MDC Bowhunter Survey
Missouri
Contributors to this thread:
split_toe 09-Oct-14
Show-Me Greg 13-Oct-14
Schmitty78 17-Oct-14
tico 18-Oct-14
09-Oct-14
How many of you guys participate in the bow hunter survey each year.

I feel that the more archery hunters log deer sightings we can get an ACCURATE number on the deer herd. This would be a better management tool than harvest numbers and what gun hunters want.

Last years data was really interesting especially with the EHD outbreaks and unlimited does tags over the years.

Any thoughts?

Would anyone like to know what the average deer sightings per 1000 hours are for their county?

Here is a few I know where some of you hunt:

Macon 679 deer per 1000 hrs Ralls 1800 deer per 1000 hrs Worth 1813 deer per 1000 hrs Knox 1221 deer per 1000 hrs

STATE AVERAGE 1.3 DEER PER HOUR

13-Oct-14
I get the survey and have completed it for about 10 years.

My average deer sighting numbers have been going down for 3-4 years. This year is NO exception.

Numbers are way down in the areas I have hunted for 30 plus years.

17-Oct-14
I've been doing this for going on 15 years now also. It's been a great resource for me from year to year. It's surprising to look back and see the fluctuations in both buck and doe sightings from year to year! I can tell you my pre food plot years had way fewer doe sightings even though I do believe I have fewer does now than 10-15 years ago. Totally agree that this could give a much more accurate count on the herd, as long as everybody accurately records their hunts that is.

18-Oct-14
I don't think i have ever gotten one. I use to keep my own in a spiral at the camper but sort of lost interest after a while. I know last year was BAD.

• Sitka Gear