buck limit?

05-Oct-14
Oh it don't cost anything to get to Indiana or nothing food and lodging? I would like to do that.

05-Oct-14
JayD--I agree with the shorter seasons....

In a perfect world, gun season would be 1 week with a 1 week doe season....This shooting them with a rifle for 4-6 weeks with some kind of doe season or 2 week gun season, etc....

06-Oct-14
150 some for Indiana license. Stay with a friend. It costs me nothing but gas. Most WV residents that live near the Ohio border can hunt a big buck state for very little.

WHY ON EARTH ARE WE ASKING FOR SHORTER SEASONS? I want as many days afield as possible.We just recently got a longer archery season so Why regress?

06-Oct-14
Well here it he deal. All this discussion is useless. Either we have too many deer and the DNR wants them killed which is why we have the seasons or the DNR wants more money. Either way it won't change. We can't go back now. We might go to a 2 buck limit if the deer kill is down but that would be it and I don't see that happening. Why does WV, unlike some other states, make you buy you extra tags before you need them? Sounds like money to me.

06-Oct-14
We are so spoiled and whiney here. Some people don't want to drop from 3 to 2 bucks , or want to increase to 4 bucks.

How would you like to live in Colorado where all deer is on draw, even for residents. Which means a lot of people don't get a deer tag, much less a buck tag every year? Or Arizona, where residents may wait 5 or more years to get a decent buck tag?

Now, I'm NOT advocating a draw or anything like that but would it really be that much of a hardship to lower the buck limit to 2?

06-Oct-14
If the limit would ever become two, I would hope it would be one per season.

06-Oct-14
Here was my suggestion at the March DNR meetings. Allow one buck yearly season limit on your sportsman license. Offer an additional "earn a bonus buck", buck tag to be purchased at any time during the season to be used during your choice of archery, gun on ML season. for a total SEASON LIMIT of TWO bucks. This way if you want to kill two bucks with bow you could, or two bucks with rifle you could, or if you kill one with a bow, buy your bonus tag and go rifle hunting or ML hunting. This would lower the limit to two bucks while still the DNR would get revenue from the extra tag. Doe limits would be based on county by county needs. You could throw in AR's for the bonus buck if you want to. You think this would work?

06-Oct-14
I think it is a very reasonable choice IF in those counties that has an overpopulation of does, that a doe has to be harvested before a second buck in any season .

I'm those counties that are at or above carrying capacity there has to be a way to lower the doe component of the herd while taking some pressure off the buck component, otherwise it will never work. The deer will never reach their potential because of lack of high protein quality food.

06-Oct-14
I here ya gobbler. They are allowed one deer in Idaho where I hunt. Period. You pick the weapon. Buck or doe.

06-Oct-14
Come on gobbler. They get plenty of protein in Pendleton county. There is a feeder in every tree. LOL

06-Oct-14

CGBowhunter's embedded Photo
CGBowhunter's embedded Photo
JayD. I did answer your question regarding PA. The deer herd exceeded the lands Carrying Capacity. PA did sharp shooter hunts to reduce the population. Hunters were all irate. As after that they would only see 6-10 deer instead on 16-20. You should go read some of the historical post on their forum. That was at the same time as AR was implemented. As I said. One and done is not the single cure all. QDMA is a balance of many tools and options. I would be fine with two. Honestly I am fine with 3. We are self regulating our harvests. Taking more does, passing on younger bucks and this is what we are starting to see

06-Oct-14
Well said CGBowhunter. JayD, there are various AR restrictions all over this country that have failed to provide the results PA's has. So, you are very much correct about the insinuation that one and done is some form of improvement over what we currently have.

To those that are just unsatisfied and not knowing why: PA always had a one buck limit. Prior to the last ten or so years, you had to apply for doe tags but, you got one buck for sure with any weapon. The biggest influence in the bigger deer they now have is they drastically increased the doe harvest, and have a thriving timber industry. If you give deer a place to hide, you are not going to kill them very often

You can't do Indiana for $250 unless you can sprout wings and fly you and your gear there. Your gonna spend A $1000 by the time you get gas and pay to eat. If I'm wrong you need to go there every year since deer horns are so important. Once you start, be sure to keep us posted on the numbers of 150 inch deer you kill.

One and done will do little for our deer horns unless we shoot lots of does and put people back to work. Poaching is our problem, not hunting pressure. We have the greatest public hunting in this country. Our license cost is relatively cheap, we have lots of game, and we get to do it every year. Unlike lots of people all over this country that must draw tags that cost a dang car payment. Is that what you want or think is good for the health of hunting or the deer herd?

If we do this, our cost are going to triple. Leasing will reign, at exponential rates. And the poachers are still going to poach them. The thing is, there ARE more big deer here than most of you realize. I wander where all those 115 to 120 inch deer go once they get passed? Are you suggesting they are all getting killed?

1 and done is not the sole answer to the problems you say we have. And present a much different set of problems for the future of hunting than the small bucks you all complain about.

God Bless

06-Oct-14

sundaynwv's embedded Photo
New Albany, Indiana is 312 miles from Mount Lookout or under a tank of gas. $45 x2 equals $90. $150 license plus $90= $240. Granted, I don't have to buy anything when I am there and lodging is free.

Kentucky and Ohio are much closer with similar license cost.

06-Oct-14
I can't understand why you guys that have hunted and killed plenty of bucks just have to kill a buck. What is wrong with a doe? All you do is lop the horns off and throw em in your garage. But you get to tell your buddies you killed 2 or 3 bucks.

06-Oct-14

06-Oct-14

06-Oct-14

Not a great pic but you get the idea. Not 150's but good enough for DIY and a $150 license. One buck limits do work. Indiana is the promise land. I see pope and young deer every year and every week. Youth hunters in Indiana typically pass on deer many adults in WV would kill.

Indiana was a one buck per each weapon but saw a great surge when they went to one buck regardless of weapon. Same with Kentucky.

06-Oct-14
Nice bucks but correct me if i'm wrong I don't see any 150 bucks among those 3 and we have bucks in that class. Do you hunt public land in Indiana or private?

06-Oct-14
JR, I don't have to kill bucks. If I did, I'd surely hunt somewhere besides the Cranberry with my rifle. It isn't the size of the horns that is important. It is the ability to even go on the hunting trip or hunting where ever you decide, that is. Prove what you guys are claiming. That, aside from young hunters, who is killing 2 or 3 bucks consistently? I don't anyone who does, and I know and meet a lot of people/hunters.

Great deer sunday. Nice 8 points for sure. When you get to the 150 mark consistently, that most claim is the benchmark for being a big buck state, I'll say I'm wrong. Until then, I'll say those deer look like some I have killed right here. Some I say because I have killed larger right here in miserable WV. Not bragging or comparing, just making my point. They really are great trophies man so understand why I said what I just said. No one doubts it will help to a degree. We just seriously doubt it is the correct action for several reasons.

Kentucky hunting is going to be just like Southern WV. At least in the areas you can hunt without paying to do it. So why go? Ohio has some great public land hunting. But, just like here, you gotta go where they are. If you got a car that will do 600 plus miles on 90 bucks, (25 gallons), your way ahead of mine. Not everyone knows someone in Indiana to stay with or hunt with. Kudos to you for doing so but, once again, we seem to be talking apples and oranges. You suggest changing the regs for the masses while only considering your interest's for doing so. What suits you doesn't fit everyone

I'm a multiple weapons hunter and do most of my rifle hunting in an area that wont support a doe harvest with rifles. Am I supposed to give that up a tradition with my family and friends to pacify the horn hunters who live or hunt in areas that it would? Biologically, what are the pluses of doing it? We can't assume more does, to the amount needed, will be killed by enough hunters to matter. According to most posting here, everyone they know shoots three small bucks a year with few if any does. So, why would/should we do it?

