Bob McArthur 13-Oct-14
Bob McArthur 13-Oct-14
Jeff Durnell 13-Oct-14
Stekewood 13-Oct-14
DaleHajas 13-Oct-14
RC 13-Oct-14
bill v 14-Oct-14
03-Oct-14
Anyone involved in the baiting w/ the new registration of the bait location. Any visits from local game wardens?

03-Oct-14
Baiting sucks... Only sissy pants compound guys use bait...

03-Oct-14
I got my deer attractant permit for an address in Montgomery County. I haven't seen or been contacted by any game wardens yet. I hung my 5 gallon automated feeder from a tree in my hunting location with my sissy pants on.

04-Oct-14
This thread should go well ; )

I hunt Ohio where baiting is legal. I've never baited but I see it not much different than sitting over a food plot or a apple or oak tree dropping fruit.

Mike

04-Oct-14
RC don't "bait" he just plants food plots to sit over. :)

06-Oct-14
Joe, the WCO's do have all the addresses for the permits and they do visit atleast some.

Make sure the permit # is on the can and give a copy to the land owner. If your doing something you shouldn't be doing, They're gonna nab you.

Bill V

06-Oct-14
Go play with your compound bow, Farmer:)

07-Oct-14
Where is a good place to buy a ton of corn?

07-Oct-14
Same place you buy seed, fertilizer, and poison chemicals for your food plot... farmer.

xoxo

:^)

07-Oct-14
How about Molasses, can I get it delivered in like a 1,000 gallon tanker?

:)

07-Oct-14
Hey RC, they got deer corn at Walmart, must be made out of deer because the bag says deer corn

Mike

08-Oct-14
Ew yeah, do it. 1000 gallons of molasses will make a LOT of rum :^)

08-Oct-14
LOL, already have wine brewing here.. :)

08-Oct-14
Spent the first Saturday away from my bait bucket. Got a few good pictures of deer during both daylight and evening hours. I have lived at this location my whole life and it is adjacent to a township park that does not allow hunting. Typically the trail camera will pick up a deer or two a week, but after a week of baiting there are deer tracks all over. Now I just need to program them deer to come during daylight hours. Is anyone adjusting feeding times, amounts or types of feed (protein pellets or corn) and finding any different level of deer movement? I was thinking of turning the feeder to feed once a day at 10:00 AM.

08-Oct-14
Put some apples in your pocket, when you see deer just toss a couple down to the ground. Pretty soon you will have them trained to come to the sound of falling apples. Then ya can stick em..

08-Oct-14

saltgrassarcher's embedded Photo
Just for kicks, I moved one of my trail cams from the feeder to a place in the creekbed under an oak. Everything in the woods came to eat here and corn is piling up under my feeders !!! Not even the squirrels are eating corn....molasses blocks don't even work here. These critters are taking full advantage of Nature's bounty while it lasts. The sad thing is, when the acorns and persimmons are gone, they will start filing to the feeders for slaughter. There is a feeder around here at least every 1/4 mile and when the deer really need supplementing after season closes, all these tightwads turn their feeders off. I liked it alot better when feeders were illegal and compounds had not come into their own. Back then it was hunting, now its just "deer shooting" ......be careful what you wish for !! Baiting will quadruple the number of hunters. Just as releases increased the number of "archers" on the scene. Now that I have probably P.O.'d 80% of ya'll, I would like to say I'm sorry from the depths of my heart.( actually I don't give a s--t.) Sorry, let my PA Scots Irish roots peek out !!! :):):):) If you have any problems with this post address them to Flintnocker. I don't think he's speaking to me either, from the looks of it.

Here's one of my feeders ..... note the only thing eating corn is the doves !!

08-Oct-14

Here's a doe in the creek bed after some acorns.

08-Oct-14

08-Oct-14

Even this guy came for some acorns. Never know what you are gonna see !! Even the coons are passing up the corn. Hard to believe around here.

