therealdeal 30-Sep-14
retro 30-Sep-14
live2hunt 30-Sep-14
Zinger 02-Oct-14
walteman 02-Oct-14
LTL Jimmy 02-Oct-14
Zinger 02-Oct-14
30-Sep-14
After reading the post regarding the ozone machines and how effective they are I was thinking about some of the new equipment I have recently purchased. For the most part I have been disappointed in my purchases . My HSS Safety Vest Harness the "Elite" is so heavy I don't want to even put it on . My 3 blade Rage bounced out of a deer I shot at . The string loop I my new Mathews is black and difficult to see in low light . My Mathews draw cycle will rip your shoulder off if you just inch in a little. Most of these items get a lot of hype from the TV celebs and the print publications . Does any one else feel like there is a lot of junk out there ? Also that the celebs have sold out big time . and most of what they push is not effective when it comes right down to it .

30-Sep-14
If we stop chasing "best" and "newest thing" then life gets easier. I am still one of those old guys who doesn't use a release. I still use the original Jim Crumley's tree bark on occasion. Fits me perfect, is the quietest camo I have. Same bow case I bought in 1990 something. It all works and I trust it.

30-Sep-14
Is that you Lil Jim?? Welcome back! The "celebs" are in it for money and I gotta admit I bought Nose Jammer one time because some guys I hunted with swore by it. It is all gimmicks. I never leave home without the bungout tool though... Good luck to you and your hunts. Still in the same area I would guess? I am not hunting this season and the change of leaves isn't helping my stubbornness one bit! I have four bottles of scent control if you need them!

30-Sep-14
LTL Jimmy, If I were you I'd take up a different sport.

30-Sep-14
The celebs arent interested in your success, they are interested in your money. Idiot on T.V. pushes sponsors product. You buy sponsors product with your money. Sponsor gives some of your money back to idiot on T.V. for getting you to buy sponsors junk. Repeat.

30-Sep-14
Yep, me too. still am wearing my timber goast cammo pants that ive patched to the point of my wife is begging me to buy new cammo, my skyline top for when the leaves drop is basically a shawl. I like the K.I.S.S. method for my stuff. although the target panic drove me to a release 5 years ago, wasn't too happy about that. But after I pulled out my recurve and shot this past weekend, and found how I could hit pretty good out to 20 yards, that may be my next gimmick. Back to a stick and string.

02-Oct-14
Put a new loop on your bow if it being black bothers you that much, there's lots of colors, I've even seen pink. In the time you took to type your post you could have had a new loop on. Plus did Mathews put the loop on or the shop put it on? Your Mathews draw cycle is like that because that's what's required for the most speed. There are other bows that have a much smoother draw cycle but are not as fast. What do you want speed or a smooth draw? You can't really have both.

No doubt that there is a lot of junk being marketed out there but the color of a string loop really seems to be grasping.

02-Oct-14
If you think teh elite is heavy, you should try lugging around a damn wheelchair. If any broadhead "bounces" out of a deer, you either have arrow flight issues are poor aim. If it is too dark to see your stringloop, you probably shouldn't be shooting at a deer anyway. reminds me of the old saying, "a poor craftsman blames his tools".

02-Oct-14
WHO IS CRAPPING WHO ? I have high expectations for the gear I use . So your telling me in 2014 the safety harness has to be that heavy to work ? The Compound Bow must draw that way or it will be slow ? String Loop for hunting ??? Why does that bow even need a string loop ? Arrow flight ? Come on man these pro shops set up bow after bow . My bow and arrow set up are just like a thousand other guys.

02-Oct-14
If you want the fastest bow then yes it needs to draw that way, it's a physics thing and no matter what people do they can't change physics. You can get a bow with a much smoother draw cycle that is still quite fast but the fastest bows have always had draw cycles like that because thats what produces the fastest arrow speed.

You don't need a string loop for hunting but with todays shorter bows (also partially for speed) it's hard to get a release that won't "pop" the arrow off the string at full draw. Again get a little longer and slower bow and you wont need the loop and your draw cycle will be smoother. I find I get better arrow flight regardless of the bow length though with a loop. Heck paint the top of your loop with a glow in the dark paint? The loop really doesn't bend because it's so short and stiff material I bet the paint would stay on pretty good.

Speed, length, loops, etc. are all choices you make, you can kill a deer quite easy without having to have the latest and greatest.

AS for the harnass I'm not familiar with the Elite but my HHS is not light either, but that's one thing where I will gladly carry a little more weight if it means it will be saver if I fall. I have a Spider harnass also that is much lighter but for some reason I just don't trust it.

• Sitka Gear