Just saying what I feel and pointing out what is obvious to me. No disrespect meant in any of it. Once again, great trophies. Congratulations. You obviously earned them and are a successful hunter no matter where you hunt. God Bless

06-Oct-14

This has turned into a very good debate. Everyone has pretty much been polite - we just don't quite agree on some things. I will respond to a few things in detail tomorrow - been a long day and going to hit the sack.

Just two things:

SundaynWV - if you look at most of your states that produce larger bucks there gun season is much shorter then what WV has. You are sort of taking one of my arguments there - why do you want to take away hunting opportunities by saying I cannot kill 2 bucks? And I think the shoot a doe before a second buck is great and have know problem with it. Heck I have done it way before it became a regulation.

JR - why do some of us season hunters want to kill more than one buck you ask - why do you go out west to kill a trophy buck? Why do you kill a spike buck? Why do you not limit yourself to just does? Of course I will go back to a point I was trying to make yesterday - why shoot a doe who may be carrying one of next year button bucks????

Again one a done is not going to work well here in WV unless you implement a lot more game management tools and want to pay a lot more money. There are other ways to achieve bigger bucks other than one and done. I have listed some....

And you could have kept one and done in PA and shot all the does you want - but without AR's allowing little bucks the chance to get bigger than the other two would have failed. Best alternative is balance the herd and let grow by implementing AR's.

06-Oct-14

This has turned into a very good debate. Everyone has pretty much been polite - we just don't quite agree on some things. I will respond to a few things in detail tomorrow - been a long day and going to hit the sack.

Just two things:

SundaynWV - if you look at most of your states that produce larger bucks there gun season is much shorter then what WV has. You are sort of taking one of my arguments there - why do you want to take away hunting opportunities by saying I cannot kill 2 bucks? And I think the shoot a doe before a second buck is great and have know problem with it. Heck I have done it way before it became a regulation.

JR - why do some of us season hunters want to kill more than one buck you ask - why do you go out west to kill a trophy buck? Why do you kill a spike buck? Why do you not limit yourself to just does? Of course I will go back to a point I was trying to make yesterday - why shoot a doe who may be carrying one of next year button bucks????

Again one a done is not going to work well here in WV unless you implement a lot more game management tools and want to pay a lot more money. There are other ways to achieve bigger bucks other than one and done. I have listed some....

And you could have kept one and done in PA and shot all the does you want - but without AR's allowing little bucks the chance to get bigger than the other two would have failed. Best alternative is balance the herd and let grow by implementing AR's.

07-Oct-14
Indiana has a three week gun season during the rut.I didn't say anything about 150's but trust me just because I have not killed them does not mean they are not in Indiana. Don't use my bucks to judge the state. I have hunted indiana 5 years and scored four bucks, so this is more of a representation of what can happen yearly. The year I didn't score it was 75-80 degrees the entire week during the rut.

I know many people that kill 2-3 scrub bucks a year in WV.

07-Oct-14
If it is not the size of the horns then why not just shoot a doe? Why kill 2 or 3 little bucks. And the pics of Sunday's deer are nice deer. I think we all agree on that. They don't have to be 150 deer. While there may be some around our state killing one is a whole different game. Even in the bowhunting only counties. Heck I bet most people couldn't even get on a piece of ground down there to hunt them. Those bucks Sunday showed are few and far between in Pendleton county where I hunt. But in Idaho, and Montana where I hunt it was not unusual to see 10 or so of those every day.

07-Oct-14
I know a bunch of guys that kill 3 bucks a year. Not hard to do at all. I could do it if I wanted with my recurve. Now whether they are nice bucks that is a different story. Heck I know guys that kill 2 with their bow and could kill more with their rifle. Not really hard to do.

07-Oct-14
You know I would rather kill nice bucks than does and small bucks. that is why I go out west. I simply do not think we can keep killing all these bucks and get bigger bucks. Lets face it the DNR just wants dead deer so shortening the seasons won;t happen. I guess your comment says it all. Guys just want to choice to kill what they want. I can't argue with that which is why most in this state will never go for any kind of reduction. I don't have a come back for your logic.

07-Oct-14
If someone wants to shoot a spike or 3 point, then fine let them do it. But why let them do it 3 times?

By letting them do it 3 times it affects those of us who would rather shoot a bigger buck. I'm not even talking 150, I'm talking 130-140.

I know they have their rights , but what about the rights of those that want more mature deer?

07-Oct-14
You are wasting your breath.

07-Oct-14
I'm full of hot air anyway. LOL

07-Oct-14
I'm not talking about 150's. I'm talking about a more balanced herd where many of your bucks are 12 inches or better wide and six or plus points with the BIG bucks thrown in there. I just don't think the majority of our deer should be 6 pointers or less.

07-Oct-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

07-Oct-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
This is a friend that I met while hunting in Iowa last year. She killed this buck a couple days ago. They can kill 1 buck with bow and 1 with gun. If they own land or manage land they can kill three.

The difference is the majority of them wouldn't even think of picking up their bow for a small buck. She has killed several good bucks but routinely passes up 130 bucks.

The answer is so simple, but so hard to do . Just don't shoot a buck because it's a buck . Give it time to mature.

It's sad to say but I don't think the majority of hunters of WV have the will power to do it themselves. To have quality hunting the DNR will have to restrict buck hunting somehow. By numbers, size, or both.

07-Oct-14
Now, I'm not saying we will ever be an Iowa. There's just too many differences. But I think we could easily have 120-140 bucks.

WV mountaineer , I don't know where you go but your the only person I have ever heard from that routinely see big bucks outside of the archery only counties. I'm 57 and have seen less than a handful of 130 bucks outside of the bow counties

07-Oct-14
Once we get larger bucks showing up, more and more hunters will pass up the scrubs because they feel it is a realistic possibility to hold out and kill a larger buck. People don't kill scrubs in Iowa because they know what is out there.

People in WV kill a six point because that is all they have seen their entire life of hunting.

I can think of roughly 2 deer I have seen while hunting in WV that would go over 125. I've lost count in Indiana and Ohio.

07-Oct-14
Same here. I have seen 2 in WV over 125.

07-Oct-14
I agree with gobbler. Most Wv hunters are not willing to pass on a buck and say they shot a Doe. We only have access to 100 acres. We spoke to others around us and are all trying to balance the ratio, improve the habitat and enjoy our time afield. But we are seeing some solid 125 to 140 as a result.

07-Oct-14
JayD, AR's statewide are not the answer. In areas that get heavy pressure, it sure will make a difference. In other areas, it won't equal a hill of beans. Because legal hunting isn't pressuring the deer herd heavily enough to skew maturity levels due to 1.5 year old deer being 70 percent of the harvest. A limited buck kill is the answer here. Protect even more of what you have is the best key to use in any situation. And it varies from area to area in this state as to which is the correct tool.

Sunday, the 150 came from Gobbler last time we had this debate. And Indiana has a great deer herd for sure. You got some great deer there so be proud of them.