08-Oct-14
Sweet..............

09-Oct-14
RC Apples are illegal under the law.

Salt: reduce the flow of your food output on your feeder.

09-Oct-14
Roy, drop little rocks/gravel... sounds like acorns (dinner bell) and it's legal. You can fit more gravel in your pockets than you can apples anyways :^)

09-Oct-14
Saltgrass I dont understand, you are complaining about baiting and then you talk about your feeder...please explain, maybe i'm just a dumb yankee taking the bait...LOL

Funny, I dont bait but saw a thread on another forum about someone asking where to find cheap corn. I just happened to be at a Walmart and in the middle of the hunting section they had bags of corn. As I passed by I noticed that the label indicated that it was apple flavored corn. So now they have to start putting apple flavoring in corn to attract deer I guess. Just thought that this was funny.

09-Oct-14
I have done some research and found that if you feed with an automatic feeder (which is mandated by the law), then they will eventually come to the sound of the feeder turning on, just like Pavlov's dogs... I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Then I can even reap the benefits of the feeder if no feed is left in the barrel. I am going to change the settings to exclusively day light hours. This feeding game is as challenging as reading the type of oak (red, white or black), placing a stand between a bedding area and feed or reading the travel direction of deer before trail cameras.

09-Oct-14
toby-- the point I was trying to make was that I wish things in Texas were like they used to be, when baiting was outlawed. Now, if you don't have a feeder, the simple fact is, you get no deer. When gun season opens, there are no apples, persimmons or acorns. So, when your neighbors feeder goes off five minutes before legal shooting time, the deer are hauling it to that feeder. So...like they say..... when in Rome. You'll notice if you look at my feeder, there is an old coffee can. When it goes off, the corn hitting the bottom of the can rings the dinner bell. Quite sporting isn't it ??? Just like ebejef said, it is exactly like Pavlov's dogs. They can tell when your feeder is empty after one feeding and they are VERY fickle. Once they leave your feeder for another, they are quite unlikely to come back.

Also, hunting from a tree stand used to be illegal here. Although it was illegal, everyone and his neighbor was sitting on a tree limb.

The only sporting thing you can do, is to pick out a really nice deer and hunt for that one deer. Then its a little more like one on one.

I have hunted the old, hard way and enjoyed it immensely, and was justly proud to take a deer and happy for anyone in bow camp that managed to take one. How I long for those days when the comraderie was as important as the hunt !!!

Now, hunting is money driven in Texas and just about anything goes. Shame. I think this is why I enjoy following ya'll in the chase. It reminds me of the way it used to be. Thanks for letting me go hunting with you.

John

09-Oct-14
A lot of guys seem to be baiting so much in 5D, they are truly hardcore master baiters. As someone who lives in 5D, I can tell you the whole 5D WMU is a giant food plot. Anyone tha can draw all the deer in your area to your bait station is definitely a master baiter.

09-Oct-14
I'm telling you guys right now straight up... if that's the way it was around here I would quit my job, sell everything, scoop up the family and relocate, leave the country, whatever I had to do... before I would pretend to 'hunt' like that.... or if that simply wasnt possible, I'd just friggin quit altogether. My internal predator tells me that isn't hunting and I have absolutely no interest in that crap whatsoever. If that's what hunting is going to become on a large scale... hunting is screwed. I just got that real worrisome feeling you get around your heart, a sad/scary adrenaline rush, like when you get terrible news about a loved one :^(

Sometimes I wonder why I even get on the internet.

09-Oct-14
I think most guys that bait, shoot compounds. Cause they can't shoot a real bow. Damn shame they can't see the light.. Put a pink skirt on them sissy pants wheelie bow girls I say...

09-Oct-14
Here ya go..

Come here deer and I'll shoot yer arse. All ya need to be a real bow hunter... You master baiters are a joke...

