Jeff Durnell 10-Oct-14
PAbowhunter1064 10-Oct-14
Flintknocker 10-Oct-14
03-Oct-14
Please be safe.

03-Oct-14
You too brother. Enjoy our autumn song.

03-Oct-14
Jeff- FWIW I named my 1st successful selfbow, a Mike Churney ash stave- Autumn Song. :)

03-Oct-14
Good to see Metikki here. :)

Jeff, I hope your fortunate enough to launch a hickory shaft at a plump doe,......or just enjoy the day otherwise.

No reason to take chances, folks. Hunt wisely and best of luck, gents. Take it all in.

03-Oct-14
Cool, Dale. Very cool.

Thanks Roger. Done deal. I promise to enjoy the day(s) and wish the same for you and yours as well.

See you fellas in the sticks.

03-Oct-14
I agree good luck everyone and be safe, if you hunt from a stand be sure to strap yourself in.

Mike

03-Oct-14
When I post from my phone it goes back to metikki for some reason.

03-Oct-14
Good luck to all, enjoy and be safe.

I new that metikki wasn't any good Dale.

03-Oct-14
Good luck!

03-Oct-14
Junior and I are headed out in the am as long as the rain ceases. He is very excited, just went to bed and dad here is packing his gear......lol. Had to stop at Dunham's tonight to buy him long undies - growing like a weed on 'roids. This is his Christmas/New Year's/Tet/Super Bowl/whatever is huge in a hunter's life to him........I still remember when I was him and felt the same way. Things change. Looking through the eyes of another, that's your own, makes it better the second time around. Here's to wishing you all get what you want out of it.

04-Oct-14
Good Luck everyone! Especially the ones taking kids out!

04-Oct-14
Hunting in the rain can be a drag, but someone's gotta do it!

04-Oct-14

krazybkid's MOBILE embedded Photo
krazybkid's MOBILE embedded Photo

Just curious if anyone has heard of this; this buck had tags in both ears from the game commission with a $100 reward. I'm gonna call tomorrow with the numbers. Maybe Mitch would know more? Hopefully its not just a recording when I call and I can learn more.

04-Oct-14
Congrats!........Brad? No idea - maybe an animal tagged for study?

Junior and I only saw one deer today walking to the stand in the morning. Very Windy here, only the squirrels didn't care. My 10 year old nephew did manage to kill a buck this afternoon somehow, but I don't have details yet. Our cousin did see 8 groundhogs in the field in front of his stand. LOL. :)

04-Oct-14

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Had this little guy walk to the base of my tree tonight. 7 or 8 pt. didn't pay to much attention, was to busy trying to take pics with my phone.

05-Oct-14
Got soaked in the AM.....Almost blown out of the tree in the afternoon.

Did notice the persimmon patch by my stand is starting to drop....still green though. Trees are loaded.

05-Oct-14
Had the umbrella up. We had ice falling on us in the PM.

05-Oct-14
Congrats KK!

05-Oct-14
Seen 4 does and a 4 pt. Had a great day and liked the weather! Way way better than 8o degrees.

Congrats KK

05-Oct-14
Nice doe walked too fast through my shooting lane from my natural ground blind in the evening. Then I got pelted with ice! Lot's of places in the area had snow.

05-Oct-14

Bourbonator's embedded Photo
Bourbonator's embedded Photo
Took this doe at 7:30am. Opening day.

05-Oct-14
KrasyKid- Congrats! Yes, I believe the PGC has tagged some deer for study. I think you have a nice bonus coming! ;-)

Sticks- congrats to sticking to your guns and passing! I had a similar occurance and passed on a couple nice doe at 41. Second guessed myself for a few minutes, but then realized I made the right call.

Congrats Bill! :)

05-Oct-14
$100 bonus for shooting a deer? That's krazy Kid, congrats! Congrats to Burbon also...as for me I saw nothing.

Mike

05-Oct-14

hawk-eye's embedded Photo
too far

05-Oct-14

the view from a tree stand.