I would go to 2 buck limit without much argument if it would stop there but, it will not stop there. Because the problem's causing a lot of you guys to see a lack of these deer won't be fixed by a two buck limit statewide either. So, you'll just want more.

We could go on and on. Your minds are made up. So is mine until shown it is the wrong way of thinking. God Bless you all and good hunting.

07-Oct-14
There are more great bucks in WV than people think, just look at the trail cam pictures. Most of them are in the dark, for a number of reasons. Big bucks tend to go nocturnal and there are so many does they don't have to compete with each other. Less traveling around in the daylight keeps them a secret.

07-Oct-14
Then give a 2 buck limit a 5 year trial. If there is no change then we will have data to show there is no change rather than just opinions. If there is a change then go from there according to what people want.

07-Oct-14
Imma just start hunting at night.

08-Oct-14
If you want to kill less bucks start hunting with recurve or longbow and put down the guns and wheelies. I would like to know how many bucks you guys that's pushing one and done only kill 1 buck? Come on guys, fess up.

08-Oct-14
Babysaph is gonna have a spike fest in the dark...LOL

08-Oct-14
I kid babysaph.....I hunted in Pendleton CO last week...Saw 2 buck...spike and a 1 horned spike....

08-Oct-14
Year before last I killed 1 WV buck. Last year I killed 1 buck in Iowa and 0 in WV.

We blame the DNR for offering 3 buck tags. I agree, part of it is their fault, but we don't have to buy or use them.

Everytime I go into Rite-aid I pass by the cigarette and liquor aisle. But just because they are there for sale dosen't mean I have to buy and use them.

09-Oct-14
One buck last year. Probably 4 or more does total between bow and gun.

09-Oct-14
We all can sit here and type out that every other hunter we know kills 3 bucks or like me and say I know of no one who has killed 3. I know a few guys who have killed 2 - me included. Several years ago I got two 10 pts. But you all will not convince me that the majority of hunters are killing three bucks It ain't happening - I will go on to say that the number of hunters that kill three bucks is in the low single digit percentages! I am sure it is done and I am sure there are people out there who would kill 3 spikes - why I have no clue, but there are some of us who will kill a nice buck and want the chance to kill another nice buck with our choice of weapon - instead of having to dish out a ton more of our hard earned money to go to another state. And I would hope that it would not be an issue with anyone that you would have to shoot a doe first b4 killing your second buck.

WVmountaineer you may be right about AR's statewide and some areas not getting enough pressure but making it statewide would make it easier to enforce and easier for hunters to know about it instead of trying to figure out which areas are and which are not. And I agree that AR's are not the only answer but I do believe it is the best choice out of all others There is nothing to say that 1 and done will allow our bucks to mature - it is even possible that 1 and done will not even reduce the buck kill - it all depends on the number of hunters and how lucky they are!

We have too many hunters in this state to make one and done be possible to work. And some of you say "no that isn't so"! Let me explain why I think this - Just because one hunter shoots a young buck and then is out of commission and should not shoot another - on most of our WMA here in the eastern part of WV - there are so many hunters that the next young buck that the hunter who is now out of contention to shoot - well there is another hunter just down the ridge who will now shoot that young buck - that young buck has not learned enough to basically not get shot. One of the reasons I prefer AR's over 1 and done.

Speaking of shooting young deer - I hate the early doe seasons and to be honest with you I hate the early bow season. I would have preferred if we were going to lengthen the bow season to do it at the end of the season. I have only hunted one day so far this bow season - the first day and could have shot a 6 or 7 different does but each one had fawns still with spots! I don't know - can we not let momma stay with the fawns thru till the end of Thanksgiving Week? Plus I hate hunting in the heat. Let momma deer do a little teaching to the fawns that first week of rifle season - then go at them the second week.

I do like the idea of being able to shoot two deer in one day now. I think it would allow the state to get the over-populated areas back to a better carrying capacity. Those of us who do shoot does - then could buy an extra doe or two and use them in one if we only have one day to hunt during that season.

JR we are not wasting our breath here - I have heard several people state on here that there are DNR people who check this site out so you never know an idea might be heard and received at some point - and from my take on most on here I don't think there are any who shoot 3 spikes each season. Just those of us who like the chance at 2nd buck with our choice of weapon.

09-Oct-14
Each of us have our own experiences while hunting different parts of the state. I wont tell you that in your experience everybody shoots three bucks.....but likewise dont tell me in my world it doesnt happen often. Just pointing out that all of us have competely different circumstances that leads us to our bias. Its soooo very clear to me that three bucks is too liberal of a limit and one and done would have a major impact to overall health of herd and more mature bucks.

As a kid my father and i backpacked 5 miles into cranberry wilderness and would rarely see a deer hunting a whole week. That scenario leads one to think totally different than where i live and hunt today in mid ohio valley.

09-Oct-14
I don't know if you forgot or not Gobbler but you killed 2 bucks in 2012, 1 in Mingo and 1 in Monroe. At least thats what in shows in the picture section.

09-Oct-14
Think 3 buck limit is bad now? Wait till telecheck goes into effect. They can check them all in as does and keep killing bucks. As everything else only us honest hunters will abide my the laws and the crooks will reap the benefits. It's always been that way and always will.

09-Oct-14
You're right. My apologies. I got my years messed up. Thanks for watching, and keep doing it. It'll probably get worse the older I get. LOL

But that's not really the point. It's OK to do something legal, but wish it were different. Back when the national speed limit was 55, I drove 55 but wished it were higher.

Plus this is getting to the point that I was making that it will have to be the state to make the change. Even if 10% of the hunters by self control only kill 1 buck, you still have the other 90 % not doing it and statistically it really dosen't matter. You may have a farm or small region that's big enough it might help but statewide it dosen't make a difference.

09-Oct-14
Geesh, I thought there would just be a lot of yes and no's on this thread. Guess I should have designated it as "debate free" - LOL. I'll fess up and say I haven't and won't take time to read all of the responses.

I've also never killed more than 1 buck a year but can't really say it is because I wouldn't if I had the opportunity. I was just curious who might be placing personal limits on themselves.

09-Oct-14
It isn't about our wants nearly as much as it is about our responsibilities. This is our choices. Make laws to drive the cost of hunting up, limit opportunity, and with no perceivable definite biological incentive. Or make good biological decisions to continue the trend of a thriving, healthy deer herd, for all who wish to enjoy. At an affordable price? I think the right choice is obvious. Only a few that moan about having to drive a bit get it confused.

You proved my point with that 5 year trial. 5 years isn't long enough to get viable, dependable results, statewide. And when it doesn't, you'll just scream one and done. God Bless

09-Oct-14
That's ok, debate sharpens the sword and we are amongst friends so no harm done.

09-Oct-14
I'm going to call you out on that one. You are just making up what I would do or feel at the end of a 5 year or any other time period.

1. If you remember I said a one buck limit would be best, but I thought a 2 was reasonable.

2. I put out 5 years because I have been told and have read multiple times that 5 years is the minimum amount of time that would be required to obtain any useful data. If you want to make it 10 then that is fine.

My main objection is that you are putting words in my mouth as to what my opinion would be after obtaining that data.

09-Oct-14
JayD. You should take some time to look at the science behind harvesting Does before the rut. There is quite a bit of research that shows the positive impacts of lowering doe density before breeding. By mid Oct. Most doe are weaning their young. Also if a Doe is harvested early, it is proven that if they have a buck fawn, it is less likely to travel farther away. Meaning it is more likely to make its home range where it is.