09-Oct-14
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/cmere-deer-ready-to-use-sprayer-32-oz?a=1592517&pm2d=SEM-SPG-DSA&gclid=CN6O2NjCoMECFWcF7AodJkEAsA

A link to instant deer kills.

09-Oct-14
RC says baiting ain't cool it's fer sissy pants.... Gets on his kaubota plants imperial whitetail clover under his stand LOL!

Treebrat

09-Oct-14
Phil is gonna be a busy boy tonight.. LOL

09-Oct-14
C'mon Jeff, you know how it is in this day and age, hunting is for suckers...it's all about killing.

09-Oct-14
I see now Saltgrass, different world down there I guess.

09-Oct-14
Jeff, I completely get where you are coming from but the truth is, in the areas where they now allow baiting, it is 100% about the killing. If someone wants to go out and hunt without bait and enjoy their experience they can but the PGC is desperate for a solution. They don't have the rifle hunters to fill tags like they do upstate. In suburbia, this isn't what hunting is going to become, it's what it is, and it's hunting's last chance.

And for those who hunt the special regs, if you don't maximize your killing potentiall you're slitting your own throat. Go ahead and pass up those antlerless deer and get all purist with the stickbow but don't complain in a few years when the pros are brought in to wipe them out and contraceptives get approved because hunters didn't get the job done. That's what should cause that worrisome feeling around the heart for anyone who hunts in special regs areas. And if you don't think it's coming, just keep cracking jokes and keep your head in the sand. Go upstate for your spiritual awakening. Down here shoot every deer you can or in the near future you won't have any more to shoot at.

10-Oct-14
You keep up the slaughter while I actually hunt and enjoy myself and take one or two doe with my stick bow...maybe even take a buck. I have nothing to worry about because of the kill 'em all mentality of the typical 5D hunter.

10-Oct-14

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo

10-Oct-14
I don't bait but isn't it the same logic as baiting for Bear, draw them out of the thick timber to get a shot. In 5 D where I hunt there is so much property that is posted with so many animal right nuts that don't allow hunting its just a means to draw them off the posted land to the limited land available to hunting. I do agree we have to shoot a lot of deer to keep the PGA off our backs but not a bad thing if you enjoy eating them or helping the food banks or HSH program.

10-Oct-14
Sorry PGC ha

10-Oct-14
I don't buy that animal rights line in the SRA's, especially 5D. Give me a day, and i'd find at least one property to get permission to hunt. I live in 5D. I hunt my own property in 5D. I also have permission to hunt a lot of other properties in 5D. While all properties are posted, most are being legally hunted. Most hunters in 5D are either too lazy, or, too fearful, to spend the time hunting for properties to hunt...that's a fact.

11-Oct-14
I guess my values and circumstances are different. I hunt only big woods. I hunt small game with a bow more than I do deer. I don't aspire to be a management tool in the least. If I did, I would surely utilize weapons, methods, and seasons different than I do now. No, I wouldn't use bait no matter where I was hunting(not even for bear), but if I had to use a flintlock or centerfire to make sure I filled my deer tags, to be a tool, I would.

11-Oct-14
I live and hunt in 5d and have for many years. How is it a fact that most hunters here are lazy or fearful? Are you saying that because they choose to do things different than you? The last time I checked hunting is a hobby, some of us choose to hunt as much as possible the entire season and scout and prepare the entire off season while others may only get out once the whole year. Either way I don't see how they can be classified as lazy or fearful. I hunt a bunch of different properties some are baited and some are not, the ones that are baited are done so because that's the only way to bring deer onto those properties, there small lots that are surrounded by properties that are closed to hunting. The way I see it is as long as there are no laws being broken everyone should be able to hunt any way they choose with out being called lazy or fearful.

11-Oct-14
Yes, mrw... I agree... unless they ARE. They ARE out there ya know, in DROVES, and those are the folks Bob was referencing. He DID say "most", not 'all'. It's a 'if the shoe fits' kinda thing :^) I don't call people lazy because they're different than me... I call them lazy because they're friggin' LAZY! And guess what... there's no shortage of lazy hunters around nowadays, just look. It is what it IS.

