JayD 09-Oct-14
ken 09-Oct-14
gcoleman 10-Oct-14
Babysaph 10-Oct-14
WVM&M 10-Oct-14
Bennett2012 10-Oct-14
gcoleman 10-Oct-14
09-Oct-14
After being blamed by my good friend gcoleman of costing him a 140 buck because he was reading a text from me. ( I think it was buck fever, LOL), it got me to thinking. I know texting helps break up the time and gives piece of mind to a lot of people being able to keep in contact with family while hunting, BUT does it interfere with your hunting?

Beyond texting, considering smart phones in general by using them to help pass time by games, Internet etc.

The question is; has your phone interfered with your chance of killing a deer by not seeing it until too late or whatever?

Thanks

09-Oct-14
I see it going both ways as it can be a distraction at the absolute wrong time as Georgie points out. However, I say in the long run it increases my odds. Getting to text, read the internet, etc. helps keep me in the stand during an all day hunt. More hours in the woods = higher odds of seeing a shooter.

09-Oct-14
If you remember last year George got caught picking his nose by a 130 class buck so don't be to hard on yourself. I'm not sure if a phone has kept me from seeing deer or not but I know my old deaf ears have. I read some from a stand too and I figure I have missed a few deer because of that. I have also had deer slip in on me while I was scanning the area and being on full alert. I know I enjoy reading texts from my buddies letting me know how their hunt is going. I will continue to hunt the way I enjoy.

09-Oct-14
I agree with WVMULE. To date it has not cost me. I even used smart phone to take pictures of a nice 8 last fall and a Doe this year. The flash even went off on doe and she did not bolt. But I know it does keep me on stand longer.

09-Oct-14
I text from time to time. No more time than I do it, I haven't had it ruin any chances yet. God Bless

09-Oct-14
When my wife was pregnant with our youngest child I kept my phone on vibrate while I hunted. One evening I just started to draw on a really nice buck when my mother called - the vibrating phone scared that deer away. He was about 15 yards away from me. Then another time just a few years ago I was texting my wife one morning to make sure she made it home from work ok and almost had a nice 10 point get away me! I heard him step on ice from a nearby stream. The crunch of the ice caught my attention but he came close to getting by me!

09-Oct-14

09-Oct-14
For George some excuse is better than nothing

10-Oct-14
watch it wilson,,,I have my kindle on my phone so I read a lot when slow,, on gobbler story above I hadn't seen a deer all morning only 1000 squirrel s the noise from squirrels got to the point it was wearing me out checking out the noise,, all us old timers know that a deer don't sound like a squirrel but after 5 hours of no deer i had let my guard down,,, also i have to use my glasses to read texts but not to shoot...so I hear sound and sorta dismiss it as another squirrel but didn't sound right as I looked over my shoulder off the hill going right at me and maybe directly under my stand came a stud buck,,it was on my off side so I had put up glasses , put up phone, turn totally around in stand to the off side by now the buck is 15 yards broadside but so rutted up he don't notice me,,, so by now Im doing the baby step thing to turn up hill by the time I turn he is still broad side at 20 yards but a huge log is covering his vitals and the log is 40 foot long and level with vitals so he just walks out of my life,, I snort wheezed him back, in but to my dismay he comes back to log and stands there and then walks off,,,, thats my story and I'm sticking to it,,, not just texting got me but bad luck

10-Oct-14
I read on my phone. Mist of the time I don't have service where I hunt.

10-Oct-14
Almost cost me my no. 2 biggest buck. But fortunately threw phone to ground and made shot. Ever since then im very hesitant to pull phone out. Also my work is a constant distraction so putting phone down and turning off vibrator is required for me sometimes.

10-Oct-14
Texting or browsing the net keeps me occupied and keeps me on stand longer and plus if ya got some buddies with ya they can let ya know something's coming your way or let ya know when ya day is over and they need your help dragging lol

10-Oct-14
great for emergencies as well or if need help drag gin....old bob dunn used his in tennesee when a bunch of hogs run him up a tree and his gun on ground and it was getting dark... the message was one of the funniest I ever got,,, remember that bobby lol lol,,, HELP BOARS GOT ME TREED AND FLINTLOCK IS ON GROUND AND ITS DARK AND I DONT HAVE A FLASHLITE,, SOME ONE GET THE ATV AND GET YOUR ARSE UP HERE QUICK BRING A GUN CAUSE THE HOGS WONT LEAVE I CANT HOLD MY SELF UP THIS TREE MUCH LONGER,,,, lol then you hear HO SH---!! and silence lol

• Sitka Gear