09-Oct-14
ummmm not for buck fawn remaining in its birth home range is a good thing.

09-Oct-14
It's fine, statistically it's not going to make a difference regarding inbreeding or anything.

I know as bowhunters we don't like the early rifle season but it has pretty much been proven it's better for the herd. Taking a doe in Oct. Rather than Dec. leaves 2 months more food in the woods for other deer. Plus less does during the rut leads to bucks having to travel more to find does making th more huntable.

09-Oct-14
Big Otis. See? That is all that is in Pendleton county. I passed on two spikes tonight

09-Oct-14
JayD when I said we are washing our breath I meant that those of us that want a buck reduction. That won't happen

09-Oct-14
LOL - just read several articles on the early doe season and saw the pluses and the negatives. This seems to me like it could be another shoot every spike you see theory.

I can see the point of shooting does early will improve rutting behavior and make it easier on the herd. I can also see shooting does earlier will promote better habitat and in theory make winter survival rate better.

Also read that shooting does earlier will promote more competition between bucks causing fight injuries and higher mortatily rates of buck or injuries. LOL Confusing isn't it?

I think the earlier season will promote higher turn out of hunters could be bogus with a lot of hunters. I really don't know of many guys who have been hunting because of the high temps here lately. And I know several guys who shot does there several years ago during the early bow and muzzleloading seasons - who said they would never hunt for does early again because of not only the heat but they had fawns running around bawling because momma was shot. One guy said he even had a fawn come in and try to nurse the dead mom!

Gobbler I saw several bioligist say buck fawns staying in home range was not bad but another said it was not good. I sort of think this way of thinking is still in a very early stage and only time will tell. I won't put anyone down for hunting early or shooting does with fawns - for me I will wait until later in the fall to shoot a doe with fawn. May shoot one without fawns here early if I get the chance at one.

I think I would like to see WV or any state do some research - maybe do a couple of different deer management plans in several regions and see what produces the best results instead of going by on just theory. Not cutting the DNR down here - just saying try several different plans and get the research in.

10-Oct-14
The early doe season is a good idea. It "might" cause more fighting and injury because you are seeing a stronger rut. Go to Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana and see how strong the rut is. Most bucks will be broken up late in the season. I've killed bucks with gouge wounds and broken antlers. It's different when you have to search and possibly fight for a mate.

Less does would help most of WV. We had a late doe season. It didn't work. Biologist made changes and we ahve an earlier one. I applaud them.

10-Oct-14
Sundaywv - I am not really disagreeing with ya on the early season but I will take the wait and see approach. I want to see over several years which season the majority of antlerless deer will be harvested here in WV. I am telling you - I guess I run around with a different crowd but I know of no one who likes the early season. 2 main reasons were warmer temps and shooting does with young fawns. I know some research may say it is ok for the fawns to be on their own but that will take years to convince quite a few hunters.

And I would not be so quick to say the late season did not work - maybe it was how it was implemented in the whole scheme of things....

Gobbler I know you will know this and I guess I am just to lazy to look it up - when were the majority of does harvested in WV last year?

JR - I really don't think you are wasting your breath - I think you will see a 2 buck limit here in WV. I also think we will see crossbows allowed to be used during bow season soon. I just wish that we could get a crossbow season and not included it with bowseason. JMO

10-Oct-14
I hunt early. I hunt everyday I can. Never know what will walk by. I don't shooy does with fawns either. Heck I don't do that in Nov and Dec. I will shoot a spike though. Lol although I passed up two yesterday.

10-Oct-14
The majority were killed during buck season and the later 3 day doe season to the best of my recollection.

But anytime they have a new season or change seasons it takes hunters a year or two to adjust. We'll know in the next couple of years which one they prefer.

10-Oct-14
Not to mention, the two deer a day allowance should really help on doe kills in the near future.

10-Oct-14
Your right, I don't know what your going to do for certainty. I'm just speculating based on your threads. I meant no harm or offense and apologize to you if it did either of those.

5 years wasn't long enough in PA to see major changes. I read a poll somewhere along that time that a vast majority of PA hunters were dismally supportive of their changes by then. By year ten, it was the majority that was supportive of the changes. Just speculating about it here but, see no reason it would be different, given the variables that are causing it here are a lot of the same, in the heavily hunted areas of that state.

Once again, I apologize if I offended you. Speculation is being thrown around by everyone here. Including you. So, I saw no harm in doing the same to you. God Bless

11-Oct-14
Speculation and opinion is fine , that's what the thread is about, but based on current knowledge and conditions . I don't know what my opinion will be based on data, experience, new knowledge in 5 years, therefore no one else can. Thereay be new research that comes out that changes all of our minds about deer management.

No problem, I don't mind being questioned in the here and now, just not 5 years in the future! LOL we're good!

13-Oct-14
I know it's hard to get West Virginians to change, but since we now have Gay marriage maybe there is hope for a 2 buck limit.

13-Oct-14
Let me throw this out there...

In an ideal area, the buck to doe ratio should be 1:1 or ever 2 does:1 buck....Now i think we could all agree that is not the case here in WV.....At best mayb 4-5 does per buck...

Now you can legally kill 3 bucks and some parts 3 does....That makes no sense, you want to shoot 2-3 does per buck to improve the herd?

1 buck and done would help that out...1 buck, then shoot your limits on does....bigger, healthier herd, not mention bigger buck...

13-Oct-14
But guys don't want a healthy herd. The just want to kill bucks

13-Oct-14
Since one and done is the answer to everything (bigger bucks, healthier herd, the cure for Ebola) for some of you guys - lets keep those four bow hunting counties as one and done but allow rifles to be used in them - because one and done is the answer - so it should not matter if we open it up to all legal weapons for WV.

13-Oct-14

13-Oct-14
Yeah , that's a great idea Jay D,that ranks right up there with market hunting, no closed season on game, and hunting buffalo to near extinction. You should try and get the job of DNR director.

14-Oct-14
i would say that the doe to buck ratio down there is in check....or very close to it..

I just dont see it...I know when i was a younger hunter, i would always kill my limit of young bucks and i thought that was something.....But to do it now in my 40's, i just dont get it...

Now if you are killing 3 big, mature bucks.....You the man...

BUt i still say 1 and done will work, to me its just simple math....more buck living another year only get bigger

14-Oct-14
One and done will work. As much as I want one and done, I would be ok with APR's in West Virginia and keep the 3 or 2 buck limit. Make it six points or better. That way nobody is killing their spike at 7:30 on opening day to kill a four-point on Thanksgiving Day. All of which go in a box in the corner of the shed to never be seen again.

Yes, to kids a buck is a buck. However, when a child goes fishing and catches his first little 3 inch sunfish, do you put it on a stringer because its his first fish or do you explain that their are larger fish out their for harvesting?

14-Oct-14
That is a whole different ball game. We all know that the deer would be killed off with rifles as that would be increasing the kill not decreasing it. In the other counties one and done would be decreasing the buck kill.

14-Oct-14
Good point Sunday. When I was a kid it was a feat for even the adults to kill a deer. My dad or his family would never ever shoot a doe. My dad said "you are killing 3 deer boy". while that was old school there just were not as many deer in the 60's and 70's. One and done would let lil Johnnie kill his deer. (if he can stop texting and playing game boy long enough). LOL. Lets go to two deer and one has to be 6 or better. I guess then we will hear " I thought he had 6"

14-Oct-14
However, essentially with keeping a three buck limit and making apr's of six points or better you are almost the same as going to a one buck limit because very few will kill two deer a year. It's probably better than a one buck limit because it protects EVERy single spike and such.

