RutNut@work 01-Oct-14
10orbetter 01-Oct-14
Firsty 02-Oct-14
therealdeal 02-Oct-14
Cheesehead Mike 02-Oct-14
10orbetter 02-Oct-14
Cheesehead Mike 02-Oct-14
30-Sep-14
SurpriZed? What else would be the result of a jugular hit? Really poor shot selection. Neck hits have bad outcomes on any species unless the jugular is hit.

30-Sep-14
+1 Novemberforever. It is a poor shot selection and I would never consider it. Too many animals have been lost with shots like this.

30-Sep-14
10 more seconds of patients and it's a perfect shot.

30-Sep-14
Recovery of the animal was a good thing but bad shot selection and shouldn't have been taken!

30-Sep-14
Come on you guys... that was not a neck shot....

That was a frontal chest shot and an example of how devestating it can be and how quick it can kill.

30-Sep-14
I Agree on an Elk at close range that isn't a bad choice at all. That arrow took out more than just the jugular.

I will say that if you can't hit a paper cake plate at 30 yards than it may be a poor choice. But with decent accuracy on an animal that big at that short of distance there is all kinds of stuff to rip up in there that will lead to a quick clean kill.

30-Sep-14
Watch when the bull lifts his head. All neck and a lucky shot.

30-Sep-14
Based on the position of the bull and arrow entry point I believe the broadhead entered the chest cavity through the thoracic opening.

When the bull raises his head you are seeing the nock and fletching only which is pulled upward by the raising of his head and neck. I don't think that is indicative of where the broadhead ended up.

It's really hard to predict what will happen in 10 seconds when a bull is walking straight at you. Sometimes a frontal shot is the best shot you're going to get...

If you choose to pass, so be it but it can be an effective shot.

30-Sep-14
A lot here must be real homebodies, wisconsin foreum onlyies

The frontal shot has been discussed at great lengths on numerous other forums. And is a consistent proven performer on big game Always your personal choice what shot to take Frontal shot equals results Devastating quick results Antelope elk deer caribou you name it you can kill it with a frontal shot. Expand your opportunities open up some other forums Investigate the possibilities The name of the game is to sever blood vessels and the frontal shot does that better than most Great video job well done!

30-Sep-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I agree that the frontal shot has been dicussed at length on other forums, the elk forum in particular.

Traditional teachings have been to avoid the frontal shot but I believe it is somewhat of an "old wive's tale" or common misconception. In certain situations and at short range it is an effective option.

I have personal experience with the frontal shot on elk and the results have all been positive.

30-Sep-14
+1, Cheesehead Mike. Couldn't agree with you more. Anyone that hunts elk and in particular calls them in should have this shot in their arsenal. Very effective at close ranges. Higher poundage bow will even yield greater results.

BTW, Mike, how was your outcome out west with Les? Any good stories or pics this go 'round?

30-Sep-14
First, a totally irresponsible shot! Second, do you people even have a clew that this is the graphic crap that really does our sport more damage than good. Ignorance is bliss. You can take them out of the trailer park but, you can't take the trailer park out of them. Or, is that they grew up in a 63 Buick on blocks? Blank, idiots. If we ever loose our right to hunt, you can thank these jerks.

30-Sep-14
How many different handles are posting as the same guy here....Good gravy....

It's no wonder people spend.less and less time on this site.

30-Sep-14
Has nothing to do with politics! Who really gives a crap whether someone is conservative, liberal, rightwing, leftwing, blue, red, blah, blah,blah... It has everything to do with the perception and being able to show just a little bit of restraint! Maybe just a hint of self control.

That's brilliant, use it as an advertisement. Let see how far you get with that. Good luck with that one. Yikes.

30-Sep-14
10orbetter thats complete crap. We shouldnt hide a fricken thing. It goes both ways, they dont like to show a wolf or a coyote eating and animal while its literally still alive. Who cares, most people are educated enough to understand. Most non hunters I talk to even like the fact the at least the meat in my freezer did not spend its entire life in a cage, regardless of how it takes its last breath on this earth.

