vvreddy 29-Sep-14
fingers 29-Sep-14
Passinthru63 30-Sep-14
spike78 30-Sep-14
Wild Bill 30-Sep-14
SmoothieJonez 01-Oct-14
CTCrow 01-Oct-14
29-Sep-14
As usual the tree huggers are resisting...

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/N-J-bear-attack-raises-fears-in-Conn-5786919.php

The horrific death of a hiker mauled by a black bear in New Jersey last week has cast a spotlight on Connecticut's surging bear population.

Although considered extinct in the state only 60 years ago, black bears have rebounded due to a combination of changes in livestock and agricultural farming, reforestation and a ban on bear hunting since 1840.

Bear sightings statewide have grown from 75 in 1994 to 3,347 last year, state records show. Wildlife officials believe there are at least 700 bears in Connecticut, and possibly as many as 1,000.

"The habitat is not shrinking, it's expanding," said Paul Rego, a wildlife biologist with the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

"I receive calls every day from people concerned about bears in their yards and pets attacked," Rego said. "As the population expands, it will include more developed parts of the state, and the probability of injuries increases as the frequency of contact increases."

There have been efforts over the last few years to restore limited bear hunting to reduce the population, spurred in part by increasing intrusions into r esidential neighborhoods.

But so far the General Assembly, faced with stiff opposition from animal rights and anti-hunting activists, has not authorized a hunt.

Dangerous encounters

While no one in Connecticut has ever been killed by a bear -- fatal bear attacks are said to be extremely rare in the Northeast -- the big, burly woodland creatures are being seen in grassy neighborhoods, and some recent Connecticut encounters have resulted in injuries.

In 2013, West Hartford homeowner Sharon Flannery suffered puncture wounds and scratches as she tried to protect her small dog from a 200-pound bear being followed by two yearling cubs. The bear and her cubs eventually fled the area.

In June, a bear was spotted in Trumbull's Porters Hill Road neighborhood, and in May a bear was reported exploring a Farmington neighborhood.

Rutgers student Darsh Patel, 22, of Edison, N.J., was hiking last weekend with friends in a northern New Jersey nature preserve, about 40 miles from New York City, when a bear began following his group. The men scattered and when they regrouped, Patel was missing.

Patel's body was found a few hours later and police concluded he had been killed by a bear, the first deadly encounter in New Jersey since the 1850s. A black bear found near the scene was killed by wildlife authorities.

New Jersey officials speculated the bear may have been seeking food due to a shortage of acorns and berries. The men were carrying granola bars and water.

Experts say running from a bear can prompt an attack and advise people to move away slowly and avoid direct eye contact. Adult male bears can weigh up to 450 pounds, and bears in general have no natural predators.

Bear hunting

To reduce its bear population, New Jersey reinstated bear hunting in 2009, and wildlife experts there say the number of bears has dropped by between 1,800 and 2,400 animals.

Still, bear sightings remain common in New Jersey, including in residential areas.

Connecticut lawmakers last year moved a bill out of the Legislature's Environment Committee to create a limited bear-hunting season, with licenses awarded through a lottery.

The bill was never brought before the full General Assembly for a vote.

More than 70 people submitted testimony to the committee, with most arguing against bear hunting and in favor of protecting animals.

"It's an unfortunate situation in New Jersey, but hunting is not the appropriate response," said Annie Hornish, director of the Connecticut Humane Society.

"We need to learn to co-exist with bears and not attract them," she said. "When you do a hunt, it won't be in urban areas. It will be well out in the woods. There are things people can do, like not putting out bird feeders and keeping garbage inside."

Population study

DEEP is awaiting a three-year study by the University of Connecticut on the state's bear population and its growth before pushing for legislative authority to institute bear hunting.

DEEP was supportive of a provision in last year's bill to consider bear hunting.

Rego, the DEEP wildlife biologist, said he's anxious to see the UConn report, which is expected soon. Current population estimates are based on eyewitness reports of sightings and state efforts to tag the animals.