14-Oct-14
another good point. Two deer and antler restrictions. Oh wait. Lil johnny wants to shoot a spike. LOL

14-Oct-14
LOL you guys are too funny - now Gobbler you know me well enough on here - do you really think I want to open those 4 counties to all weapons??? The reason you see big bucks there is more because it is bow only - than because it is one done. And JR you say too many bucks would be killed if that would happen - I totally agree! You all are now proving my point that one and done will not work here in WV if you keep all other parts of the equation the same. We have too many hunters so too many bucks would still get harvested, young, old, middle aged - no buck will be safe!

One and done did not work in PA - again PA producing bigger bucks now is because of better population management and the dreaded AR's!

I know this will get a few of you stirred up but as to AR's - why not say 15 years old and younger can harvest a younger buck - if we are so concerned about them getting a buck and all over 15 have to shoot a more mature buck (however the requirement would be)?

LOL gobbler you better be glad I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve or I might have gotten irritated over your comment! ROFL I still think it would be a blast to sit around a campfire with ya, buddy!

I have seen what one and done does when you do not implement the other policies that are need to go along with it. So you guys will not convince me that implementing one and done will work in WV without putting in other policies that will protect young bucks from being shot - it just won't work guys - you all need to read more than just the first couple of chapters in the wildlife management books. LOL

14-Oct-14
It's all about the horns to you guys. No AR's. It isn't an age structure problem in our harvest in most areas. Do you guys look at the dnr surveys or just wing by the seat of your pants

FYI, if the herd was so balanced down there in the 4 county area, you guys would be killing more big bucks. But, unless you don't post them here, your not. Either that or the big bucks are eluding you there. You choose. I personally believe it is a combination of both but, I'm just one of those guys. :^)

In 2012, gun hunters shot more bucks than does in WV. However, it must be noted that the deficiency in doe harvest came from districts that did not have doe days. Meaning, the areas does could be shot, they were shot in Equal numbers. Cited here.

"http://www.deerharvestresults.com/wvirginia.htm"

Archery and muzzleloader harvests are not broken down by sex. So we are just guessing. So we will leave it out. What's the correct statewide management tool to implement based on these numbers? BTW, it was the latest info available.

God Bless

14-Oct-14
Just because its balanced down there, they are still mature deer and hard to kill.....I work with guys outta the bow only counties as well as the southern OH area and you would be shocked at the big deer these guys kill....and never post them on here, Facebook, or anywhere...

Why? because they dont want the attention draw to their specific area....

14-Oct-14
Its all about antlers, not horns, for me.

Big antlers are the symptom of a healthier deer herd.

Equal numbers of buck/doe kill doesnt fix the lopsided ratio. It will eventually, but in districts 1 and 6 there should be more does killed than bucks.....like 40-60% more. That is according to our very own DNR:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/FundDeerMan.shtm

14-Oct-14
Trust me, I spend a lot of time there and all over southern WV. I'm more than aware of the fact that MANY big deer come from there and the general regulation county's, that never get identified on public forums, scored, or taken to the taxidermists for the same reasons.

I see no evidence in my observation that suggest the herd is anywhere near balanced or better than surrounding county's. Of course, mileage will vary. But, when in the woods cruising, or driving to and fro, I see about 10 does to every little buck. I rarely see a big buck down there until mid November on. Honestly, I wasn't looking to get into that. I was just wandering how you make the statement the herd is balanced based on the pics you have posted.

My point is all but the truly dedicated aren't going to kill them regularly anywhere, even in the largest, longest running big buck management area in the lower 48. They are proven to be WILEY no matter where they live. God Bless

14-Oct-14
But if one and done would result in too many deer being killed because we have too many hunters then what about the three we are allowd to kill now?!

14-Oct-14
Wow so more bucks are killed than does inn our state ? Didn't kniw that.,seems like our herd is pretty balanced then

15-Oct-14
My head hurts....

15-Oct-14
Mine too. We discuss something that wont change. It is pointless really.

15-Oct-14
I think we will see a change -I don't think it will be a big change but I can see the limit being reduced to 2 bucks at some point. I don't think it will be in 2015 though. And I don't think we will see AR's - well not statewide at least - maybe a few WMA's will have it implemented and I think before long we will see crossbows included into bow season no matter how much some of us dislike it.

For me I would love to see:

1- 2 and thru for residents and one and done for NR 2- AR's for at the very least the 2nd buck 3- a doe b4 second buck 4- and b4 it gets lumped in with bow season - a crossbow season for a week or two just like with the muzzleloader.

wish list would be for a few more bow only counties or at least some trophy zones put in places through out the whole state - so we all would not have to head to one of the 4 only counties. As you can tell I am a home-body! LOL

15-Oct-14
I predict we will not see a decrease in buck limits for a while. We will see crossbows in bow season. Too much money involved. Heck I bet they will make them have a tag to use them as well.

15-Oct-14
I don't think we will see a reduction in the NR buck kill. It will mirrow whatever our resident limit is. JayD. If we reduced the buck kill you would have more trophy deer around. The problem is that everyone's view of a trophy deer is different. Some think a basket rack 6 or 8 is ok. I like 140 or better. And yes you need to get away from home more to hunt. LOL. You would be amazed at the bucks in some of the other states in the west and midwest.

15-Oct-14
I don't think we will see a reduction in the NR buck kill. It will mirrow whatever our resident limit is. JayD. If we reduced the buck kill you would have more trophy deer around. The problem is that everyone's view of a trophy deer is different. Some think a basket rack 6 or 8 is ok. I like 140 or better. And yes you need to get away from home more to hunt. LOL. You would be amazed at the bucks in some of the other states in the west and midwest.

15-Oct-14
IF they ever do make a crossbow season they should absolutely make them have a tag to use them. It's another weapon and they shouldn't get to ride the shirt tails of archery/bowhunters.

But this thread was about who would limit themselves to one and done...so I don't want to get off topic

15-Oct-14
Crossbows will be here within 3 years.....You can see it coming

15-Oct-14
WVM&M, it will fix very quickly. I read this in a QDMA article. I'll condense it for simplicity. We all know buck to doe birth rates are basically 50/50. Let's say we have a 1.5 fawns birth rate/doe

If you have 100 does

10 bucks

Your ratio is 10:1.

Hunting season comes. You kill 55 does and 8 bucks. By the fawn dropping time you lost and additional 5 does and 1 buck. You are left with:

40 does

1 buck

You birth 60 fawns at a 1:1 sex ratio (30 does, 30 bucks)

You now have:

70 does

31 bucks

2:1 for practical purposes.

A much better ratio and it only takes a few seasons of dutiful doe harvests, to get it back in line really well.

The answer to our problems are good habitat and adequate doe harvests. Those are personal decisions. How do you regulate that?

God Bless

15-Oct-14
So if they use the crossbow in our bow season then it will be considered a bow. I don't have to have a tag with my recurve. Nor does a compound user. I don't think I need a stamp for a muzzleloaders either. My point is the DNR will use the crossbow as a way to get more money. Make them buy a tag and have a season for it. But they want in the bow season. If the DNR allows that then they shouldn't have to have a stamp

15-Oct-14
What is the cost of the Muzzleloader tag?

