Turtle504 27-Sep-14
Ridgehunter 27-Sep-14
Wild Bill 28-Sep-14
Gene 29-Sep-14
Will 29-Sep-14
notme 29-Sep-14
Treerat 29-Sep-14
26-Sep-14
So...I have a a large piece of private property I hunt in Fairfield Co (130 acres) anyway at one end of the property there is this one particular house that has a dog that is always out side, which wouldn't bother me except this dog sits there and barks constantly a day comes running onto the private property chasing deer. Last week I had 3 deer coming in...just after legal shooting time so all I could do is watch well all of a sudden the dog comes busting into the woods and chases all the deer off. Now I'm back in stand again this am and right at 1st light here he comes through the woods barking and chasing everything that moves or makes a sound. Same issue last year too.....starting to get fed up. What should I do? Knock on door and ask them to keep there dog in there yard? Call local animal control and let them deal with it? Or call deep officer ? More than likely they do not know we are hunting here . But I do know the property/land owner we hunt on here hates dogs and has issues with people trespassing and dog walking... WHAT would you do?

26-Sep-14
i have a tiny piece in ffl cnty thats almost the same deal..i never know if the dogs barking just because or if a deers around..i tried talking to them and they told me to "f" off...the same might happen to you...id see if the landowner can talk to them.or see if you can pick up their piece...and where did you find 130 acres in ffld cnty.hmmmm..lol

26-Sep-14
The dog owners property isn't worth getting our property boarders it on 2 sides other sides are houses and street. Ya 130 is a lot for ffct but it's not as good as you would think know but it's nice being able to move around a bit....got it good through a friend who knows the owner.

26-Sep-14
There is a leash law in ct. If you wanted to stir the pot you could anonymously call in a roaming dog in the road that you think might be from a particular address. Of course your calling in out of concern for the dogs safety . I deal with barking dogs too, but as long as they stay on their own property there isn't a dog-gone thing you can do about it.

26-Sep-14
I think you should let me help you hunt it .LOL What town? is their a leash law ? Call animal control first then deep if that doesn't work knock on the door .Your friend Steve

26-Sep-14
This is going back like 20 years ago but my friend who was a johger always had dogs in yards chasing him he bought an ultrasonic thing that he could point at the dogs and they would run. I remember i brought him to a neighbors dog who was especially aggressive. He pointed it at the thing. It yelped and turned and ran. Funny. I remember it like it was yesterday.

26-Sep-14
Well you know the dog keeps jumping the deer, so use that to your advantage. Set up where the deer will / have been going when the dog chases them. You need to learn how to adapt and live In your environment, and 130 acres Is a lot of land, so move your stand! Hopefully it works.

26-Sep-14
The dog isn't still get on its own property. If it was I wouldn't have a issue. Auto it's a large peace there is not a lot of productive stand sights right now....if there was a bunch again I wouldn't be bitchin :). Steve I'll trade you this 130 for a 130 acres of your spots. ;)

26-Sep-14
Not a chance .LOL

26-Sep-14
Dam just reread that last post....auto correct hurts me more than it helps....lol

26-Sep-14
I believe there is no leash law in CT but the dog must be under the owner's control at all times when off there own property. It's a nuisance dog issue I'd call DEEP just for the fact it's chasing deer and let them take it up with animal control.

26-Sep-14
J I'd call the local animal control.

Makes me think of a rotweiler I used to see in a section of watershed land = had a crazy tumor on it's back. And makes me think of a weimeraner that I yelled at after it chased a small buck past me on watershed in a different spot.

26-Sep-14
That's funny will I remember that rotty! It was gross looking

27-Sep-14
In Vt it is illegal for dogs to chase deer. If a game warden sees it he has the right to shoot the dog. Now I have a dog and love them so I would hate to see that happen. I would report it though.

27-Sep-14
I'd go knock on the door. Just talk to them.. Maybe say hey look, it's hunting season, your dogs running all over the woods you don't own. I would hate for someone to mistake him for a deer.....

27-Sep-14
Call the local animal control,let them handle it.

28-Sep-14
Dogs off their property is illegal. Let the authorities handle it. Or, you could see to it that a roadkill animal is properly located for the dog to roll in.

29-Sep-14
I had the same problem many years ago. There were 3 dogs running deer and they messed up a few hunts for me. I called the then DEP and was contacted by a warden. His suggestion was to call the local animal control person first because if he came out he might shoot the dogs. I called our local control officer and described the dogs. She knew the dogs and who the owners were and had a talk with them. The problem was solved with no dogs killed, no aggravated neighbors and no confrontation on my part.

29-Sep-14
Hope this is working out J. No kidding on the rotty... First time I saw him he was with a shepard off sport hill. It was just before legal and I waited an extra 20-30' to get down thinking I did not want to be at the base of the tree with those to wandering around. I thought he had a pack on when I first saw him... but just a giant tumor...

29-Sep-14
if this is the same rotty im thinking of , I think it belonged to the then/ still is animal control officer.. I had an old boss that lived off of sport hill and that thing would scare the crap out of me when it chased deer through his yard back into the woods

29-Sep-14
I agree with Dark Night; set up where the deer keep running or going. Also agree with the others that said to call the animal control officer or a DEEP officer can talk to the owner of the dog. The dog is not supposed to be wandering around!

• Sitka Gear