Looking for safe land to hunt w/ my boy
Missouri
Contributors to this thread:
Bennco99 29-Sep-14
Dude 29-Sep-14
Bennco99 29-Sep-14
Dude 30-Sep-14
29-Sep-14
Hi, I'm in the Kansas City area and I'm looking for suggestions on safe public land to hunt with my 10 year old son. I bow, rifle, and blackpowder hunt, but because of safety concerns with public land I probably will not be anywhere with rifles. I don't know anyone with land, so private land is probably out. I just really want to get my son exposed to it and develop a love for it like I do. We were driving 2 1/2 hrs for our old spot, but that's not really an option any longer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan

29-Sep-14
Just to get him out, I would suggest taking him out for non-deer species like squirrels. Hand him a 20 or .410 gauge and let him have at it. A lot more action. You can still hunt together and public woods are not buzzing with deer hunters. This can be done during the middle of the day. Squirrels are going on town on nuts now.

29-Sep-14
Thanks Dude. I've never hunted for squirrel so I didn't even think about that. That is a good idea although I still want to get him deer hunting.

30-Sep-14
Let us know if it works out. I think something will come up eventually with deer.

• Sitka Gear