Bow Crazy 06-Oct-14
Bow Crazy 06-Oct-14
Novemberforever 06-Oct-14
10orbetter 06-Oct-14
Two Feathers 13-Oct-14
bfisherman11 13-Oct-14
bfisherman11 22-Oct-14
02-Oct-14
I posted this on another thread but got no opinions.

I have a theory that most of our herd is feeding on corn now and have been for the last couple months. I think I need to be patient till the deer decide they are tired of eating corn and or when they cut it.

My land is in farming country, it is a wooded ridge and low land partially circling an AG field (second year of beans) with several apple trees and oak trees on it. I also have a small 1/2 acre food plot and water hole that the deer stage in typically..

I was very encouraged early on before the season. Many does and fawns but not many bucks on camera. Then in late July I had a bachelor group show up with some nice ones in it.... Fast forward to the start of my season and I have seen fewer and fewer deer on cam. I am not hunting hard yet because I want to be careful not to mess up any one stand site (I have about 8 on my 38 acres).

Last weekend I hunted Saturday and Sunday morning with no sightings. Oh, I do hunt the wind and am careful about scent. This is not because of me. I am letting my cams scout for me.

OK, as I mentioned my land borders a 200 acre field. This is the second year it is in beans. My neighbor to the west of me has the same observations on deer sightings as I do. I drove east to the farmers on that side of our area and they are all in corn now.... My neighbor and I think the deer are zoned in on that corn. Funny, I have acorns (red and white) and apples falling on the ground with no takers... Weird, weird year. I have had this place 15 years and never seen the deer so concentrated on one food source like this.

I am being patient. I know they are still around. It is still very early. The leaves are dropping now so I expect things to change soon.

Have any of you guys had a year like this before where the deer were (I am assuming) so concentrated on one food source? I have been hunting this place a long time and when the 200 acre field is in corn I have had my best luck. Our local deer just really seem to like corn. They can eat and bed in safety I guess but you would think they would want more variety in their diet.

The farmer with the 200 acre field plans to grow beans for three years before he rotates in corn so I will have one more year like this. Not sure what more I can do to draw them out of the corn to the east. I do have a pasture that is CRP now that I am thinking about planting about an acres worth of corn next year as an experiment. I know it is small but might be a nudge to get them to travel more.

Time, season change and patience are my best hope this year. What do you think?

Bill

02-Oct-14
Do you have any thick bedding areas? If not, put in 1-3 acres of Norway spruce thermal bedding. We have all the food you mentioned plus lots of foodplots. They rotate thru the buffet but bed in the norways. Have fun.

02-Oct-14
I have some thick areas that I stay out of on the ridge that faces north west. The does have in past years bedded there every year. It is a combination scrub brush popular and some cedars. Love pines. I have planted some else where on the property but not enough for a bedding area.

It would be great to see my typical "Bed to Feed" pattern but this year they are not bedding by me. I only have 38 acres but my neighbor has 100 and he says the same thing. Deer will do what deer do I suppose.

The area has decent deer numbers so I know they are around, just not by me right now. Ha

Thanks! Bill

02-Oct-14
I too hunt an area that was once an apple orchard and have seen only a doe with two fawns in it - they don't even touch the apples that are all over the place. Down the road less then a half mile on two sides are large corn fields - watch it at night and there are a lot of deer around both of them. Just have to wait it out until the corn is off I guess.

02-Oct-14
in southern Clark cnty the Red Oaks have been dropping acorns since the opener and the deer are ignoring the corn.

02-Oct-14
Squid, The does I have (infrequent now) are eating some apples but there are just too many for the 3-5 does I was having around. When I drove around the westerly neighbors corn fields you could see trails cutting in. I think we are seeing the same behavior.

Dug, My deer have never really hit my red oak acorns much. They do normally hit the white oaks I have in my ravine hard... Wish I had more than the two I know of. Well, I mean they did that last year. Ha

Funny, to the west of my ridge there are miles of corn fields. Maybe it just happened this way that my neighboring farmer and the two to the east are all in beans at the same time. Now that I think of it the farm down the road was in corn last year...

One good thing is my woods run straight down the ravine into the neighbors land and connect to these westerly corn fields. So, when they get pushed out they should just follow the ridge back to their normal range.

Just seems odd that they would be into that corn exclusively. I am hoping that that is to my benefit. If they have in fact been eating corn since late July. Now with the cooler temps, falling leaves etc they will change their pattern. Heck, I have a bunch of Maple trees too and in years past, I have seen the deer eat maple leaves. I suppose they taste good to them because I have an area that I have seen that for years at first falling of the Maple leaves.

Well, I know I learn something new all the time in the woods about these critters. Maybe this is another lesson.

I have never planted corn before. With out a seed drill it might be a tough row to hoe. Pun intended.

Bill

02-Oct-14
I think you do more damage than good hunting mornings this time of year. I have also heard that deer prefer the apples to be a bit soft/fermented. So apples that have just dropped may be to crisp yet. Although I've seen deer pull crisp apples right off the tree, so I don't know how much truth there is in that.

02-Oct-14
Its that time deer are not in fields might be winter coat. Corn is easily planted by broadcasting

03-Oct-14
I highly doubt that only 1 acre of corn, will last until the season starts. At least it won't in my neck of the woods. Heck, I can't even get 6 acres of beans to make it to maturity, because the deer mow down as soon as they sprout!