Now that I think about it... if you throw the preponderance of laziness in much of today's society into a mixing bowl, fold-in the still-growing sense of entitlement, add a dash of deer hunting's competitiveness... leaning more now toward an 'organized sport', and season to taste with a brainwashed/ingrained need for nearly-instant gratification, let is rest, then lay it on a bed of convenience afforded us by runaway technology and gear designed, marketed, and readily accepted by today's hunters to head in those unnatural or unhealthy directions... it is likely the perfect recipe for a hunter I have absolutely NOTHING in common with, and why I have absolutely NOBODY to contend with in the mountains up at camp. It is what it is. In a selfish, short-sighted sense I'm almost grateful. In a deeper sense, if I concern myself with hunting's direction and future, it makes me a little sad.

11-Oct-14

Can see that hunting in PA is starting to become money driven like it is here. Corn is for sale EVERYWHERE, from the courthouse to the liquor store !! Took a couple of photos today while we were in town. One is at our small town grocery and the other is at the feed store. Our pop. is around 2500 during the week, and jumps to about 20,000 on weekends and holidays during deer season !!!! This is ranching country, and all lands are privately owned. Ranchers lease their land at 100 acres per hunter, and charge them $1800 per season. These ranches run from around 1000ac to 10,000ac. Quite a lucrative business, not to mention all the other "trappings" such as 4 wheelers, camping trailers, cammo, etc, etc, etc. It has become a multi billion dollar business here in this state.

The seasons are extremely long.... begin in late Sept and end in mid January.

It looks like the writing is on the wall for you guys up there. Protect your public lands if you can, and your right to carry just a stick and a string.

Hope your little communities don't wind up looking like ours.

11-Oct-14

Here is your molasses block station at the grocery !!!

11-Oct-14

All this, and much more will be sold before season is over ---- they don't ever have any left-overs !!!

11-Oct-14

11-Oct-14
Them things look like a lineup of the gub'ments robodogs ready for domestic terrorism :^)

Lazy is as lazy does.

Define "hunt" for me.

Ya know, I wuz just born too late... wayyyy too late. I wish I could be tranported back in time... seriously... to the Pleistocene perhaps... I'll take my damn chances... and do well enough... me thinks :)

Hmmph, since I haven't allowed myself to be brainwashed, don't feel a need to compete or fit today's hunter's mold... I ain't gotta justify ANY of that 'aid' crap. I'm industry-free... off the grid :^) Heck, I don't even need to hunt deer at all. I could just as well do without em... almost do. Youn'z(generalizing) are being taken advantage of... exploited... so YOU deal with it. YOU justify it. YOU condemn it, or not, or try to find some sense of balance... with nature. It's just too obscure for me.

Personally, I just feel sad for hunting... our heritage and the legacy we'll leave behind. Just wish it didn't happen in my lifetime. I'm embarassed.

I AM trying not to be melodramatic.

Thanks Saltgrass for the reality check.

Watch yer top knot, boys. They're pushin.

11-Oct-14
wow. obviously, been a little out of it. been trying to revamp my strategy here since my lab spent yesterday running the deer out of my corn, now need to figure routes from without rather than within, compensate for prevailing NW wind, factor in the white oaks sprinkled around, a red oak or two, couple favorite crab apples, how the creek-bed might hold 'em instead, will the big guys even return, might I have a better shot now at a big guy when the corn is cut, etc, etc,. And to think pretty soon I may just have the privilege of baiting....oh boy.. that will save me an awful lot of time thinking about this

11-Oct-14
Et dare dang dowg's been runnin all duh deer outta ma kern patch, and even if'n I tie heem up, whatamuh gonna do when duh kern's all cut 'n gone? Won't be no big deers comin' round to shoot at den...

