Rut Nut 22-Oct-14
tobywon 22-Oct-14
300 Win Mag 28-Oct-14
Rut Nut 29-Oct-14
01-Oct-14

Rut Nut's Link
see link:

01-Oct-14
Thanks Perry, my brother just sent me the link from WNEP. I cant say that I blame them now that this nut has explosives. Very frustrating because I look forward to the opener and had to miss last year too. Hope they get him soon, they reportedly saw him within the last 24 hrs at 75 yards, I know that they have to be cautious so no one gets hurt.

01-Oct-14
Yep, I figured this would happen once they found the pipe bombs! Totally understandable. I wasn;t going out there anyway, now it makes me feel better- no choice. The DWGNRA (Federal lands) down by the river should not be affected, but have never hunted those .

01-Oct-14
Release #85-14 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Oct. 1, 2014 For Information Contact: Travis Lau 717-705-6541 [email protected] MANHUNT PLACES HUNTING SEASONS ON HOLD Game Commission executive order temporarily halts hunting and trapping in seven townships. The Pennsylvania Game Commission has temporarily closed all hunting and trapping seasons within seven townships in northeastern Pennsylvania, where the search continues for a fugitive wanted in the shooting death of a state police trooper. Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough today issued an executive order to close temporarily the hunting and trapping seasons within Price, Barrett and Paradise townships in Monroe County; and Blooming Grove, Porter, Lehman and Greene townships in Pike County. The townships all are within Wildlife Management Unit 3D. The closure affects all private and public lands, including the portions of State Game Lands 180, 183 and 221 located within those townships. Those portions of game lands are closed to all public access while the executive order is in effect. Hunting and trapping seasons will remain closed in the identified townships until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency’s website at the time it is issued. The closure was initiated after the Pennsylvania State Police advised on Tuesday that troopers who are part of the search for fugitive Eric Frein had uncovered explosive devices that apparently were left behind in wooded areas by the fugitive, and would pose an obvious danger to anyone who would encounter them. Hough said the discovery of the devices, and the danger associated with the search effort in general, would pose too great a risk to hunters, trappers and members of the general public. “While we realize this temporary closure might disappoint some of the hunters and trappers it affects, we’re certain, too, they understand the gravity of the situation, as well as the danger in allowing the seasons to continue as scheduled, given this new information,” Hough said. “Plenty of good hunting and trapping opportunities remain outside of the temporarily closed area, and we need hunters to readily adjust their plans to help bring resolution to this case and see that justice is served.” Frein is wanted in the Sept. 12 ambush-shooting death of Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Bryon Dickson II outside the state police barracks in Blooming Grove, Pike County. Trooper Alex Douglass was wounded in the attack. The search for Frein has continued since, and police recently discovered explosive devices – at least one of which was attached to a trip wire – in the area they were searching. The Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code authorizes the Game Commission to close any hunting or trapping season, or otherwise take necessary action, to assure the purposes of the code, including assuring the health and safety of the persons who hunt or take game and wildlife. The Game Commission earlier this week issued an advisory to those who might be planning to hunt in the area of the search, and indicated that the seasons would continue as scheduled, but the recent findings by state police changed the circumstances. Game Commissioner James J. Delaney Jr. , who represents Pike, Monroe and other northeastern Pennsylvania counties as part of the eight-member board that sets policy for the Game Commission, said the temporary closure is supported in full by the commissioners and is necessary given the totality of circumstances. By closing the hunting seasons in the area of the search, the Game Commission hopes to remove risks to human safety, and ensure there will be no interference in the effort to apprehend Frein. “The suspect has demonstrated a disregard for human life,” Delaney said, “The safety of the law-enforcement officers who are part of the search, as well as that of the sporting public, must take precedence here.”

01-Oct-14
Hopefully they get this "diaper sniper" sooner than later! Sorry you guys in pike have to put up with this! If it goes on to long I'd be happy to share some spots in columbia/Sullivan county areas. I know I'd be pretty bumbed!