I'm not sure that there is a way to draw out of the corn, if they are bedding and feeding there. On my property, we have good bedding areas within 100 yards of the corn fields, so the deer just "commute" back and forth.

03-Oct-14
Good info guys. I will try broadcasting. That will save me a bunch. I have a good Co-Op in town that will give me advise if I ask.

Damp, I can go bigger in that pasture if the smaller corn patch gets hammered. Actually i would be willing to have that the first year. That would mean I was on to something. If one acre is too small I may be able to get 3-4 acres in that area. My initial issue will be the grass and getting that down to dirt. I usually mow, round up, then till with my disk. In this area the ground is kinda hard. last time I tried a food plot down there I had a tough time disking. I will have to add weight to my disk to break ground. If that does not work I might have to rent a pull behind ATV tiller (I have an ATV). My 1941 Ford 9N goes to fast for a PTO driven tiller so that is not an option..

Oh well, that is FUN for next year. Ha

05-Oct-14

Bow Crazy's embedded Photo
Bow Crazy's embedded Photo
My corn and soybean field, photo taken in August.

Depends on your deer population, I plant only a 1/3 of an acre of corn and have plenty to last throughout the winter. Same with my soybeans, 1/3 of an acre is plenty. This is central Wisconsin, farm county, Monroe County.

Broadcasting soys and corn works great. I've been doing it for years. Plow, disk, fertilize by hand & broad cast the seed, cover with an old spring tooth. 1952 Ford 8N is what I use.

I think the deer use the large corn ag fields for bedding now more than anything. With more activity in the woods, ours and the neighbors, it has got to be one of the safest places to bed. End of October rattle in the woods adjacent to standing corn. BC

05-Oct-14
Novemberforever, Do Norway Spruce need a specific soil land area type to be planted in?

06-Oct-14
We're seeing the deer hit the acorns pretty hard next to 100's of acres of corn in Vernon county. It's still early. Ditto to RutNut about morning hunts this time of year. Ditto to the spruce bedding areas.

06-Oct-14
"Novemberforever, Do Norway Spruce need a specific soil land area type to be planted in?"

Not really, the more sun the faster they grow. Unlike white spruce they will grow in wet soil. A 3/0 bareroot will not do much till year 4 then look out. Plant them spaced 9x9 or 12x12 for bedding purposes. 1/2 to 4 acre blocks are perfect. I also use them as visual/road screens as well.

06-Oct-14
Lot of good information guys.

BC, You planting field corn or sweet corn? Heck if I plant corn, might as well plant something I can eat too. Ha.

Bill

06-Oct-14
In general corn has 3 issues,1)expensive 2 plant properly,2)why plant if other farmers have it locally? 3) Tuff to deal with the next spring. wr/ptt/fhr/rape is a much better combo thru fall and winter when food is at a minimum. Your CC is determined by your winter foodsources available. My foodplots are not kill plots but more sustainable food thru winter and early spring when they most need calories. Small white clover plots works well with low maintenance for 5 years also.

06-Oct-14
I plant field, round up ready. Very inexpensive - a 50 lb bag from the NWTF (state chapter) is $25. Super easy to plant by broadcasting - that's what my experience has been anyway. Remember farms pick theirs, you don't. Hopefully you will be the only standing corn around come early November. In spring I just chop it up with the DR Mower or brush hog, works well. I think corn and soybeans are an awesome compliment to any food plot program. BC

06-Oct-14
One thing about Norway Spruce, they do grow fast but do not like damp/wet soil. They still grow in damp/wet soil but not nearly as fast. I have 4 rows planted for a visual screen and you can easily see where the damp section is. They are shorter, not as thick and some even have more of a yellow color to them. As stated above, great for a bedding area. BC

06-Oct-14
Btw, I only plant spruce as any pine gets sucked up faster than a brat at a Packer game. Willow,buttonbush, spicebush is also good for wet areas. Order the seedlings from MDC(Missouri state nusery) Super stock and inexpensive.

06-Oct-14
Another week or two and the corn will be down by me I hope! They are in there thick right now.

13-Oct-14
I stopped and looked at a young 5 pt that got run over last night. His gut was full of corn.

13-Oct-14
Had a much better outing this weekend. Saturday morning had a small buck within 15 yards. Too young but my first buck in range. He is going to be good. 1-1/2 and has 3 points on left with a palmated webbing, and 3 normal points on the right. That evening had a doe and yearling come by. Yearling gave me an 8 yard shot that I passed. If the doe was standing there I would have taken her.

Did some scouting on Sunday and found an apple tree that is getting hammered. All kinds of poop around it. I set up a tripod stand (no good trees) on a hub of trails leading to the tree. Also placed a camera.

Speaking of cameras, I have much better activity now. Like I thought they are moving on to other food sources now.

Thanks, Bill

22-Oct-14

bfisherman11's embedded Photo
bfisherman11's embedded Photo
Well, things are back to normal. I have stayed away from my core spot (food plot) so as to not burn it out. Trail cams were showing day and night activity there so I sneaked in and had good luck.

15 yard shot and I watched her drop.

Yep, I think after eating corn so much they are now feeding on whatever green is left. My food plot has Turnips, Brassica and Ethiopian Cabbage. It is a blend. It is so green you can see it through the trees.

Bill

• Sitka Gear