Dammm... kern keels...

lmao

Sorry Edge... couldn't resist :^)

12-Oct-14
Oh Boy.. :)

12-Oct-14
Why does it say in the hunting regulations, that baiting is illegal. Isn't baiting a means to attract and hold game animals on you property? Let me see, on the ads and bags, they make the claim, Do you want bigger deer, see more deer, and hold more deer on your property? Then buy our seed an grow your food plot to hunt and see more game. Think about it. Once this plots are in, they have one big bait pile. Even Pat with his property in Pa. technically is in violatation of the baiting laws. Just like all of the others that have food plots. Remember that food plots are not for profit. They are not natural nor for commerical such as corn fields, wheat, or soybeans, etc.

12-Oct-14
It is a Tool! And a needed one at that.

Lazy, most are not. Spend over 200 hrs on stand in a season, I know lots of guys that do , lazy guys don't do that. Count in the endless hrs of dragging and gutting, getting home at 9 pm from the butcher after working all day.

We do it because we love to be in the trees. We've done it to open up properties to bowhunting. We proved management can be done with archery equipment in areas and on properties where guns will not work.

We also know we will not shoot p&y bucks at these baited properties and we sit them anyway. We mainly bait very small properties to get cross movement. I pulled 4 permits this year, have bait at 3 of them. I shot a doe at the unbaited site on Friday.

Stekewood is right. If we don't take enough we will lose opportunity. They will send in sharp shooters. Ask some guys who hunt in twps what it's like after a few years of that.

Its a tool.

For you guys that asked

What I've learned: If a group comes in,only shoot the big doe or they won't come back That's your primary target anyway

After doe is down, start bleating the others will come back in

Billv

12-Oct-14
It seems we have some people trying to justify to themselves, the things they do. Thanks for sharing your troubled conscience. :)

Go back and re-read what I wrote. I was responding to a comment Joebow made about posted land in 5D and his perception of animal rights supporters in 5D. I didn't write that those that bait are lazy, although some of you felt the need to justify your use of bait. I said most hunters in 5D ARE TOO LAZY, OR, TOO FEARFUL TO SPEND THE TIME HUNTING FOR PROPERTIES TO HUNT.

Sleep well if you can. :)

12-Oct-14
LMFAO......Phil's gonna kick all yer asses. :)

Do what you please that's legal wherever you are. I couldn't care less. That said, you'll never hear me making excuses that justify doing it. Texas is a HUGE sissy-pants deer pimping state. Best of luck rationalizing all that garbage here........I'll just run the other direction and take my 'chit with me. Kill 'em all again, it's what YOU deserve.

12-Oct-14
Isn't it ironic who made the biggest attempt at justification in this thread?

"You keep up the slaughter while I actually hunt and enjoy myself and take one or two doe with my stick bow...maybe even take a buck. I have nothing to worry about because of the kill 'em all mentality of the typical 5D hunter."

12-Oct-14
:)

12-Oct-14
That comment was a response to your justification to kill every deer you see,, and, how did you say, "maximise your killing potential" (read baiting) as well as insinuating should one want to actually have a hunting experience, or, as you put it "get all purist with a stick bow...". You"'re the one that brought the term purist into the conversation. Me thinks you have a problem with traditional archers for some unbeknown reason.

Here's exactly what I was responding to.

" And for those who hunt the special regs, if you don't maximize your killing potentiall you're slitting your own throat. Go ahead and pass up those antlerless deer and get all purist with the stickbow but don't complain in a few years when the pros are brought in to wipe them out and contraceptives get approved because hunters didn't get the job done. That's what should cause that worrisome feeling around the heart for anyone who hunts in special regs areas. And if you don't think it's coming, just keep cracking jokes and keep your head in the sand. Go upstate for your spiritual awakening. Down here shoot every deer you can or in the near future you won't have any more to shoot at."

12-Oct-14
I like Kettle Kern! That stuff is yummy!