02-Oct-14
Thanks Bogey- fortunately I have some good friends in other parts of the state and have several invitations to hunt! Will probably take them up on it.

They interviewed a PGC official last night who said they will be giving written warnings to anyone caught hunting in the CLOSED area that is not aware of the closure. However if they determine people are blatantly disregarding the closure they can site you for HUNTING OUT OF SEASON.

02-Oct-14
Nice gesture Bogey, I hunt in the northeastern portion of the closed area (Blooming Grove), I have areas open close by but have only walked them a few times turkey hunting. I have to put in some time scouting the area if this goes on a lot longer.

02-Oct-14
Hate to say it but, if I owned enough PRIVATE property to hunt up there and was not adjacent to the 5 sq. mi. area they are currently focused on searching, I would be hunting and pleading ignorance if they found me out.

Shutting down 394 sq. miles seems a little excessive.

02-Oct-14
Ya'll doan wanna be no part of that mess. Just hope they get the bag soon. No deer in the world is worth being a part of that mess. I must give the Bogey a double thumbs up. Awesome gesture..might recommend a couple of ya take him up the offer?? And then show the respect to keep the point to... fer only them what shows the extreme class he does :) This is a real big State...use the negative to find a positive...go discover new ground.

And all of ya..please have the best season you've ever had :) Please post your experiences...I'm still building a house. My time will be very, very short..and very, very Sweet. I'll just live vicariously through ya'll :)

e

02-Oct-14
Sad that nobody can hunt up there. I do agree with the closing though. You never know what that guy has rigged up there. I just hope they get him soon. God Bless all of the police up there and I hope they don't stop until they get him.

03-Oct-14
AMEN Ed! My thought is just stay out of the area and let the Police do what they gotta do! And you are right....................the biggest buck in the world ain't worth gettin' messed up in this!

And it could be worse! You guys remember Spider? Just got an e-mail from him. They are landing helicopters all day every day in his back yard(literally- he can see them land from his backyard). He said people are getting displaced from their houses on a regular basis while police search their property and he said don;t even try to get gas anywhere in town during a shift change. He said life is being disrupted over there BIG TIME!

03-Oct-14

Rut Nut's Link
Just heard DCNR just closed portions of the Delaware State Forest to hiking. Only exception is w/in Promised Land S. P.

05-Oct-14
I drove down 5 Mile Meadow Rd. that cuts thru the extreme NE section of Porter township and Del. S.F. just after noon yesterday. Was eerie! Not a soul out on the S.F. road and only 1 occupied cabin among the dozens and dozens I passed. And only 1 truck passed as I was on the road. Normally on the opener of bow season this area resembles the hustle and bustle of a small town.

Didn't think I was gonna make it out today due to family commitments, but made it out in the PM. I went to a spot on the Federal Lands(DWGNRA)- small plot of land close to a road. Had a couple nice doe come thru quick at 41 y. Just a little too far! Well, at least I got out. More than a lot of folks in the Poconos can say.

Hope this ends soon!

06-Oct-14
This could go on for a while. Any yinz remember Claude Lafayette Dallas Jr? A trapper who shot 2 game wardens in Idaho back in the early 80's. He was on the run for about a year and a half. Got caught and put in jail, and eventually escaped for another year until he was caught again. You'd think it'd be easier to catch this guy here in the East, but who knows.

06-Oct-14
I don;t remember that, Jeff. But this could certainly go on for some time. Like looking for a needle in a haystack on tens of thousands of acres of State Forest. And it sounds like the "needle" is moving around playing cat and mouse! :(

06-Oct-14
I know all that are involved must be frustrated and I hope this ends soon with the colder weather and leaves falling. I dont know what to believe with the reports any more. They apparently saw him on Sunday, or someone that happened to just dissappear in the woods. Tracking dogs lost scent at river, picked it up again and lost again. I didn't realize that someone can get away from tracking dogs that easy.

07-Oct-14
I hear you Paul. Obviously there has been a lot of mis-information put out there. Not all of it by accident, I am thinking.