15-Oct-14
WVM&M, you got me! I just caught the irony in my statement, "It's all about the horns to you guys.". I just said on another thread I was bad for calling them horns instead of antlers. And here I go, two or three days later doing exactly that. Habits are hard to break. God Bless

15-Oct-14
WVmountaineer: I follow your math/logic and totally agree with example.

How do you regulate personal decisions? Good question. To kill 7:1 doe to buck ratio takes time and effort and most people are not wildlife managers.....they just want to go out and shoot a buck.

How do you regulate the personal decision to wear a seatbelt? How do you regulate personal decision to not text while driving? You can have ad campaigns stating the reason why you should wear a seatbelt or not text while driving, but nothing is more effective than law: click it or ticket.

I am in no way comparing someone killing three bucks to texting while driving. Im just making the point that if the dnr is wanting to change the doe to buck ratio then they need to change the regulations. They increased the doe limit for some time now....they now need to lower the buck limit.

15-Oct-14
Lol. Yeah all in good fun. I like to call them horns too

15-Oct-14
Ok - who can tell me how many bucks will be saved by reducing the buck limit? How many WV hunters kill more than one buck? Then who can say that those second or third bucks killed by one of the multiple buck killing hunters won't be killed by another hunter who has not tagged out???

Ok so I do not get to shoot a second buck - what prevents my neighbor who was unsuccessful up to this point from not shooting that buck? Isn't the buck hunter success rate still well below 20 or 30%? So with one and done - what keeps bucks protected from being killed by the unsuccessful hunters up to that part of the season?

I just read a report commissioned by the WV DNR in 2010 - that 50% of WV deer hunters go home empty handed. Now that is deer hunters not buck hunters because the study went on does and bucks harvested - so I would think that the percentage of buck hunters that went home empty handed is even higher. The percentage of hunters taking 2 deer (again not bucks - but deer) was 13% and the number taking 3 deer was 6% (again how much of the 6% were all bucks?). I saw where in 2012 someone said there were more bucks killed than does but from what I saw 2013 it was pretty much even I believe there were 300+ more does killed than bucks.

So once again - how can implementing a one and done be such a big buck protection plan? Ok so 19% of our hunters are killing more than one deer - how much of the 19% are bucks? I would say it would be a safe bet to say it is 9.5% or less are extra bucks being killed. And this would not even account for those bucks saved by not being killed by an extra tag of one hunter but would still get killed by an unsuccessful hunter up to that point of the season and to be truthful I think that would be high (like 50 to 70 percent likely that the buck would still get killed one way or another but that is just a guess)!

I believe I read that the buck kill during the buck season was 57000 - so I am sure there were several thousand more bucks killed during the bow and muzzleloading seasons - so probably 65000 to 67000 bucks total were killed last year would be a good guess? I don't know - guess we can never know for sure of the exact number - so if we go by 10% of hunters harvest an extra buck that is 6500 to 6700 bucks were killed by the extra tag. That just does not seem like a big number to me. So again - I ask how does implementing a one and done allow for a ton more bigger bucks or heck even more bucks of any size????? Once again - this doesn't even factor in the bucks saved from a one buck limit but would be shot anyways by another hunter.

Now I will take it a step farther - lets implement AR's - just for turds and giggles - lets say it is 4 points to one side. How many of those 65000 or 67000 bucks killed last year had 4 points on one side. I am going to say 50% had less than 4 points on one side but my mind says it was probably even higher that there was more than 50% being smaller bucks. But lets use 50%, so now 50% of 65000 to 67000 - if my math serves me right that would be 32,500 to 33,500 additional bucks running around. Now I know my figures are not perfect by any means but I don't think they are ludicrous either....

Now I am not saying that AR's only for bigger bucks - I am saying that to me AR's seems like a better alternative to go with then a one buck limit to increase the percentage of bucks making it to the next season.... if I am wrong someone please explain how..... I am all ears

16-Oct-14
You saying that bucks saved by a one buck limit will be shot by someone else doesn't hold water. If that was the case, we wouldn't have bucks now because the assumption is that deer passed by one will be killed by another. So following your logic, the deer saved by the person harvesting two bucks and not three will simply be killed by another hunter.

An unsuccessful hunter is that, an unsuccessful hunter. You can't just make them successful to add to your argument.

The one and done is a self-fulfilling act. Once people see larger bucks, they are more willing to pass on even the basket racked eight pointers.

The fact is that a one buck limit is a silent AR for many people. Having that one buck limit puts your spikes, three points, and four points off limits to many hunters who would otherwise shoot them.

The truth is, either a one buck limit or ARs, or APRs will benefit the herd of West Virginia. It is impossible to say that going from three to one buck a year will not help WV.

16-Oct-14
I personally know 15 people that kill 3 bucks each year. I could do that easily. Even with my bow. I passed up 3 small bucks already. It really isn't hard. Now 3 big bucks is hard.

16-Oct-14
nothing keeps your neighbor from shooting that deer but you can each just shoot one. That will reduce the bucks killed. It really is just simple math. If one and done was implemented my 15 buddies would only be able to kill 15 bucks total not 45. that is a big reduction in buck kills. It is not going to happen anyway

16-Oct-14
you are right. Lots of hunters go home empty handed. Which means that a few hunters kill most of the bucks. In the hunting club I was in it was nothing for us to have 20 deer killed by Wed. 7 of the 20 guys killed 14 of them. Sooooo, if you reduce it to one and done there would only be 13 bucks killed in that scenario. Which might raise the odds for the guys that go home empty handed. LOL

16-Oct-14
So you both disagree with the DNR study that says there is not overall the total number of extra buck being killed by the extra tags that you say there are???? I wish they would break down the number of bucks and does killed with the extra tags but I could not find that anywhere.

Sundaywv - I totally agree with what someone else stated on here that one and done would reduce some of the bucks being killed because there are guys who shoot a small buck first and then go after a nicer buck - years ago I did that - I would like to say I have matured some. So now if one and done goes into effect some of those hunters may not shoot the young deer and hold out for the bigger - but I am here to tell you that yes that younger buck will continue to make a foolish mistake and walk by another hunter who will shoot him. And if you don't understand that then you do not know wv hunters very well!

One and done will not work alone and it will not work all that great with population control. Because there will still be a majority of young bucks being killed. Go look at some of the studies PA has put out. When they had just one deer and done in place - 80% of their buck harvest was yearling bucks! After AR's were put in place the survival rate of young buck hugely increased and those young deer became edcucated.

JR - you are right it is simple math - go look at the surveys and research done by both WV on multiple tag kills and PA's one and done on one and done before AR's were put in place. 80% of the buck harvest was yearlings with one and done!!!!!!!

Guys there is a bigger picture out there. You have to look at the whole pie instead of just a piece of it.

I will be the first to admit AR's are not the sole answer but it does not take a brick to fall on my head to realize that one and done is not the only answer. And if you look at the numbers there are not a whole bunch of people who make use of the extra tags so you one and doner's are looking at a drop in the buck if you think you will see a major difference.

It will never be possible but I would bet that if you have one area where you implement one and done and another area you have a 2 buck limit with AR's (heck I will even say a 3 buck limit with AR's) then the multiple buck area with AR's will produce more and better bucks every single time!

So you say well make it one and done with AR's - I say once again if you look at the number of deer killed with the multiple tags the harvest number is just a drop in the bucket and won't make an extreme difference. So allow the hunter to get two bucks which gives more hunting opportunity and more revenue to the dnr and the whole local economy....