Get real. By not showing it for what it just does the antis a favor. Im not going to hide what I am or what I do because a very small yet very loud group of people don't approve. It doesnt show an animal slowly, and painfully being killed or tortured. It shows an animals life very quickly losing its life as pain free as possible. Thats what we should strive for. What we should not strive for is covering up what we do and how we do it, especially when its completely legal and has been happening since Man kind first started throwing around rocks and sticks.

On a deer it may not be a great shot at any distance, on at Elk at 30 and closer there is nothing wrong with it.

30-Sep-14
10orbetter maybe its time to step out of the closet and embrace your true wants and desires. Dont cover up who you really are. Be proud of what you do, how you do, and who you are!

Living life constantly hiding and covering up what your doing is no way to live life my friend. Especially when its just to please a few others.

30-Sep-14
A well placed shot and dead in 14 seconds... How can you call that "totally irresponsible"? Perhaps you subscribe to the long held baseless misconception that a frontal shot is a no no.

The vital area on a frontal shot at an elk is of substantial size and at 20 yards or less most archers are very capable of hitting it.

If you think about it, the kill zone on the front of an elk may be similar in size to the kill zone on a quartering away whitetail, bigger than a broadside antelope and certainly bigger than a turkey. But many people have no problem taking those shots and often at greater distances than what is recommended for a frontal shot on an elk.

30-Sep-14
Post it on one of the Elk threads and see what response you get. Again, blah, blah,blah…it's about showing just a tinge of restraint and having a little tact! I grew up watching The American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy, he handled hunts with just a little dignity for both the sportsman and the animal. No need to get graphic, it's the storyline that matters. That's the difference between a pro and some wanna-be-hack! Never been shy about my passion for hunting.

30-Sep-14
Animals bleed when shot....theres nothing that needs restraint...just silly. Millions of people watch movies where people get blown up and that stuff is far more graphic even if its not actually real.

Guys I know have been blown up, or seen their buddy next to them blown up. So no I'm not going to "show restraint" and not show a picture or video of an animal being taken just because you can see blood. Because thats exactly what happens and it should be represented as such, not some made up BS fairytail where an animal just decided to lay down infront of you and close its eyes.

That has nothing to do with Dignity

30-Sep-14
Results speak for themselves. I would be nice to know if he was actually aiming for where he hit. And when he drew the bow. I have spined a few animals. It was a conscious decision. I knew I would either hit the spine and break it, nick the spine and get a lung and liver. Either outcome would be quick and effective. Within 5 yards of the tree I am in, I shoot a pretty tight group. I really hate when I see on TV some dumbed down instruction like, in the pocket or aim for the off leg. Know where the vitals are heart and lungs to start, then the liver and major arteries.

30-Sep-14
10orbetter the only idiot here is typing your posts

30-Sep-14
"Second, do you people even have a clew that this is the graphic crap that really does our sport more damage than good." Our sport involves killing, almost always accompanied by blood. If you think you will change the mind of a PETA person by just showing the dead critter after he has been washed and brushed then you are the crazy one. It is easy to see who argues with emotion here as opposed to fact.

30-Sep-14
Ive seen this shot by my buddy on a elk. 15 yards, quartering to him, hit the pocket perfect. He was down within 30 yards. it took lung, heart, liver. Very effective shot if the position is right.

30-Sep-14
Let's say you are all right and I am way over the top on this. The you should, with no reservation or trouble be able to take that video or one like it of a whitetail kill and send it to the DNR and ask them to post it. See what response you will get. Or, better yet send a similar video clip to your governor and suggest he run it as part of an ad, Sportsmen for Walker. Any guess on the response you will get. Hell, if you can get Scotty boy to air it, I'll even edit the video together for you for free.

Capt.Mike, you are grabbing at straws. What part of, politics has nothing to do with it, don't you understand?

Per48R he got lucky, very, very lucky!

ACU-And, comparing your wounded or maimed war veteran buddies to an animal with the brain the size of a peach pit has something to do with dignity? OK!

therealdeal, brilliant post. Seriously, just a stroke of genius.

01-Oct-14
The kid says it all himself, "did you see where that arrow hit? All that blood just starts pouring out." He had no idea where he was aiming or what the end result would be. He just picked a spot and let her fly.