Mike

12-Oct-14
Problem with traditional archers? Hahaha. Maybe you should check out my bow collection sometime. The idea that you somehow get more enjoyment out of your method of hunting is laughable and is a classic example of the arrogant, and ignorant, attitude of a traditional archery newbie. Stick with it a while and you'll see it's not actually as difficult as you think it is. ;-)

13-Oct-14
You're unbelievable, I've been talking about a mindset, you're the one that introduced equipment into the conversation. One thing we agree on, traditional archery isn't,t hard. In many ways, I find it's easier than using a compound bow.. Surprised?

What we have in 5D is mostly is the killer mentality. Go into any hunting shop and listen to the conversations. The one conversation I really love is when a killer makes excuses and tries to justify why he killed an "inferior"animal. One thing's for certain, The killer mentality is good for business. I find that mentality toxic, it's not for me. I'll stick with the hunting mentality. I like that place and I like the people in it...no matter if they use a compound, crossbow, or a gawdawful traditional bow.

13-Oct-14
Bob, it's not just 'a 5d thing'. That mentality is everywhere nowadays. Unfortunately, I know too way many folks like that.

13-Oct-14
I've been good here, Phil.. :)

13-Oct-14
Oh come on Bob. Now you're gonna try to say that you aren't a killer too? You deserve more credit than that. :-). How exactly are the "one or two does and maybe a buck that you might take" going to die their special deaths?

13-Oct-14
I still smoke cigars and try not to condemn those that don't:)

13-Oct-14
I get it dale!!! but I'm not smokin no stinkin cigar!

13-Oct-14
You don't understand what I'm talking about, maybe one day you will..

13-Oct-14

Stekewood's MOBILE embedded Photo
Stekewood's MOBILE embedded Photo

13-Oct-14
I have trouble comprehending threads like this. One thing i've noticed for sure, is there are different strokes for different folks. Some of you are content to hike several miles through the woods, and climb that mountain. The hunt is more about the journey...you'll pass up shots at an eight point, but an elusive squirrel gets your heart pounding. You'll end your nature walk, with a sack full of wild mushrooms, several encounters with game animals, and content and happy with just being off the beaten path. I hope to do the same someday. When I read your stories, see your pictures, I feel like I am out there with you. Maybe it is hard for you to understand what it is like, to literally hunt in someones backyard. I'm sure when you are miles back in wilderness, you never hear cars honking their horns...never see hikers, or people walking dogs. I'm also fairly confident, that you've never encountered another person badgering you, for wearing camo and killing innocent animals, either. For the guys who live and hunt, in and around more urban areas, it is a very fine line which we walk on. I don't hunt in 5D...I don't know the area, or the circumstances on why baiting is allowed. It seems however, that this thread has had more than a few contributors, casting stones at not only those who bait, but those that hunt urban areas. In these areas, there has to be a "killer" mentality. You don't have to "hunt"....the folks who gave you permission to "hunt", already know the deer are there. They are asking US, as BOWHUNTERS, to come in and get rid of the problem. If we can't do it, then sharpshooters are called in, or animal contraception is proposed....guess who pays for that in the end?

I feel like most of you do... i was definitely born 100 years too late. I sometimes imagine myself in the shoes of Jeremiah Johnson...or hunting buffalo on the undisturbed plains of the west. I miss the hunting culture of days past. This country is evolving folks. Hunters are not really held in a positive light anymore. Most of our methods are seen by many as cruel,blood-thirsty, and unneeded. It doesn't matter whether you're wearing traditional garb shooting a long bow, or if you're wearing a Scent-Lok suit toting a crossbow. Anything we can do to show bowhunting is a safe, effective, and efficient method for population control, bodes well for all of us. The guys spending 200 hours a year in a tree, removing multiple deer from a residential areas and farms, are the ones who are trying to help turn the tide. I understand that many of you don't "get it"....or would rather pack up a move if thats what it came down to. That is fine...that is your decision. But, please...don't stand on your soap box, and brow beat the guys trying to help keep archery and bowhunting relevant for all of you too.