"Our goal is to be able to issue permits for bear hunting," Rego said. "We see a growing population with more conflicts (with people), and we believe hunting is an effective tool."

Rego said he recently received a report from a man in eastern Connecticut who fired a shotgun into the ground to scare a bear off, but the bear didn't move, indicating it had no fear of humans.

Robert Crook, director of the Connecticut Coalition of Sportsmen, said he favors bear hunting, but does not believe there is enough support to pass a bill right now.

"There is a lot of opposition to expanding hunting. I think the research needs to be done and the thing to do is to wait for the UConn study," Crook said.

"The bear population is growing, but I prefer to document the potential problem," he said. "When the data comes in, they (DEEP) will probably push for it."

29-Sep-14
I have a serious issue with wildlife and environmental issues being managed by legislature vs wildlife/environmental experts.

That's not to say some legislators do not know about those subjects... It's just to say that people who are well trained, though I may not always agree, tend to make better decisions overall.

For example, I wouldnt go to a neurosurgeon to learn about different stains for use on your house. While the neurosugeon may have some experience or know a little, they wont know what a person who's trained to and has years doing work in that area.

Hopefully no one here (MA) or there (CT) or anywhere else meets the same fate as Darsh...

29-Sep-14
Legislators can go to either a neurosurgeon or a proctologist. As we know, they don't know their brain from their ass.

I think we will have a bear season here in a few years.

Thanks for the update vvreddy.

29-Sep-14
I hope you guys get a bear season as its another reason to get in the woods. As far as bear attacks go their are more dangers out there then a bear. We have way more chance of falling out a tree then being killed by a bear. NJ may want to consider their bear spray law as they are crawling with bears but you are not allowed to defend yourself with spray or a gun. Absurd. who knows maybe if a liberal anti gun tree hugger was attacked maybe they would reconsider their stance on the right to carry for defense.

29-Sep-14
I hope the family sues NJ for the mans death. It really pisses me off that a state can make it illegal for you to defend yourself. Had to post again to show political stupidity.

29-Sep-14
Two problems that I see in this article. Hunters failing to make their voices heard and dumb tree huggers spouting off rubbish that is heard and believed by those who don't know better....

"More than 70 people submitted testimony to the committee, with most arguing against bear hunting and in favor of protecting animals.

"It's an unfortunate situation in New Jersey, but hunting is not the appropriate response," said Annie Hornish, director of the Connecticut Humane Society.

"We need to learn to co-exist with bears and not attract them," she said. "When you do a hunt, it won't be in urban areas. It will be well out in the woods. There are things people can do, like not putting out bird feeders and keeping garbage inside."

29-Sep-14
Dream on , just like sunday hunting , not going to happen. Mot in this state .

30-Sep-14
I've been hunting in NJ for over 35 years and I can remember days where we'd see 30 deer a day and no bears. No we see about 8 dear a day and numerous bears. And this is in the woods - Delaware water gap - where you would expect to see bears. the population has grown so much that it pushes bears farther and farther into suburbia. Nj waited way to long to institute a hunt, CT is way past it's time as well. It will only get worse and by then the bears are all over. I watched the bear hunting fight in NJ closely and the good news is CT did too so it knows what it is up against. Hope they learned and can get this done.

30-Sep-14
Passinthru I hunted the Gap. We saw 7 bears in one week and 8 deer. The sign looks like their is alot of deer. The bears their did make me feel alittle uneasy. I got a pic of one that looks around 500 pounds.

30-Sep-14
I've noticed more bear sign at my spot in New Milford, as well as fewer deer.

I just returned from Maine, and sportsmen there, are fighting a referendum to ban bear trapping, also hunting bear with dogs and bait. All the bear hunting/trapping that is now legal, has done nothing to slow the growth of the bear population.

It is quite obvious that the bears can withstand the hunting/trapping pressure and continue to thrive. Were the opposite true, the state wildlife management agency can take measures to insure protection of the wildlife resource.

01-Oct-14
What we as hunters should be expecting next in Connecticut?

01-Oct-14
that's some scarry s4!t.

• Sitka Gear