This was nothing more than a thrill kill for the kid. He was more infatuated with the blood pouring out than anything.

Lucky, lucky, lucky. Good mentor he has there.

01-Oct-14
It is a poor shot selection and I would never take it but with luck he did make a good clean kill.

01-Oct-14
Howatt +1

01-Oct-14
10orbetter,

So this kid, Per48R's friend, myself and all the guys I know of who have killed elk with a frontal shot all got lucky...? That's a lot of luck.

You can't determine what the kid's knowledge or intent was by his reaction and comments after the shot. For all you know he was fully aware of the effectiveness of the frontal shot and may have discussed it with his father.

The video may not be the best choice for a national ad campaign but neither are many of the shots or situations that occur while hunting. That doesn't mean that it's not worthy of sharing amongst hunters.

I'm curious why you think the frontal shot is such a bad shot... what are you basing your opinion on...?

Do you also believe that it's necessary to slit the throat on a deer to bleed it out after you kill it? And do you slice off the tarsal glands on a buck so they don't taint the meat? Do you believe that a 6 point buck is 6 years old? These are also outdated beliefs...

01-Oct-14
How did I do that 10orbetter? .....All I am saying is neither should be covered up. It should be represented for what it is, thus giving both situations the dignity it deserves.

Political correctness can Bl*w me.

I also have no issue showing pictures or videos of me shooting hundreds of rounds through the big bad scary black MMR assualt rifle I own.

Things bleed when you kill them, things bleed when you cut them up into steaks. And we aren't talking about posting this on better homes and garden website or some other more public form. If we cant post true hunting pictures and videos here with out being doctored, or edited to appease the antis than what the hell is the point? Seriously get real.

01-Oct-14
"Capt.Mike, you are grabbing at straws. What part of, politics has nothing to do with it, don't you understand?"

10, it seems you are somehow trying to make this about politics. I certainly never did. However, I do think you are illustrating my point about some people acting with emotion as compared to some who do so from a more realistic and common sense POV. Explain to me what I don't understand?

01-Oct-14
Cheesehead, actually to be fair I went back over the video and watched it several times. No his dad did not tell him where to shoot it. I give the kid credit for a good shot because it may have exited just behind the front leg instead of the gut if it would have passed through. Still risky though.

"Do you also believe that it's necessary to slit the throat on a deer to bleed it out after you kill it? And do you slice off the tarsal glands on a buck so they don't taint the meat? Do you believe that a 6 point buck is 6 years old? These are also outdated beliefs…"

WHAT?

Nobody answered my questions, would the holy Walker run it as part of a campaign advertisement? Would the DNR want that graphic of a shot on their website? Would any state DNR post it? Well maybe Texas but, that would be no surprise.

01-Oct-14
What does that have to do with posting it on Bowsite?

a website devoted to killing animals with a bow and thats it...which means blood is involved.

Last I check it doesn't involved chocking an animal to death. Which is the only way you would not see blood.

The DNR does not only focus on hunting so it would make more sense for them to not post this video.

Maybe you should avoid looking at pictures or videos on here anymore since the sight of blood apparently gets you weak in the knees. It seems you spend a lot of time on them already.

01-Oct-14
Don't ask me. Ask Howatt, he is the one that suggested it be used for an advertisement or promotion.

"This could actually be used as an advertisement for proper and quick methods of taking game. It puts into video the exact quickness and humanity that bowhunters use when keeping animal population in check. It’s the very selling point we use when tell people about how fast a BH can kill. It should be applauded."

01-Oct-14
Yes but your the one arguing that its to graphic and doesnt show restraint by posting this kind of video.

On a site for hunters, hunters that hunt specifically with bows and arrows, which when done correctly results in a lot of blood.