07-Oct-14
As far as the hunting goes, is there any chance you guys could drive down and possibly use some of the properties from the 5C hunt?

Bill V

07-Oct-14
No Bill, we had an issue last year that caused the policy to be changed for our 5C Hunt properties. They are no longer open the rest of the season, just during the 5C hunt.

But I have friends that have other properties in 5C so I will probably get down there a few times.

And there are still areas up here in the extreme eastern part of the county and in the DWGNRA that are still open. It's just most of my spots were deep w/in the state forrest that are now closed. Those seemed to be the best spots during the RUT! :(

10-Oct-14

tobywon's Link
Some areas just reopened

10-Oct-14

Rut Nut's Link
Yeah, just saw it. My spot is now open. How bout you?

10-Oct-14
Links not working- try this:

Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough today amended the executive order he issued last week, providing for the immediate reopening of all hunting and trapping seasons in all of Lehman Township, and the eastern portions of Blooming Grove and Porter townships, all of which are in Pike County. The amended order also reopens to public use most of the previously closed portion of State Game Lands 180 within Pike County. The State Game Lands 183 shooting range in Palmyra Township, Pike County, also has been reopened to public use. Meanwhile, hunting and trapping remains closed within all of Greene Township, Pike County, as well as all of Price, Barrett and Paradise townships in Monroe County. Portions of State Game Lands 183 and 221 remain closed to the public, as does the western tip of State Game Lands 180. Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Secretary Ellen Ferretti said state forest lands in the portions of Pike County noted by the Game Commission also will be reopened to hunters and other recreational users. State forest lands in the areas impacted by the Game Commission closure will remain off limits to forest visitors. The amended executive order also creates special requirements for hunters within the previously closed areas in Pike County. All hunters – including those taking part in the waterfowl or archery deer seasons – must wear a minimum of 250 square inches of fluorescent orange material while moving. Waterfowl hunters may remove fluorescent orange material when settled into a stationary hunting position, but archery hunters must continue to wear 250 square inches of fluorescent orange, even while stationary. The 250 square inches of fluorescent orange is a combined total of orange material that must be worn on the head, chest and back, and be visible from 360 degrees. The areas of Pike and Monroe counties that are part of the area initially closed to hunting and trapping all are within Wildlife Management Unit 3D. The area that has been reopened is most easily defined by existing roads. All of Lehman Township has been reopened to hunting and trapping, and so are the portions of Porter Township east of state Route 402. In Blooming Grove Township, starting from its northern border of U.S. Route 6, portions east of state Route 739, south of U.S. Route 84 and east of State Route 402 are now open to hunting. A map of the open and closed portions of these townships is available at the Game Commission’s website. In the areas where the hunting and trapping seasons have been closed, the seasons will remain closed until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency’s website at the time it is issued. The closure was initiated after the Pennsylvania State Police advised last week that troopers who are part of the search for fugitive Eric Frein had uncovered explosive devices that apparently were left behind in wooded areas by the fugitive, and would pose an obvious danger to anyone who would encounter them. The Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code authorizes the Game Commission to close any hunting or trapping season to assure the purposes of the code, including assuring the health and safety of the persons who hunt or take game and wildlife. Today’s decision to reopen the seasons was made in consultation with Pennsylvania State Police. Hough said the ongoing police investigation and search for Frein has provided no indication it is unsafe for hunting activity to resume in the previously closed area that was reopened today. Still, he urged hunters in the area to remain cautious and to report any suspicious activity to police. “While the area that has been reopened is separate from the active search area, we want our hunters and trappers to be safe and alert, and if they see any activity that strikes them as suspicious, we need them to report it immediately,” Hough said. Frein is wanted in the Sept. 12 ambush-shooting death of Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Bryon Dickson II outside the state police barracks in Blooming Grove, Pike County. Trooper Alex Douglass was wounded in the attack. The search for Frein has continued since, with the active search area located in Monroe County. Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity or discovers possible evidence related to Frein or this investigation is urged to call the Pennsylvania State Police TIP Line at 1-866-326-7256.