13-Oct-14
It was certainly interesting hunting Monroeville and having a jogger wish me luck as he jogged past me, as I was sitting on the ground. as was my brother as he was confronted by Monroeville Police as he was in his treestand on his MIL's property. They don't wear Orange.

The city deer are CONSTANTLY on high alert. I find them more intuitive than suburban or big woods critters. The townhouses have 6' tall solid fences behind their residences in insure privacy..... the dopes.......I have watched deer for years bed down along the fence, virtually leaning on them. The homeowners don't even know the deer are there.

I can see why baiting is necessary, to KILL deer- it ain't no "harvest"- friggin libtard term..... There doesn't have to be a happy middle somewhere. I hunt at fields edge , there happens the be several crabapple trees and a garden. Deer don't like the asparagus, but I sure do:)

13-Oct-14
Like I always say, "whatever makes you feel better about doing it makes it right".

13-Oct-14
"A sport is the effort which is carried out for the pleasure that it gives in itself and not for the transitory result that the effort brings forth… In utilitarian hunting the true purpose of the hunter, what he seeks and values, is the death of the animal. Everything else that he does before that is merely a means for achieving that end, which is its formal purpose.

In hunting as a sport this order of means to end is reversed. To the sportsman the death of the game is not what interests him; that is not his purpose. What interests him is everything that he had to do to achieve that death—that is, the hunt…". - Ortega y Gasset

13-Oct-14
"In utilitarian hunting the true purpose of the hunter, what he seeks and values, is the death of the animal."

Bingo! You're catching on.

13-Oct-14
~(8o)

13-Oct-14
Josh, that was a very well-stated and heartfelt post. I feel you and agree with you for the most part, but you, innocently enough, made some assumptions that I'd like to address.

First, I don't need anybody to keep bowhunting and archery 'relevant' for me... in no shape or form... in ANYone's eyes... including other bowhunters... I got it. I'll express it my way, physically and verbally, when it needs to be :^) Honestly, and with complete humility, "they're" not capable. They don't know me... they CAN'T... and it's blatantly obvious they don't know or care. (I don't expect or inherently want them to).

Additionally, I've hunted deer, turkey and small game in some of the fastest growing urban areas, industrial parks, housing plans, and yep, in/around back yards, special/select season/area/weapon opportunities, treehuggin' property leasors, dealt face to face with nylon-entombed overly-emotional hiker/spectators, even hunted up against an HSUS property for years, around the north-Pittsburgh area. So yeah, I "get it". There's a problem... without a simple easy solution. It's karma IMO :^) There's lots of 'problems'. 'Bowhunters' offer some semblence of a solution. But my priorities have changed and I just refuse to go there... play that game. I don't friggin' care if they bring sharpshooters in. Hell, I'll shoot em myself in a heartbeat, and do a whole lot better than they do. But WOULDN'T call it hunting.

Instead of 'hunting' like that, just minutes from home, I save all my vacation time, and drive halfway across the state sometimes to do what I gotta do to feed the hunter/gatherer soul that is ME. I don't begrudge those that choose to continue to 'remove deer', embrace or ignore the politics of it, or don't have much of a choice regarding their 'how's' and why's... but I will ALWAYS call a spade a spade... with all the respect I can muster.

13-Oct-14
Thank you Bob... for the Ortega reminder.

Dale... nice. I hear ya, brother.

I need to be on the OUTside... later....

13-Oct-14
Oh you guys, Get off of these threads and go Kill something !!!

Bill V.

