Ron Miller 02-Oct-14
gobbler 02-Oct-14
JayD 02-Oct-14
WV Mountaineer 02-Oct-14
Babysaph 03-Oct-14
hookman 04-Oct-14
Babysaph 05-Oct-14
28-Sep-14
Just read an article in our local paper that quoted a wv deer biologist that said feeding corn to the deer is killing them. I read that before. Makes me wonder why they allow baiting if corn is killing them.

28-Sep-14
Which paper?

28-Sep-14
It's a wonder Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, ky, Iowa and the rest of the corn belt have any deer.

If you feed corn during the winter to deer that hasn't eaten before it can die with a full stomach of corn. The reason is that the deers stomachs have not been able to adapt and develop bacteria to be able to digest the corn.

This is during the winter when the deers diet and metabolism has switched over from acorns and other mast to living on twigs and other hard browse like that.

If a deer has access to corn during the fall and is able to develop the bacteria and microorganisms to digest the corn then you can feed them corn all winter long and they will digest it and do fine with it.

Now, if you want to talk about feeding deer corn and increased predation and/or disease transmission then that is a different story.

I think the article you were referring to was in the Charleston Gazette and written by Steve Shaluta who is a private biologist that writes for multiple newspapers. He does not work for the DNR.

28-Sep-14
The Journal

28-Sep-14
Well that explains why there are no dead deer. In our state they get it from feeders and farmers so it sounds overblown to me. Let's face it, if it was killing the deer then the DNR would ban it.

29-Sep-14
The question really should be "why are you feeding corn?"

1. Bait them in. OK. Corn works, but so do minerals or deer specific feed. Both of which are better and of more value to the deer.

2. Feed deer and grow bigger deer. Corn does not have much nutritional value, most carbs (fast energy) and is really a filler. At price per pound. It is a waste of money. Better off buying deer feed which has better nutritional value per pound.

The other issue is if you feed corn for weeks of hunting season and just stop when you harvest a deer. Essentially other deer may starve if they are not gradually taken off corn.

In the mid west deer feed on corn as it rippens ( gradually). Then they are weaned off it after harvest as they graze on the scrapes left behind. It doesn't work that way when you are pouring piles on the ground.

The old adage " you get what you pay for" Corn is cheap for a reason.

29-Sep-14
I never said I was feeding corn. I am too tight for that, besides it makes em spookier

29-Sep-14
I agree with you JR - its makes them spookier. I have a few feeders out but just so I can put trail cams up and see whats out there.

29-Sep-14
Sorry JR. That was not meant at you, but just a general hypothetical question.

29-Sep-14
Ok cg. I see what ur saying.

30-Sep-14
I guess it depends if you want cattle or wildlife.

30-Sep-14
I have a feeder out year round set to spin 3 seconds a day on low speed. However I pile it on with minerals. People who have used my blend says it works but still need a few more years to see if it really is helping the deer. So far it looks good.

30-Sep-14
As with everything in life, corn is not the answer for everything. However used with population control, habitat management, food plots, it can help provide carbohydrates during the winter and they enter spring in a little better shape.

After the good plots quit providing browse and the hard mast is eaten it can help them as long as they are used to eating it.

I run 6 corn feeders as well as 7 troughs with sweet feed or deer pellets from mid sept to the first of April.

My honeysuckle bushes and winter wheat fields start greening up the last couple weeks of march then the clover plots start producing . Then empty the feeders first week of April so everything will be gone a couple weeks before gobbler season .

30-Sep-14
What I have read is that the corn sold as "deer corn" has not been certified as free of alpha toxins which can be poisonous to deer--that only corn sold as live stock feed should be used. I personally don't do it myself--just my preference. But when the neighboring properties are doing it it makes unbaited hunting more difficult.

30-Sep-14
You're right alfltoxin is a fungus or mold that can be toxic to deer and turkey. It damages their liver and kidneys.

It is supposed to be listed on the bag if any has been found. I use feed grade corn and don't buy any wal-mart corn.

30-Sep-14
What kind of deer feed do you use gobbler?

30-Sep-14
Purina

01-Oct-14
how long did it take for deer to start eating the deer feed,,, one of the fellows on our lease several years ago in winter bought a ton of purina feed and said the deer wouldn't eat it,, is it like any new food source like food plot plants the deer have never seen that they just got to get used to it,, or better question how did you introduce deer pellets to get them to eat it,,, I would like to get a supplement feed for wintering over the deer on lease up here around house,,, I know it works as I have hunted gobblers deer and when you skin them out they are fat and healthy even in the worst of conditions,,, food plots and pellet feed he has must work

01-Oct-14
I had the same thing happen to me. they won't touch the pellets or feed here either.

01-Oct-14
sounds like the deer are like kids. Won't eat what is good for em just want junk food

01-Oct-14
Mix it with corn. 25%, the first time, 50% the 2nd time, and so on. After a couple generations the does take the fawns to it and they grow up on it.

It's not a total feed, it's just supplemental. It may end up only being 10-15% of their whole diet.

You do have to keep pellets covered. Rain or snow will turn them into mush.

You can feed 12% protein horse feed(sweet feed) then gradually switch to pellets. Or just stay with horse feed, or mix 50/50

01-Oct-14

gcoleman's embedded Photo
if I put it in gravity feeders or troughs the bears will wear it out here in fayette,,, I guess electronic spin feeder no good if keeping pellets dry is a must,, Ive had big bears go thru 25 lbs of corn in couple of days,, this guy must have over done it ,,, lol

01-Oct-14

this is pic of him at 254 am before he passed out from eating too much by 325 am, got a pot belly hitting feeders in fayette county lol,,, looks like until dnr gets bear populations under control in fayette pellets are out of question,, bears are ruining my food plot at nite by laying in the wheat and mashing down the plants,,, did i mention we have too many bears up here,,,anyone listening lol

02-Oct-14
Yeah, we have lot's of Bear, but as You said on 1 of your Other Post's, " Luck if you kill 1 without baiting" I have bear hunted here in Kanawha Co for a few days with No Luck------LOL

Thanks George, Great Pics----Keep em coming,

Ron Miller

02-Oct-14
The trouble with hunting bears is stamped right on those pictures. The big ones are out at 2-3 AM

02-Oct-14
That is a good mix of feed Gobbler - you can increase the protein level by mixing in a some of the alfalfa pellets or there are some protein pellets that they make for adding on weight to horses. You can get your feed up to about 18% or a little higher and the deer seem to like it!

02-Oct-14
Bears are like big bucks. There are a lot more around than most realize, they are nocturnal by nature, know how to avoid us, and make a habit of being busy when we are sleeping. God Bless

BTW: I can't believe that bear hasn't swatted that feeder unit off that barrel and he hasn't destroyed that camera.

03-Oct-14
I couldn't put a feeder up here. It would get torn down

04-Oct-14
By the bears or poachers?

05-Oct-14
Both

• Sitka Gear