05-Oct-14
Didn't go out, finally getting better from being sick for 12 days. No buck on camera or seen all summer here (worst preseason scouting outlook here ever), cept a 12" long 2 point that was a 5" long 2 point half rack last year, I know it's the same deer.

I think I'll take my time doing a little doe hunting and wait till November to see if the doe draw any outsider buck in.

Maybe do some fall fishing for once.

05-Oct-14
Bushy, congrats, that is an awesome deer. :)

06-Oct-14
1 shaggy mane, handful of oysters, pound and a half of bear toothcomb shrooms. Same place I found toothcomb shrooms on the rainy oprner of 2005. And a quart and a half +/- of cranberries. Got soaked..and happy :) Know right where I wanna be... when I finally kin be. Saw very few hunters over 40 miles. Bow was home all alone. Worked all afternoon, spent twilight sitting out back along the creek with the setter watching the ducks sally back and forth in the wind. Need a dead deer right now like I need another hole in my head. Will be hunting from the ground this year...treestand thing is getting olde..or I am :) Ya'll go get 'em...I'll watch from here for a while :)

06-Oct-14

DcoleinPA's embedded Photo
DcoleinPA's embedded Photo
I saw around 10 doe and yearlings opening morning. I shot this one at 11:20 A.M. soaked but I was smiling.

06-Oct-14
Only 1 little button buck this morning. Time for a nap and back at em this evening.

06-Oct-14
Saturday i had 7 turkeys under my tree doing their thing for a half hour at 5-30 yards. Couldn't believe they never saw me! Wind blowing the leaves all around helped I guess. Jumped 2 bucks and 2 does walking back through a recently logged tract of land. Don't think I'll be back out until the weekend again.

Congrats to those who got and good luck to all who are still in persuit.

Krazybkid. What wmu you shoot your deer in? I used to trap and tag/radio collar deer for the Pgc/Penn State deer studies in the southcentral region.

06-Oct-14
Also, krazybkid, you should definitely call the number on the tag. They will take your harvest information and give you some cool info on when/where your buck was tagged and probably have an age for you too. Let us know what you find out about your deer and the study it's from

06-Oct-14
Also, krazybkid, you should definitely call the number on the tag. They will take your harvest information and give you some cool info on when/where your buck was tagged and probably have an age for you too. Let us know what you find out about your deer and the study it's from

06-Oct-14
I like the title, The music starts.

Last year I was siting a stand in the evening on a 6 acre lot. The young girl next door came out back of her house and was practicing for a play, a musical. She belted out a song from one of the classics, she sounded really good too ! Deer must of not been impressed though, nothing showed up. And

The Music Starts :)

Bill V.

06-Oct-14
Brutha Ed, me too. :)

Junior wants his buck this year to fall in the worst way to his bow - only. I have to smile when he excitedly tells the old man here about his goals......mine were a mirror image to his, but that time has passed. The only way I have the patience for elevated stands these days is in his company. Took a few weeks off from work in late October/early November and will do some deer huntin' on my own.......and on the ground at that. Been doing it that way the last several years anyway and couldn't be more content. No hurry for me to kill the buck anymore, but I have been putting a hurtin' on the channel 'cats from the creek lately. :)........Them deer will still be there when I get around to them. Hey, any idea how I can get rid of all these darned silver whiskers from my beard?

07-Oct-14
Congrats Dylan

07-Oct-14
Thanks Mike! I'm going to email you in a bit. It's been a while.

07-Oct-14
Y'all are making me jealous. I'm dying to get out and my schedule won't let me. Good luck to everyone.

07-Oct-14
Nursing a cold the past 2 days. I have not been out.

07-Oct-14
Well I got a call back today about the deer's ear tags. Apparently these were just put in to collect harvest data mainly. The buck was tagged as a yearling and I harvested him about 2.5 miles from where he was tagged on the Ountalauntee Lake property in Berks county. Interesting information to have.