10-Oct-14
Still closed for me, close but no cigar. Areas close by are open so will need to explore.

10-Oct-14

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo

22-Oct-14
Well, you should be good now Toby! They opened up all of Pike county now. Still closed in paradise, Price and Barrett townships in Monroe.

HUNTING SEASONS RESTORED IN ENTIRETY OF PIKE COUNTY Three Monroe County townships remain closed to hunting and trapping due to ongoing manhunt.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has lifted within all of Pike County the temporary prohibition on hunting and trapping, but all seasons remain closed within three townships in Monroe County. Game Commission Executive Director R. Matthew Hough today amended the executive order he issued Oct. 10. It is the second time the order has been amended in consultation with Pennsylvania State Police, which have determined restrictions that previously prohibited hunting and trapping in all or parts of Blooming Grove, Porter, Greene and Lehman townships, all in Pike County, now can be lifted. The order amended today also restores public access to all parts of State Game Lands 183, located in Blooming Grove Township, Pike County. Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Secretary Ellen Ferretti noted all DCNR lands in Pike County now are reopened to hunters and other recreational users. And, with the amendment, hunters within portions of Pike County, who recently had to abide by special fluorescent-orange requirements, may now return to the statewide fluorescent-orange requirements as outlined on Pages 63 and 64 of the 2014-15 Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest. The amended order retains the temporary prohibition on hunting and trapping activity on all lands, public and private, within Price, Barrett and Paradise townships, Monroe County. Those townships all are in Wildlife Management Unit 3D. Public access to the portions of State Game Lands 221 within those townships, as well as the portions of the Delaware State Forest within those townships, remains closed. In the areas where hunting and trapping seasons have been closed, the seasons will remain closed until the executive order is lifted, which will be announced by the Game Commission in a statewide news release that will be posted on the agency’s website at the time it is issued. Hough said the Game Commission will continue to work with state police to make further amendments to the order that are deemed appropriate. Hough issued the initial executive order Oct. 1, after the Pennsylvania State Police advised that troopers who are part of the search for fugitive Eric Frein had uncovered explosive devices that apparently were left behind in wooded areas by the fugitive, and would pose an obvious danger to anyone who would encounter them. The Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code authorizes the Game Commission to close any hunting or trapping season to assure the purposes of the code, including assuring the health and safety of the persons who hunt or trap. Today’s decision to reopen the seasons in all areas previously closed in Pike County was made in consultation with Pennsylvania State Police. Hough said the ongoing police investigation and search for Frein has provided no further indication it is unsafe for hunting activity to resume in the previously closed area that was reopened today. Still, he urged hunters in the area to remain cautious and to report any suspicious activity to police. “Our hunters and trappers need to be aware that, while the active search area is some distance from the areas that now have been reopened, the search for fugitive Eric Frein still continues in the northeast, and any suspicious activity or findings should be reported immediately,” Hough said. Frein is wanted in the Sept. 12 ambush-shooting death of Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Bryon Dickson II outside the state police barracks in Blooming Grove, Pike County. Trooper Alex Douglass was wounded in the attack. The search for Frein has continued since, with the active search area located in Monroe County. Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity or discovers possible evidence related to Frein or this investigation is urged to call the Pennsylvania State Police TIP Line at 1-866-326-7256..

22-Oct-14
Yes, just saw that. Thanks.

28-Oct-14
Now that they Re-Opened the area to hunting, did they REMOVE ALL OF THE EXPLOSIVES?? or was that a bunch of Bull to keep hunters out? seems funny how they found said explosives the day after PGC said they were not going to stop hunters from hunting. And no more found after that day? Did they sweep the woods and remove all the explosives?? Just askin'

29-Oct-14
I don't know 300................not much of any of this makes sense. They say they can't send in the military because there has to be an emergency declaration. So I say DECLARE it, then send in the special forces and end this NOW!

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear