razorsharp 07-Oct-14
treesitter 08-Oct-14
razorsharp 08-Oct-14
razorsharp 08-Oct-14
VEARL 23-Oct-14
razorsharp 02-Nov-14
MichaelArnette 15-Oct-15
01-Oct-14
Anyone hunting either place? As a Guardsman, I was able to hunt in the cantonement area on Gruber last two years but the new C.O. cancelled that this year. :(

Looks like I have to find a new spot.

02-Oct-14
Razor,

I hunted Cherokee for about 30 yrs. It's a good place to hunt. Lots of deer and some of the bucks will surprise you. However, I have not hunted it in 8 yrs. I doubt much has changed though.

My advice to you is if you camp at Cherokee and plan to leave your camp set up is to camp in the area along the creek. Go down the big hill, take the turn to the right. Go about 500 yards +/- to the next camping area. The first camping area you come to on the left is where I used to camp. There were good folks that camped there. There's quite a few retired folks that stay in camp the entire deer season. Find some of those, set up camp close to them and make friends. They will watch your stuff while you are away. As for hunting, if you can hunt during the week you will have the whole place practically to yourself. Muzzleloader season can get a bit crowded. I would avoid the food plots as they get lots of pressure. These deer will eat the redoaks pretty well. Don't be afraid to hunt from the ground. Two of my best spots were places I could not put a tree stand. I built ground blinds and killed deer with bow, muzzleloader and rifle out of both of them. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will try to show you some spots on a map. Thanks for your service! Rob

02-Oct-14
Wow! Thanks! PM sent.

02-Oct-14
Nice gesture Stinkbait!

05-Oct-14
Never hunted gruber, if you can find a good stand of producing oaks on Cherokee you got it made

06-Oct-14
Going Friday to check things out.

07-Oct-14
Good luck Razorsharp. They are calling for heavy rain on Friday. Be careful, the roads can get pretty slick.

07-Oct-14
Will do.

08-Oct-14
Razorsharp, if you go Friday and we get a lot of rain be careful crossing greenleaf at the campground. The water gets really swift coming over the road there. There are a lot of good places on Cherokee, looks at the topos and find some saddles hunt the downwind side of the saddles. Good luck and thank you for your service

08-Oct-14
Ok thanks. I may be the only one in the woods Friday but I have rain gear and i'm not afraid to use it! LOL!

08-Oct-14
Oh.. and it is my pleasure and honor to serve!

23-Oct-14
Going down on the 24th the Oct. Plan on hunting during the black powder season with a little bow hunting thrown in. Was there two years ago and man !! the grass and shrubs have really taken over. Hope it is a litle better this year.

02-Nov-14
Going to try and get out this week now that muzzle loader season is over.

15-Oct-15
Ive hunted cherokee quite a bit...the time to be out is right after it opens up again in December. Never tried camp gruber but have heard good things. Don't overlook Okmulgee GMA

• Sitka Gear