07-Oct-14
Haven't been out. Squirrel season ain't in yet :^)

07-Oct-14
Jeff, you have to get back over to Ohio, no antler restrictions and I think squirrel came in on Sept 1st. Lots of public land to hunt also and tags are reasonable.

Mike

08-Oct-14
Interesting krazybkid- did you get the $$?

08-Oct-14
Dude, no kidding. I LOVED hunting squirrels in Ohio. Seriously some of my most memorable hunts.

If it wasn't for the fact that I stayed with friends that are a bit too consumed with trophy hunting, I might still be going there.

The last several years it's been more about solitude, peace, and time spent getting to know the mountains around camp. It harder hunting up there, but a lot more relaxing... if that makes any sense.

Have a great season, bud.

08-Oct-14
Had a small 8pt pass by me last night at 41 yards at 5:00pm. Then had a guy come in on me at 5:30, never saw anything else after that.

08-Oct-14
Lots & lots of acorns this year. Deer are hammering them. Haven't seen a buck yet though.

08-Oct-14
We're headed out this afternoon. Haven't seen any acorns yet, but lots of deer sign in our area anyway. Been very windy and rainy around here the past week. Squirrels have been out in full force scrambling to find anything they can. Fishing has been slow the past week or so as well........Best of luck again, guys. :)

08-Oct-14
I understand what you mean Jeff, some of my most memorable hunts were spring gobbler hunting for a week in KY miles back in the hollers away from everyone, many times I got so wrapped up in exploring new ground I forgot I was hunting. Truly great times.

Mike

08-Oct-14
OK. Who are you and what did you do with Mike Tree Brat?

08-Oct-14
Made it out this morning and saw the eclipse on the way to the stand. Got very dark for a while. Saw 2 does. Squirrels were taunting me Jeff. LOL.

09-Oct-14
Missed a yellow Coyote the 1st day with my recurve, got to see a doe and three little ones and a small 3 point. Haven't seen that many acorns and there's no apples.

09-Oct-14
Congratulations to all who have taken deer, and good luck to everyone! Activity here in my corner of 5B has been pretty slow. Spotted one doe late Monday evening, sneaking into a cornfield. Acorns are plentiful...kinda feels like I'm walking on marbles! I think once the corn is cut, the deer will start hitting them pretty hard.

09-Oct-14
My best morning thus far. A nice 8 point came past at 7:10. Just a little to far out. Also had 5 doe pass at 7:45 but let walk. Getting closer.

09-Oct-14
Had a big (body & antlers) 6 point walk by at 9:30 this morning. At least 2 1/2 year old buck, that got the blood pumping!

RC it's taken me 49 years to realize that being a sarcastic smart ass does not serve me well, I gave it up!

Mike

09-Oct-14
Hey don't give it ALL away. That's one of the things I've always cherrished about you ;^)

09-Oct-14
I hunted Monday night and had a doe under me for a good bit. Had fun filming her.A doe and two young ones passed 80 yards below just before dark. I'll get back out tomorrow night and Saturday.

09-Oct-14
From: Treerat ........ ....... Date: 09-Oct-14 RC it's taken me 49 years to realize that being a sarcastic smart ass does not serve me well, I gave it up!

Yeah, but it serves US real well!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

09-Oct-14
Well then it's good to know I have 5 years left - going to enjoy every moment in ignorant bliss. :)

09-Oct-14
Lol

Ok "I'm hooked,I can't stop now"

George when he pretended to start smoking so he didn't have to get married, loved that episode I'm a smoka...BIG Smoka

09-Oct-14
Tree Rat, just go on pretending yer ah real bow hunter. Shoot that sissy pants wheel bow for all I care. Put them trail cameras out to pattern the big boys if ya want. If it wasn't for gadgets ya wouldn't kill squat... Yer ah wannabe.............

09-Oct-14
Had a great afternoon hunt, nothing within range but saw doe, buck, turkey and a red fox. It was pretty windy here till around 5:30, when the wind slowed down the buckwheat field filled up!

