gobbler 09-Oct-14
gcoleman 09-Oct-14
mudflap 10-Oct-14
gobbler 10-Oct-14
Babysaph 10-Oct-14
Babysaph 10-Oct-14
gcoleman 10-Oct-14
09-Oct-14
I was just wondering does anyone raise and butcher their own animals anymore? I mean hogs, beef, chickens and rabbits. Growing up we always butchered hogs and chickens and did all the work ourselves. From raising the animal to processing and then my favorite part,consuming. This was a family event with everyone including grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins all showing up to do their part. Everyone knew who the shooter would be and who the best sticker was and then they would talk about that one time when.... Does anyone else remember what I am talking about? I havent participated in an Ol'Fashion Hog Scalding for a few years and I am starting to get the itch. Wont be long and it will probably be illegal to do any of it. Goodbye family farm and goodbye to the days of being able to care for ones own self. Anyways, does anyone know what the special is today at Shoneys?

James

09-Oct-14
I thought chicken came from McDonalds. I remember helping with butchering. Making puddin.

09-Oct-14
I remember butchering hogs and cows. Bait them to you with a bucket of feed them shoot between the eyes with a 22

09-Oct-14
I miss that part of my child hood as well, but my daughter her husband my wife and I have made up our mind in the last 3 years to be as self sufficient as we can,,, raise most all our own vegetables big garden and green house,, freeze and can them,,, raise chickens to butcher and for eggs,, most of our meat is deer meat and we buy organic pork and beef from from friends,, I'm getting ready for raising meat rabbits next spring.... I work my self to death daylite to dark but I get a sense of security and accomplishment in living like this,,, Im betting Im not the only one on here that raises food ,,,anyone else like me...id be interested to know who

10-Oct-14
I have started raising chickens and have thought about getting some rabbits. Rabbit poop is probably the best fertilizer you can get. I have read articles where people keep their rabbits over their garden and let the poop and pee go directly on it. I believe people need to be self reliant. I am thankful everyday that my grandparents taught me how to grow a garden. I am thankful my mother taught me how to cook what I growed. I am thankful my dad taught me how to be a man and provide for myself and my family. I dont want to have to rely on someone else to provide for me. My mom talks about in the early 80's when my dad got layed off from the glass factory. She said he trapped,dug ginseng/yellow root, painted barns, delivered calves any odd job he could find to make ends meet. I remember going to Turkey Shoots with my dad when I was young. He was a pretty good shot with the muzzleloader. He would always come home with a ham or turkey. Those were good times. Gcoleman you have given me an idea with the green house, thanks.

James

10-Oct-14
Rabbit poop is good fertilizer. They have a very inefficient digestive system. They are copraphagic . Which means they eat their own poop. They don't absorb all the nutrients the first time so they eat it again to get more nutrients .

Even though they are poop eaters, fried rabbit is one of my favorite foods.

10-Oct-14
I have been raising my own food as well. My gf and I started 2 years ago. I eat a lot of deer meat as well. It may be self defense in the future

10-Oct-14
Mudflap, men like your dad are a rare breed. My dad was the same way. He would work like a dog. I miss him,

10-Oct-14
reason I want to do rabbits is I read that a rabbit produces more meat per pound of food eaten than any other animal ,,, plus they are butchering size in 6 weeks and they like to breed lol.... I too am glad I had a grandfather who was a commercial farmer and self made man,,,theres a book out called ONE ACRE AND SECURITY its about using small pieces of land to raise all your food for family of 4,,,, mudflap if you are interested in green house I found a plan for one thats 12 by 10 that you can build in couple hours,,, google HOOP GREEN HOUSE made of cattle panels and 2x4s and green house plastic ,, wife has stuff growing up to jan and started again in march,,, if could afford to heat it we could go year round

• Sitka Gear