13-Oct-14
You guys are crazy I have Bow-hunted 3A & 5D & Southern Tier NY for the past 34 years DYI w/ my Dad who is 77 we own no land and have gotten permission on hundreds of acres of land building long time relationships, just like most of us. So if I hunted over bait I am labeled a lazy killer from the suburbs Come on guys. So this Lazy 5D resident bow-hunter will "kill Deer " whenever and wherever I get the opportunity legally and ethically. It's all hunting if you do it right. We wait all year for a short period of time so I love being in a tree and shooting my bow at animals no mater where it is at. I have yet to kill a P & Y or B& C like most of us if we are truthful ( so much for being easy in the burbs). The "lazy slobs" are in all the regions they are the one's that don't get permission, steal stands, bait, camera's, kill deer saw the antlers off leave the deer lay, trash the property's we got permission are the one's we should be casting stones at not the brothers that do it right no matter what region.... sorry about the rant..

13-Oct-14
Not surprised you left this out, ".To the sportsman the death of the game is not what interests him; that is not his purpose. What interests him is everything that he had to do to achieve that death—that is, the hunt..."

I like being a Sportsman.

13-Oct-14
I'm gonna leave this deer mngt. stuff up to you guys for a few weeks. I'm heading to wyoming!! :)

Bill V.

13-Oct-14
So lets end this non-sense and go hunt and kill a deer or 2...

13-Oct-14
Bob, my yet-unmet brother of a different mother... I'll hunt HARD, fish, trap, slink, sulk, and lull away days and/or nights with you any time, any where... we're blood.

... just had 'the season's' first melting of inside loins upon my palate.... oh my... herbal... spicy... and all day-bbq'd... with a spoonful of sweet taters and wild mushrooms... sharin' with the rest of the pack now...(lil dogs).

mmm, to DIE for...

"trophy?"

lmao...

and we haven't yet pulled anything off the smoker...

3... 2... 1...

... brethern standing/leaning against my left and right legs as I type this...

they're hungry... gotta go...

damn... I hate pressure...

13-Oct-14
Bob, That was left out because, unlike the first part which totally nails it (and I gave you credit for it), it has no relevance to the topic.

Nothing wrong with being a sportsman or liking it but we are talking about 5D here and whether you choose to participate or not utilitarian hunting, and I use that term broadly, is the name of the game. Even your brother of a different mother has acknowledged that it's a different ballgame in suburbia. Jeff's love of the outdoors is excellent, he certainly walks the walk and it is refreshing to see his passion.

If it makes you feel like a sportsman playing Tanto out behind your swing set in the backyard, have at it! That's your right. In the meantime I'm gonna get back to packing for the Wyoming moose hunt that I've been waiting 14 years for the opportunity to go on. Hope I can kill one without bait.... :-)

13-Oct-14
Jeff, I'm honored.

Joe, you can rant anytime you want brother, nothing like reading a good rant. However, I went back and read all the posts in this thread and nobody said that people that bait are lazy, nor did anyone say they were lazy slobs. The only people thatt made the jump to baiting being lazy, or not, are the ones that's are justifying it.

13-Oct-14
Best of luck to you Stekewood, I hope it turns out to be the best hunt you've ever been on. Be safe my friend.

13-Oct-14
Steke... good luck on those Wyoming moose. I've been fortunate enough to sneak within selfbow range of em a few times... one was a little bit of a scarey hunt... Rockies... big storm rolled in... viewed it from above... and then inside... 'met' the moose... no moose tag... that never keeps me from sneakin' on em tho... almost got my ass in trouble... weather/moose/life/partner-wise... long story... lol

13-Oct-14
Thanks guys. Let's throw some good wishes Billv's way. He'll be northeast of me a bit, chasing bighorn rams around the mountains at the same time! Lucky man!!!!!

13-Oct-14
And Bill deserves that big ram to boot...... Go Get em buddy. Best of luck to you steke as well!

13-Oct-14
I love beer and bows... :) And these little spats on here.. BUT ANYMORE, I JUST SMILE AT THEM...............

14-Oct-14
Thank you guys. Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight

Save some whitetails for me. I be back in the trees with you when I get back!!

Bill v

• Sitka Gear