01-Oct-14
It doesn't show restraint in the least. I'm not going to change my opinion on that. We will just have to agree to disagree. And, I'm sure this is not the only place it was posted. Therefore my point!. Gallup says 62% of Republicans actually hunt. I have to believe it is higher and honestly don't know where their number came from. However, let's be generous and say it is more like 80%. That leaves 20%, that do not. That is 20% that could look at a video clip and say, I really don't like what that represents and be offended enough to make a difference in rights and rules for hunting. That is nothing to ignore. So if this was the only place it was posted, it still would be the wrong message. If that makes me, what did howatt say? "super lefty liberal democrat Walker haters" I'll wear that badge and keep trying to make non hunters understand we are not all thrill killers with a lust for watching an animal graphically bleed out.

I will keep showing restraint and try to build acceptance among the Gallop 38% of non-hunting Republicans and the 78% of non-hunting Democrats and Independents. Go about your business, I'll keep watch over your right to hunt through mutual respect rather than incivility.

01-Oct-14
I bet there are more animals lost from "perfect" broadside shots, than from frontal shots.

01-Oct-14
Probably Rut because more guys are apt to take that shot. At least I hope more guys are taking that kind of shot. And, it's not always about whether the guy is a good shot or practices. Stuff happens in a fluid enviorenment.

02-Oct-14
The frontal shot IMO is an excellent shot to take under 2 conditions. 1. close range 2. on level ground or even shooting uphill at an animal. Out of a treestand is where this shot becomes more risky due to the arrow going down and not straight into the chest cavity. TenOB you need medication btw.....

02-Oct-14
"You travel in those liberal anti hunting circles far more that the rest of the guys here that don’t hang with that type so you are the right guy for the job since you speak their native language. You could catch a lot in your net at one of your anti Walker Rallies."

+1 !!

02-Oct-14

I'm not saying the kid's dad told him where to shoot it on video or right at that second. What I'm saying is that they may have discussed possible shot scenarios prior to going elk hunting. You stated that the kid had no idea where he was shooting or what he would hit and he just got lucky. You have no way of knowing that.

Many people do research prior to going elk hunting for the first time. It's entirely possible that the kid and his dad or mentor discussed shot angles prior to the elk hunt. Since frontal shot opportunities are very common in elk hunting (due to elk being called in) it's entirely possible that this was all discussed prior to the elk hunt and the kid understood the pros and cons of a frontal shot and exactly where he should shoot at various angles. There are many forums and threads with a plethora of information on the frontal shot with disussions of where to aim at various angles.

You say the kid didn't know what he was doing and got lucky. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying that he knew what he was doing and executed it well. You have to make assumptions and disregard the facts and reality that are in the video to arrive at your conclusion.

Your comment about the arrow exiting behind the front leg instead of the gut leads me to believe that you don't understand much about the frontal shot. The goal with a frontal shot is not necessarily to have the arrow exit but rather to have the arrow bury into the chest cavity and the vitals (ultimately the broadhead may end up in the guts although that's not likely with an elk). The blood loss out of the front of the chest is usually more than adequate to provide a great blood trail without an exit hole. It's pretty much impossible for an arrow to enter through the thoracic inlet in the front of the chest and penetrate all the way to the guts without doing major damage to vital organs, arteries, veins, etc. along the way. All of these will lead to massive blood loss as is witnessed in the kid's video and which I have experienced first hand.

On an angled or quartering frontal shot on an elk it is entirely possible to shoot through the ribs in front of the shoulder or leg and have the arrow angle back and hit the heart and/or lungs. The arrow takes basically the same path as a quartering away shot except it is going the opposite direction. Somethimes this shot does not result in an exit hole on the opposite side but often a quartering away shot on an elk does not result in a pass through either. I've shot 10 elk with a bow; 2 of them where frontal shots and the other 8 were either broadside or quartering away shots. 6 of those 8 did not pass through.

In regard to your comments about the masses not liking this video with the graphic blood, etc. I'm guessing that the percentages would be similar to what you're seeing on this thread. The majority of hunters would see it as reality and accept it but there would be a few like yourself who think it's in poor taste.

02-Oct-14
Cheesehead, you make good points about the frontal shot. I'm not one to take it and will pass if that is the only option. So, no I can't say with experience.

On being graphic, we will have to agree to disagree. I just plain think it is the wrong thing to do.

02-Oct-14

I hear ya, and you are entitled to your opinion and choices of shots to take or pass...

• Sitka Gear