09-Oct-14
RC, LOL! You just PM'd me like a week ago asking about how I like my primos cameras! You was fixing on switching over to them? You losing it or did you already loose it? Hey, Ifin by being a real bowhunter you mean not killing a deer for 10 or 15 years like you then you can have it!!!! My little rug rats like eating venison, I shoot the natural ones, not them there food plot baited species yer missing over in Irving!!!

Treebrat

10-Oct-14
:)

Your still easy fishing, Mike...

10-Oct-14
That is awesome stick! She definitely has a priceless smile.

My 3 yr old daughter wants to come with me this year. I'm thinking the ground blind will be best for her. Maybe tonight

10-Oct-14
So COOL stick! :)

10-Oct-14
Still haven't taken the bow for a wwalk yet. Just can't justify the time..or the time to deal with a dead deer yet. Have liberated myself for about an hour and half every morning to take the dog fer a run and hunt some 'shrooms. The honey nushrooms have finally 'lit up' fer real, yesterday nearly two five gallon buckets of primo caps. They've made the jump to gray birch and dead and dying hemlock of which we have oodles due to the wooly aldigae (sp.?) Yesterday found trees with solid runs of small caps to six or eight feet above the ground...will take my foot foot step ladder w/ me next trip..mebbe Sunday. Seeing scads of deer which seem to like the honey shrooms also :) Also found a 2 foot dia. sheepshead yesterday..only my second or third in nearly twenty years of 'shroom hunting now. As a note, starting to see some fox squirrels around home now. Were always a scant few down by the river...never saw one around here until two falls ago..when I saw several within a mile or so of home, unfortunately pancaked on the highway. Never shot a fox squirrel. Tried a whole lot when I was doing a little hunting in SW PA...but they always seemed have an uncanny ability to always keep a bit o' brush between themselves and any open shot fer an arrow ;) Won't hunt deer tomorrow, but 6 year old grandson is all hyped up to go fer a duck hunt with his papa. He'll be doing the calling...he's worked really hard at it for a month now..and has gotten better than I am :) Yes. NOW the music begins, any tips on how to get him to get some sleep...when I know I won't be able to??

10-Oct-14
Good job on the mushrooms, Ed. I thought the sheepshead might be done, but since you just found some, I'm gonna check for em again.

No idea how to get that boy to sleep. I wouldn't worry about it much. Whether he sleeps or not, he'll be wide awake when it matters.

10-Oct-14
Smores, Ed....smores. Fill the young lad's head full of visions of gooey, chocolately, graham cracker goodness...but tell him he must help split the wood, and pick-up sticks for the fire... this technique done right, will have the kid falling asleep before you he can say "where's the marshmallows, papa?" Good luck, my friend! ;-)

10-Oct-14
Jeff, Just in the other house..to grab a few things I need down at the other one. Thought I'd check and see if and how a non-bowhunting (sort of) addition to the 'music' thread might sit? Not suprised to see you and Josh added :) Josh, you have no idea how much that kid loves smores :) And he just called me and specifically asked that jerky and cookies go in the gear bag first. I would not have traveled the trails I have, if it weren't for my Dad and a favorite uncle, both of whom always found (made) time to put aside their own activities a few days in the fall to make sure a a bumbling kid had a day to remember. I'd like to think they were just half as tickled as I am looking forward to tomorrow. Isn't any doubt at all we'll see plenty of deer crossing the creek at first light, too :) More than likely the eagle that's been hanging around for a month, and there have been turkeys flying across at first light as well. From what his mom told me..he's already packed his boots and his camo...

Jeff, I think I mentioned to you we've been dreadful dry here. The rains you all got in western PA in September followed the jet stream well north of us. We had 3/4" in the last four days in two installments and I've been finding angel's wings, oysters, and a couple nice beartooth, and now yesterday's cache. Seeing lots of shaggy manes as well..but I've kinda decided I'm not really crazy about them anymore? Lots of other interesting fungi showing up as well...but nothing I can positively I.D. without doing a spore print..and I don't trust myself enough yet to do them.

well, I'm hiding from work:) I'd best get moving, day's moron half gone...

• Sitka Gear