16-Oct-14
SundayWV - you and JR and all the other one and doner's say that all these other hunters that you know are going out and killing 3 spikes or little bucks - then yes I will say the overall hunter success rate will go up because those foolish little young bucks will still be making mistakes and walk in front of the non-successful hunter - and again with one and done there is nothing to prevent that young buck from being shot - its as simple as that. Again look at PA's research on one and done before AR's were put in place - 80% of the buck kill was yearling bucks.

16-Oct-14
But Pa had one and done when they implemented the antler restrictions. So the reduction with AR is bound to happen. If they were allowed to kill two bucks they would have more bucks being killed. AR or not. One and done may not get us huge bucks but it will reduce the bucks killed. It is a start. And so are AR. Heck lets do both like Pa does.

16-Oct-14
I am not questioning the DNR. I don't know enough about it. But I am certain 100 percent that a one and done will reduce the buck kill. It has to. Remember a few hunters are killing most of the bucks.

16-Oct-14
JayD , I'm glad you have a sense of humor and can recognize a joke for what it is, a joke. LOL

16-Oct-14
JR - according to the DNR a few hunters are not killing most of the bucks - again the kill from the extra tags is not that great - not even a 10% increase in the overall buck kill and 19% increase to the total deer kill. According to the numbers it's like 2 to 3 % of all hunters use the extra tag on a second buck and even less on a third buck! And I know what you are going to say next not all of them check their deer in - but no matter what you do that number will not change even if you do establish one and done or AR's because a crook is a crook!

So one and done may amount to allowing a couple thousand bucks to survive but AR's has the potential to allow for 35,000 to 40,000 yearling bucks to make it to their 2nd birthday!!! That is according to PA and I think our numbers follow pretty close to theirs... Me - I like that 35,000 to 40,000 additional bucks running around for the next season over a couple thousand any day of the week! And I would still get to shoot a second buck if I would choose to do so in my home state and not get more frequent flier miles like you and gobbler! Rofl but in your alls favor you get to see some beautiful country!

16-Oct-14
Sorry my percentages are off a tad I am doing this from my phone and I forgot that there are a few but a limited few who harvest over 4 plus deer and I did not include them in my numbers but it is very minimal like 2% I think. I will try to look it back up this evening.....

16-Oct-14
Don't worry Tony Tucker will save us all!!!!!

16-Oct-14
JayD,

Where are you getting your numbers? I am fairly good at internet research and am not finding anything on additional stamp usage, multiple buck kills by a single hunter, etc.

16-Oct-14
I did a google search on multiple tags in WV (pretty sure it was on the WV DNR site) and the 2010 researched showed up. Then I did a search on PA and one and done and quite a few things showed up.

Just got home and I will search again for it.

16-Oct-14
LOL I am taking it that you did not believe my numbers! ROFL

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- In West Virginia, hunters who kill a second turkey or bear in a single season are said to be "tagged out," meaning they've reached the legal bag limit and can't kill any more.

Deer hunters face a much more daunting task. To tag out, they'd have to kill 10 deer, a number so large most hunters don't try to approach it.

A survey commissioned by the state Division of Natural Resources showed that only 1 percent of state-resident deer hunters - roughly 1,580 people - kill as many as six whitetails in a season. Percentages of hunters who kill seven to 10 deer are so low they don't even register, although the DNR's Chris Ryan believes they might exist.

"There likely were a few people [who kill that many], but not enough to show up in the percentages," said Ryan, the agency's game management services supervisor.

The survey showed that in 2010, the year in which the survey was conducted, 49 percent of all deer hunters went home empty-handed. Twenty-seven percent killed one whitetail, 13 percent killed two, 6 percent killed three, and 2 percent killed four or five.

On average, a West Virginia deer yields about 35 pounds of venison. A hunter who managed to fill all 10 of his license tags would end up with roughly 350 pounds of meat.

Ryan said it's possible - highly unlikely, but theoretically possible - for a hunter to put in the freezer even more venison than that.

"The 10-deer limit is only for the major West Virginia deer seasons," he explained. "Our season regulations allow hunters to take three deer during the archery season, three during the antlerless season, two during the buck season and two during the muzzleloader season.

"But the season regulations don't take into account special 'managed' hunts such as urban deer hunts, hunts on state parks, hunts on the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, or the youth/handicap season."

- See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/201311020095?page=2#sthash.BIu6Yc7V.dpuf

16-Oct-14
From that survey sort of blows it out of the water that every one is killing 3 bucks a year.

I think I did see where it said that there were slight increases from the several years previous to 2010 - so I guess wv hunters are getting better at harvesting more than one deer per year.

Again - from the research and personal observation - one and done just does not seem worth it to me and there seems to be much better ways to have more bucks make to the next the season.

16-Oct-14
Its a survey.....How many people? what were the demographics?

I mean, I could take a survey and show you just the opposite...

I cant believe that you think that very few people kill that many deer. Think of all the deer that aren't checked in..for every buck killed, I would hate to even guess how many are killed and not checked..I guess they cant afford the $20 tag

16-Oct-14
Not everyone is killing 3 bucks. But I know guys that do.

16-Oct-14
Was it the results of the checked in by the DNR or a survey? I never participated in the survey

16-Oct-14
Big Otis I do not know one person who has ever killed 3 bucks - not one. Again you know a ton of hunters that do and the DNR believes that the number is small - so you don't believe the DNR that's fine.

Guess you don't believe PA research that said 80 % of the buck harvest was yearling bucks when they had one and done but no AR's. AR's reduced that number because it actually protects young bucks from being harvested.

16-Oct-14
It'd be interesting to know the methods in which the survey was conducted. I'd seriously be rubbing it in if the numbers were collected by actual tag counts. I'm going to say I told you so anyways. Good job JayD. I reckon most of the 3 buck killers didn't take the survey maybe? :^) If the dnr feels it is a good representation, why shouldn't we?

I know one year isn't scientific. I know a count other than total tags could be flawed. But, are we to believe all the three buck killers just didn't participate?

A formal freedom of info request could provide enough info to make it scientific. HUMMMMMM? I think I have a new task to tackle. I'll see if it is possible tomorrow. God Bless

16-Oct-14
JayD. Thanks for posting the article.

However, the percentages are based on the number of hunters....not on the number of bucks killed. You said the survey and one and done would only have the opportunity of saving 6,500 bucks....that is incorrect.

The article states 1%, or ~1,580 hunters....so using 158,000 deer hunters in calculation:

13% of hunters killing 2 deer result 20,540 ADDITIONAL deer 6% of hunters killing 3 deer result 18,960 ADDITIONAL deer 2% of hunters killing 4.5 deer result 11,060 ADDITIONAL deer killed 1% of hunters killing 6 deer result 7,900 ADDITIONAL deer killed Totals 58,460 ADDITIONAL deer that are killed after hunters have killed one deer.

Assuming 50% of the ADDITIONAL deer are bucks, then that is 29,230 bucks that walk.

I don't understand why you have so much heartburn when folks say they know people who kill three bucks....just because you don't know anyone. The data to me says differently.

16-Oct-14
It's not the fact that very few people kill 3 bucks. It's the ability that they can . With the extra tag in their pocket there is no incentive to be selective with the first one. That is the problem.

16-Oct-14
Ok gobbler I see your point but won't AR's prevent that better than limits? According to PA's research even with 1 and done - a big majority of hunters still shot yearling bucks. That is my major beef with limits - you can still shoot a young buck. Good gracious 80% is a huge number! Just think of the number of yearlings that would make it through the season.

