live2hunt 01-Oct-14
Drop Tine 01-Oct-14
Doug 01-Oct-14
WausauDug 02-Oct-14
Per48R 02-Oct-14
smokey 02-Oct-14
smokey 02-Oct-14
29-Sep-14
thinking about getting one of these but worried about the safety of them. Ozone is not good for you and I'm wondering what Ozonics has done to make them safe to breath? My Dad brought up remodeling houses after fires and they would run an ozone machine to get rid of the smell. Then they were banned in some cities because of the potential of lung damage.

29-Sep-14
Ozone kills bacteria and odor. So they do work, but I wonder of its effectiveness in hunting situations.

Peroxide is also ozone, and works great! I had a funk develop in my hunting boots; I tried to think of what to use to kill the bacteria and remove smell without adding an overscent. Peroxide clicked and I soaked the inside down, let sit for a day and tossed on boot dryer. worked very well.

I have since studied peroxide uses and learned its just "ozone" contained in water. I am willing to bet its the main ingredient for scent killers.....

29-Sep-14
I love how all the guys who used to say "ignore the wind" are now using the Ozonics in addition to the scent lock clothing. I guess marketing money trumps integrity.

Doug, the main ingredient in scent sprays is water! LOL!

29-Sep-14
I have never used the Ozonic that is used in a tree or blind but I have two made by Whitetail'r. One is for a small room or closet the other for a tote.

I placed one in my truck cab with some soiled items and the next morning everything included the cab was fresh and clean smelling.

I purchased a pair of boots with scent control built in but they smelled terrible from the glues and materials in them. I tried everything except the peroxide and it hardly did anything. Over time they odor was almost entirely gone. The problem with the ozone unit is that it eats rubber and the toes of the boots have some small cracks in them now and I have never worn them. I had them in a tote with the ozone unit for several days.

I won't buy a unit that hangs in the tree, one due to the cost and two the health. But I will treat my clothes and gear with the unit by leaving them in the truck or small closet.

One thing about the tree unit. It should be blowing the ozone (and your scent) away from you, in other words downwind so the health concern is maybe moot.

29-Sep-14

happygolucky's Link
Here is an interesting read on the topic for what it is worth.

29-Sep-14
Scent block cloths.. scent sprays.. nose in sprays to jam the deers nose... various doe pee... now ozone gadgets..

Keep buying the crap... and they will keep making it..

None of this list of stuff beats playing the wind..

Even deer scents.. If you set the scent up wind of a stand.. how is the deer suppose to catch the wind with out busting you. .. basically regardless where you place your little orange bombs... The deer will wind you as they wind it...

Are hunters really this dumb??? Must be.. they keep selling crap.

30-Sep-14
A lab can smell a bag of dope thru the sidewall of an idling semi at the Tijuana border in 105 degree third world stench yet we somehow can fool a deer's nose in his virgin backyard air? Take the $450 ,drop it in the collection plate and have your buddie kick you in the junk for being that foolish.

30-Sep-14
I agree guys. no way would I sit in a pop up blind and breath in ozone and in a tree I doubt how effective they are. Even the company won't say 100%. Ozone does kill odor but I think only in a closed space so I use it in the truck when I am not in it or in a tote. The cost for those units is a lot less.

My advice is save money and not go with the pricey units.

Now for the cloaking device they just announced this week ;-)

30-Sep-14
The WhitetailR ozone machine works great for sent control. I have hunted after putting all my gear in a giant trash bag with the ozone blowing in. No only does it kill off all the scent on your close and gear but I believe the residual still in the fabric helps keep your scent coming off your body down in the woods longer. I have had may deer directly down wind and not notice a thing unless they are within 15 yards. If I dont use the ozone to clean my gear and just spray down I dont have nearly the same results.

That being said I got the WhitetailR for free because at one point we were trying to have it manufactured for them. Nothing beats getting the wind correct, but sometimes the deer come from a direction you werent expecting, and when that happens every second counts.

30-Sep-14
That's why I use to set up 100-150 yrds down wind of others bait piles and pick off their pet bucks..lol.. same deal.

Smarter deer will scent check the bait pile like a scrape from down wind and the baiter never sees the deer... lol... it is a very lethal and it does piss the baiter off when your dragging out the buck he has claimed on his deer cam... I love that part....well I use to ...

01-Oct-14

smokey's Link
This is cheaper :-)

01-Oct-14
We used to build a fire at our gun stands (some in camp still do). The deer would not be bothered by it at all. I always think about hardwood smoking my clothes, very strong masking scent.

01-Oct-14
My dad smoked while on stand and killed some very nice bucks and bear over the years. Save the money and play the wind. It's that easy.

01-Oct-14
I have smoked my camo, problem I had was the smoke scent would always put a tickle in my throat. They may not have smelled me but they could here the coughing :(

02-Oct-14
I don't trust the Ozonics to hunt w/ and breath in the Ozone. Smokey - I don't want my lungs to end up like your rubber boots! I like the little units to put into a tote to de-stink occasionally at camp and then hang outside.

02-Oct-14

Per48R's Link
Found this on ozone. "Ozone is extremely irritating to the upper and lower respiratory tract. The characteristic odor is readily detectable at low concentrations ( 0.02 ppm to 0.05 ppm). Ozone produces local irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes and may cause pulmonary edema at high exposure. Systematically, ozone has been reported to mimic the effects of ionizing radiation, and may cause damage to chromosomal structures. A partial tolerance appears to develop with repeated exposures. Although most effects are acute, the possibility of chronic lung impairment should be considered, based upon animal experimentation.? " My take. 1-it smells even in low concentrations. Deer will notice 2-it will cause you to cough. Really don't want to make noise. 3-it will cloud your vision. Don't want a shot opportunity where I can't see well enough to shoot. 4-cause chromosome problems - cancer? 5-lung impairment - I don't smoke, I don't want to breath like a smoker.

02-Oct-14
Per48R, exactly why I won't use them in confined places or even in a treestand. In a closet, tote or truck cab when I am not present is the only way if at all.

Ozone is present naturally and the deer don't react to the emissions like human odor but the Ozonics does make a noise with the fan so I would think they wouold hear that.

Anyway, I think they are not really needed. 1. Possible health issues. 2. Too pricey and 3.I can get deer without them.

02-Oct-14
double post

• Sitka Gear