Babysaph 03-Oct-14
gobbler 03-Oct-14
hookman 03-Oct-14
Bennett2012 03-Oct-14
JayD 03-Oct-14
Babysaph 03-Oct-14
JayD 04-Oct-14
03-Oct-14
I love to have nice squirrel dinner once the season comes in but this year is like none I have ever seen! There have always been squirrels here but this year I am not seeing any! Last year I went out and got my limit of squirrel 7 out of 8 times and the one time I didn't get my limit I got 4 because I only had about 20 minutes to hunt. Then all Fall and Winter long I continued to see a bunch more squirrels. This year has been different - have not seen any squirrels since Spring gobbler season. There are acorns and other nuts all over the place. I cannot walk out my front door without thinking my feet will go out from me because I may step on 20 acorns because there is no bare ground to put my foot down! So what happen to the all the squirrels? I have hunted here for almost 20 years and have always seen squirrels but not this year - seeing plenty of deer and turkey. I have heard of a squirrel migration and always thought it was some old wives tale - this has me perplex! What are your thoughts???

03-Oct-14
Same at my place in the Mtn. I am sure the DNR could probably tell us.

03-Oct-14
Squirrel migrations do occur, but in years of mast failure. Several years ago when we had that total mast failure on I -79 just out of charleston the interstate is divided by a concrete barrier and there were thousands of dead squirrels on the interstate there where they got killed trying to migrate during sept. And Oct.

If you didn't have much mast last year the squirrels may not have had litters this spring ? That may be why you're not seeing any??

03-Oct-14
I am seeing bunches of squirrels this year, I guess just different areas.

03-Oct-14
Coyotes foxes bobcat hawks owls plus all the mast they prob not having to move much to find any grub

03-Oct-14
I have been thinking about what are somethings that are different this year from last. And it just came to me - the only difference is there are no corn fields anywhere close this year. Most of the fields now are for hay. Hopefully with the nuts - I will see a few soon but I have not seen one squirrel for months any where close to here.

03-Oct-14
I think the DNR trapped them and traded them for some timber rattlers and coyotes

04-Oct-14
Maybe so JR! Hard to believe I am complaining about not seeing any squirrels when a few years ago I was complaining about them chewing on the logs of my home!

• Sitka Gear