And I disagree with those who say that the yearling or small buck that the now selective hunter under 1 and done is going to go easily through the rest of the season and won't get shot by another hunter - just because we have so many hunters in WV.

I know we say that it is just not right to require young hunters to abide by AR's but why can we not say not for 15 years old and younger?

17-Oct-14
WVM&M,

Thanks for pointing that out. I will be the first to admit when I am wrong - but now I am really confused by the numbers.

1- Only 158,000 hunters? I went back and searched and most others put the number of people who hunt WV at anywhere from 250,000 to 400,000. I forget the exact numbers but they had it broken down between resident Licenses, resident landowners and NR licenses. So I have no clue on the number. I may try to call DNR myself here soon to see what they think the numbers are.

2- I actually have higher numbers then what you have for multiple deer killed. If you go by 1 percent = 1580 hunters then I have 13% = 20,540 hunters who killed 2 deer which would be 41,010 deer. Then 6% hunters = 9,480 X3(deer) = 28,440 and then 2% hunter = 3160x4(deer) = 12,640 deer killed. Then when you add in the 27% who killed one deer 27x1580=42660 hunters and deer. The total number of deer killed comes to almost 135,000 deer total. only problem with this is the DNR in their deer harvest numbers says that there were only 105,000 deer killed in 2010... LOL

Again it has become too confusing now that I delve into it and not look at things on my phone. I plan to call the DNR and see if I can get numbers and percentages from them directly.

Again thank you for pointing out they said percentage was based on hunters - I looked at the numbers and just assumed it had to be deer kills because I have always heard the number of hunters is much higher than 158,000 - I will be interested in finding out how many people actually hunt in WV. Heck whenever I hunted up on Sleepy Creek during rifle season I would have bet there was 150,000 hunters just there! LOL

As to having heartburn - no I don't have it - to me it is just shocking that there are that many killing 3 bucks and they are mainly spikes and small deer.

17-Oct-14
JayD:

To your number 1 point: I struggled with that too. Most references to number of deer hunters in WV are 300,000 to 325,000. The article states "state resident" deer hunters. But if the number was 325,000, the number of deer being killed is too many after using the percentages for success....even for the early 1990's.

Number 2 point: I took away the first deer that the hunters would harvest (one and done assumption). So for the hunters that killed two, I only counted their second. For hunters killing 3, I counted their 2nd and 3rd deer...etc.

If you get a chance to talk to DNR, please share what you find out. We have a more serious problem than deer herd ratio IF we only have 158,000 deer hunters. thnx

17-Oct-14
I agree AR will reduce the number of bucks killed. But PA already had a one and done. We have to start somewhere., (actually we don't and we won't). Lol. Lots of other states have a one buck limit with AR and have big deer.

17-Oct-14
JayD if you don't know anyone that kills 3 bucks you need to get out more. And if the DNR believes that they need to get out more. Lol

17-Oct-14
A survey is when you ask all hunters about their kills. That is totally different than the data collected from the deer kills. That is actually what happened. Again I was never asked to participate so I assume there were other hunters that didn't as well.

17-Oct-14
I think gobbler hit the nail on the head. In the Midwest and western states I hunt in the hunters I know wouldn't think about killing the bucks we do. They kill does for meat.

17-Oct-14
I think it would be impossible to say how many deer hunters we have. Just because you buy a license doesn't mean you hunt.,they may be able to estimate the number based on the extra tags people buy. But some hunters don't buy the extra tags.,

17-Oct-14
I know you keep referring to Pa but I guarantee that if Pa allowed more than one buck to be killed they would have killed more bucks. And that is before AR

17-Oct-14
JR - the only really thing I disagree with is that I think bucks need to get older instead of being killed as a yearling. One and done does not prevent that - PA's research showed 80% of the buck harvest were yearlings b4 AR's became the law of the land.

Yes, I agree that if PA allowed 2 bucks more bucks would probably get killed but would the number be extreme? I don't know for certain if it would be very many because it would be older bucks that would have to be killed because you have protected younger buck.

I know you guys feel one and done is the answer - it is not the answer if it is just one and done. All I am saying is AR's could possibly appease a majority of hunters because we could possibly still harvest two bucks and protect our young bucks.

I don't know if 80% of the wv buck harvest is yearlings or not - but I bet it is pretty darn close to that. So I believe the number of bucks killed with the gun was something like 57,000 in 2013 and that does not take into account bucks killed with bow or muzzleloaders. I think in another post I said lets say 67,000 and I am sure it is probably more than that. If you use the same percentage as PA (the reason I use PA is I think it compares more to WV then any other state) 67000 x .80 = 53,600 young bucks not being killed! Lets lower the percentage to 60% - 67000 X .60 = 40,200. I don't know that seems like a lot of bucks making it to their second birthday now.

To me - AR's sound so much better with a 2 buck limit. You protect alot of young bucks for the following year and you do not take away hunting opportunity. And again - if we say 15 years old or younger hunters can shoot any buck - how many would that amount to? I would think not a large percentage.

Maybe my way of thinking is not right but I just think that with AR's and a 2 buck limit - there will not be as many people killing a second buck because: 1- the buck has to be an older buck and 2- quite a few would place a limit for the second to be bigger than the first (not all hunters would but I think some would. But in return with one and done only - you will still have a ton of wv hunters that will shoot a spike or younger buck just to kill a buck. Call me crazy but that is the way I see it. Again explain how this way of thinking is wrong? And yes I agree you put AR's and one and done together and there would be more bigger bucks running around - when I weigh what the figures would be I just don't think it would save a ton of big bucks from being killed and it just limits hunting opportunity. That is why I say allow 2 bucks but make it with AR's for both bucks with an exception for young hunters.

17-Oct-14
Since we opened doe season during rifle season and especially after the requirement of a doe be killed before a second buck the 1.5 year old buck component has dropped from about 75% To 50-65% in some counties. So it is helping.

After going to DNR Commission meetings for about 5 years I think there is a chance to reduce the limit to 2 in the near future. I don't think AR would have a snowballs chance in xxxx of passing.

Just my opinion based on listening to the Commission meetings for several years.

17-Oct-14
AR won't ever pass. And I guess WV hunters are different.,where I hunt in Kansas they wudnt think of shooting a 1 1/2. Year old buck.

17-Oct-14
What's the big deal about shooting two bucks? I would much rather eat a doe. I would rather kill 1 big buck

17-Oct-14
Heck if we are like Pavlegs do AR and one and done

17-Oct-14
One and done wouldn't limit opportunity. We can still hunt does. I meant to say if we are so much like Pa lets do both

17-Oct-14
Yeah J.R. where you hunt in Kansas most all of the land is tied up in people making money off of paying customers for big bucks so they would be stupid to shoot worthless 4 pts.

17-Oct-14
You are right. But they have to have big bucks to shoot.,same in Iowa, Illinois and Montana., I am not stupid enough to believe we will ever be like that. Most hunters don't want bigger bucks and that is ok. In fact most of the land in the southern bis hunting counties is tied up just like that.

17-Oct-14
You are right. But they have to have big bucks to shoot.,same in Iowa, Illinois and Montana., I am not stupid enough to believe we will ever be like that. Most hunters don't want bigger bucks and that is ok. In fact most of the land in the southern bow hunting counties is tied up just like that.

• Sitka Gear